Start by marking “The Eleventh Metal (Mistborn, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Eleventh Metal (Mistborn, #0.5)

The Eleventh Metal

(Mistborn #0.5)

Also available in Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection.

"This story was written specifically for the Mistborn Adventure Game, a tabletop RPG. Please keep in mind that the story was intended to help a GM bring his players up to speed on the world if they haven’t read the books. There are a few goodies for those who want to know more about Kelsier, but this story is not
Published July 1st 2012 by Crafty Games (first published April 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Eleventh Metal, please sign up.
Tracy No. Read the main books first and then all of the 0.5s. Otherwise there will be spoilers for the main plotlines. The others are an interesting supplem…moreNo. Read the main books first and then all of the 0.5s. Otherwise there will be spoilers for the main plotlines. The others are an interesting supplement to the main stories.(less)
Agnese If youre patient enough, this story is going to be a part of Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection, a compilation of all little stories important …moreIf youre patient enough, this story is going to be a part of Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection, a compilation of all little stories important for Cosmere.(less)

Start your review of The Eleventh Metal (Mistborn, #0.5)
Melanie
1.) The Final Empire ★★★★★
2.) The Well of Ascension ★★★
3.) The Hero of Ages ★★★★
3.5) Secret History ★★★★★

This is a prequel story to the Mistborn series! It’s very short, but I absolutely loved the story. And, to be completely honest, I love seeing anything that stars Kelsier! This story centers around a man named Gemmel who is teaching Kelsier to use his Mistborn powers. And his powers are eventually put to the test when he is required to fight another Mistborn who is up to some no-good deeds. A
Petrik
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5/5 Stars

Mini review
(I read this in Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection)

The Eleventh Metal is a short prequel to the original Mistborn trilogy which depicted the beloved character from the series, Kelsier, on his training to master his skills as a Mistborn with his mentor, Gemmel and it also shows the first spark of Kelsier’s idea for vengeance. Overall, this short story is a good short read for me, while it's enjoyable to read more of Kelsier, other than Gemmel’s appearance it provides
✨ A ✨
He couldn’t return to Luthadel until … until he was himself again. Or at the very least a scarred version of himself, the wounds closed, the memories quieted.

This is a super short story about Kelsier's Mistborn training with his teacher Gemmel before the events of The Final Empire.

The things he suffered in the Pits of Hathsin are still fresh in his mind and he is broken.

How could he smile in a world without her?
Kelsier kept smiling. He’d do so until it felt natural. Until that numbness, ti
Hamad
"I'm a man who has lived through things he shouldn't have."

This was a short story exploring the relation between Kelsier and Gemmel who teached him about allomancy. It was good to see Kelsier as someone fresh to the magic and still not the master we know from the original trilogy.

I think the story can work as an epilogue to the Mistborn world, where it very quickly gives an idea about the world-building and the magic system which are the two best things in this series. I think it is a good s
Lady Luna. ✨
4/5

This book was so amazing ! Probably my least favorite Mistborn Novella but it was still awesome and it's totally worth reading.

description
Veronica Morfi
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was happily surprised to find out that this was a Kelsier story. It was a short glimpse of him training as a Mistborn with his mentor. Gives us an idea of what changes he had to go through and how he decided on his plan to kill the Lord Ruler.
Valliya Rennell
3 stars

This gif basically sums this up:

...except Gemmel and Kelsier use allomancy instead of hands to climb up walls.

This 20 page short story takes up farthest back in the Mistborn timeline that we have seen so far. I always like returning to the original trilogy because of that unique atmosphere it gives you with the tone and the intensity of the Lord Ruler's world. Brandon Sanderson wrote this for a game. It was meant to serve as both a little bit of fun new content for long-time readers as we
ℨαrα
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sigh.
Dear old Kelsier.
I’m not being coherent but.
I loved it.
Sigh.
TS Chan
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read as part of Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection

I've been dying to get my hands on this piece of short fiction which took place pre-Mistborn: The Final Empire, simply because Kelsier is one of my favourite characters of all time!

As such, I was absolutely delighted when Arcanum Unbounded was announced to contain this snippet of a prequel story of the Mistborn series' most charismatic rogue/hero. It's a really short piece but provided some interesting insights leading to the larger story
Anish Kohli
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
“I’m here to teach you how to fight. Not how to talk. You already do that.” ~ Gemmel
A very short story about Kelsier before the events of the Final Empire and when Kelsier was still trying to gain better control of his new found abilities and dealing with his losses still.

Frankly speaking, this story adds nothing to the Final Empire in any way and I don’t think it will add to the rest of the trilogy either. However, I think the value that this short story can offer is in terms of nostalgia
Scott  Hitchcock
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Weird being back in that world and trying to recall who different characters were. An OK story.
Mel Anie
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: priority-series
Rating: 4,5

The Eleventh Metal is one of the short stories from Arcanum Unbounded. It tells the story of Kelsier and Gemmel and shows their relations as those of student and master. It is also stated that it can be read before The Final Empire.

The Eleventh Metal was an enjoyable read. It was a little confusing when it came to abilities of Allomancers, but with progressing pages, some of my questions found their answers.

This short story also gave me an intro to the idea of world and pol
Bea
Very minor spoilers below!

A very short read but an enjoyable one. It felt good to be back in a story from Kelsier’s point of view and find out more about how his grand plan from The Final Empire came to be. Also information about Gemmel, Kelsier’s tutor helped me understand Kelsier’s ruthlessness when it came to teaching Vin.

3 stars.
Mario
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
As if I'd give this any less than five stars :)
Lena K.
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A nice short story about Kelsier's decision that started the whole trilogy.
It was too short though... Damn! I missed Kelsier :(

Secret History here I come!
Terence
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Burn, push, and pull. Mistborn training takes place as a younger Kelsier just months out of the Pits of Hathsin is learning to fight like a real Mistborn.

The Eleventh Metal reads just like The Final Empire except Kelsier is being trained to be a Mistborn by Gemmell rather than him training Vin. All of the over explained Mistborn moves have returned as well. This is just a sneak peek into the moments when Kelsier's plans started to take form. I imagine anyone who loved the original Mistborn trilo
catherine ♡
Nov 15, 2020 rated it liked it
I missed Kelsier and his snarkiness :') ...more
Avinash
Kelsier again... It was like meeting your old forgotten friend...

Although it's real tiny story and not a very important one or have missing pieces like Mistborn : secret History, but you can read it in 10 min so what the hell.. Read it..

And yeah! The bonus is - You'll get to know a little about the person who taught Kelsier allomancy.. So a big YES..

Not more than 3.5 stars only because there wasn't much to read :P
Dannii Elle
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a prequel short story to the first Mistborn trilogy, but I didn't manage to get my hands on it until after I had read book one. It follows Kelsier, a major player in The Final Empire, as he hones his Mistborn skills with mentor Gemmel (a nod to fantasy legend David Gemmell, I wonder?).

I would say that reading this after reading the first full length Mistborn novel enhanced my experience, as it added a layer of poignancy I wouldn't have otherwise garnered from it. I also found that a fami
Lauren
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Short but superb! I really loved this little snippet we get of Kelsier's training as a Mistborn under Gemmel's tutelage. They also happen to stumble across something very unsavoury in Keep Sezler too! Reading this made me lament the loss of Kelsier :'( but it's here where we see him realise that he needs to become something more in order to "save" humanity from the nobility's rule.

Brilliant!
Holden Johnson
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-fiction
A solid short story of Kelsier training with Gemmel. I liked it. Didn't love it but that's not the Author or the Stories fault, only that it's a small piece with nothing too amazing.

Onto the next one.
Caleb M.
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this in Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection.

Fun, very short story about Kelsier and his Allomantic teacher Gemmell.

Other than that the only thing I will say is that I want more Kelsier. I've missed him and I hope Sanderson decides to write more about his post, in the future (I hope that makes sense haha).
Ysh
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My Kelsier bias simply wouldn't allow me to rate this as anything below five stars. ...more
Avanti Mukhopadhaya
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
What did you say? Another novella on Kelsier, this time with his madcap mentor?!
I could only imagine Kelsier grunting during his Allomantic flying lessons and thinking of exacting his revenge on a student of his own some day, poor Vin!!

Eh and, keep 'em coming Brandon!! 😊
Manisha
“A plan began to bud, a plan he barely dared consider for its audacity. Vengeance. And more.”

A sliver of a story, this focuses on a moment in time when Kelsier wasn’t the Mistborn we know him to be from the series. Instead, we see how he trains under Gemmel, a Mistborn who has an unforgiving training method.

Personally, I don’t think this adds much to the trilogy, unless we focus on Gemmel. After reading The Hero of Ages I can’t help but wonder… Maybe we do know who he was talking to and wha
Steve
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not bad for what it is: a quick introduction to the world of the Mistborn.
ana ⚔
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
This was so enjoyable!! It felt so so great to be back in this world and the urge to reread the Mistborn era 1 books is growing bigger and bigger day by day for me and so I'm probably gonna pick it up again soon even though I'm trying my best to convince myself it's been such a short time period since I've read it first and there's so many other books I wanna read, but boy do I miss this world and the magic system and don't even get me started on the characters. ...more
David S Meanderings)
This was a fun addition. Though incredibly short. I would love to see more about Gemmel and how he trained Kelsier and how we got to "The Final Empire." ...more
Frannie Pan
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z-2015, novellas
As I had foreseen, ALL THE FEELS. GOOD LORD.

The eleventh metal is not one of those essential novellas that you must read in order to have a wider and more complete view of the story and its characters, it doesn't tell anything that you won't discover in the actually books.
However, if you just love Brandon Sanderson and feel the need to read every word he has written and will write in his live (like I want to), then yes, you don't want to miss on these few pages.

This story shows Kelsier and Gemme

• The Lightning Tree
  • The Fires of Vengeance (The Burning, #2)
  • Words of Radiance: The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson -- Sidekick
  • The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • New Spring (The Wheel of Time, #0)
  • The Drowning Faith (The Poppy War, #2.5)
  • The Rage of Dragons (The Burning, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • The Strike at Shayol Ghul (The Wheel of Time, #0.1)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • The Burning God (The Poppy War, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • Towers of Midnight (The Wheel of Time, #13)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S

Mistborn (7 books)
  • The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)
  • Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)
  • The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn, #6)
  • The Lost Metal (Mistborn, #7)