Start by marking “The Eleventh Metal (Mistborn, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Eleventh Metal (Mistborn, #0.5)

The Eleventh Metal

(Mistborn 0.5)

Also available in Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection.

"This story was written specifically for the Mistborn Adventure Game, a tabletop RPG. Please keep in mind that the story was intended to help a GM bring his players up to speed on the world if they haven’t read the books. There are a few goodies for those who want to know more about Kelsier, but this story is not me
Published July 1st 2012 by Crafty Games (first published April 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Eleventh Metal, please sign up.
Tracy No. Read the main books first and then all of the 0.5s. Otherwise there will be spoilers for the main plotlines. The others are an interesting…moreNo. Read the main books first and then all of the 0.5s. Otherwise there will be spoilers for the main plotlines. The others are an interesting supplement to the main stories.(less)
Agnese If youre patient enough, this story is going to be a part of Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection, a compilation of all little stories important for…moreIf youre patient enough, this story is going to be a part of Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection, a compilation of all little stories important for Cosmere.(less)

Start your review of The Eleventh Metal (Mistborn, #0.5)
Melanie
1.) The Final Empire ★★★★★
2.) The Well of Ascension ★★★
3.) The Hero of Ages ★★★★
3.5) Secret History ★★★★★

This is a prequel story to the Mistborn series! It’s very short, but I absolutely loved the story. And, to be completely honest, I love seeing anything that stars Kelsier! This story centers around a man named Gemmel who is teaching Kelsier to use his Mistborn powers. And his powers are eventually put to the test when he is required to fight another Mistborn who is up to some no-good deeds. Again
Petrik
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5/5 Stars

Mini review
(I read this in Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection)

The Eleventh Metal is a short prequel to the original Mistborn trilogy which depicted the beloved character from the series, Kelsier, on his training to master his skills as a Mistborn with his mentor, Gemmel and it also shows the first spark of Kelsier’s idea for vengeance. Overall, this short story is a good short read for me, while it's enjoyable to read more of Kelsier, other than Gemmel’s appearance it prov
☽Luna☾
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
4/5

This book was so amazing ! Probably my least favorite Mistborn Novella but it was still awesome and it's totally worth reading.

description
Veronica Morfi
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was happily surprised to find out that this was a Kelsier story. It was a short glimpse of him training as a Mistborn with his mentor. Gives us an idea of what changes he had to go through and how he decided on his plan to kill the Lord Ruler.
ℨαrα
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sigh.
Dear old Kelsier.
I’m not being coherent but.
I loved it.
Sigh.
TS Chan
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read as part of Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection

I've been dying to get my hands on this piece of short fiction which took place pre-Mistborn: The Final Empire, simply because Kelsier is one of my favourite characters of all time!

As such, I was absolutely delighted when Arcanum Unbounded was announced to contain this snippet of a prequel story of the Mistborn series' most charismatic rogue/hero. It's a really short piece but provided some interesting insights leading to the la
Scott  Hitchcock
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Weird being back in that world and trying to recall who different characters were. An OK story.
Mel Anie (finals - 2months)
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: priority-series
Rating: 4,5

The Eleventh Metal is one of the short stories from Arcanum Unbounded. It tells the story of Kelsier and Gemmel and shows their relations as those of student and master. It is also stated that it can be read before The Final Empire.

The Eleventh Metal was an enjoyable read. It was a little confusing when it came to abilities of Allomancers, but with progressing pages, some of my questions found their answers.

This short story also gave me an intro to the idea of world and pol
Bea
Very minor spoilers below!

A very short read but an enjoyable one. It felt good to be back in a story from Kelsier’s point of view and find out more about how his grand plan from The Final Empire came to be. Also information about Gemmel, Kelsier’s tutor helped me understand Kelsier’s ruthlessness when it came to teaching Vin.

3 stars.
Terence
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Burn, push, and pull. Mistborn training takes place as a younger Kelsier just months out of the Pits of Hathsin is learning to fight like a real Mistborn.

The Eleventh Metal reads just like The Final Empire except Kelsier is being trained to be a Mistborn by Gemmell rather than him training Vin. All of the over explained Mistborn moves have returned as well. This is just a sneak peek into the moments when Kelsier's plans started to take form. I imagine anyone who loved the original Mi
Lena K.
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A nice short story about Kelsier's decision that started the whole trilogy.
It was too short though... Damn! I missed Kelsier :(

Secret History here I come!
Mario
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
As if I'd give this any less than five stars :)
Holden Johnson
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A solid short story of Kelsier training with Gemmel. I liked it. Didn't love it but that's not the Author or the Stories fault, only that it's a small piece with nothing too amazing.

Onto the next one.
Caleb M.
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this in Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection.

Fun, very short story about Kelsier and his Allomantic teacher Gemmell.

Other than that the only thing I will say is that I want more Kelsier. I've missed him and I hope Sanderson decides to write more about his post, in the future (I hope that makes sense haha).
Ysh
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My Kelsier bias simply wouldn't allow me to rate this as anything below five stars.
Avanti Mukhopadhaya
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
What did you say? Another novella on Kelsier, this time with his madcap mentor?!
I could only imagine Kelsier grunting during his Allomantic flying lessons and thinking of exacting his revenge on a student of his own some day, poor Vin!!

Eh and, keep 'em coming Brandon!! 😊
Avinash
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kelsier again... It was like meeting your old forgotten friend...

Although it's real tiny story and not a very important one or have missing pieces like Mistborn : secret History, but you can read it in 10 min so what the hell.. Read it..

And yeah! The bonus is - You'll get to know a little about the person who taught Kelsier allomancy.. So a big YES..

Not more than 3.5 stars only because there wasn't much to read :P
Steve
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not bad for what it is: a quick introduction to the world of the Mistborn.
Frannie Pan
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z-2015, novellas
As I had foreseen, ALL THE FEELS. GOOD LORD.

The eleventh metal is not one of those essential novellas that you must read in order to have a wider and more complete view of the story and its characters, it doesn't tell anything that you won't discover in the actually books.
However, if you just love Brandon Sanderson and feel the need to read every word he has written and will write in his live (like I want to), then yes, you don't want to miss on these few pages.

This
MeaganCM
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
There weren't any groundbreaking revelations here. So don't expect that. There's not much that can be accomplished in so few pages and it's typically why I stay away from shorts like this. But, it still was an interesting little story, I mean it is Sanderson after all.

We get see first hand why Kelsier behaves the way he does and what convinced him of his crazy plan in the first book. Again, there are no shockers here. Gemmel was an interesting character. The dynamic between he and Kelsier was f
Micheline
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, adult, epic, novella
This was totally worth the read. Despite being written as an introduction to the Mistborn game, it was a brilliant way to give the read insight into what exactly Kelsier was like before he had found his true purpose, before he had his crew and before he had fully gained his infamy as 'The Survivor'. The story seems to take place shortly after his escape from The Pits, where his whole life started to change. My only complaint is, predictably, that I wish it were longer. I wish we had more opportu ...more
C.P. Cabaniss
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This story isn't essential to the story, but gives a nice glimpse of Kelsier before The Final Empire. I had so much fun in these few short pages. It makes me want to reread the series again.

I read this in Arcanum Unbounded, which is a collection of cosmere stories.
Brad
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
A pretty quick novella, was so cool to see Kelsier again, and see him before he was an accomplished Mistborn!
Scott
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A story by Brandon Sanderson
A story about Kelsier
A story about Kelsier first learning Allomancy and how to fight as a Mistborn

What else could be the result except my 5 star rating.
Matt S
Apr 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a super-quick read as part of the Arcanum Unbounded collection. It's a prequel to the Mistborn series, with Kelsier at the point where he's just learning the tricks of the trade. A nice taste of being back in the Mistborn world again!
Alex O'Connor
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love learning more about Kelsier.
Ivy
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it

Seems like a good series so far. Wonder what the other half of Kelsier is. What happened to Gemmel? Very interesting story. Being an Allomancer and using coins seems quite interesting. What is the Eleventh Metal? What's going to happen? Think I will give this series a try. Seems interesting.
Miriam
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017, fantasy
This novella is more like a really short prequel of the original Mistborn trilogy. I've read it as a part of Arcanum Unbounded. The Cosmere Collection. The story is set before the events of The Final Empire and it's about Kelsier and his tutor Gemmel who teaches Kel Allomancy, especially the usage of pushing and pulling. It's a really nice
background story of Kelsier's life, taking place about three months after the events of the Pits of Hanshin. It was so nice to read about Kel again. I've missed him way t
Quintin Zimmermann
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
A short backstory of Kelsier when he was undergoing training as a Mistborn with his enigmatic trainer, Gemmel (who is actually mentioned in The Final Empire). It takes place some three months after Kelsier's escape from the Pits of Hathsin.

The story relates to the sparking of the embers of vengeance within Kelsier that is borne out in The Final Empire.

An easy, expository introduction to the magical world of Scadrial.

Now where is my mistcloak?

• Hope's End (Powder Mage, #0.4)
  • Other Worlds
  • Professional Integrity (The Riyria Chronicles, #2.6)
  • Victory (The Fey, #5)
  • Some of the Best From Tor.com, 2013 Edition
  • I, Night Angel (Night Angel, #3.5)
  • The Penitent Damned (The Shadow Campaigns #0.5)
  • Glimmers: Prologue to Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time)
  • The Lord Collector (Raven's Shadow, #1.5)
  • The Dragon of the Dolomites
  • Messenger’s Legacy (The Demon Cycle, #3.5)
  • The Navigator's Children (The Last King of Osten Ard, #3)
  • Unfettered II: New Tales By Masters of Fantasy (Unfettered, #2)
  • Games Creatures Play
  • The Last Abbot of Ashk’lan (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne #1.5)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s Soul, Mistborn: Secret

Mistborn (7 books)
  • The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)
  • Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)
  • The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn, #6)
  • The Lost Metal (Mistborn, #7)
“You don't need to use your hand to Push," Gemmel grumbled at him. "Wastes time.” 1 likes
“Glass broke and metal tools clattered to the ground.
“Have you any idea what all of that is worth?” Shezler growled, lowering his arm and advancing.
“Your soul, apparently,” Kelsier whispered.”
1 likes