Start by marking “Collide (The Collide, #1)” as Want to Read:
Collide (The Collide, #1)

Collide (The Collide #1)

Harlow Jones has a troubled past, and a questionable future. Surrounded by death, tragedy, and intrigue, she is forced to mature long before her time. Plagued by anxiety and depression, she hides her inner turmoil with spite and sarcasm. Her thick skin is impenetrable…or so she thought. Until she becomes involved with her grade twelve English teacher.

In this exclusive ent
Published July 26th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Collide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collide

NiCoLeTa E.
***3 "TORN" stars from me***

"YOU LOVE WHO YOU LOVE"

Well, i have finished this story since yesterday and i still don't know what to write on my review...
I really was torned with this book!!!
Not so much by the plot... Forbidden loves are one of my favorite topics, but i think that it left me unsatisfied!!!
Imagine that when i started to read this one, i was so exciting, but then bam!!! My excitement evaporated and in its place were uneasiness...

The thing is that many times the story was picking
Vasiliki
Jan 25, 2016 Vasiliki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars!

ARC kindly provided by Booktrope via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

This was a very intense story. It's the story of Harlow who the last years of her life have been a hell! The story is nicely written although I was always on edge even when I didn't have to. The plot has a couple of twists but the real beauty of this story is the writing. Ms. Hannigan has written a known story in a beautiful and intense way. The story is said from Harlow's POV and her voice is strong and c
Brit
Advance Readers Copy (ARC) provided for my blog by the author for an honest review

2.5 Stars

I liked this story but I felt that I've seen it before in a movie. I couldn't really relate to any of the characters. Don't get me wrong I liked the writing in this book but that was probably the best thing I liked.
 Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Yosbe  Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
*My Honest Review*

"Forbidden love"

Oh, so tasty.

Who hasn't have a crush on someone you couldn't? And what would have happened if that crush had paid you attention?

Harlow Jones is a rebel. That's the first thing I like of this book. The female main character is not this whiny girl that is trendy these days. She is strong even when she has a dark and traumatizing past.

The story is full of emotions. It's a page turner book.

Favorite Quotes:

description

description

Song for the book:

I don't know why but this book reminds me
Max Power
Feb 24, 2015 Max Power rated it it was amazing
Writing in the first person requires a particular skill. While it goes in and out of fashion, it is not normally a style that immediately appeals to me. I say normally because there are always exceptions and J.C. Hannigan’s ‘Collide’ is one of them.
The key to getting it right is to have a strong narrative and a really good story to tell. It may sound obvious but too many people fail on both counts. J.C. writes with her own style and not inconsiderable ability, succeeding on both fronts. The cha
Trisha
Nov 22, 2015 Trisha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-adult
This one was just not for me.

I didn't think Harlow sounded like a true teenager and I didn't like her.
I didn't think the teacher/student relationship was well done.
I didn't think the multiple story lines flowed well or were fully flushed out. It seemed like too much crammed in to so few pages with a lot of skipped days with no details.
Heather
Oct 01, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
Devoured it in a day.

Can't wait for the sequel, which I know is in the works ;)
(I follow the author on Twitter)
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Jul 10, 2015 ↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝ rated it really liked it
Shelves: 0-r2r-done
 photo 7365938.gif
What happens when the new 28 y.o. teacher meets the new 17 y.o. student??? Sparks fly. Like full-blown, stars align, signs from above, instant connection.
 photo 13807247.gif
Pure magnetism pulls them together.
 photo tumblr_malw5eodqd1rdsdz7o2_500.gif
But those pesky morals keep getting in the way.
 photo 6eb863c5830c59abe8ae205845f61724_large.gif
However, the animalistic need to pair will not be held back. So go with it, have fun, take pics, but don't get caught.
 photo tumblr_marrfjiZlr1rs8whzo1_500.gif
Or you'll have to pay the price.  photo giphy_21.gif
And pay you will...
 photo tumblr_m0g290HumX1r2ye8mo1_500.gif

I like to go into books not knowing what is in store. It's usually more fun that way
S.L. Stacy
Jul 27, 2014 S.L. Stacy rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this debut novel by J.C. Hannigan. It was a perfect mixture of forbidden romance and intrigue. The main character, Harlow Jones (great name, by the way) is pretty kick ass--on the one hand, she's a pot smoking, somewhat rebellious teen with a dark past; on the other, a dedicated student and loyal friend. Her relationship with Mr. Iain Bentley, her high school English teacher, is definitely taboo, but, as the story is told from Harlow's POV, feels very real.

All of the charact
Kitt O'Malley
Dec 17, 2014 Kitt O'Malley rated it it was amazing
After overcoming my initial resistance to reading a romance between a high school student and her teacher - I am a mother of a teenager after all - I really enjoyed reading Ms Hannigan's novel. The story was both a romance and a thriller. It grappled challenging issues that face adolescent women, all women actually.
Pam
Apr 06, 2017 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it in two nights. So well done! J.C. Hannigan is a fantastic writer! Mr. Bentley definitely got under my skin, solely for the reason that he should know better to have a relationship with a student! And I felt for Harlow, with all that she's been through, and her personality was so recluse because of it. Harlow's issues, just made me feel even more angry at Mr. Bentley, like he was taken advantage of her. But that fact that I had all these feelings for the characters = a really good book. : ...more
Amanda
Jul 04, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
An absolutely positively awesome read.

An amazing YA novel that touches on some major topics surrounding our youth today.

I have to admit, I had a really hard time writing this review. I really didn't think I would-especially with a book I absolutely loved. So much so all I wanted to do was get my hands on the next book! Normally I finish a book, get my ducks in a row and hit post. This didn't happen this time. It was more like type type type, delete. As you can tell from the 5 stars that I
Shealea
Dec 17, 2015 Shealea rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Before anything else, I received a free digital copy of this book (via Netgalley) in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, J.C. Hannigan and Booktrope!

In this story, we are immediately sucked into Harlow’s grief, fear, loss and sorrow. Despite Harlow’s headstrong personality and sarcastic tongue, Hannigan presents her female lead as a vulnerable, complicated heroine battling her many dark demons. This, in turn, makes her a rather relatable character I can easily empathize with. Furthermore,
Dennis Sharpe
Feb 10, 2015 Dennis Sharpe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If Stephen King wrote a modern Babysitter’s Club book… I think it would have had the same sort of effect on me. I kept reading. My skin kept crawling. I didn't want to understand, but I did… even if I didn't agree. As I read on, I kept wanting to counsel characters in the book. It’s rare that I become invested that way with any book… more so when I think about how far outside my normal reading fare this book comfortably sits.

There is a love story. There are real, three-dimensional, characters; c
A Book Lover's Emporium Book Blog
Collide drew me in quickly and kept me on the edge of my seat. I COULD NOT put the book down because I had become so invested in the characters that I was afraid something more would happen to them while I was away from the book. Seriously. The plot was riveting and suspenseful.

The characters were well developed, particularly the leading lady, Harlow. I have to say she is a strong young lady to have survived all she has. Going into the book, I had my reservations about a high school teacher and
Jessica
Jul 15, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
I received a copy from Author in exchange for an honest review.

*~*Forbidden love*~*

This is the first book I have read by J.C.
I give this 3.5 stars. I enjoyed the story, its very well written. Harlow is a struggling young lady after losing her best friend in a car accident. Ian is an English Teacher in the new school Harlow is not attending. I didn't really connect with the characters as much as I had hoped I would. I truly felt for Harlow and all the stuff she has been through in life, with the
Amanda Orozco
Jul 02, 2015 Amanda Orozco rated it really liked it
Let's start off by saying I finished this book in one night. I'm a sucker for forbidden love stories and this one is perfect.

We have all had a crush on someone that we know we can't, or shouldn't have. Harlow Jones is a 17 year old with way more life experience than anyone that she should have. She's a rebel with a dark past... So when she finds that she is attracted to her teacher, there is no stopping her. Sparks fly and drama ensues... But you love who you love.

I really enjoyed this book, th
Michael Roberts
Dec 31, 2014 Michael Roberts rated it it was amazing
This must be the first cover because my book cover is different but the same story. First off this was a fantastic story. I counted 7 different troubling problems in today's world that the Author was able to make it all fit into one book with the ability to make the story flow perfectly with ease. .It would of been so easy to tangle all 7 situations into a drama mess but her perfect flow of writing made it a pure pleasure. I hope you have a long life of success as writer. Also, great job describ ...more
Vicki
Jul 16, 2015 Vicki rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Forbidden love story at it's best! This book is well written and each time I turned the page I worried about Harlow being caught with her high school English teacher, Mr. Bentley. Harlow has been through some traumatic experiences - especially for a 17 year old, but she remains tough. She will not be run out of town even though she has been chased, attacked and almost run over by a truck. She stays and fights. You love who you love - even if he is 11 years older and your teacher no one can stop ...more
Dusty Summerford (Reviews by Reds)
Beautifully written debut novel!! I loved the Unforbidden love aspect. It truly made the story. I also loved that Harlow had a "rough" past. It made her believable and relatable.
Harlow is also a very strong and independent character. That made me love her even more. I also loved Iain and can't wait to see what happens with them.
This is definitely a must read!!
Megan Tiscareno
Mar 18, 2015 Megan Tiscareno rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
My four star rating is solely based on the writing, character development, and the story between Jenna & Harlow. As a teacher, it is SO hard for me to even read a slight teacher student flirtation, let alone a romance. But once I looked past all of that, I was able to enjoy Harlow and loved her devoted friendship to Jenna.
Alice Hart
Jun 10, 2015 Alice Hart rated it really liked it
This book took me right back to high school... Which now seems so long ago, sigh... I loved Harlow and could totally relate to her and her feelings from my own experiences back in the day, ha! Only, I didn't fall for any teachers because they were trolls lol. You can feel the emotions and the end leaves you wanting more. Thank goodness book 2 is available!

JC ~ fantastic job!!!
Tina Bailey
Aug 10, 2014 Tina Bailey rated it it was amazing
It usually takes me weeks to find time to read a full book. I read Collide in 3 days - that shows how addictive it was. I don't want to give much away, but if you're a fan of "forbidden love" type stories with gripping sub-plots, you'll love this. I may have to re-read it while I wait for J.C's next release!
Apr 25, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I loved it! Fast paced, well written and really exactly what I was looking for!
Allison J. Kennedy
May 27, 2015 Allison J. Kennedy rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful. Ms. Hannigan is so talented, and this book will be on my mind for a long time. Five well-earned stars!
Kathy Wideman
Dec 10, 2015 Kathy Wideman rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, danger, series
This is book was great. Harlow is a starting her senior year of high school. She has already been through so much in her short life; far more than anyone should ever have to go through and she is only almost 18. She has just moved to a new town with her mother and her new husband, Larry. They moved after Harlow lost her best friend in a fatal car accident one that almost killed her as well. Harlow keeps everything very close to the vest. She doesn’t have a great relationship with her mother and ...more
Elizabeth
Jun 05, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I finished Collide this morning (July 4th) and I have to admit that I am kind of glad that the craziness of getting ready to have a house full of guests kept me from sitting down to write the review until now. The reason I am glad I had to wait to write the review is that I am still honestly a little conflicted about Collide.
Why am I conflicted? Mainly because the book covers subject matter that I have a hard time with, material that would normally be on the “I don’t think so…” list. Curiosity
Kelsey
I absolutely could not put these books down! JC Hannigan did a wonderful job bringing a rather forbidden love to life, and to top it all off, it was done in the first person! This, I feel, is a huge compliment to her as a reader can potentially get lost within the character as the story line progresses. Be sure when reading these books that you read Collide first, and then pick up Consumed. While I feel Consumed could be read as a stand alone, there were definitely some points that would have th ...more
Tiffany Readz
Feb 12, 2015 Tiffany Readz rated it really liked it
While it isn't as sexy as I wanted it to be, J.C. Hannigan gave us a pretty good and twisty story with Collide. Not only do we have the student/teacher dynamic there's all kinds of stuff going on in the background as well.

Harlow Jones has moved to a new town with her mother and her mother's new boyfriend. The boyfriend is the head of a Catholic high school, so much to Harlow's dismay, that is where she will be attending for senior year. Harlow's father died when she was young, her mother's last
Kristen Johnson
Nov 22, 2014 Kristen Johnson rated it really liked it
I have to say that Forbidden love stories are sort of one of my favorite tropes. There's just something extra exciting about the notion that so much can go wrong and the risks of being caught. I also like when characters have flaws, they just make a much more emotional story. So when I read the synopsis, I was already half in love with this story just for the premise alone.

Harlow Jones is a great character, She's Bold and Sassy and pretty much takes no crap. She's dealing with a stormy past and
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Doing It Risqué (Doing It, #2)
  • Spectacle
  • Don't Be a Chicken
  • Spell for Sophia
  • Secrets Don't Keep (The Grove, #1)
  • Blessed of the Gods (Aumelan #1)
  • Sophie's Fate
  • The Nature of Grace Box Set
  • Action
  • Best Friends... Forever? (Landry's True Colors, #2)
  • King of the Perverts
  • Awakened (The Legends Of Elyndia, #1)
  • Begin Again
  • Middle Eight
  • Entry-Level Mistress
  • Ginny's Lesson
  • The Storytellers
  • Learning to Swim
J.C. Hannigan lives in Ontario, Canada with her husband, their two sons, and their dog. She writes contemporary romance, through which she brings to light awareness of mental health and social challenges.

Like any good Canadian, she loves hiking and carbs.

Collide is her first novel.
More about J.C. Hannigan...

The Collide (3 books)
  • Consumed (The Collide, #2)
  • Collateral (The Collide, #3)