Start by marking “Forager (Forager #1)” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

Forager

(Forager #1)

Alternate cover edition for ASIN: B00GUB9DGA

Eighteen-year-old Ethan Jones lives in Newhome, a town built upon the decaying ruins of post-apocalyptic Melbourne, ruins haunted by the ferocious Skel, a nomadic tribe of degenerate savages.

The Skel are ramping up their attacks on Newhome's foraging teams and infesting Melbourne's ruins in ever greater numbers. Is this part of
Published 2014 (first published November 20th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Forager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forager

Start your review of Forager (Forager #1)
Zeecé Lugo
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review for Forager by Peter R. Stone
My Rating: 4 stars of 5 stars

This is a great little book. It is a YA, dystopian, post-apocalyptic story, but I really found it to be a lovely romance because the romantic theme in it far outweighed the others themes. The story has energy; it moves quickly and has plenty of mystery and action to keep you interested. The characters are appealing and diversely motivated. I especially liked Nanako, with her unwavering loyalty and determination. The universe is ra
Wayne
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-ten, ya-favs
I started reading this month's ago, it was a bit slow and didn't grab me so I put it aside to read a few other things. This week I went back to it and wow. About a page after where I stopped reading it things got super interesting. Plot twists and turns, action, suspense, great characters who suddenly got depth.
Its about a futuristic Melbourne, in the 22nd century, and a society trying to survive in a brutal world. The main male character Ethan is good but the star Is the lead female character,
Stephanie
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This Book was a Great fast paced book! I loved the very complex character and plot! The characters grew as the story went on... This dysatopian novel was not too over powering. adding some romance into this book made me want to read more and made the book better!
I also enjoyed Peter R. Stone's writing style that made the experience seem more authentic.
with everything being said there were a lot of times that the book seemed predictable, but that didn't bother me at all. I am looking forward to
Donna
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pulled into this dystopian society. I found it as intriguing but yet a very scary society. I was rooting for the MC as he remembered his past and started to realize the true reality of things around him. I think the reader has barely skimmed the surface of the treachery and lies that have befallen this society. Overall, a great start to a new series that I feel can only get better. I can't wait to continue this reading journey. ...more
Sean
May 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not the best, but original to a degree and enough to fill a flight or car ride
jim
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite a surprise....

This a dystopian novel with a twist....a remote area of Australia saved from what could be worldwide devastation.... What happened? How did this area get spared and why? And most importantly, how can the heroes and heroines keep this last spark of civilization alive? An exciting read, filled with action, mystery and romance, sure to keep you on the edge of your seat! Heading right now to purchase the next volume in the series! Excellent work, Mr. Stone... I look forward to mo
Valeska Ambrose
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is told by Ethan’s voice, and describes the world a century after the World War Three.
Ethan lives in Newhome, a well guarded town constructed inside the ruins of what once was the city of Melbourne, and works as a forager, retrieving non-corrosive metals from the ruins around them.
The society changed and the people had little to no freedom. It sucked most for the women, who didn’t have a say in anything at all. They weren’t allowed to go out of their homes without a chaperone, didn’t
Cianna Sunshine & Mountains Book Reviews
** This Review is done in conjunction with NerdGirl. For more info, check out their FB page https://www.facebook.com/NerdGirl.NG **

Dystopian is interesting to me, it’s one of those genres that really opens up, and you can take it anywhere. The world has so many flaws to exploit, and twist, and it’s such a great baseboard for stories. Previously, I had read Stone’s A Knight of Dein, which is fantasy and action, and was very good. I enjoyed it, but I will say, I enjoyed this one even more. Austral
Darsie
Set in a post apocalypse Melbourne (a nice change of pace there) this is told from the POV of 20 year old Ethan.

Ethan's job as a forager is not to find food but to locate supplies of metals and other valuable commodities from the ruins of the surrounding towns and cities. His special abilities help to keep him and his team safe from marauding mutants and make finding these supplies easier.

Love the world building in this book.. I had such a clear picture of Ethan's home. There is constant actio
Wanda Hartzenberg
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I did not see this book coming. Seriously. A free book made it into one of the top 20 reads os 2015. Unbelievable.
The book could have gone wrong but it never does. It sounds like, reminds of but is never a copy of other books in the genre.
The main protagonists are well developed. Some things are predictable. Most are not.

Given this book could do with a very good line edit. But even with the glaring oversights I literally could not put this book down.

It is free so you literally have nothing t
Rachel
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I really enjoyed this one, although I can honestly say I would not want to live in the town of Newhome at all. In fact, I think I would rather take my chances in the outside.
Well-written, with characters that really seemed to come alive right off the page.
LillaSusanne
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the tenth book of my second summer of free amazon books. (2.10)
I honestly really liked this book. Enough to buy the second one in the series.
It’s a nice summer read, with just enough of both action and romance to make it interesting. It is a little predictable in some of the ways most dystopian books are- the hero has special abilities, he is somewhat of an outsider, there is a love triangle of sorts, and so on, but there are some nice little plot twists which takes it a notch up.
The wri
Joyce Hertzoff
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A hundred years from now, after an apocalyptic thermonuclear war, only parts of Melbourne remain. Ethan lives in Newhome, an area outside the damaged center of the city and works as a Forager, going out daily with his crew to find valuable metals in the ravaged skyscrapers and houses. When a group of Custodians is assigned to accompany the group, ostensibly to protect them from Skels, the skeleton-armored humans that haunt the area, Ethan believes they’re really there to root out anyone with mut ...more
Anthony Carter
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Amazon would not allow me to put up a review because I don't buy enough according to their rules!
So I am making one here instead.
This is a thought provoking book about survival after a nuclear war has occurred. The whole premise of towns being cut off and trying to survive is easily understandable. How the towns are governed and the rules that they live by are what makes the plot interesting. This is a easy and good read. I enjoyed the plot development, the characters are very believable, and fo
Bill Thibadeau
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really a rating of 4.5 would suit better.

I have been happily mired down in dystopian and apocalyptic fiction for the bulk of this year. I ran across this new to me author, read the summary, and thought to give him a go.

The author writes a very real and intriguing apocalyptic story that didn't fall into any of the pitfalls of this genre. The characters and their actions are well written and make for good reading. I now have a new author to follow and I recommend that you give this author a go. Re
Patricia
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting

This book had me hooked from the beginning. This is the second book by Peter Stone that I have read. The stories are completely different but both books were great. I love dystopian thrillers and this one did not disappoint. There are many twists and turns that only make this story mode intriguing. I found myself shocked about some of the turns. I don't think I there was a page in this book that was boring. This is the 1st book of a trilogy and I can't wait to read the other 2.
Jackie
This has been on my reader for a short while and in the mood for something futuristic with an edge thought it would fit the bill.

It did and it did not. While the story had a good flow, a good pace, a good set up, easy to relate to characters somehow when it was over I did not feel totally satisfied with how things turned out.

Hard to pin down exactly what was wrong but just know something was off for me no matter how much enjoyed the book just did not love it like I wanted to.
Jenni
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
So, I actually read this years ago. My memory has not been kind to this book. I know that I got through it, so it wasn't horrendous, but I cannot recall a single thing that happened in it. It had made me upset enough that my first ever post on my blog was in reference to this book but it didn't stick with me enough for me to even recall what I was reading even though I had the title tagged right there.

Overall, it was okay, but utterly forgettable.
Travis
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-go
This is a pretty good book. There's some editing issues (especially in the later chapters), but it's only a minor irritant. The story is a good one, and I think I'll actually go hunt for other books by this author. I don't know if there are more books set in this world, I'd be surprised if there were, but if so, I wouldn't mind reading them. Most scifi fans should enjoy this one, though those who like post apocalyptic scenarios would likely enjoy this one even more. ...more
Julie Powell
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read, if only 75% of the download (the rest a peek at the next book). It was well-written, though not quite believable, for example, the age of Ethan did not quite match his character.

I did enjoy the plot twists and surprises, and the fight scenes felt realistic. This future world was fascinating in a disturbing way and that gave it interest in regard to injustice and wanting to know the outcome.

Overall, an enjoyable dystopian story and worth a look.
Charlotte
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Found this book on Kindle Unlimited and thought I’d give it a try, set in post apocalyptic Melbourne it follows a young guy called Ethan. I was happily surprised by this book and was entertained throughout, the two main characters were intriguing and the storyline didn’t dull at all. Looking forward to reading the next!
Asiaman
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Forager starts slow but builds until you are hooked. The characters are varied and individualized so that it is easy to pick your favorite.
The writing is done well and the plot has some twist that only adds to the desire to continue reading. I think anyone will enjoy this book and would recommend it without a doubt. Give it a try and you won't be sorry.
Djap
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting premise

Not bad, interesting premise. The characters are not too believable considering how old they are supposed to be. I also agree with another reviewer about the overuse of "gonna". These kids talk like early teens, not much like adults.
The mystery elements are good however I will probably not go on to the next books.
Debbie Lawrie
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This comes across as a is a YA read and manages nicely to have romance without the syrupy narrative which to me is a great source of irritation.
I liked the concept, however, felt the character was a little too easy going in relation to hs circumstances.
I would have liked him to be a bit angrier than the way he came across.
Paul Cobbs
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Post-Apocalypse I’m Australia

I’ve read quite a few post-apocalyptic books in my time but I think this is the first I’ve read that was set in Australia. It made for interesting reading.
Stanley
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad

Not sure if this is a first book for the author or not but it’s my first time reading him and I found it interesting and fun to read. Fortunately for me I read enough that the references to life in Australia don’t pass me by.
Dinnl
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I got the 6 book set after reading Impersonator. The storyline is intriguing but has it's unbelievable aspects and plot holes. Reading without care for such things it was engaging. Some editing would have been good. ...more
Liz Etnyre
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, science-fiction
Decent dystopian tale. Nice world building - although could be fleshed out a wee bit more (and very well may be in subsequent books.) Unfortunately, not quite gripping enough to move on to book 2 in the face of a lengthy, and potentially more gripping, TO READ list.
Brian
Aug 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not good

I don't know how this book's Goodreads rating is so how. This was horribly written, with terrible world building, one dimensional characters, and a pedestrian story. Just awful.
Alicia Jackson
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forager (1)

This is (probably) one of my favorite styles of stories/books. An easy read with a good story and character development. Look forward to picking up the series in hardback. Keep writing and I'll keep reading!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Plague Wars: Infection Day: The First Trilogy: Three apocalyptic sci-fi technothriller adventures
  • The Smell (The Rot, #1)
  • Summer (The Survivors, #1)
  • Broken World (Broken World, #1)
  • The Breakers Series #1-3 (Breakers #1-3)
  • Altered Genes: Genesis
  • Outbreak
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • Victim Zero
  • Frontier Justice (The Survivalist, #1)
  • Exodus (Exodus Trilogy, #1)
  • Forager: The Complete Six Book Series
  • The Ravagers Box Set: Episodes 1-3
  • Sword & Magic: Eight Fantasy Novels
  • Twice Dead (The Zombie Crisis #1)
  • The Alien Plague
  • Kilenya Chronicles Books 1-3
  • The Wasteland Chronicles: Omnibus Edition (The Wasteland Chronicles, #1-3)
Peter Stone, an avid student of history, was reading books on Ancient Greece from the age of four. Periods of interest include the ancient world, medieval era, Napoleonic times, and the Second World War. He still mourns the untimely passing of King Leonidas of Sparta and Field Marshal Michel Ney of France.

A product of the Cold War Generation, Peter Stone studied the ramifications of a nuclear miss

Forager (3 books)
  • Infiltrator (Forager #2)
  • Expatriate (Forager #3)