Start by marking “The Mask” as Want to Read:
The Mask

The Mask

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  16,170 Ratings  ·  260 Reviews
She had appeared out of nowhere...in the middle of traffic, on a busy day, in front of Carol's car. A teenager with no past, no family - and no memories. Carol and Paul were instantly drawn to her, this girl they named Jane - she was the daughter they never had. It was almost too good to be true.
Published August 15th 1990 by Berkley Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Mask, please sign up.
Rahul Singh I liked the ending. Though it could have been more dramatic but they kept it short and sweet. "SPIDERS"

Johnny
Nov 19, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
Shawnee Bowlin
Aug 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so into the story and enjoying every minute of it every chance I got. The suspense of the end was building, and I was anticipating such a huge satisfaction. Hmm, not quite what I had hoped for. In this case, although the story was terrific, the ending was lacking. It was too abrupt, not enough interaction between the characters for me. Still Koontz fan and would still recommend the book, just be aware that it may not satisfy at the end.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
This was an interesting story. At first, I was confused how the prologue fit into the main story, but that soon became clear. If you like stories with bad kitties like we saw in The Bad Place, for example, you'll love this book!

Upon second reading, I was even more pleased with the story - I even liked the ending because I am crazy :-) It's fun to read an earlier book by Dean Koontz with such a unique story idea - I didn't even mind that it was dated .I love retro - reading about a time when peo
Gwen Stacy
It was okay. Not what I thought it would be from the synopsis or the title. (view spoiler) It was great at building suspense, however, I was upset with the main reveal, and the ending was so anti-climactic and abrupt. My final thought was "that's it?"
Redfox5
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror, usa
I remember reading this when I was a teenager, but can't remember any details about it. Which was a good thing as it meant it was a total surprise. This was a quick easy read and I was finished after a few hours. Maybe not the most imaginative plot but I liked it none the less. This was Koontz doing what he does best, horror writing. And I loved the inclusion of the evil cat. I found Grace to be the most likeable of all the characters and enjoyed her scenes the most. If you are looking for somet ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This wasn't what I was expecting at all; it was totally unpredictable and surprising, with a lot of creepy horror elements to the plot and characters.
Tracy Mcallister
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This was an interesting Dean Koontz novel. I gave it only 3 stars for two reasons. First, I was not pleased that a Siamese cat was a villain or that it had to be killed. BOOOOO! That is terrible. Second, the ending was terrible. It was so jarring and incomplete. It felt very unfinished.

However, if you like Dean Koontz, I believe this is still an enjoyable, easy read. There is a lot of paranormal cool stuff and a bit a mystery to keep the reader engaged.
Tim
May 20, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Novel gets better after a tedious beginning before collapsing at the end and disappointing. Koontz has written better. 4 of 10 stars
Ina
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why isn't the innocent and beautiful girl reported missing?

An inhumane storm is about to calm down. Carol and Paul are back at home safely after a meeting with the adoption agency. That same day, Paul discovers something through the window. Through the storm, he think he is seeing something or someone in the garden, but who would be out in this weather or is the storm just making him hallucinating? Later, Carol gets in a small car accident. Her car hits a girl who runs straight in front of the
Ignacio Senao f
Clásica historia de reencarnaciones en niña adoptada. Se lee en una sentada. Tres personajes y una localización (la casa) donde sucede todo. Fácil de leer. No te va a sorprender pero si entretener.

Dean siempre cumple, su gran mayoría de historias son simples y bien escritas. No suele dejar indiferente, es aún más comparable a una hamburguesa que las de King (dicho por él)

Jessica
Nov 09, 2008 rated it liked it
I remember this being "okay" without being in danger of stepping into "fantastic". I'm always confused by Koontz's married characters who feel they need to save stray strangers by bringing them into their homes, only to be confounded by the fact that wierd things start to happen, and seem to center around their newest arrival.

Well, duh - the girl is a mess, she doesn't know who she is, much less anything about her past, but sure! Let's go ahead and bring her home with us and give her fluffy, sof
Jelena
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
this was my first Dean Koontz's work. i found it very well written, with a lot of suspense, action and elements of horror, and honestly, i couldn't stop reading :). but i expected more of the story itself - the subject on which the story was based on was too simplified and a explained in a bit "cliche" way. all that with the abrupt and somehow incomplete ending, and i was left a bit disappointed after i finished, but i enjoyed reading it so much that i decided i could tolerate it ;). that's why ...more
Suby
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don't believe in Ghosts. Being a Hindu, I must believe in reincarnation - But I don't. Even if I believed in reincarnation and transmigration, I, as a Hindu, must believe that these chances are given to souls to improve upon themselves and not to wreck havoc by channeling all their accumulated Karma towards misplaced revenge.
Having stated my beliefs I must also admit that I enjoyed reading The Mask by Dean Koontz very much. He has managed to weave the unbelievables into a beautiful novel which
Bunny
Apr 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-11
As I was heavily skimming through this novel, I thought to myself, "I remember Dean Koontz being better than this."

Then about halfway through, I paused. What exactly do I remember about reading Dean Koontz?

Hmm.

....

There was...

And then that....

Darkness. Someone was afraid of darkness. And there was a hermaphrodite that one time.

Yeah, apparently I don't remember novels from childhood like I thought I did.

Dean Koontz sucks. How did I forget that?
Бранимир Събев
"Сама, заспала дълбоко, пренесена в сън, различен от онзи, който беше причинил писъците й, Джейн въздишаше, усмихваше се, смееше се тихичко.
— Брадвата — шепнеше тя в съня си. — Брадвата. О, да, брадвата. Да. Да.
Дланите и се свиха леко, сякаш стискаше някакъв твърд, но невидим предмет.
— Брадвата — пошепна тя, и тихият звук на тази дума отекна едва в тъмната стая."
Patricia Bergman
This was entertaining and contained some tense moments. I've heard that Dean Koontz has written some pretty good books. "The Mask" is worth reading but I suspect it is not one of his best.
Jennifer Witherspoon
First Koontz book I've ever read. I fell in love and haven't stopped reading him since. The Bad Place is my absolute favorite.
J.W.
okay so this book was just ODD.. and I'm not talking Koontz's awesome series Odd Thomas, I mean the actual story is just weird. Jumping through 4 different people's views, isn't that bad, couple of trances, something THUNKING around two of the houses, flashbacks to the past

Sounds pretty good

Nope, it fell really flat and the ending was no ending whatsoever.
Daniel J. Sergeant
Jul 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'm a huge Koontz fan, but this is quite possibly the most disappointing book of his I've ever read. To be fair the first 98% is good, but the ending is like he somehow ran out if pages and had to wrap it up asap. *Nerd confession** It sucked so bad I actually took the time to rewrite a better ending.
Julie Powell
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from my favourite author, this one filled with suspense and the supernatural.

Fast-paced and well-written, this story has themes such as love, revenge, guilt and sorrow, and asks plausible questions about life and death, and the bonds of relationships.

It did end abruptly, which is unusual for this author, although there were no loose ends.

Enjoyable and recommended.
Midnyte Reader
This book was published in 1981, so it is a little dated but still stands up as a very creepy story. As with a lot of Dean Koontz books, there is a bit too much telling for my tastes but The Mask redeems itself by being fairly short (only 7 audio cds) and also for the creepiness factor. There is a lot of supernatural elements in the book to make the hair on the back of your neck stand up, demonic cats, ghostly incidents, strange dreams and a past mystery to tie everything up. I thought Koontz di ...more
Lindsey Lobin
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
meh.
Carlos Mock
A good eerie novel dealing with reincarnation, it seemed obvious in the beginning, but like any Koontz novel the obvious lies within the irrational.

When we are finally allowed to look outside the box, we are shown a bigger picture.

I did enjoy the supernatural element, but The Mask did have a few flaws: First, Koontz never really explains the supernatural element that was tipping off the main characters; were the spirits good or bad? Finally, the book ended too abruptly.

It was wrapped up in 10 p
Jacqui
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I loved the majority of Koontz's "Frankenstein" series. Thought I'd go back and check out an earlier work. Big mistake. This book reads like a really predictable, really cheesy 80's horror movie. At the start, there is WAY too much backstory for Carol and Paul, to the point where it becomes tedious and boring, then things finally heat up around page 120, even though you still know well and truly what will happen at the end. Oh, yeah, then at the end, the storyline collap ...more
Leo
Oct 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
I gotta say for Dean Koontz, I'm a little disappointed. I do believe this is one of his earlier titles though.
It starts off kind of slow. You know something is happening but it's just taking so long to develop. Then when it happens, its great for about 30 pages or so, then it just drops off again. I felt like the book just ended so abruptly without really pulling everything together. I mean you know what happens and the climax is over, but there isn't really any closure. A fine read if you are a
Sam
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the buildup of this novel. The suspense was killer because you didn't know who this mysterious girl was and what she had to do with the Victorian girl from the beginning of the book. Meanwhile said mystery girl would become almost possessed under hypnosis, poltergeists were running rampant in the main couple's house, and a house cat was going beserk and trying to kill an old lady. However,the ending was really anticlimactic. I wanted to know more about the fire too and that didn ...more
Traci
Sep 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
I have a mixed review for this book. When it started it felt too much like a Goosebumps book. It did manage to pick up and somewhere along the way I became swept up in the story line. Towards the end I had trouble setting it aside even for a minute. The most disappointing part of the book was the ending, it was very weak. When I finished the book I was left wondering what happened next, there were still un-answered questions in my mind.
Mary
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
The writing and descriptions of characters, action, and the supernatural are all first rate. The first chapter had me holding my breath, disbelieving that I was actually feeling what the child was. Absolutely amazing and the second chapter did the same. Really loved this book...the story, setting, ambience, characters--all of it. It was spooky without being over the top. And, this is one where Koontz obviously took utmost care with each and every word.
Jim C
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
One of Dean's earlier books. Read it years ago but could not remember a thing about it and after finishing it, I can see why. I have to agree with the consensus where everyone dislikes the ending. It was too abrupt and I turned the page to see if there was another chapter. I was enjoying this novel up to the last five pages and I was going to give it a 3 star rating. If you are looking to read one of his books, I would suggest other books by him. This one left me with an unfinished feeling.
Sheila Medvedjevs
I'm generally a big fan of Dean Koontz. I absolutely love the Odd Thomas books, and have enjoyed several of his stand-alone books as well. This just didn't work for me. The premise wasn't bad, but the story took a long time to develop, and the ending was very, very abrupt and unsatisfying. I listened to the book on CD, and honestly, if the recording hadn't ended with "we hope you have enjoyed this audio presentation..." I would have thought I was missing the last CD.
Koontzland - Dean...: The Mask (Group Read - September 2013) 51 99 Sep 24, 2013 08:08PM
  • The Vision
  • The Face of Fear
  • Shadowfires
  • Shattered
  • Icebound
Owen West is a pseudonym used by the author Dean Koontz.

Koontz has also published under the names Leigh Nichols, Brian Coffey, David Axton, Deanna Dwyer and Aaron Wolfe.

Note: More than one author has written under the name 'Owen West'. For books by the former Marine major, go here.

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Where Hope Begins
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • A Season of Love
  • The Small Rain: A Novel
  • The Great Santini
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Homeland (Crown Family Saga, #1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99