Start by marking “Silver Lining (Silver, #1)” as Want to Read:
Silver Lining (Silver, #1)

Silver Lining

(Silver #1)

Amber Merchant had it all. Living with and engaged to her teenage sweetheart, a nice house and the job of her dreams.
Not anymore!
Following a devastating revelation from her Fiancé, Amber finds herself single once again and moving on, vowing to never entrust her heart and soul to anyone again.
During an evening out to celebrate her newly single life, a chan
Published February 21st 2014 (first published February 19th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Lining, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver Lining

Start your review of Silver Lining (Silver, #1)
Jacqueline
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Looking at the gushing reviews and high rating for this I wonder if we read the same book. This was only an OK read for me. The writing style didn't do much for me, featuring lots of cliches, well worn phrases and some really cheesy dialogue that had me wincing at times. I'm afraid the plot wasn't particularly original either. I only kept reading because I hoped, as per the gushing reviews, that it was going to deliver something startling that would blow me away. Unfortunately though, it didn't. ...more
Karen Peacock
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved this debut novel and first book in a series by E.J. Shortall! This story is full of heartache, passion and ultimately love. E. J. created beautiful characters that you can totally relate to in many ways. She has a way of picking you up and transporting you into her story and you can so easily get lost in her characters. Her secondary characters Becki and Scott are also very integral to the story. They add an element of humor that has you laughing throughout!

Craig is a tall drink of wate
Heather Way
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I give Silver Lining 5 stars.!!! How would you feel to be a high school sweetheart, getting ready to be married. Weeks before the wedding , Amb’s soon to be fiance approaches her and drops the bomb. Marriage isn’t for him..talk about feeling jilted…great timing wouldn’t you agree? That is how this story starts, draws you in and I could not help but to sympathize and think well, what now? So, is she going to kick him to the curb? Will Amber just take the high road and just walk away without runni ...more
Melissa Miller-Mattern
I loved this book. After being in what she later figures out is a controlling, love-less engagement with her boyfriend of 10 years, Amber finds herself dumped. Amber swears off men and begins to regain herself. On her first night out with her girlfriend, she dances with a gorgeous man. They later run into each other and against Amber's better judgement, she agrees to go out with Craig. Amber quickly finds herself falling for Craig but feels that he is holding something back. Silver Linings follo ...more
Kaprii two ordinary girls and their books
Silver lining.... Ej shortall
We were given an arc copy if this story for an honest review.
4****
Awww such a sweet story!
Craig and Amber are like the couple next door we can see there ment to be together,
Craig is a normal everyday man, apart from being wealthy :) but is hiding secrets...
Amber is going through heartbreak who just wants to start over.
Emma you have written this story extremely well, it has some sad parts and some very happy parts. You kept up with the
Nade Ferrabee
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very rarely are authors first books written so beautifully. This book is descriptive, well written and has a proper love story to boot. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Silver Lining and am looking forward to book 2 later this year. Congrats on an amazing book!!
Jessica
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Silver Lining draws you in and has you hooked before the end of the first chapter, with the raw emotions, secrets, heartbreak you want to know more and fast. The story begins with Amber a smart beautiful school teacher who just got out of a long relationship that has yet to have any closers. She moves into a new house and is ready to start fresh and a new relationship is the last thing on her mind. Going out with her friends, she meets Craig, a gorgeous guy that has no problem showing how much h ...more
Shanyn
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Are you looking for a genuinely feel-good story about two wonderful people coming together to complete each other? You’re in luck, because this story has all of that and more.

Amber is a woman coming out of a horrible relationship, moving into the world on her own for the first time. Craig is a successful businessman with a semi-truck full of baggage and a long-standing choice to never settle down. All bets are off when they spot each other across a crowded dance floor however.
Candi-
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-read
Amber Merchant thought her life was perfect. Engaged to her high school sweetheart and just a few weeks away from her already planned out and paid for wedding her jack arse fiancée David comes home and crumbles her perfect world.

Craig Silver is a sexy, green eyed rich hottie who thinks no woman will ever change him and his ways...........that is until he sees Amber at a club one night and that all changes. He knows that Amber will be his no matter what he has to do but Craig has secr
Maryam Dinzly
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. The main character, Amber, represents many females who have had their hearts broken. I love the plot because it builds you up to the moment of climax. There were so many good scenes, that you are just in anticipation of wanting to know what the breaking point was. This book will have you sitting at the edge of the chair, not wanting to know what Craig did wrong, but also wanting to get to the happy ending. I love Craig’s character the most, because even though he was shown as t ...more
Kay Richards
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was honoured to have been picked as a beta reader and my Review will come once book is published :) *** IT'S LIVE ***

Title: Silver Lining
Author: E.J. Shortall
Star rating: 5 spectacular Stars!!

Amber Merchant needs a fresh start after having her heart broken by her fiancé David. She thought they were forever, was even in the stages of planning their wedding when it all turned upside down on her and it turned out she didn't know him at all. She's
moved into her own a
Jamie
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This happens more than once. I'm drawn into a book because of the cover and I immediately find myself loving what I've started to read.

That's exactly what happened with Silver Lining.

I immediately felt for Amber. She was happy. She had it all. She was planning her wedding to the love of her life - then all of a sudden, it was over. She was left with tons of questions and loads of heartache.

With some pushing from her best friend, she heads out for a night on the town to try to ease
Chicks Looking For A Book Fix
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Rating: 4.5
I just finished Silver Lining and it was such an amazingly sweet little story. Amber hasn't had it easy in the relationship department but then again neither has Craig...one if the many reasons they fit. Amber is every bit your girl next door. She's sweet, open, beautiful and holds on to hope even after she feels all reason to hope is gone.
Craig is a great guy from a great family that just ended up losing
Romance Readers Retreat
This book grabbed me right from the start... The instant draw between Amber and Craig had me hooked!

I empathised with Amber - after all, who hasn't had their heart broken? She's sweet, if a little naive, and I found myself wanting things to work out for her but she's understandably afraid to open her heart again.

Craig is super hot. He's got some great alpha tendencies and although he's harbouring a secret, and a few of his own demons, I couldn't help but will him to put his trust in
Catrina Sampson
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written, EJ Shortall has me hooked for more. Im totally engrossed in this story. Watching Amber and Craig unfold in front of your eyes. This book is not the usual typical love story. Not predictable. Each chapter has something new. Funny, sad, wow, oooooooo. ;-). A must read. Looking forward to reading more from this Author.
Trista Priest
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just joined E.J's street team and was given a copy of this book! I could not put it down once I started it. What an emotional rollercoaster! I can not wait to see what book 2 has in store for Craig and Amber, but also for Becki and Scott. Keep up the great work E. J. Shortall!!
Lee
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: single-books
Silver Lining has a delightful real life undertone. The emotional ranges are powerful, for giggles to tears. I found this book to be a real joy....E.J. Shortall, has captured my heart.
Mary
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wicked
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Insecurities? Yes, Amber has a ton of them. Who wouldn't? After spending ten years with a man who proclaimed to love her, asked her to marry him and then called the wedding off two weeks before the big day, Amber Merchant has plenty of reasons to be wary of anyone. Only after she moves out of the home she shared with David, does she realize the true scope of the his manipulations he had on her life.

Moving to a new apartment, Amber is intent on starting a
Akeisha -Til' The Last Page BB
Let me start by staying that I enjoyed this story.

Amber Merchant after being in a relationship with her fiance for a couple of years finds out what a true ass he really was. David (ex-fiance) came home one day to say he cannot get married to Amber.

Amber devastated after spending so many years with a man she thought was 'The One' is now trying to pick up the pieces of her life and mend her broken heart. With the support from her best friend Becki, Amber is learning what it mean
Witchy Richey's Booktastic Reviews
High School sweetheart? Check! Engagement? Check! Wedding date picked? Check! RSVP filled out and returned? Check! Fiancé is a cheating arse? CHECK! Then it all fell apart! This is how Amber Merchants story began. Now living on her own and picking up the pieces of her heart is her new adventure. She has sworn off men and sworn to protect her heart. Well that last for about one day!

Enter Craig Silver, dark haired, green eyed rich hottie. He see's Amber at a club and they dance, no names are exch
Booked  Every Night
This was a nice easy, quick read and I look forward to reading more of Amber and Craig’s story.

Amber is a character that any girl that has had a broken heart can relate with. Starting over on her own for the first time in ten years, she struggles with who she really is. After having a guy define who you are and what you do, the struggle to find yourself that a lot of us have experienced. There were times I felt like slapping her for being “stupid” but when thinking about it I honestl
Ruthie Taylor
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads."

This is a well written book, with interesting characters and good dialogue. It was an engaging read, and there could easily be a spin off, which I would snap up. I particularly enjoyed that it was set in the UK.

I will definitely be looking out for more books by this author.

Wicked Reads Review Team
Beth
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great love story with some steamy scenes!

I really loved this book. Amber was so easy to like. Her broken heart and trust issues made her very relatable. The instant connection between her and Craig was sizzling! I read this book in one day because I couldn't wait to find out if their love would make it. I am looking forward to the next book but truly hope I don't have to wait long. There is just something about that rugged, sexy, defend-you-to-the-ends-of-the-earth kind of guy that is so hot.
Renee at Book Happiness
was given this book for an honest reveiew.. I thought it was really good and funny. A very enjoyable read and just enough angst put in the book. A job well done by the author and for it being her debut book I was impressed. I enjoyed the book but it did take a couple chapters to hook me, but once I made it through those chapters I really enjoyed it. I really like the main female character and I can't wait to read the next one..
This Coull Chick
A cute little read, 4 stars from me for the simple fact it was well written and the first book I have finished and not wanted to biff it againt the wall in a while!!

There were a few things that didn't work for me but over all they didn't really matter in the long run, and I still really enjoyed the ride.

I will be back I hope in a few days to post a real review
Zoe Read
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished Silver Lining, It's an addictive read, impossible to put down. The storyline is fantastic and really pulls you in. It's so well written you feel like you know the characters personally. The ending had me in tears! Very much looking forward to the next installment! 5*
Chris Donald
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a geeat book well written makes you laugh and cry trough out the story. love the characters . would reccomend it.
The Good Fairy Nicci
As I am a lover of Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romances, Silver Dove was an atypical read for me. I haven't been a true lover of contemporary romance in some time and this one book has changed that. I'm so glad I signed up for this blog tour because...

I loved this!

EJ has a command of the English language that thrilled me. This is a second chances story, a tale which follows the life of a woman who has been hurt and is finding her way through life again. As a woman who has been there, I can relate to Amber. Sure
Alison
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars!!!

I was given this book to read in turn for an honest review!!!

Amber Merchant was happy; she was engaged to her teenage sweetheart had a nice house and the job of her dreams. However, her fiancé drops a life-changing bombshell. Amber decides to move on with her life and vows to never trust a man again with her heart and soul. One day while out celebrating, Amber bumps into Mr. tall, dark and handsome Craig Silver.

Craig Silver is the last person that Amber needs i
Sania
Multi-Luv'n/Ménages: (view spoiler)
Was There Descriptive Sex: (view spoiler)
Descriptive Sex &/Or Drama Between H/h With OW/OM: (view spoiler)
>>If So, Before or After H/h Hookup: (view spoiler)
Contains Cheating: (view spoiler)Standalone/Cliffhanger: Standalone imo. There is a sequel but this book ends on a positive note.
Multi-Luv'n/Ménages: (view spoiler)
Was There Descriptive Sex: (view spoiler)
Descriptive Sex &/Or Drama Between H/h With OW/OM: (view spoiler)
>>If So, Before or After H/h Hookup: (view spoiler)
Contains Cheating: (view spoiler)
Amount of Sex In The Book: (view spoiler)
HEA/HFN/etc Ending: (view spoiler)
Will This Meet My 'Safety Gang' Buddies' Approval: (view spoiler)
Any Triggers/Warnings: Yes
>>Detail: The heroine is sexually assaulted(nearly raped) by her ex fiancé. She's saved by her friend.
Do You Recommend This Book: It's decently written so yes.
Will You Re-read This Book: No
Would You Read More Books By This Author: No.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Only Together (Imagination #5)
  • Sympathy for the Devil
  • Before the Broken Star (The Evermore Chronicles, #1)
  • Last One Home (New Beginnings, #1)
  • Blackberry Summer (Hope's Crossing, #1)
  • Deeper (Lifeguards, #1)
  • Home to Honeymoon Harbor (Honeymoon Harbor #0.5)
  • Kissing My Old Life Au Revoir
A resident of London, UK, E.J. Shortall writes contemporary romantic fiction with a slant on the steamy side. Writing characters described as 'real' and 'relatable', E.J. creates stories that will draw you in a leave you wanting more.

Silver (2 books)
  • Silver Dove (Silver, #2)