Start by marking “The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix” as Want to Read:
The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix

The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix

(The Green Mile #4)

Time has run out for one of the inmates at Cold Mountain penitentiary. Eduard Delacroix is set to take that final walk down the Green Mile. But first he must say good-bye--to the guards, to his fellow inmates, and to a strange creature that forever changed his life. Little does he know of the terrible fate that awaits him, and of a devilish plan of revenge.

Noth
Mass Market Paperback, US / CAN Edition, 90 pages
Published June 1996 by Penguin (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix

Bradley
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, 2016-shelf
And finally we get to the fantasy and horror section of these collected novellas, and what a satisfying inclusion, with resurrection and a really, really grizzly death.

It was almost like a comedy of errors with all the things that went wrong, and I guess I'm just a sick and twisted individual to be like some of those watchers in the rows, crowing to their friends how they got to see him burst into flame and all that. I mean, what's the use of having friends if you can't live it up a
Kelsey
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you've seen the film, you'll know how 'bad' the execution of Delacroix is. But reading it? Woahhhhh way more graphic and horrifying. Amazingly written though and descriptively detailed.
Steph
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-in-2016
This is probably the toughest volume to read for many reasons.
1. Delacroix doesn't just die, King wasn't lying when he wrote the title of this volume
2. I hate Percy more than I thought was possible.
3. cliffhangers...

Why did I do this to myself? Why did I think waiting would be fun? 4.5/5
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
And the plot thickens... 4.5 stars
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazing, fall-2014
John Coffey was standing at his cell door, tears streaming from his strange, distant eyes - it was like watching blood run out of some unhealable but strangely painless wound. -Chapter 6

The Bad Breath of Eduard Delacroix. That is what I keep calling this by mistake.

A beautifully & shockingly written tale.
Nathan
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can't help but compare the segments to each other when I put a month between each...I've been reading them on the day of the new moon each month. The sky will be darker all night. This installment is one of the best. It's tense and graphically gruesome. Plus, the ending leaves you desperate for more story.
Dylan Perry
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite part thus far. Moving yet horrifying, all rolled into 60 short pages. I tore through this in one sitting.

On to part 5.
Becky
Well.....that was tough to read, but couldn't stop myself....That Percy -plain evil & stupid all rolled into one....
Arlene
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, library-finds
Even though you know he's a murderer and burned people, you still felt bad for Del in the end. And Percy has definitely made the list as one of the worst people in literature that I have read about. Seriously that one chapter was so hard to read. I closed my eyes in fear. This was a good one.
Megan
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Compared to part 3, I might put this book more under as 3.8 or 3.9 stars as I feel it's just a little bit under the 4 stars of "Coffey's Hands". Despite that small tidbit in stars & ratings, I genuinely did like this book. Yet again, the series continues to just grow with intrigue and a mixture of satisfaction/fright for me. The death of Delacroix was very bad and upsetting. My only negative thing about this part of the book, which is why it is a little bit lower than part 3, was that I have ...more
Lauren
The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix, aside from the upcoming events of volume six, is to me the saddest of all of the installments. Delacroix is a lovable and sweet french character, even for a murderer. It's really hard to read if you don't expect it from seeing the movie, and if you like Delacroix. When the frenchman arrives to meet his maker via Old Sparky, karma comes around from when he laughed at Percy earlier. I won't spoil it, but let's just say it isn't for the faint of heart. From the b ...more
Dallass
Oh, God. Poor Del 😭

This book is slowly doing me in. First Mr. Jingles, now Del. Percy is just an incompetent, mean, douchenozzle of the lowest order. King really has a knack for writing about lowlife bullies and arseholes.

As things really get going on the mile, I just want to keep reading. This book just pulls you in.
Dark-Draco
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, favorites
Was a good girl and managed to wait a bit before reading this one. Ok, I was asleep, but it counts! A gripping read, especially the death scene. Quite glad I read it before having my tea. I really hope that Percy gets his comeupance. Knowing King's sense of humour, I'm also hoping it will be really horrible.
Kate Hastings
While it could be said each of these six novella instalments are suitably named, this one is both perfect and and the same time sells itself short.
Way fucking short.
Gripping. Turbulent. Horrifying. Emotional.

#ReRead
Ella
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Oh my goodness, what can I say? The most gruesome by far of the ones I have read. I mean I wasn't surprised but I found it hard to eat the rest of my Christmas breakfast.
Jennifer Wheeler
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kayla
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Karen
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
King continues to construct a page-turning story with this fourth installment, again closing with a suspenseful plot point that would have driven me crazy if I had to wait a month to resume reading.
Brystan
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So good.

I cringed, and I cried.

I can't wait to read part 5.
Sonny Sehra
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stephen-king
“Bar-be-cue! Me and you!
Stinky, pinky, phew-phew-phew!”
– Wild Bill Wharton’s song about Delacroix’s execution.

I saw the movie before I read the books, I’m sorry. If you didn’t know, the movie is based on the book series by Stephen King. It was originally published in six parts, in different books. This part was a really short book but I read the complete serial novel. All six parts in one big book, so I had it all in my hands. I’ll review the series as separate because th
Mom2triplets04
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
It gets better and better as you read on.
*Dee's Book Carousel*
I loved Eduard Delacroix and his trained mouse... but that hateful guard was DEPLORABLE!!!!!!!!!
Stephanie
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-physical, fiction
Y'all I can't stop. I gotta know what happens! I'm not even gonna pretend that I'm waiting to read the next one. I'm going to start it this evening.
Melissa
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After a tense run-in with an orderly at the old folk's home, it takes Paul time to immerse himself back in the story.

The murder of Mr. Jingles incurred widespread anger and horror. Delacroix, who treated Mr. Jingles like his last bastion of sanity and calm, breaks down screening and crying. John Coffey asks for Mr. Jingles to be brought to him, and Paul acquiesces. Turn, everyone on Block E, side from Percy who had left in an air of taunting self-righteousness, witnesses his supernat
Claire
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This section of the Green Mile will go down as an example of the pinnacle of Stephen King's talent. He is incredible for daring to army crawl through muck in such a brave bold fashion, that as a reader I'm cringing and trembling to read...His courage to let his pen and brain dwell on the details of a sympathetic character's physical demise in an electric chair is horrific and writing gold. This has indelibly made it's mark for me in the canon of works I hold highest from King, and I am so glad I ...more
Muffin Pam
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Always great. This episode helps hold the story together, bring out the character of the characters, and put some gore into this long bitch! Kind of like we are walking down a green mile, the stories bring a long trek together into something you know is going to end bad. Here is a taste of how bad it can be.

Eduard Delacroix is fried/melted alive by Percy and we start to realize John Coffey is innocent.
Helen Vilaranda
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 If there is a character that I truly "hate" it is Percy Wetmore! He is so mean and vindictive! He believes that because he is the Governor's nephew that he can get away with anything. What he did to Eduard Delacroix during his execution was all because Del laughed at him! With each book, the terror is slowly climbing! Stephen King is getting to you through your mind! I always have goosebumps while reading(and not because it's cold)!
Rosalie
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Daniel
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh that damn Percy! Eduad was just a sweet old man, fine he raped and killed people but on the mile you got take what you can get. I forgot what Paul does with his shoe, the final proof he was going to show the guys to convince them to help Melinda.

And that awful Brad at the nursing home is Percy reincarnated.
chloe
And finally we get to the supernatural stuff🔥. At this point, I think Percy is one of my most hated characters of all time...I mean, King wasn’t lying in the title, it was horrifically gruesome. Also, I never thought I’d be saying this, but Paul has actually convinced me that Coffey is innocent...really intense cliffhanger there.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Apollo's Song, Part One
  • Night Visions 5
  • Roadwork
  • Day of Reckoning: The Stereoscope (Blackstone Chronicles, #5)
  • Uncanny X-Force, Volume 2: Torn and Frayed
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Fear Itself: The Horror Fiction of Stephen King
  • Shock!
  • Books of Blood, Volumes 4-6
  • Across the Nightingale Floor, Episode 1: The Sword of the Warrior (Tales of the Otori, #1 Ep. 1)
  • X-Men Legacy: Emplate
  • Tutti i racconti: 1927-1930
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: A Concordance, #2

The Green Mile (6 books)
  • The Green Mile, Part 1: The Two Dead Girls
  • The Mouse on the Mile (The Green Mile #2)
  • Coffey's Hands
  • Night Journey
  • Coffey on the Mile
“Y quizá todos fuésemos ratones de circo, yendo de aquí para allá, apenas conscientes de que Dios y sus guardianes divinos nos miraban en nuestras casas de cartón a través de ventanas de vidrio esmerilado” 0 likes