Start by marking “A Rose in Winter (La Vie en Roses, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
A Rose in Winter

Laura Florand

A Rose in Winter

(La Vie en Roses #1.5)

Allegra Caldron knew the rule never to talk to strangers. But on a cold winter night in Provence, she breaks that rule—and more—with an irresistible man. Raoul Rosier seems thrillingly dangerous, yet why does Allegra feel so safe with him—even when she believes he's a thief?

From No Place Like Home anthology
Published (first published December 3rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Rose in Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rose in Winter

Quinn's Book Nook
Sep 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-romance

*This novella was published in an anthology. The cover shown is from that Anthology, No Place Like Home.*
Despite the fact that I’m always a little underwhelmed with novellas, I am always picking them up. I think they are great for when you’re in a reading slump, or stuck in that I-don’t-know-what-to-read-next phase. And as I have so been enjoying Laura Florand’s books, A Rose in Winter, the prequel to the La Vie En Roses series, was a novella I had to read.

A Rose in Winter is about oldest Rosier

T.S. Pagan
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Parte da antologia No place like home
Maria Rose
I read this Laura Florand novella (part of a collection) before I had started writing romance book reviews, but I loved it so much that I went out and bought the paperback it was part of (No Place Like Home). It's the first of the La Vie en Roses series, Raoul and Allegra's story and I was blown away (as always) by the imagery and sensual tension in the story. Raoul is like the big bad wolf who can only be tamed by the right woman, who turns out to be a feisty one, and his perfect match. I love ...more
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
A short novella that should actually be .5 in Rose series. It's sweet, but too short to develop the characters to fully satisfy this reader and make their HEA feel as rewarding AMAs it could have. The conflict was weak too, mostly hurt feelings. You do learn Raoul's motivation for returning to France, which Matt (Once Upon a Rose) often wonders about in the first full-length story. Tante Collette is one to watch and, maybe, Pépé.
Karen
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this novella forever ago but apparently never reviewed it. I really loved it, though, and have re-read it quite a few times. It's such a lovely story.
Liliya
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Life changing, transcendent, etc, etc
Caro
Sigh. Only Laura Florand can make me believe in an insta-love story like this. This Red Riding Hood retelling was so sweet and whimsical, and I love revisiting the Rosiers.
Anna
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I adore Laura Florand. This book is no exception, although I wasn't so sure at first.

Florand always picks a physical sensation from the real world to build her book around, and in this case it was the mistral wind --- a strong, cold wind that persists in the south of France around Christmas time. Usually, the physical sensation is more sensual and sweeter --- chocolate or rose petals, for example. Who wants to read a romance built around the mistral wind?

It turned out I did. I think the lone-wol
Kelly
I loved a lot of things about the story, but it felt abrupt (even for a novella) and slightly too angst-driven for my taste. If you like angst and lovesick heroes, though, this one is for you.

Update: on a second read, I enjoyed this book a whole lot more. I love the imagery of Raoul as a wolf (contrasted with his cousins' portrayals). Raoul's and Allegra's speedy jaunt from utter strangers to love still feels real abrupt (and a little angsty), but it wasn't as jarring a second time around.
Lynn
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this lovely story very much. Allegra is an American living in Provence who meets Raoul whose family are fragrance growers for the perfume industry. They are immediately and intensely drawn to one another and their relationship starts out as a hot fire. As always with Laura Florand, a beautifully written and immensely satisfying romance. This novella is part of her new series Vie En Roses.
Deborah
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous one from Laura Florand. I want one of these French men for myself.

Raoul was amazing, so tender and gentle with Allegra and so tender-hearted himself. I love that about him, he is big, tough and strong, yet so soft and fragile inside. Allegra was wonderful, I loved her ability to talk to everyone and yet keep herself removed until Raoul came along. I loved the 2 of them finding their home with each other.
Serena
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-read
I only read Laura Florand's A Rose in Winter. 3 stars.
Sally
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A novella which I read as part of the anthology, no place like home. As always this book melted my heart. I love Allegra and Roaoul.
Laura Florands stories and characters live in my heart.
Ahria
Aug 06, 2015
RFM
Sep 30, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Laura Florand is the international bestselling and award-winning author of fifteen books, including the Vie en Roses series (Once Upon a Rose), the Paris Hearts series (All for You), and the Amour et Chocolat series (The Chocolate Thief). Selected by NPR for their Top 100 Romance list, her books have appeared in ten languages, been nominated for RT Reviewers’ Choice Best Book of the Year, received ...more

La Vie en Roses (7 books)
  • Turning Up the Heat (La Vie en Roses, #0.1)
  • The Chocolate Rose (Amour et Chocolat, #3; La Vie en Roses, #0.5)
  • Once Upon a Rose (La Vie en Roses, #1)
  • Night Wish: A Short Prequel to A Wish Upon Jasmine (La Vie en Roses, #1.75)
  • A Wish Upon Jasmine (La Vie en Roses, #2)
  • A Crown of Bitter Orange (La Vie en Roses, #3)
  • A Kiss in Lavender (La Vie en Roses Book 4)
“He felt as if he were blooming outward, his heart one of their own roses unfurling in deepest winter, which scared him because...well, roses that bloomed in the winter got frozen in the cold.” 1 likes