Start by marking “The Long Fall” as Want to Read:
The Long Fall

The Long Fall

How far would you go to protect your secrets?

Greece, 1980.

She is only eighteen, but this marks her fall from innocence.

It will haunt her for the rest of her life.

London, now.

But there
Published June 19th 2014 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about The Long Fall, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jackie Law
The Long Fall, by Julia Crouch, is described as a revenge thriller about a mother trying to protect her family. I found this aspect of the plot weak. The protagonist irritated me as so many of her actions reeked of stupidity. Her background may have been sheltered, but a working class girl clever enough to have been offered a place at Cambridge would be capable of critical thinking. The way she acted suggested a distinct lack of cognitive awareness.

Having said that, the first half of the book su
Liz Barnsley
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Publication Date: June 19th 2014 from Headline

Thank you to the author and publisher for the netgalley review copy.

Greece, 1980

She is only eighteen, but this marks her fall from innocence.
It will haunt her for the rest of her life.
In present day London Kate has the perfect existence: a glossy image, a glamorous home, a perfect family.
But there are cracks.
All is not what it seems.
And now the
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, my thanks to the publishers and the author for the opportunity.

A fantastic intriguing and fast paced novel from Julia Crouch. I could not put this one down once I started reading.

The book covers a tragic event that occurs on a backpacking holiday in Greece in 1980, the book weaves it's way through the events leading up to the tragedy in great detail, a young woman is linked to the tragedy, and indeed her journey up t
Christine
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for letting me read this great book!

In 1981, a young English girl goes off exploring Europe. She is painfully naive and accepting, making friends on her travels. Today, Kate has a grown daughter and a happy life. Events from the past cast a shadow on Kate's life and she suddenly is forced to confront what happened to her.

Wow!!!! I just LOVED this book. I happily enjoyed the descriptions of drunken times in Greece. I was longing for a beach and a vino, aft
Rachel Hall
The Long Fall sets out with an irresistible premise, posing the question of just how far each of us would go to protect our secrets and those we hold nearest and dearest. Julia Crouch explores this through the eyes of fifty-year old Kate Barratt, wife of wealthy hedge fund manager, Mark, mother to eighteen year old daughter, Tilly and prominent charity campaigner at the helm of Martha's Wish. When her younger daughter, Martha, died from an inoperable brain tumour at the age of eight, Kate establ ...more
Trish at Between My Lines
This review was originally posted on Between My Lines

This one was a page turner and a half!  Not for the twists, not for the shock value but for two fascinating characters whose stories command your attention.  So I’m warning you now, before you start it, clear the decks as all you will want to do is read and read and read.

“There were two truly unforgettable days in the life of Giorgios Moraitis.”

My Thoughts on The Long Fall by Julia Crouch

As soon as I saw the 1980s Greece setting, I had to ha
Cleopatra  Pullen
If you are looking for the perfect holiday read then this may just be it. Julia Crouch takes her readers on a journey to the island of Ikaria, taking in France and Athens on the way. This is the story of lone female traveller, Emma James, just eighteen in 1981, a girl determined to leave the northern town of Ripon behind, along with her boring parents and have an adventure before going to University but something terrible happens during the trip that changes her life forever.

In the present Kate
Claire
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-publisher
Published by headline on 19th June 2014. Thanks to Sam Eades at headline for the proof copy of this book, which I received in return for an honest review.

Set in part on the beautiful Greek island of Ikaria, this book is about secrets.'How far would you go to protect your secrets?' asks the back cover header. Promising intrigue and more than a little danger, this novel appealed to my love of suspense. I was not disappointed.

We follow main character Kate as she goes about her life as a housewife t
Cool
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you don't see The Big Twist coming in the early parts of the book, you'd better check your pulse to ensure you're still alive. I have concluded that the author believes her readers are as dense and clueless as her protagonist Kate.
Marina Sofia
Great description of backpacking holidays in youth and how things can spin out of control. A slow-burning mystery with a bit of an implausible end, but very interesting set-up.
A.J. Waines
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Greece, 1980 - Emma takes part in a shattering, violent event. An event to which she is anything but an innocent bystander. She is only eighteen, but this marks her fall from innocence.It will haunt her for the rest of her life.
London, now - Kate has the perfect existence: a glossy image, a glamorous home, a perfect family.
But there are cracks. All is not what it seems. And now the two worlds are about to collide. Somebody's out for revenge. Someone who has been waiting thirty years...

I really e
sue
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
Its 1981 and a young girl goes off on her travels through Europe. She's young, she's naive and inexperienced.

The book starts off with what looks like a struggle on a mountain top, but when she peers closer, its two people struggling. One goes over the edge.

The next part of the book covers entry's similar to data in a diary.

We move on to where she has married, and what appears from the outside a perfect home and family life. But cracks in the family life seem to appear bigger and larger as time
Trish at Between My Lines
This one was a page turner and a half! Not for the twists, not for the shock value but for two fascinating characters whose stories command your attention. So I’m warning you now, before you start it, clear the decks as all you will want to do is read and read and read.

My Thoughts on The Long Fall by Julia Crouch

As soon as I saw the 1980s Greece setting, I had to have it. And while reading, I was thoroughly immersed in the seedier side of Athens, drowning in cheap booze and experiencing the fear
Karen
Mar 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed reading two previous Julia Crouch novels but I'm sorry to say that this one didn't really work for me. The first half of the story is the slowest and told by way of journal entries kept by Emma. The main story is set in Greece, back in 1980 when 18 year old Emma is free from the stifling care of her parents and backpacking her way around Europe. After a traumatic event in France, she comes to Greece and is seduced by the hot summer heat and the booze and the drugs. She pals up with ...more
Leanna (daisychainbooks)
A summer page-turner from Julia Crouch, The Long Fall is a tale of innocence lost wrapped up in a murderous revenge plot.

1980: Aspiring writer Emma writes in her journal of having left her small-town life -and her small-minded parents- behind. She’s better than that; better than them. Emma plans on living a life full of adventure. She’s gone travelling to broaden her horizons, and as such she plans on her time abroad being culturally rich and populated with interesting characters with whom she’l
Littlenel
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to the author and the publisher for the advanced copy of this book.

I am a fan of Ms Crouch's work, having previously enjoyed Cuckoo, Every Vow you Break and Tarnished. I was not disappointed with The Long Fall.

The novel centres around Emma's story from 1980 in Greece which is told through diary entries made at the time, and Kate's story in current day London.

Emma's longed for trip of a lifetime, travelling before uni, doesn't quite go to plan and you are drawn into the trials that she
Janet
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Firstly thank you to the author, publisher and Netgalley for the advanced reader copy. Much appreciated.

This is the first of Julia's that I've read so I have nothing to compare to. I found this a difficult read, in so much that it just failed to engage me in any way. It got off to a really slow start so much so that I truly struggled with it and it just didnt't really improve for me. Nothing much about this book appealed to me. I didn't particularly take to the characters, I just didn't much car
Elaine
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: like-it-like-it
This is a gripping, chilling tale of a backpacking trip in 1980 to Greece that ends in a single horrific violent event.

Fast forwarding 33 years into the future, we join a woman who was party to that event. Now in her early 50s and outwardly successful, she has lived a life riddled with guilt over her part in the violence all those years ago but has covered her tracks well and believes she can never be linked to it. Nobody knows what happened all those years ago and she believes she is safe, but
Tracey Walsh
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A masterclass in suspense and psychological turmoil.
"How far would you go to protect your secrets?...two worlds are about to collide. Somebody's out for revenge. Someone who has been waiting thirty years..."
Told partly through the journal kept by 18 year old Emma on her travels in 1980, and partly the story of present day Kate, this is a gripping and spellbinding book with some moments of real horror. The author blends the two strands of the story skilfully, building tension in both 'time zones'
Stephanie
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like a quick entertaining read The Long Fall is for you. Part of the novel is set in the 1980s when Emma's holiday in Greece goes horribly wrong. I quite liked her but certain things I didn't care for, mainly her attitude towards her parents.
The other half is set in modern day. Now known as Kate, and living in a completely different world from 30 years earlier she is horrified when a face from the past brings back the horror of that holiday.
I loved the descriptions of Greece, back packing
Lisa Hall
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Netgalley Review Copy. I love Julia Crouch, so I was excited to get this sent to me - and it was fab. A brilliant story, good twists and just dark enough.
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
The ending of this book completely ruined it for me. Also, I knew who the bad guy was before the middle of the book. Very disappointing as I loved the premise.
Marie France Asselbergh
A total drag... unremarkable writing, cardboard characters and the main character is thick/naïve beyond belief.
Geraldine
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding book that has a great many virtues and few, small flaws.

I have to admit that I started off being quite sceptical. The main protagonist (I don't think it's a spoiler to say she's Emma in 1980 and Kate in 2013) is a school leaver destined to read English at Cambridge. Regular readers of my reviews will know that 'reading English at Cambridge or Oxford' is a red flag to me. It's usually a sign of laziness, or imagination fail, on the part of the writer (more below*). However, as the
Jackie Mcmillan
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
The twist is so obvious it bears down on this book like a freight train. I found this book a bit irritating to be frank, and nearly put it down twice. The writing isn't amazing, the lead protagonist, Emma/Kate isn't all that likeable or relatable, and it cultivates fear of outsiders. I don't rate it.
Myrna
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book right up until Part 3: After when the past catches up to the present. From that point on, I was just incredibly frustrated with Kate/Emma. She was so naive, I actually found her to be unbelievable. I also found the ending unsatisfying as everything wrapped up too neatly. This book left me feeling irritated, annoyed, and unfulfilled.
Mary Lou
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Emma is scarred by a dreadful incident in her past. But thirty years on, it comes back to haunt her.

I was a bit disappointed in this read. I struggled to side with Emma and her friends either in the then or the now. It is a well structured plot, even if it is a bit irritating, but it did take a very long time to sort it all out.
Mar Lorenzo
Found the story a little too far fetched..the main character got on my nerves at times, very weak and irrating... sometimes dragged on a little too much...
Quite predictable, figured out the ending about half way into it. :(
Sarah Staddon-Phillips
Page turning read. A plot that keeps you gripped and wanting to read 'just one more page'. Two very strong characters with twists and turns sprinkled through out the storyline that keep you guessing.
Paola Reyes
At first it was really boring, hard to read. After more than a 3rd part of it, began to be better. I think the author abused of words, really a lot of things could be taken off to make it more dynamic. The final was not good either.
« previous 1 3 next »

• My Last Confession
  • When Nights Were Cold
  • Into the Night (Amsterdam Quartet,  #2)
  • A Cry In The Night
  • The Sacrificial Man (Cate Austin, #2)
  • The Art of Drowning
  • What Lies Within
  • How the Trouble Started
  • You Will Never Find Me (Charles Boxer #2)
  • Mall
  • A Summer of Drowning
  • The Girl on the Stairs
  • A Kind of Intimacy
  • The Secrets Between Us
  • Accidents Happen
  • The Lost
  • London Calling (Inspector Carlyle #1)
  • Roadrage