Start by marking “The Fall of the Readers (The Forbidden Library, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Fall of the Readers (The Forbidden Library, #4)

The Fall of the Readers

(The Forbidden Library #4)

The final book in the exciting fantasy adventure series featuring a strong heroine who grows from reader to leader in a world where magic is contained and controlled through books.

When Alice defeated her uncle Geryon and declared war on the totalitarian ways of the Old Readers, she knew she would have a hard fight ahead. What she didn’t anticipate was how ruthless the Old
Published December 5th 2017 by Kathy Dawson Books

Django Wexler
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I hope everyone enjoys this one. It's been amazing finally bringing the series to the end I thought up years ago!
Rob
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Executive Summary: A good ending to the series, but I didn't like it as much as The Palace of Glass.

Full Review
I read very little Young Adult, and absolutely no Middle Grade. I'm not the target demographic by any means. I really like Django Wexler though, so I decided to pick up The Forbidden Library from the library a few years back.

By the time The Palace of Glass came out I was really enjoying the series and bought all the books. I was late in coming to fantasy, not really reading very much
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/12/04/...

Django Wexler’s outstanding Middle Grade series The Forbidden Library comes full circle in The Fall of the Readers, the concluding volume of this richly dark and enchanting adventure through the magical world of books. So far we’ve seen the young protagonist Alice through some very harrowing times, following her as she visits new worlds and encounters their strange and whimsical inhabitants—some of whom turn out to be al
Sana
May 31, 2016 marked it as need
GIVE IT TO ME!

I want so much Isaac and Alice it's not even normal. (view spoiler)

description
Daniel
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moram da priznam da sam možda imao nerealno velika očekivanja od završetka ovog serijala ali u svoju odbranu kažem da su prethodne tri jedne od mojih omiljenih (dark) YA knjiga.

Kako da objasnim, knjiga je odlično napisana, likovi su stalno opasnim situacijama ali se ponašaju onako kako bi od njih očekivali. Niko nije savršen, grške se dešvaju i priča nas drži u neizvesnosti tokom većeg dela. Ali meni lično knjiga jednostavno nije odisala da se dešava nešto epsko, iako se dešava, da vidimo finaln
GaiasWonderland
I really enjoy this series and this one was just as fun as the first three. The ending was just right.

What I liked the best were the original creations from the author like 'portal books', 'prison books' etc., the creatures from other 'portal books', the labyrinthine's and the forbidden library itself with all the cats in there.

I adored Ashes the talking cat the best as he has a feisty character and I thought Alice was becoming a bit more mature in this book.

Overall I enjoyed it and recommend
Becky B
Alice made her decision in the last book and now she and those allied with her are paying for it. The Old Readers are relentless in their attacks on Ending's library. For now Ending, Alice, and the other apprentices have been able to hold them off, but it is becoming increasingly clear that it is just a matter of time before they do break through. And their revenge against Alice and others will not be pretty. Ending provides Alice with one alternative to facing the ongoing onslaughts, but it is ...more
Nicki
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
With Geryon trapped in the Infinite Prison, Alice has marshalled the other apprentices and the library creatures at his estate to fight back against the old Readers. Even with the aid of Ending to push back the Readers’ creatures who invade through the Library, they are hard pressed to hold their ground, and Alice knows it’s only a matter of time before attrition takes its toll. Together, she and Ending concoct a plan for Alice to seek the Great Binding that holds at bay a creature who could des ...more
Adam Hoffman
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This review is from an advanced reading copy given freely and without obligation (my thanks to the publisher and author).

Where to start! I do not want to give ANY spoilers as we are still a few months from the official release date and I don't want to give anything away. Book 4 provides a satisfying finish (not a spoiler that this is the presumptive finale as stated on the cover and description). If you've read books 1-3 it's an obvious go out and buy and read. If you haven't, go grab books 1-3!
Denise Spicer
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This 358 page book gives us a great ending to this fantastic series. The author does a wonderful job of leading us through his plot with nicely drawn characters in intriguing settings. Surprise Twist!!! I highly recommend the entire series.
As Hot As Jack Frost
Jan 13, 2017 marked it as to-read
THERE'S ANOTHER BOOK? I THOUGHT THIS WAS A TRILOGY OMIGOD I'M SO EXCITED NOW!!!
Maša
In the last installment of the series, our heroes are betrayed and have to rush to save the world!

I like how the protagonist seem real, and how Alice grows more determined and focused after hardships and mistakes - I am really over moaning protagonists that overthink every little thing. I want to feel inspired by book people, not have them reflect my own failings! But I digress..

There is much at stake here bit it doesn't feel that way - in a book of 200 pages, you can't convey the context so go
John
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent conclusion to the series. As previously, my only cavil is that books here are pretty much used as furniture--they only serve as convenient plot devices and seldom if ever do you see anyone actually reading. Still, a diverting fantasy, fairly logical in construction and featuring lots of truly scary creatures.
Steen Nielsen
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What to say?

This is good, really good :)

I absolutely love the reader system and all the worlds that they can move through!

I think the tests in the grand labyrinth were a bit underwhelming, but the reveal later in the book more then made up for that.

Ashe the cat is pretty funny
Sriya Mudumba
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If I was not it in a book store, I would have screamed with joy when I read the last page.
Mark Buxton
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My name is Alice, and the fate of the world rests on my shoulders. I successfully imprisoned Geryon, but the other Readers are laying siege on me. I can't let them continue their cruelty toward magical creatures and the labyrinthine. Ending says she will help me if I take control of the Great Binding that holds a powerful prisoner. She says I must enter a labyrinth created by all the Readers that is protected by many formidable guardians. I don't know what will happen once I complete the quest, ...more
Cherie
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, kids
This volume is so full of action and emotion that I felt like I was holding my breath through the whole of it. It picks up just a few weeks after where the last volume left off, and it hits the ground running with the Old Readers lobbing attack after attack at Alice and her crew.

With lives at stake, and no time to think, Alice has to scramble to figure out a way to defeat the Old Readers. She has to push herself to the absolute limits physically, emotionally, and magically. She experiences loss,
Travis
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a fun, whimsical, and entertaining conclusion to the Forbidden Library Quartet!!!! I discovered Django Wexler about 3 1/2 years ago when I stumbled upon 2 books, The Forbidden Library and The Thousand Names. I started with the Forbidden Library and man did it ever impress me for being a middle grade. It had an easy to follow story, a wonderfully crafted world that any book lover would want to be a part of, and also a colorful ensemble of characters. Here we are with the Fall of the Readers ...more
Paige Canetto
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any fantasy lover over the age of 10
Okay, this series was amazing. Between the great female protagonists (yes, there's more than one), the amazing and unique world building, the multitude of challenges and obstacles, both to be fought, reasoned with, or outsmarted, and not knowing how it was going to end, this series was a masterpiece. I did see a couple of the main plot twists coming, (view spoiler) ...more
Quinn
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I was holding back from reading it because I didn't want it to end - I wanted to read more about the different worlds and its inhabitants that Wexler's dreamt up and the adventures Alice and the gang gets up to.

But all good things comes to and end, I suppose, and it was a good one.

(view spoiler)
Thomas Ray
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
meeners
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
probably a satisfying conclusion to readers who are really into The-Entire-Universe-Is-In-Danger-And-Everyone-And-Everything-Is-In-Mortal-Peril-type stories, but not really my cuppa these days; there are only so many battles and heroics and betrayals and leveling ups i can take before my mind starts to wander. the entire universe doesn't always have to be at stake for a story to feel urgent and important, as long as whatever's at stake is urgent and important to its characters....no?

on a relate
Rick Stuckwisch
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a strong finish to a fun series. I've enjoyed the whole thing, but this conclusion really took it to the next level. Well done. And a genuinely sweet, happy ending. I read the series to my older teens, and we didn't find it childish, silly, or too simplistic. Nevertheless, it would be a good choice for grade school, middle school, or junior high readers or listeners. Not lots of things to appeal to a child's imagination.
Alex
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inventory
Great read, love the series. The ending was fun and you know that when you make a deal with a cat, even if it's a labyrinth you are not making the deal that you thought you were making. I would love to have a book about what happens next. How people are handling the change and if Alice's efforts are making a difference.

Good ending to a series sixth grade on up who have read the rest and want to see how it all ends.
Ben
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good conclusion to the series. I felt that it ended well. The themes and arcs tying up nicely. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who has been reading the series. Likewise I would recommend this series to anyone interested in a fantasty story (accepting the young adult tag). I felt overall this was a well written series.
Paul-Baptiste
An enjoyable series overall and a satisfying conclusion in The Fall of the Readers. Staid - as is the norm for YA - but with enough adventure to make it exciting, this coming-of-age has enough individuality to keep it fresh. With a noble sense of morality and a strong female lead, this is a good choice for a YA fantasy series.
jassira raxlly
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm sad this is the end of the series. It was wrapped up nicely, but, still leaves me wanting to know what's going to happen and what those changes look like.
Maybe Wexler might do novellas or something for a glimpse into the future of Alice's world.
Ry Herman
A solid end to an excellent series. If it doesn't add a lot to the innovative concepts introduced in the first three books, it largely makes up for that by getting all the pieces into place for a satisfying resolution. It was great to finally see the end of Alice's journey, and how far she's come.
Marg Corjay
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this series. A fast-paced, action-filled JFiction read that keeps you engaged throughout. Unexpected twists and turns keep you turning the pages. No graphic violence, uncomfortable situation/language, or angst.
Erik
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good, satisfying end to an enjoyable series. This book started a little shaky by stating that things had happened a little differently at the end of book 3 then they really did, but that was a minor hiccup in the overall flow of a good concluding book.
  • Saturdays at Sea (Castle Glower, #5)
  • Pip Bartlett's Guide to Sea Monsters (Pip Bartlett, #3)
  • Untitled (Starters #3)
  • Dagger and Coin (Sword and Verse, #2)
  • Ever the Brave (A Clash of Kingdoms #2)
  • Untitled (Guardians of Tarnec, #4)
  • Untitled (Stealing Snow, #2)
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • The Fiercest Joy (The Sweetest Dark #3)
  • League of American Traitors
  • Crystal Blade (Burning Glass, #2)
  • These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)
  • A Legend of Starfire (A Sliver of Stardust, #2)
  • The Cerulean  (Untitled Duology #1)
  • The Brightest Embers (Broken Destiny, #3)
  • Into the Bright Unknown (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #3)
  • Playing with Fire (Slayers, #3)
  • The Long-Lost Home (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #6)
Django Wexler graduated from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh with degrees in creative writing and computer science, and worked for the university in artificial intelligence research. Eventually he migrated to Microsoft in Seattle, where he now lives with two cats and a teetering mountain of books. When not planning Shadow Campaigns, he wrangles computers, paints tiny soldiers, and plays g ...more

The Forbidden Library (4 books)
  • The Forbidden Library (The Forbidden Library, #1)
  • The Mad Apprentice (The Forbidden Library, #2)
  • The Palace of Glass (The Forbidden Library, #3)