Start by marking “Now I Rise (And I Darken Series, #2)” as Want to Read:
Now I Rise (And I Darken Series, #2)

Now I Rise

(The Conqueror's Saga #2)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  9,184 Ratings  ·  1,629 Reviews
She has no allies. No throne. All she has is what she’s always had: herself.

After failing to secure the Wallachian throne, Lada Dracul is out to punish anyone who dares to cross her blood-strewn path. Filled with a white-hot rage, she storms the countryside with her men, accompanied by her childhood friend Bogdan, terrorizing the land. But brute force isn’t getting Lada wh
Published June 27th 2017 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Now I Rise, please sign up.
Ryy Rabino Radu is irrational af. I GET IT THAT YOUR SISTER ISN'T THE IDEAL TYPE BUT WTF THAT STUPIDITY OF YOURS IS MIND-BLOWING. I hate him tbh. And I want Lada…moreRadu is irrational af. I GET IT THAT YOUR SISTER ISN'T THE IDEAL TYPE BUT WTF THAT STUPIDITY OF YOURS IS MIND-BLOWING. I hate him tbh. And I want Lada to live, obviously because she's awesome af. (less)
Priyanshi Seriously, you are not alone! I love Radu, even though he is not badass like Lada. Yeah, I know everyone loves a strong and badass character.
And…more
And historically speaking, Radu was indeed Sultan’s lover and concubine. He was known as "cel frumos". I totally ship them. *defends self with two spears*
And I seriously want Lada to turn into the infamous Impaler. She is just awesome.(less)

Emily May
"They are soldiers. They depend upon routine, and anything out of the ordinary will give them pause. And they are men. They hate to be insulted, but they love to hear others mocked. And they are fools, because they cannot imagine that a woman alone in the woods would be a threat."

That was AWESOME. I guess it's my "western" ignorance that keeps me thinking of this series as fantasy. It feels, to me at least, like fantasy. And yet, both And I Darken and Now I Rise are brutal, dark, fictional tal
Miranda Reads
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Do not lose that hunger. You will always have to fight... You will have to be more ruthless, more brutal, more everything.
Lada Dracul - Prince of Wallachia - is ready to rule her country...only that country refuses to be ruled by a Dracul or by a woman.

However, Lada has made her decision, and that is all that matters.
But she cannot rule alone - she has her loyal men, her childhood friend (Bogd
Em
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
....Hold hands with the devil until you are both over the bridge.
....Or kill the devil and burn the bridge so no one can get to you.

[tour guide voice] and to your right, you can see me, clearly still recovering from the jet lag of reading this book.

You know when you stay up all night reading and the caffeine starts to wear off and suddenly you’re lying face down on your bed like a dried clementine with zero sense of space or time?? That was me and I'm still waiting for someone to mistake my e
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone?? holy shit
Recommended to Elise by: Tori
this is the gay masterpiece I deserved in the year of our lord 2017

And I Darken was a well-written and developed book, but I had mixed feelings on the romance and wanted a bit more in the character department. I did not expect either aspect to improve. I definitely did not expect White to fix BOTH of my issues with book one. It's not often a sequel can surpass my expectations so much, but this sequel is undeniably better than book one. Now I Rise both does away with the love triangle drama and f
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Let us begin!!

**************THERE WILL BE SOME SPOILERS *************

Okay, so I freaking hate Mehmed! He was alright in the beginning of the first book when him and Lada, and Radu were just friends. And then he becomes Sultan and Lada encourages him and he's a prat! First off, I don't like that crap custom of having the harem. He's in love with Lada but popping out kids. My arse!

And Lada and Radu just keep loving him no matter what. The hell?

Anyhoo, Lada is off trying to get her throne of Wall
Lola
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nicolae put an arm around Lada, drawing her close. ''Make a deal with the devil until you are both over the bridge.''
''Am I the devil, or are they?''

Too often I read YA fantasy series that make me ask myself, ‘‘Why am I reading this book? What is the purpose of this story? Haven’t I read something similar recently?’’ But with this particular series, the purpose is clear.

Lada wants to be Prince of Wallachia. She will stop at nothing to achieve her goal. She will destroy anything and anyone t
Simona Bartolotta
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The daughter of Wallachia wants her knife back.

•Last year, I adored And I Darken. I think its publication was a true event; I don’t know of any other YA historical/fantasy series or standalones that can be said to get close to what And I Darken presented its readers with. Kiersten White had clearly meant her story to stand out as unique, and she succeeded gloriously. Just the fact that her heroine didn’t put love above anything else was impossibly refreshing; the two male protagonists were so
Candace
When I finished the first book in 'The Conqueror's Saga', I couldn't wait to get my hands on the next book. I absolutely loved Mehmed, Lada and Radu. I was completely taken in by their unique personalities and the love that they had for one another. Despite the fact that their interests were often conflicting, they managed to remain the closest of friends, and sometimes more.

However, I am sad to say that I didn't get the same pleasure from reading 'Now I Rise'. It was like this book came along a
C.G. Drews
This was so bloody and so brilliant. Like Lada has never had any chill, but she has LESS THAN NONE NOW because wow. This is fantastically dark and twisty and intriguing and also kind of depressing?? I admit I'm not giving it the full stars mostly because I felt...a bit slumped after the end. I shall explain. But just so you know: HOLY WOW I LOVE THIS SERIES A LOT.

+ The characters are totally what's absolutely caught my heart.
Like put in all the HEART EYES here for our Slytherin little children.
destiny ♎ [howling libraries]
#1 And I Darken ★★★★★
#2 Now I Rise ★★★★★
#3 Bright We Burn ★★★☆☆

They had nothing better, nowhere else to go. They were loyal to her, and to the hope that perhaps she would find them a place in the world.

FIVE. FREAKING. STARS. Now I Rise is non-stop action, death, war, betrayal, and general bad-assery from Lada. She was built into this amazing, fierce little creature in the first book, but her leadership qualities as well as her dedication to Wallachia really shine in this one.

PLOT ➳➳
After leavi
may ❀
IS THAT HOW ITS GOING TO END???? JUST LIKE THAT ????

Fricken hell, someone hold me, I've felt like my heart was in my throat for the last 5 chapters and now I'm going to continue the rest of my life like this
description

thanks for that keirsten white, i hope you're proud of yourself

4.5 stars (and im not promising any review go away and leave me to mourn my existence)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

attempt #2:

hoping this time ill be able to get into it

Buddy read with mah big sis, Jia

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

oh my
Sana
reading this book felt like a tedious chore.

literally nothing happens in this book and 1.5 stars only for Cyprian, Radu, Nazira and Fatima. everything and everyone else can choke.

-------
I'm expecting this to be wayyyyy more better than AID and if it's not I'm going to fight this book and beat it UP.

Buddy read with a hard mango
Whitney Atkinson

This series continues to amaze me just because of its depth and scope. For a while I thought this book was just boring politics, but then I realized that it continues to play with the themes of identity and religion/culture. But in this book, it also questions loyalty and morality and it’s just??? so good????? I don’t want this to sound like I’m shitting on other YA books but this is seriously so thought-provoking and mature (not in its content, really, just that it tackles so many them
Tweebs♥️ (semi-hiatus)
{Types on Google}

how do I explain to my family and friends that this book is the love of my life?

Yeah, review still coming :p

******************************************
PRE-REVIEW

reasons why i should never be trusted

✓ this book arrived so quickly like i didn't even blink yet and it was here.....right in my hands
✓ when i opened the box though that's when i realized that life will never let you just.......be
✓ first of all, i ordered the wrong cover
✓ trust me for once my eyesight is not the problem
Jiana
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
oh my God oh my God oh my GoD ohmygodohmygod OH MY GOD SOMEONE HOLD ME I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH

RTC!!!

Update 12/08/2017 : I finally have this beauty in my hands and so it's time to read it!!!

Actual buddy read (more like forced her) with my little sister Maymay.

••••

I'm impatiently waiting for my copy to arrive so I finally read this beauty. It's one of my 2017 anticipated reads so I really hope it's as good (or even better!) as And I Darken.

Buddy reading with my love

and... um, her too... yeah.
brekkersbutt
me talking about my bleak future in which i suffer a painful death from all the career opportunities i won't be able to snatch:

▶ 🔘──────── 00:09

me talking about how amazing and full of potential cyprian and radu are together:

▶ 🔘──────── 12:50:53

honestly, it's been such a long while since i've actually finished a book without DNFing it and actively writing a somewhat coherent review that all my effort and ambition has just squeezed its way down the drain.

in fact, i'm going to just lazily jot down
destini mia
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fierce-leads
"i don't like lada"

"she's too violent"

"what happened to her compassion"

"she's chang–"

this book was bomb and lada s l a y e d my entire existence.
She was a dragon. She was a prince. She was the only hope Wallachia had of ever prospering.
And she would do whatever it took to get there.

she is truly a fearsome thing to behold. so often in novels we get characters that will say they would do anything to accomplish their goals but stop just shy or the author events some miraculous loophole that give
Nastassja
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of And I Darken
“No one will be more brutal than me. No one will be more ruthless. And I will never stop fighting.”

And true to its word this book is more brutal, more ruthless, and stakes were never this high before. Reading And I Darken was not an easy experience for me, but Now I Rise doubles it in intensity and heartbreak. When you have to chose between people you love and right and wrong, things get very messy. There’s no white or black, everything’s gray and painful.

Once again Kiersten White immerses
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
The best YA historical fiction series in quite some time. This is one of those series that is so good, you don't want to risk giving any spoilers because it's just that good. The concept alone should be enough to sell the series: An alternate history with Vlad the Impaler as a girl. And if you haven't heard of Vlad the Impaler - he had a reputation for cruelty throughout Europe and took pleasure in torturing and killing his enemies with his most preferred method being impalement. He was also the ...more
may ➹
DNF @ 57%

how does one say........oops

I care about this book about as much as I care about myself, which is not much at all

1.5 stars and a short review to come making fun of this book because that’s the only good feeling I’ll ever have towards this series

// buddy read with batman
Bibi
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second time reading (in preparation for Bright We Burn, the last book of the series) and it's even better this time around which means I must change my rating, because that final showdown -between Lada and the Danesti Boyar nobility- is so deliciously devious it deserves no less than five stars.
April
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lada don't need no man.🙅🏻♀ ...more
Dannii Elle
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to the author, Kiersten White, and the publisher, Delacorte Press, for this opportunity.

This is the second instalment in the much-loved And I Darken series. The book is set primarily in the dual perspectives of Lada and Radu, daughter and son of the renowned Vlad Dragwyla, prince of Wallachia, during the nineteenth century. They spent their childhood used as political bargaining chips and lived as wards to the sultan of b
⚔ Silvia ⚓
Edit:
Hi, it is I, currently in a reading slump, who just received the ARC of this book, which one DEFINITELY shouldn't try to read while in a reading slump :)) Also guess who loved book 1 but doesn't remember a single thing about it :))) thank god for recaps online.

THAT COVER. Can I just tape it on the inside of my eyelids? *want want want*
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)
"Do not lose that hunger. You will always have to fight for everything. Even when you already have it, you will have to keep fighting to maintain it. You will have to be more ruthless, more brutal, more everything. Any weakness will undo everything you have accomplished. They will see any crack as evidence that they were right that a woman cannot do what you do."

If you're looking for a Young Adult novel that combines a Vlad the Impaler reimagining with a rich historical setting and a glorious
✨    jamieson   ✨
I AM BEYOND SHOOK THAT ENDING OH MY GODDD

Why is every event in this literally So Incredibly Shocking when it's historical fiction and I literally already wikipedia-spoiled myself

Anyway Radu is my son and I would literally die for him I love him so much AND OH MY GOD THE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. How is it so good Radu's growth is !!!!! god he needs to learn to love himself I'm so emo please son you're doing amazing sweetie (view spoiler)
Alana • thebookishchick
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-arcs

"No one will be more brutal than me. No one will be more ruthless. And I will never stop fighting"

Happy release day to this light fluffy read that will warm your heart!

Rating: 4.5/5

I received an ARC of this and I can finally post my review now that it's release day :)

In case you couldn't tell guys that is COMPLETE sarcasm. There is nothing light, fluffy, or heartwarming about this book yet it is still AMAZING. Now I Rise is the sequel to And I Darken and let me tell you this book 1. did not
Tova
FULL REVIEW HERE!

---
Initial reaction: GODS WOUNDS! This book slew my entire existence. I am deceased, I hope your happy Kiersten. Basically, this book has Feelz for Dayz and I just want to reread this book over and over again because this book saved my life and kept me afloat on a really dark day. My review will come ASAP and it's gonna be so long because I have way too many feelings. But in short: all I want for my precious babies is happiness. They deserve the world and if Kiersten doesn't giv
Natalie Monroe
"I think if you had been a boy, perhaps you would have been satisfied with what the world offered you. This is how we are alike. We saw everything that was not ours, and we hungered. Do not lose that hunger. You will always have to fight for everything. Even when you already have it, you will have to keep fighting to maintain it. You will have to be more ruthless, more brutal, more everything."

You know what I love about this series? You have no idea how it's going to end. This is, of course, a
Christian
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Maybe more of a 4 1/2, but I don't know and I don't have the energy to force my brain to figure it out because this fantastic sequel made it shatter like that locket on the cover, thanks and goodnight. I am so done.

* * *

Because I didn't already suffer enough reading my last book and because I apparently can't read anything with less than 450 pages and because book 3 is out super soon and, most importantly, because I miss Radu.
  • Into the Bright Unknown (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #3)
  • Endless Water, Starless Sky (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #2)
  • Fury (Menagerie #3)
  • Avenged (Ruined, #2)
  • Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity, #2)
  • These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)
  • Untitled (The Witchlands, #4)
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
  • Seeker (Riders, #2)
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • The Cursed Heir (Spirits and Thieves, #3)
  • Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • The Fallen Kingdom (The Falconer, #3)
  • Defy the Stars (Constellation, #1)
Kiersten White is the New York Times bestselling author of many books for teens and young readers, including And I Darken, Now I Rise, Bright We Burn, The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein, and Slayer. She lives with her family near the ocean in San Diego, where she perpetually lurks in the shadows. Visit Kiersten online at KierstenWhite.com and follow @KierstenWhite on Twitter.

The Conqueror's Saga (3 books)
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga #1)
  • Bright We Burn (The Conqueror's Saga, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Girl I Used to Be
    $7.80 $2.99
  • After the Woods
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Hold hands with the devil until you are both over the bridge.
Or kill the devil and burn the bridge so no one can get to you.”
71 likes
“The world will destroy her in the end. Too much spark leads to explosions. But your sister will destroy as much as she can before she goes out. She will go down in flames and blood.” 45 likes