Start by marking “Wars to End All Wars (SFFWorld.com anthology, #3)” as Want to Read:
Wars to End All Wars (SFFWorld.com anthology, #3)

Wars to End All Wars (SFFWorld.com anthology, #3)

Alternate tales set during the first World War, this short story collection takes history and tweaks it.

2014 marks the 100th anniversary of the start of World War 1. Seven authors, including the award-winning Science Fiction and Fantasy author, Elizabeth Moon, commemorate that event by writing stories set during the great war, adding their own, sometimes speculative, inte
Kindle Edition
Published July 28th 2014 (first published July 26th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Wars to End All Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wars to End All Wars

Jeffrey
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
There's a bit of something for everyone, and the entire anthology would be worth the price just for the Elizabeth Moon short, especially if you haven't read it before.

Some thing about alternate history really speaks to the roots of science fiction. Everyone has played the what if game in their own lives, and most people have probably thought about what if in historic terms.

Whole genres of historic fiction are really about adding a new spin on history.

Here are some visions, primarily by up and
Sean McLachlan
I'm a student of World War One and love good historical speculative fiction, so I was eager to read this. Also, in the interests of full disclosure, I'm a friend of one of the contributors. I make it a policy not to review friends' work so I won't be mentioning Andrew Leon Hudson's story "The Foundation" in this review. There's enough other material to make an overall assessment.
Things start badly with a poor introduction by editor N.E. White, who informs us "In the summer of 1914, war was decla
M.G. Mason
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the second volume I have reviewed for SFFWorld courtesy of blog buddy NE White. The first was a mixed bag of End of the World stories. This, if you have not already figured out, concerns the First World War, arguably the most brutal war in history until that point. Here in the UK, we mark Remebrance Day on the 11th November as the anniversary of the end of the war and though it is used to commemorate all of our war dead, it reminds us especially of the great sacrifice made between 1915 a ...more
Andrew Hudson
Jul 25, 2014 marked it as wrote  ·  (Review from the author)
The third annual, forum-exclusive-if-not-actually-official SFFWorld.com short fiction anthology picks up where the previous two left off - and I'm not just saying that because I proof-read the first volume and have stories in both the others.

In all three collections, the reader is faced with a mixture of new and established authors all writing to a common theme, and in my opinion the books show a steady development; not in terms of the creativity so much as general polish and professionalism on
Ches Smith
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a quick, interesting read. All the stories are well written, some with a subtle, alternate history take on the events depicted. I'm not a big fan of stories set during WWI, but this held my attention and made me curious to learn more about that period of history.
N.E. White
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I know, I shouldn't rate this, but I did.
Bruno Di Giandomenico
May 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Frankly a disappointment. And not so small. A small collection of short stories, all about some alternative possibilities if some events had occurred differently in conjunction with WW I.
The only tale I am saving is the one written by Elizabeth Moon, where the Britich Navy goes against the German cruiser Goeben, at the beginning of the war. The tale is well told and entertaining, whereas the others leave a lot to be desidered. There is an alternative story on Adolf Hitler, the first and last do
G.L. Lathian
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Once again, shouldn't be doing this, but it's young so we'll help it out while we can :D
Wilson Geiger
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Review to come.
Bcvs
added it
Jul 30, 2014
Igor Ljubuncic
Aug 01, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Miza Peters
Ann
May 04, 2017
Kimberlie
May 17, 2017

N.E. White was born in California to a Texan native and a Mexican immigrant. Her professional pursuits include environmental management and spatial analysis. She writes fiction in her spare time after walking the dog.