Start by marking “Better Left Buried” as Want to Read:

Brother dead.
Best friend missing.
House ransacked.
Stalked by a stranger.
Attacked in the street...

...And Sarah has no idea why.

She never knew her brother was hiding a dark secret when he died. But now his reckless actions have led the wolves to her door. And the only way out is to run.

A tense, unnerving thriller that will set your heart racing, from the author of NOW YOU
Paperback, UK
Published May 1st 2015 by Usborne Publishing

Liz Barnsley
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
**4.5 stars**

So I LOVED Emma Haughtons "Now You See Me" so I was very happy to read "Better Left Buried" and even happier that it was just as good, if not better.

A gorgeously written YA mystery story with some really terrific characters - Sarah has recently lost her brother, very suddenly to heart failure. We meet her a little while into the aftermath, when her Mum is struggling to cope and her Dad is trying to keep the family together. Sarah herself has been relying very much on best friend Liz
Sal
So I'm going to attempt to keep this review as spoiler free as possible because to be honest, revealing even a fragment of the story might just ruin the element of surprise and that suspense! We don't want that. Does that tempt you enough to pick up a copy yet?

So last year, I picked up Emma's debut Now You See Me (you can find my review of it here) and I really enjoyed that one! Emma's writing is highly engrossing, precise and gritty. She projects that teenage voice in her books perfectly throug
Zainab Ishaq
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Well this was my third book by Emma Haughton. I really liked the other two books by her but the plot of this book was kind of predictable.

Story is about a girl named Sarah whose brother is dead. Her mother is in depression and she is stalked by a stranger. Moreover, she has also been attacked in the street.
One day her best friend Lizzie wants to disclose something to Sarah but upon seeing that stranger she just keeps her mouth shut and disappears without any trace. Now Sarah is only left with th
Noella
Jun 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't have any strong feelings about this read. It wasn't bad but didn't get my heart racing or thrilled me like the blurb promises. I was mildly interested in finding out why Sarah had all these crazy things happening to her but I didn't really connect with her so I continued reading only because I wanted to see how the mystery (view spoiler) would unfold.
Kendra
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I started Better Left Buried intending to read only a couple of chapters, then stayed up till 2am to read the whole thing as I couldn't put it down. Emma Haughton skilfully builds the tension throughout, right up to the dramatic conclusion. You never know which characters to trust, and I loved the various twists. A really pacey, satisfying thriller.
Sherie Lees
Jun 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
dalal.bookworm
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
SO!! The story about a 17 year old Sarah who is trying to cope with the death of her brother and also help her mother through her grief. And She never knew her brother was hiding a dark secret when he died...
Then Sarah's best friend goes missing, her house is burgled and she is attacked in the street. Someone is looking for something.

I loved how the book started with so many secrets and questions .It was a gd read .but tbh the plot of this book was kind of predictable And the first half of the b
Melanie-ann Diesel
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
A cracking YA read. Fast paced and exciting with a feisty female protagonist. This is the stuff I'd like to write. (Which is why I read it in the first place.)
Katrina Henley
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book captured me, even though it not my normal typical read. The book had a few interesting storylines in there and found it hard to think it’s aim at young adults under usborne. It was well written and have another one of Emma Houghton books to read next.
Catherine
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Better Left Buried
I received this book from goodreads first reads.
It is a fast-paced thriller for the younger market, but enjoyable for anyone.
Sarah is a likeable lead character suffering from the grief her whole family feel after the sudden death of her elder brother.
She realises she is being stalked by the enigmatic Jack, and the suspense is really ramped up from there.
Can she, or can she not trust him? Will she end up dead like her brother? What is her best friend Lizzie hiding?
Read it and fi
Kelly
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I won a copy of this through Goodread's first reads so first off thank you.

This fast paced YA thriller that keeps you gripped throughout. After the loss of her brother Sarah thought life couldn't get worse, but little did she know that it was just the tip of the iceberg. Having never read a book by Emma Haughton I wasn't really sure what to expect but I wasn't disappointed, well written it keeps the suspense throughout and never really knowing which characters you can completely trust. A good re
Emasoso
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I am not ganna say that I didn't like this book , no I did like the beginning a lot it was mysterious , you just want to know what was going on to Sara , who was following her , why her best friend disappear . There were a lot of things that make you wanna reach the end .. But wen I reach the end I just did not like it it happens so quickly that is the one thing that I did not like about this book . Other than that it was great .
Suzanne Gibson
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
17 year old Sarah is trying to cope with the death of her brother and also help her mother through her grief.
Enter Jack, who knows more that he is willing to tell and takes Sarah on a fast paced trip to Sweden to discover the truth.
A gripping read written for young adults I would say and highly enjoyable
Kirsty
Mar 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: uk-author, ukya
I read Now you see me last year and enjoyed it a lot. As a consequence I was really looking forward to this book.

Better left buried was a fast paced thriller which engaged me throughout. I did enjoy finding out more about the story as it unraveled but sometimes didn't always feel the connection with the main character in order to get completely invested in it.

All in all a book I did enjoy but not necessarily not one I was totally hooked on.
Ami Michelle
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoys this book. Emma Haughton was a completely new author for me - I loved the style of writing. I enjoyed the plot of the story and felt that I had an understanding of the characters. Would definitely recommend.
J.M. Forster
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another good read. I enjoyed it but perhaps not as much as Emma's Now You See Me. This might be because the subject matter didn't grip me in the same way. I'm not the target readership though, so it could be I'm just too old ;)
Helen Lancaster Lancaster
Ok

The story was good and I was quite curious how Max died so it kept my interest. Unfortunately it wasn't exactly my kind of book. Too slow.
Ayis
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
⭐⭐⭐ ...more
Kay
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I think I was mislead by the 'tense thriller' blurb. I see now that this is a young adult book, and this shows in the storyline, a bit dull.
Alice
Aug 29, 2015
Emma Howorth
Jan 07, 2016
Sahara Furbank-Meyer
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book, loved the plot and the characters. I liked the twists and the mystery in it. "Maybe when your life threatens to collapse beneath you, the only person who can help is the last person on earth you should actually trust."
Kerry McMurtrie
jackie
Sep 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• For Holly
  • Behind every mean girl...There's a tragedy
  • Count Me In: How I Stepped Off the Sidelines, Created Connection, and Built a Fuller, Richer, More Lived-in Life
  • Hunt for the Pyxis (The Galaxy Pirates #1)
  • Medusa's Curse (Myth Raiders, #1)
  • Into The Unknown
  • Greedy For Life: A Memoir on Aging with Gratitude
  • Nothing Is Promised
  • Killing Ways (Ren Bryce, #5)
  • Final Resort (Treasure Seekers #3)
  • Vagabond Dreams
  • The War Against the Assholes
  • Imposter
  • Never Sleep
  • Revelation (The Seven Signs, #1)
  • Mockingbird Songs
  • Utopia, Iowa
  • Romeo, Juliet, and Jim
Emma Haughton grew up in Sussex and, after a stint au pairing in Paris and some half-hearted attempts to backpack across Europe, studied English at Oxford and got a job as a journalist. She wrote many articles for national newspapers, including the Times Travel section.

Emma wrote a picture book called RAINY DAY and several non-fiction books for schools before YA thriller, NOW YOU SEE ME, was publ