Start by marking “Five Dates” as Want to Read:
Five Dates

Five Dates

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  2,758 Ratings  ·  484 Reviews
Helping his sister Lucy raise her kid has put Devin’s love life on hold. When he loses a bet to her and the penalty is to go out on five dates with men she’s chosen from Guys4Guys.com, he thinks that’s bad enough. Finding out she used a thirteen-year-old picture of him to score a date with a young guy who looks like a rock star? Epically bad.

Jay thought he wanted to fall f
Published July 25th 2014 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Five Dates, please sign up.
Amy Cousins Hi! Sorry I didn't see this before now. :) I have a short story, "Dance Hall Days," in the ALL IN A DAY'S WORK anthology coming out from Dreamspinner…moreHi! Sorry I didn't see this before now. :) I have a short story, "Dance Hall Days," in the ALL IN A DAY'S WORK anthology coming out from Dreamspinner Press on 9/22. It's set in a 1930's London drag dance hall, and I now want to write a dozen more books in this fascinating world. After that, the first book in my LGBTQ "Bend or Break" series from Samhain releases on 12/30. OFF CAMPUS is a contemporary NA about two young men trying to hide out from the world when they're stuck together as roommates and boundaries start blurring... You can find it here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... (less)

☆ Todd
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mine

Okay, I must say, *THAT* is how you write a short story!

I absolutely loved both Devin and Jay
to death. Both men were just too adorable for words.

Aaaaaand kinda stupid at the same time.

There were also a few inconsistencies age-wise, which did tend to drive me a bit bonkers.

- Devin's sister got pregnant when she was 18. He's 3 years older than her. It's been *10* years. But he's 35? That math adds up to *31*, so I was more than confused. But I stuck with 31 vs. 35, because large age differences
Emma Sea
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
That was delightful. Refreshingly well-written, adorably romantic, and the scene in the car was unexpectedly hot.

A single fingertip traced up the back of Devin’s hand until it hit the bare skin of his wrist.

The scritch of a nail against his wrist shot electricity up his arm until it bounced around his insides, making every inch of him twitch and then freeze when Jay’s fingertip slid under the hemmed edge of Devin’s glove.

Jay stilled too, that one trespassing finger pushed deep under the supple l
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

This was a fun story, well written and genuinely sweet.

How many bad dates does Devin, a 31-year-old draftsman, have to suffer through on a bet he lost (again) to his sister when he meets his dream guy on the very first one?

Too bad Jay wants nothing to do with him. Jay was burned by his last "daddy" and wants someone who's his peer.

While I enjoyed this story, I think the age gap was greatly exaggerated. Based on my calculations, Devin was 31, and Jay maybe 22, old enough to drink. Dev
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*

Let's get to the point...

How can a book be a 4 star read for the first half and then be just ok the second half? I mean, why???!!! I was really enjoying this one but suddenly the chemistry was gone, the butterflies abandoned my stomach and this was just another book that I will probably forget soon.

And pls don't take me wrong, the writing was very good, the characters were very likeable and even though some situations were not real you'll still have a good time reading it.

Hope you enjoy x
Catherine
*** 4.5 Stars ***

Okay, I'm going to be honest with you: there wasn't anything in this story that I haven't already seen in a thousand Hollywood romcoms. Seriously. There was a meddling sibling, an implausible scenario used to bring two unlikely people together, some snark, some laughs, lust at first sight, pining, someone getting drunk, denial of feelings due to past baggage, the Big Realization, and a Big Declaration of Feelings (which naturally leads to scorching hot sex and a sweet as can be
Sophie  **2 Greek Girls Reading**
After a lost bet, Devin has to go out on five dates with guys that his sister has picked. She made an online profile for her brother, using an old picture of him, when in his body description was still included a six [or even eight] pack.

Devin at first is against the idea, because he's not into dating, especially after learning about the picture that she used for his profile.It's obvious that he doesn't look like that anymore, since he's not a boy, but a man. The first date that agreed to go out
* Meli Mel *

♥ ♥ ♥ 3.5 STARS ♥ ♥ ♥

What a cute, fun, little story. I really enjoyed it and was still able to connect with the characters Devin and Jay despite its short length. It was sweet and steamy. Overall, a good quick read.
Ami
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ami by: Meep
Well, look at that, the first foray of an HQN-published (M/F) author into MM and I loved it.

Usually, when I read about age-gap stories (not a frequent occasion but I do read them once in awhile), it would be the older guy who would feel insecure about pursuing a relationship. The younger guy would be the one more determined. The situation here was rather different. Jay just walked out of a relationship with an older guy who looked down upon him. Jay didn't want another daddy even if Devin was a
.Lili.
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: May/December romance lovers, Feel Good stories

OMGsh this novella-

It was so cute! It had a complete story- which I can't even imagine how hard that is to do on a limited number of pages. This was a sweet, sexy, feel good story. It had a bit of everything:

*great characters
*story flow
*steam
*humor
*tiny sprinkle of angst
*and at the end you will be left with a smile on your face

I would LOVE to read a full length book about Devin and Jay. *fingers crossed*

Definitely recommend this one! Amy Jo Cousins could easily become a favorite author of mine-
Sheziss
2.5*

THIS IS TAPAS!

So please, let me fangirl a little here *swoons*.

They mention:

-Queso manchego

-Jamón ibérico

-Aceitunas

-Tortilla

(and super tortilla LOL)

But that's not enough for meeeee! Tapas frías are ok, but if you want to be fully satisfied it's a good idea to ask for tapas calientes, too. IDK: patatas bravas, calamares, chopitos, pulpo a la gallega, mejillones tigre, chorizo, setas al ajillo, gambas, etc.

Some other issues:

Jay didn't real l care for any of the three flan flavors, but he like
Fabi
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so cute! And sweet and HOT. What more can you ask for?

Perfectly written and edited? ✅

Excellent rec from my buddy m/m readers at Turning Pages at Midnight.
Loederkoningin
A strong, amusing beginning that made me anticipate a 5 star read. Somewhere along the way the story managed to peter out though. Though sweet and not without sizzling UST, the characters were rather bland and the situations they found themselves in became a bit too silly for my liking. Lazy plotting; leaning on your MC's assumption that his 35 year old love interest is an asshole, solely because he got burned by another 'old' man in a past relationship, for too long to keep the drama and UST go ...more
Anyta Sunday
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hey, yeah! I thought this was fab! If this is anything to judge by, her MM release in December is going to be a stunner!

Fun, cute, and some great writing!

Easy, sweet read. Recommend!
Susan
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, comfort-reads
Re-read October 4 2015

This one never disappoints.

------------

This was freaking adorable!

After reading the prompt, I wasn’t so sure I would like this one. But I loved it!

When Devin loses a bet with his sister, he needs to go out on five dates. His sister posts a picture of him on a dating site and arranges which men he will go out with. But she used an old picture of him, a picture of 13 years ago...

So when he meets Jay for his first date, Jay is angry for being lied to. Jay is 25 and was looking
Meep
Two very likeable characters. Devin is a nice man and a good brother wanting to move from hook-ups to something deeper. He meets Jay with help of his well-meaning but meddling sister; Jay who is gorgeous and sparkling, his reaction to the introduction is a big 'OUCH' that made them feel real and both develop as the story continues.

I really liked both of them and I liked how they danced around their attraction before both realising the other was everything they wanted. Enough feelz to have you ca
MaDoReader
Feb 28, 2016 marked it as nope-por-una-buena-razón
Quito reseña y rating
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4 Stars***

I'm kicking myself in the ass for not having read Amy Jo Cousins sooner. Bad life decision.

This short story has been siting on my kindle forever, and for some reason I always skipped over it. Continued bad life decisions.

This was such a fun, low-angst morsel of sweetness.

Writing shorter stories or novellas is a craft all its own, and the author did a wonderful job here. The pacing was perfect, the story felt fully fleshed out, the characters were easy to connect to, the touch of
Jenni Lea

That was just too cute for words!
Julio Genao
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: novella
a rushed ending and a couple of character-trait excesses hampered my enjoyment.

the author's voice is assured and engaging, and her thoughtfulness and attention to detail make her writing instantly recognizable as a cut above the norm.

which makes this story's rushed feel a particular shame.

it happens all the time with these mm romance group stories. an author can run out of time when their premise turns out to be richer and more rewarding than anticipated.

I would guess that's what happened here,
Marcie
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shorts
Devon had to go on a series of 5 blind dates as a result of losing a bet to his sister. A bet he didn't mind losing once seeing the picture of the tan, black haired, dark eyed (at least 10 years younger than him) angel. Well, that is until he finds out his sister posted a 13 year old picture. What happens next is far from an easy hook-up for this adorable MC who had me right from the get-go with his spanish food lingo...*sigh*

This was such an enjoyable read that I can not believe it's free!
Ann
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is exactly how I like my adorable, with a side of snark and smex. Loved it!
Marte - Thunderella

**** 4,5 date stars *****

This was exactly what I needed! Such a heartwarming short tale.

--------------------------------------------------------

MM Romance group - Love Landscapes

PHOTO DESCRIPTION:

A good-looking, young blond man leans back against exposed pipework. He is shirtless and his jeans look a little old-fashioned with their light wash. His arms are huge and he sports a six-pack, although he’s already looking the tiniest bit soft around the waistline. As if that six-pack might not quite
Kaje Harper
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
A cute, fun read about a guy whose sister tries to set him up via blind dating. Devin loses a bet with his sister, and has to agree to five dates of her choosing. The first is Jay, a younger man she lured in with an old picture of Devin from years earlier. It's embarrassing, but Devin has to admit if he really was ten years younger, Jay would be exactly what he'd be dreaming of. A pity he has to move on to dates two and three, and men his own age who don't show up expecting a twink...

I enjoyed t
Sara
This has inspired a whole new shelf that I am calling "Prince Related" since you know, the almighty Purple One sings about Sexy Motherfuckers and all. YUP.

This was ridiculously...
Hot.
Sweet.
Funny.
FUCKHOT.
Sexy.
Adorable.
Did I say hot yet?

This was so good. I could have read double, no triple the pages of Jay and Devin.

Oh and way to go, Lucy! Job well done, girlfriend.
Elsbeth
I want to read stories like this all the time!!!
Why didn't I read this sooner??? WHY......?

I was eating this up with a spoon!!! Devin and Jay were so cuuuuuttte!!!

”The thing is…” He tried to figure out how to put it without announcing that he needed to get his well-fucked ass into the shower with his new boyfriend.
A shout rose over the spatter of water hitting porcelain. “Tell her she got it right the first time.”
Winking with more sauce than a chocolate sundae, Jay glanced back over this should
BR11
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, not-too-steamy, sweet
Awww, this one is so good! Short and sweet and with a happy ending! And it's free on Amazon (10/12/16)!!
What else can a girl ask for? Did I mention the two MCs are cute as they can be?
Highly recommend!

Jay
Izengabe
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Este me tocó la fibra y me dejó resacosa a pesar de ser una historia muy corta y muy sencillita.
Devin y Jay me enternecieron. Mucho.
No sé, tiene algo de segundas oportunidades y de encuentro de soledades, que me llegó al corazón.
Sin pretensiones, dulce, le cogí cariño.
Y la escena en el coche... buenísima y muy conmovedora.
Me dio mucha pena que se acabara :(
Zainab
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I actually liked this one a lot, it was so funny and it made a good company in my way back home <3
Lori
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bmbr-reads
Five Dates is the kind of gooey, yummy short little romance that I adore. Devin just can't stop betting with his little sis - even though he always loses and the forfeits are always embarrassing. This time is no exception, when the team he backed loses he has to agree to five dates, of his sister's choice. Oops.

The first hottie she sets him up with is Jay, and Jay is amazing, but about ten years younger. He's also pissed off because the picture Devin's sister had used of Devin was a decade old.
MostlyDelores
Annoying. The potential for a five star book is right there, but the obstacles between these guys and their happy ending are so obviously manufactured that I lost patience.

The nosy sister and sassy BFF are hella clichéd too.

But the writing is good; the voice is cheerful and agreeable, and I will definitely look for more from this author.
Romance Readers R...: February Buddy Read- Five Dates 29 42 Feb 23, 2015 07:15PM
  • The Lonely Drop
  • 500 Kisses
  • BTW I Love You
  • Making It Work
  • Waiting for Clark
  • Sixty Five Hours: The Twelve Days of Christmas (Sixty Five Hours, #1.5)
  • Watching Elijah Fall
  • #First Impressions #Second Chances
  • Better Than New
  • All or Nothing
  • Straight Men Can't Cook
  • Man of the Match
  • An Old-Fashioned Love Song (Woodshed, #1)
To get updates on Amy Jo's new releases, sign up for her newsletter at http://eepurl.com/YdVW1.

Amy Jo Cousins lives in Chicago, where she writes contemporary romance, tweets more than she ought, and sometimes runs way too far. She loves her boy and the Cubs, who taught her that being awesome doesn't necessarily have anything to do with winning.
“Species went extinct and new ones evolved from protozoa while he sat in his car in the dark and waited to see how badly he'd fucked this up.” 1 likes
“Stop throwing your football at the ceiling. I hate you.” Most of the time he loved living above his sister in the” 0 likes