Start by marking “The Warden and the Wolf King (The Wingfeather Saga #4)” as Want to Read:
The Warden and the Wolf King (The Wingfeather Saga #4)

The Warden and the Wolf King

(The Wingfeather Saga #4)

All winter long, people in the Green Hollows have prepared for a final battle with Gnag the Nameless and the Fangs of Dang. Janner, Kalmar, and Leeli—Throne Warden, Wolf King, and Song Maiden of Anniera—are ready and willing to fight alongside the Hollowsfolk, but when the Fangs make the first move and invade Ban Rona, the children are separated. Janner is alone and lost i ...more
Published July 21st 2014 by Rabbit Room Press

To ask other readers questions about The Warden and the Wolf King, please sign up.
Dave Second vote for Chronicles of Narnia (if you haven't already.) I'll remember reading them w/ my kiddos when I'm 100. Life alteringly wonderful. And Th…moreSecond vote for Chronicles of Narnia (if you haven't already.) I'll remember reading them w/ my kiddos when I'm 100. Life alteringly wonderful. And The Hobbit. (I'm not varying much from Meredith, eh?) A Wrinkle In Time (and it's four more books with the same characters, but not a continuation of the story) was great.(less)

Start your review of The Warden and the Wolf King (The Wingfeather Saga #4)
In the words of Thorn O'Sally- "It's good. Real good." ...more
Josh
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many of my reviews boil down to something like, “This book was real good.” And that isn’t as helpful as it probably could be. So, even though I do think that the last installment of the Wingfeather Saga was excellent, I’d like to go a step further and give you seven reasons why you should read it. Here goes!

7 Reasons to Read The Warden and the Wolf King

Andrew Peterson is a gifted storyteller.

There are writers who are known for creating strong characters. Others have signature plot twists or desc
Katie
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reccomendations
An epic ending to an epic story. So very worth the read. Stories like this are the reason that GK Chesterton is quoted as saying that "fairy tales are more than true, not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be conquered."

This is one of the truest books I have ever read, even though it's fantasy. I have never read a more honest portrayal of human emotion, strengths, weaknesses, failures, and thought processes. What a beautiful story of redemption. I
Jamie
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I may come back and leave a review once I have recovered emotionally. 😉
H.S.J. Williams
*sniff, SNIFF!!!!!* Mememmemmemme....this was soooooo sweet at the end. And...and...I WANT BOOK 5!!!!!!!!!! This CAN'T be the end of the series! There needs to be at least one more book. Or at least a short story. Please, Andrew Peterson, PLEASE!

I distinctly remember hearing about this series some years ago. On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness? North! Or Be Eaten? What outlandish titles! I had no interest whastsoever.

Until I read Gillian Bronte Adam's glowing review.

Until I read the first pa
Carol Bakker
I began reading the first book of the Wingfeather Saga to my local grandkids in January 2017. Yesterday we finished the fourth and final book after a marathon (~5 hours) read aloud session. When I finished a chapter, I'd make eye contact and ask, "Stop or keep going?" and the answer was always a resounding "Keep reading, Nana!"

This series engaged their imaginations in an astonishing fashion. Peterson drops crumbs from many other stories and the kids were quick to pick them up. "Oh! That's like
S.
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tolkien and Lewis can welcome a new member to the ranks of Christian fantasy writers. The eternal echoes of truth that Andrew Peterson is able to bring about through three young children, a retired pirate, a rather tubby librarian, and countless other unlikely heroes will follow in the wake of the Maker's grace. I laugh for joy at the end. ...more
Caroline Lancaster
I finally finished! This is the best book/series I have ever read. I wish I could give this particular book a ten star rating, I loved it so so so much! I highly recommend this book and this series!
Lila Kims
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is magnificent.

There's so much more I could say, so much epicness I could highlight, but I'm not going to try to sort that all out into a coherent review. I'm just going to leave it at MAGNIFICENT and insist that you read this series if you haven't already. Okay? OKAY.

Speaking of "okay," I'm... not.

And one more thing.

Not only do I relate to Janner more than I've ever related to a protagonist before, but he inspires me. He inspires me so much it hurts. Following his journey, and that of
Mariah Mead
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I loved the first one, really loved the next one and really really loved the 3rd and this one was AMAZING! Seriously, this is one of my favorite series now!
Sara
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler Free.

I could not review the third book in the series, Monster in the Hollows, simply because I wasted few minutes between reading it and reading this one. While I have the big picture items clear between the two, the story just flows so much together that I have a hard time separating them for purposes of writing a review.

"Janner's heart somersaulted with shame, embarrassment, envy, frustration at himself, contrition, gratitude, and then more frustration. As soon as he settled on one f
Sally
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual, Andrew has given us a story to ponder for a while.

When I first started the series (Book 1: On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness) I felt a little frustrated wondering whose story he was telling. Was it Janner's Or Tink's? But, as Buechner said, "the story of any one of us is in some measure the story of us all." Janner and Tink/Kalmar have stories that are so intertwined that it really is the story of both. And it's our story, too -- a story of our internal struggles against the dar
Reread 2020: Still very good. I did kind of have to skim through one of the last chapters because I couldn't deal, and the more I think about it, the more that particular scene gives me weird vibes, but still — very good. And the new editions are gorgeous.

---------

I'm probably the last one of my Wingfeather-fan friends to read this book, and now that I finally have read it, I can't help but wonder: why the black-burnt pumpernickel did I wait so long?

The answer comes immediately: because I didn'
Lili P
This is a perfect ending. Like Harry Potter, it was written in a totally different way and was never slow in parts. Everything was how it should be. I cried so hard, which just shows how attached I got.
Dan
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best out of all of them... 4.5 stars!
I thought the ending was good.
Shannon McDermott
The Jewels of Anniera are preparing for war. All the long winter they have been rallying the people of the Green Hollows to go up against Gnag the Nameless, to end his destruction by destroying him.

The Skreeans are preparing for war. All winter Gammon has been leading them in the work, making ready to attack.

And then Gnag beats them to it.

The Warden and the Wolf King is the fourth and final book of the Wingfeather Saga, written by Andrew Peterson. This book, more than any of the others, belongs
Jane
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant ending to a brilliant series. Lots of page-turning. Lots of feels. Lots of laughing. And I'll admit, I almost cried once.

I have so much love for the characters. Leeli's humble music power; Kalmar, struggling within himself; Janner, loyal to the very end of it all. I related to them all because there is truth in every character, a sliver of some struggle that everyone can understand and relate to. It's so good.

And ARTHAMMMM. (no, his name isn't actually spelt with that many 'M's. I go
Lydia Davis
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has such a sad ending. It had my parents CRYING. I have read many good books in my life including nancy drew, Aedyn chronicles, ashtown burials, and redwall. But NONE as good as The Wingfeather Saga.
If you like fantasy and action this is the book for you.
Christie Saunders
Oh my heart! I wept as I finished this book. It spoke of the unexplainable magic written in my soul from what my savior has done for me. It captured the sorrow and joy that this broken world encompasses. It stirred hope and thankfulness in my heart for my true home. I just can't say enough. ...more
Issac
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rick Dobrowolski
Excellent ending to a wonderful series. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this to my daughter. I cried, she didn’t. Such a beautiful storyline. Andrew Peterson is such a wordsmith as well. You will find your mind and heart filled with vivid imagery.

I only have one negative thing to say. The editing wasn’t well done. My daughter and I both caught many typos and mistakes, to the point where it got a little annoying.
Sarah Arwen
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can I give it ten stars? This is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read and wow. This series. Not only the depth and scope of the world of Aerwiar, which is amazing, and the fact that I love all of these dear characters to bits, which would have been enough, but also just the story itself which carries such deep truths of love, redemption, and making the broken things beautiful through so many interconnecting stories over generations and wow. Just wow. It is a masterpiece. Read it. That ...more
Jacob Davis
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, favorites
The most fitting and masterful ending imaginable. Laughs, tears, and many emotions in-between. If Andrew Peterson's Wingfeather Saga wasn't secured as my favorite book series before now (though it probably was), The Warden and the Wolf King has sealed the deal. ...more
Bill
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great ending to an excellent series of books. I knew it would be good, but not this good. Every step to the story makes it deeper and richer in meaning. Please read this and the other books in the series.
Hannah Glass
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-reads
I am neither a fantasy fan nor a regular reader of juvenile fiction, but something about the Wingfeather Saga drew me in and kept hanging onto every word. What I love most about it is the honest depiction of emotions and brokenness that humans of every age experience. Forgiveness, justice, mercy, and sacrificial love are the undercurrent of every storyline. The children are broken, the adults are broken. Yet, love (true, unconditional, sacrificial love) bridges them all. I cried so much through ...more
R.M. Archer
On this momentous day in history, a book legitimately made me sob. AND THEN LEFT ME WONDERING WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED AFTERWARD. THAT IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE WAY TO END THINGS. WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE JUST HAVE TO WONDER FOREVER????

*takes a deep breath* But seriously, this book just got more and more and more and MORE intense and took me through a complete roller coaster of emotions in a way that no other book has ever done. I could relate to it. I genuinely feared for the characters. I sobbed (firs
Isabella Cole
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This series is honestly one of the best things I've read this year. This was a great last book, and although the ending surprised me in every way, it worked really well. Andrew Peterson needs to write another book! I know he says that "The Warden and the Wolf King" is indeed the end of the series, but I still have hope! Read this, you'll thank me later! ...more
Lindsay B
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG!!! This is sort hard to say, but I think this might be a better series than Harry Potter!!! This is definitely my favorite out of the series. The end was very touching, and I highly recommend this series!!
Elizabeth
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the last few chapters while sitting in a field, surrounded by mountains and wildflowers, with no one but a resident groundhog to wonder what I was weeping for.

Words fail me.

Just... an outstanding series.
Lindsey Goetz
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I get it. I understand why people love these books so much.
Amazing story & characters. Beautiful. Already want to reread.

• The Archer's Cup (Green Ember Archer #3)
  • Ember's End (The Green Ember, #4)
  • The Green Ember (The Green Ember, #1)
  • Ember Rising (The Green Ember, #3)
  • Ember Falls (The Green Ember, #2)
  • The Black Star of Kingston (The Green Ember #0.5; Tales of Old Natalia #1)
  • The Bark of the Bog Owl (The Wilderking Trilogy, #1)
  • The Last Archer (Green Ember Archer #1)
  • The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy, #3)
  • The Secret of the Swamp King (The Wilderking Trilogy, #2)
  • The First Fowler (Green Ember Archer #2)
  • The Wreck & Rise of Whitson Mariner (Tales of Old Natalia, #2)
  • The Door on Half-Bald Hill
  • 100 Cupboards  (100 Cupboards, #1)
  • The Fiddler's Gun (Fin's Revolution, #1)
  • The Legend of Sam Miracle (Outlaws of Time, #1)
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers
Hey, folks. If you're just discovering me or any of my work, it can be a little confusing because there are several facets to it. Here’s the rundown:

• I write songs. I also record them to these cool things called CDs and put on concerts around the country. (And beyond! To my great delight, I get to play in Europe every year or so.)

• I write books. I’ve written a four-part fantasy series for young

The Wingfeather Saga (4 books)
  • On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (The Wingfeather Saga, #1)
  • North! or Be Eaten (The Wingfeather Saga, #2)
  • The Monster in the Hollows (The Wingfeather Saga, #3)