Start by marking “Smiles to Go” as Want to Read:
Smiles to Go

Smiles to Go

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  4,431 Ratings  ·  604 Reviews
The author of the Newbery Medal-winning Maniac Magee introduces Will Tuppence, a young man whose world is suddenly tipped on its side. Will soon begins to see that the beauty and wonder of life's journey is in not knowing what comes next.
Published April 29th 2008 by Joanna Cotler Books (first published 2000)

Malbadeen
I always think it's funny when books say "My first....", "My first ABC book", "My first book of rhymes", "my first book of Holiday's",etc. I mean how many "first's" are there before "first" isn't a big deal.
and yet, I think this book could marketed as "My first book of existential crisis" The main character realized protons die and questions the nature of everything while being with others for not recognizing the gravity of things."

I don't necessarily like the idea of introducing the idea of sel
Josiah
Feb 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"And smiles to go before I weep,
And Smiles to go before I weep."

--BT, "Smiles to Go", P. 44

"I feel like I'm playing chess underwater. The pieces keep floating away. I don't know where things are. I can't figure out tomorrow."

--Will Tuppence, "Smiles to Go", P. 140

Simply put, Jerry Spinelli never misses. HE...NEVER...MISSES. The beauty of this story really sneaks up on the reader, but it is as spendidly crafted as just about anything else that has been written. The love scenes are really, t
Kim
It all starts with the death of one proton.

Who knew?

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't what I was hoping for, which was more of what I saw with his 'Stargirl' books.

It's a sweet story with a tidy ending. A good representation of what the young adult book should be.

And I learned the meaning of 'solipsism'. Now to incorporate that in every day life. hmmm... I'm sure I'll find a way.

I did enjoy this part (dealing with the above death of proton)

Two hundred days since 10:15am that September Saturday mo
Emma Randall
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Usually i don't read Jerry Spinelli's books because i think they are childish, but Smiles to go proved me wrong. The author kind of make the beginning of the book so uninteresting, but then it starts to pick up. But other than that, the book is pretty all right.
In the beginning of the book, it talks about how this kid Will Tuppence is interested in protons and science. But the story drags on like the author didn't have anything else to say, until the next chapter comes along.
The story talks abo
Miz Lizzie
Dec 27, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 8-12 year olds
This book did not click with me at all. Actually, I intensely disliked it though I reserve the possibility that there may be some readers who actually enjoy the false sentimentality of the story. The main message seemed to be that teenaged Will needed to see finally understand that his preschool little sister Tabby was not actually a pest but a cute little sister who loves him and whom he really secretly loves in return. Problem is that Tabby was an obnoxiously spoiled and completely out of cont ...more
Evan
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
babyhippoface
It wasn't until about 1/3 of the way into this book that I began to think any teenager would ever read it.

Having grown up believing protons to be an immortal part of the universe, 9th-grade chess whiz and future astronomer Will Tuppence's world is rocked when scientists witness a flash that marked the expiration of a proton. Will is so upset over this that he can barely function for a few days, and is genuinely shocked and surprised that no one else seems to care.

Once he finally accepted the d
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
I'd have to put this title down as one of my favorite Spinelli novels. Will is a real person with a convincing and consistent internal voice. His obsession with planning and attention to minute details reveals a scientific and intellectual mind -- at the same time, he is slightly lacking in the "social intelligence" -- not being able to read the cues of his peers and more damagingly, not being able to decipher his little sister's actions as cries for attention in a somewhat positive way. Now... ...more
Harmony Wooden
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Smiles to go by Jerry Spinelli was in my opinion a very good book. The main character Will Tuppence is in 9th grade about to go into 10th. Will's two best friends are named BT. BT is a laid back kind of guy which is the complete oposite of Will. Will has a little sister named Tabitha Tuppence and he dispises her in every way. Tabitha looks up to BT and whatever he does she will follow. One day BT goes down a skateboarding hill called dead mans hill. It is the most dangerous and scary hill any on ...more
Ryan
Apr 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a nerd.

And yet as I read this book, I couldn't help but think, "Whoa. This kid's a real nerd. Like Percy." While not my favorite of Spinelli's books, definitely a reminder of why he is such a good author.

***SPOILER***First, I like to think that the relationship aspects of this story happen with 16 y/o, not high school freshmen. And second, I don't like that they have cell phones. But third, is a real plot point: Mi-Su struck me as unrealistic because although she is popular, she doesn't see
Protons 1 3 Mar 15, 2015 12:42PM
  • Replay
  • The Humming of Numbers
  • Shooting the Moon
  • Diamonds in the Shadow
When Jerry Spinelli was a kid, he wanted to grow up to be either a cowboy or a baseball player. Lucky for us he became a writer instead.

He grew up in rural Pennsylvania and went to college at Gettysburg College and Johns Hopkins University. He has published more than 25 books and has six children and 16 grandchildren.
Jerry Spinelli began writing when he was 16 — not much older than the hero of his
More about Jerry Spinelli...
“I feel like I'm playing chess underwater. The pieces keep floating away. I don't know where things are. I can't figure out tomorrow.” 25 likes
“And smiles to go before I weep,
And Smiles to go before I weep.”
22 likes