Start by marking “Christine ” as Want to Read:
Christine

Christine

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  174,137 ratings  ·  2,673 reviews
Just Another Lovers’ Triangle, Right?

It was love at first sight. From the moment seventeen-year-old Arnie Cunningham saw Christine, he knew he would do anything to possess her.

Arnie’s best friend, Dennis, distrusts her—immediately.

Arnie’s teen-queen girlfriend, Leigh, fears her the moment she senses her power.

Arnie’s parents, teachers, and enemies soon learn what happe
Published September 7th 2004 by Signet (first published April 29th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Christine, please sign up.
Jam Sinclair Pet Sematary, Duma Key, The Talisman, Four Past Midnight :)
Eric I read "Christine" when I was 14. The book came out less than a year earlier.

When I was in eighth grade, reading this book was a rite of passage for…more
I read "Christine" when I was 14. The book came out less than a year earlier.

When I was in eighth grade, reading this book was a rite of passage for boys though a few girls in our school read it, too. And if you saw the film, then it was a bonus.

Still remember kids in middle school and high school reading and passing around King's books like "The Shining" and "Pet Sematary" to read. Sure beats being stuck in front of the TV if you ask me!(less)

·  174,137 ratings  ·  2,673 reviews

Kerstin
Jul 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a real guilty-pleasure, love/love realtionship with Stephen King books. I don't care how literarily unhip that is. Christine was the first big-girl book I ever read--I was in the fourth grade and we'd just moved to California. I didn't have any friends or anywhere to go yet, so I spent my days poking around in the library, like any good nerd. I'd heard somewhere that Stephen King books contained scandalous curse words, so I picked it out of the library's King collection because the title ...more
Joe Valdez
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fans of the Netflix series Stranger Things who might be unaware of how freely the creators sampled '80s pop culture--right down to the title font--need look no further than three novels by Stephen King: one I've read (Firestarter), one I'm reading this month (It) and one I'll review now. Published in 1983--the same year that Stranger Things takes place--Christine is an often haunting and at times bittersweet tale about growing up; specifically, that time when adulthood threatens to detour cheris ...more
Carol
3.5 Stars.

BIG fan of Stephen King, but not so much of CHRISTINE. Reading a 700+ page book....especially one written by SK usually does not bother me in the least, but CHRISTINE was just too long....too wordy....was expecting more wicked deeds than the movie.

The storyline IS creepy good with a possessed red 1958 Plymouth Fury....her deadlights and "moldering stench"....on the prowl seeking justice from anyone who dislikes her....so best stay out of her way.

Besides a feared CHRISTINE, there's a gr

Kemper
You never forget your first time, and the memories of my initial encounter with Stephen King when he lured me into the back of a 1958 Plymouth Fury and had his way with me are still clear over 30 years later.

For the record, he wasn’t gentle.

I was a wee lad of 13 when this came out, and Stephen King had established his reputation as America’s boogeyman after his breakout in the ‘70s. I wasn’t much of a horror fan and despite my increasing reading of ‘grown-up’ fiction had no interest in the King
Jeff
Stephen King has sure gotten some mileage out of this whole “possessed-by-evil” thing. Or maybe it’s the fact that I’ve read The Shining this year wherein an abusive drunk is taken over by the Evil that is a hotel and it just seems that way.

Anyway back to my original misbegotten and flawed theme: Evil’s out there and according to Stephen King it’s very possessive.

In this book, of course, you’re dealing with a car, but not just any car – a car that’s been possessed by Evil. King kind of loses th
James Trevino
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christine is Stephen King at his best. I am not kidding: it is my favorite book of his (Dark Tower fans, be gentle)....

Christine is an old Plymouth that Arnie Cunningham decides to buy and repair. He gradually gets 'in love' with his car, and, as Christine is repaired, Arnie also changes, becoming darker and taking on some personality traits of Christine's former owner, Roland LeBay.

The book's other main character is Dennis, Arnie's friend, who witness all these changes. Now the story may sounds
Dirk Grobbelaar
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, horror
If I admitted that I probably enjoyed this more than The Shining – would that amount to sacrilege?

Good Review vs Evil Review

Good Review
There isn’t much I didn’t particularly enjoy about the novel, except perhaps for one or two pacing issues. Then again, the book is only about 500 pages, which is a lot less than some of those other King books. It is incredibly creepy at times, which I found surprising, since the idea of a “haunted car” might seem a bit, well, corny. It’s everything but. In fac
Horace Derwent
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

wait a sec, what in the actual-y ass!
Lyn
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I once saw a comedian who said something to the effect that Led Zeppelin could sing “Mary had a little lamb” and make it feel dark and evil and threatening. Then with a passable imitation of Robert Plant he went on to sing the children’s song but in the fashion of a 70s metal band. Funny.

So too, can Stephen King tell us about a haunted car and have what would seem to be an absurd notion come alive with terror and dark menace. Remember Cujo, his 1981 novel about a rabid dog who terrorizes a town?
Milica
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Razmišljala sam da li da posle svega dam 5 stars, jer kraj nije bio...zadovoljavajući. Msm da je problem u tome što sam se vremenom pretvorila u "razmaženog" čitaoca, pa sam htela da kraj bude baš onakav kakav ja mislim da bi trebalo -srećan. Ipak, kad malo bolje razmislim, ovakav zaplet i mučno mračna priča o posednutosti, nikako nije mogla da se završi potpuno srećnim krajem.
Da stvar bude još teža, King je na kraju kroz prolog, ostavio i neku vrstu "klifhengera", pa čitalac nekako ostane nezad
Jason P
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My re-telling of the story "Christine" to my sixty-five year old immigrant mother, enjoy:

Me: "Mom?....are you listening? The story is about a haunted car"

Mom: "a what?"

Me: "a car, mom - the story is about a haunted, evil car that can drive by itself, and it kills people. Because it's haunted."

Mom: "a car can't do that...tell me a car can do that! You'd be lying."

Me: "No, mom, I know a car can't do that, but this one can, and its killed a ton of people already. There's these two main characters,
Dan Schwent
May 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2013
Misfit Arnie Cunningham buys a 1958 Plymouth Fury named Christine and it's love at first sight. As he fixes the car and his obsession with it grows, his life spins out of control.

11/5/2013 I'm putting Christine in park for now since it's not revving my engine. It's as slow as a Plymouth Fury with the emergency brake on. Hopefully I'll pick it back up in a few weeks and it'll get my motor running.
Trish
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of Christine, a custom-painted red and white 1958 Plymouth Fury. You'd think that the story about a car didn't warrant a novel of a whopping 529 pages or that at the very least it would be boring and bloated. But this is Stephen King.

Arnie, an acne-ridden teenage outsider, one day sees a car and it is love at first sight. Despite the financial burden, despite his parents' and friend's protests, he buys the car off the grumpy owner and starts working on her it. Slowly but surely
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2018-shelf, ya
If re-reading it now, by today's lens, one thing has become utterly clear.

Christine is a YA novel.

I mean, sure, Talisman and parts of the Shining are, too, but this is a bonafide Young Adult territory. We have High School outcasts, a huge page count of sporting events, first love, and standing up to be your own person against what your parents think right.

Yes. Rebellion, jealousy, and an ancient evil possession made up of pure wrath.

In other words, another average YA novel.

Vrrrooom. Vrrroooooo
Niki
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, enough is enough. I've been putting off writing reviews for months, just because I prefer it when they're huge and well-thought out, with quotes, clear arguments for and against, and everything. Turns out though, I procrastinate like crazy when it comes to writing these, because "they need to be perfect"? Yeah, that's cancelled. I haven't been very active on here for ages, and that changes now.

So, about Christine.

The book started out beautifully. It had the right amount of foreshadowing an
Dani Rose
Thought I would hate this because the antagonist is a car. I thought it would be one of the weaker King novels but it was wonderful and I really liked it. You get so lost in the well written characters and setting.
Cristina
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad that Dennis is alive! This book was full of surprises, but I liked Christine. A serial killer in shape of a car. Genius!
Justin
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better Stephen King books I've read in a while. I read this right after reading Salem's Lot and noticed a similar formula in King's writing. Like Salem's Lot, the first half of the book is devoted to character development and drawing you into the setting. There are some dark elements mixed in early on to keep you interested, and then the second half of the book really takes off and things go crazy.

This time we're in Libertyville, PA (which is an awesome name for a fictional town). Ag
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, horror
A personal favorite of mine, partly because I'm a classic car buff. However, I still feel like CHRISTINE is one of King's strongest books. Great characters and plot here, as well as very frightening imagery. I love this book.
Edward Lorn
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, I'm a King fanboy, but I'm a little different from other fanboys. Here's what I think: When King's good, he's the best in the business. When he sucks, he's still readable, but it pisses me the fuck off because I know what he's capable of. Being readable even when he's off his game is how he's maintained my fandom while Koontz and Saul eventually lost my monetary involvement. I will still read the latter, but only through NetGallery and library borrows. With every King release, I purch ...more
Stefan Yates
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
Christine is not one of Stephen King's greatest works by any means, but it is still a good story with moments of real suspense and terror. I feel that one of King's biggest short-comings with this novel was having the tale told by a future Dennis. To me, this takes away a lot of suspense from some of the most tense scenes in the book because the reader is being told the tale by a character who is involved in a near-death experience, therefore revealing that the narrator survived his experience. ...more
Ashley Daviau
I think this is probably my least favourite King book I’ve read so far. It’s my first time reading it and I found it so slow going. It took forever me to get into it and I felt like it was just dragging on and on. The idea was so promising but I thought it lacked a lot of King’s usual OOMPH for me. I felt zero connection to any of the characters, they felt flat and two dimensional to me. And that makes it hard for me to enjoy a book because me connecting to characters is very important to my enj ...more
Becky
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is one of the few King stories that I had never read. I don't know why I'd never read it, but it just seemed to me like reading about a car wasn't really my thing. I'm not a car girl. I drive one, but I don't dream about them, or get excited by them. I guess I was afraid that this book would be a few hundred pages of specs and details and owner's manual stuff, mixed in with a maniacal car tormenting stupid car-kids that would annoy me rather than making me hope they make it to the last page ...more
Sara
Dec 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished this book last night. This was my first real attempt at a Stephen King novel. The Mist had me warmed up to King and I figured I'd snag an other good ol' book of his from my library. Unlike the mist, this finally had an ending (which I'm glad about because after over 500 pages, I would have screamed if it left it with no closure). Sure, it wasn't exactly the happiest and there were still a few things left open ended but it was sufficient. My only question now is:
Does Stephen King have ra
Robert Parsons
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about an evil car. Stephen King explorers the relationship between a man and his vehicle. Normally this involves a few cans of polish, a camera and plenty of bragging about your pride and joy. The problem is "Christine" is so much more than a car. This is a car with attitude and supernatural powers.
It is a car to love until the car kills everyone you know and appears virtually indestructible.
After reading Herby, Christine was quite a shock. Poor old Herby would be quivering in hi
Stephen Robert Collins
This for me is my favourite early King & one of few stand out stories about 1950s car like Cujo or Pet Cemetery this special.
A vintage book about a vintage car this has rock n roll theme with a subject that is impossible yet it's fantastic
John Carpenter did great movie of the book & unlike lot of movies did not spoil the book maybe that has helped me with memory of this book but at 24ys old this was book I loved
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Finally have read this one. Great book - it almost completely follows the movie but there is a major difference to be had. While the events are the same basically, the story behind it is altered majorly. I was a bit peeved about Dennis and Leigh, and it was odd with King's point of view -- for the first 200 pages or so he told the story through first-person (Dennis, the friend.) Suddenly, he switches to multiple viewpoints until page 350 or so. Then he stays in first person, Dennis only, for the ...more
David
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
OH MY GODS! What a f*cking treat! I totally loved this book. I cannot remember why I passed it over way back when. I was on-board the King express from THE SHINING and forward, reading every release. Even buying the hardbacks, which was an unbelievable treat in my boyhood home.

What a special pleasure to have hidden away from myself. An early King masterpiece. I'd forgotten that he could be this good! It's made me re-evalutate King. I have to re-read his early works that I loved so. And I've got
Marie
Second time was just as good as the first time. I had forgotten some stuff in the book as I hadn't read it for years, so it was really cool to re-read it.
F.R.
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
CHRISTINE was always a book that intrigued me. When I was young a hardback copy sat prominently on the bookshelves of my Grandma’s bedroom. It had a bright, angry looking Plymouth Fury on the cover and I can remember being fascinated by it. Yet, when I started reading Stephen King novels myself it wasn’t one I picked it up. Indeed, it’s the only major novel of his imperial phase that I hadn’t read.

Why was that?

Undoubtedly it’s because I don’t have that big an interest in cars. Yes, I come from t
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Roadwork
  • Lord of the Flies
  • A Bolt from the Blue and Other Essays
  • Night Visions 5
  • In the Flesh (Books of Blood #5)
  • Twilight Eyes
  • Novels, 1930-1942: Dance Night / Come Back to Sorrento / Turn, Magic Wheel / Angels on Toast / A Time to Be Born
  • Brain Child
  • Brigadoon (Vocal Score)
  • The Fall of the Athenian Empire
  • Extravagance
“I think part of being a parent is trying to kill your kids.” 208 likes
“If being a kid is about learning how to live, then being a grown-up is about learning how to die.” 22 likes