Start by marking “Black Widow, Volume 2: The Tightly Tangled Web” as Want to Read:
Black Widow, Volume 2: The Tightly Tangled Web

Black Widow, Volume 2: The Tightly Tangled Web

(Black Widow (2014) #2)

On a snowy night in Prague, Black Widow must fight her way out of disaster alongside the Winter Soldier! And as Isaiah’s London business turns complicated, Natasha finds herself fighting against — or alongside? — the Punisher for access to a deadly criminal network. But trapped on an exploding oil rig with Crossbones and his Skull Squad, will Frank and Natasha complete the ...more
Paperback, Trade, 160 pages
Published February 3rd 2015 by Marvel (first published January 20th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Black Widow, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Widow, Volume 2

Jeff
Jul 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
The dichotomy that is the Black Widow.

She’s a member of the Avengers, yet she prefers to work alone.

She’s an assassin, yet the Avengers frown upon killing.

She takes a certain amount of pleasure in killing a bad guy, yet she carries a huge weight of guilt around with her from her past.

Edmundson does a better job in this volume showing the Yin and Yang of Natasha’s inner struggle, but the plot strands can get murky. Edmundson throws in a bunch of guest stars: Punisher, Daredevil, Hawkeye, X-23, th
Anne
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
I feel the same way about this one as I did the first volume.
It's ok.
Some of the story was really interesting, like Natasha teaming up with X-23 to save her friend/lawyer...

description

And I liked the Anderson Cooper stuff, even though it was obviously just a gimmick, and (in all likelihood) wouldn't have even made it on the air in a real-life situation.

description

But other than that? Meh.
I would love to see some sort of personality emerge from this character. I get that she's a lone wolf/killer/assassin/super-spy ki
Kate (GirlReading)
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was so good! I have to say, I definitely think I preferred it to The Finely Woven Thread! The storyline didn't feel *quite* as disorderly as it did in volume one, (although I still wish it wasn't all so disjointed, as it can definitely be hard to follow at times!)

I loved all the cameo's (hello Bucky, Spider-Man, Tony Stark AND Hawkeye?!?!) it was so much fun to see them integrated into Black Widow's story. I do wish there was more explanation - or I knew more - about the back stories betwe
ellie ♡
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads, own-read
5 | wow...a cameo from my two true loves; bucky barnes and frank castle? automatic 5 stars. absolutely loved this installment and i am so very much eagerly waiting to go buy the last one!
Sesana
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
My God, this is a beautiful book. I absolutely love the art. The muted paintings is an unusual choice for an action-heavy book like this, but I just love the way they look. This is definitely a book that will, visually, stand out from the crowd.

I have mixed feelings about the story, though. The missions can be cool, but they also tend to be disjointed. And although watching Natasha spiral downwards is interesting, to watch, I'm not sure I buy all of it. (view spoiler)
Sam Quixote
May 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Minor spoilers ahead, I guess, so… yeah!

When she’s not avenging, Natasha Romanoff aka Black Widow is still doing missions on the side for money to pay off her conscience for the bad things she did way back when - but this second volume shows Nathan Edmondson’s already run this idea into the ground.

The missions themselves are largely unvaried: Natasha finds a target to protect or kill, faceless guards with guns shoot at her, she escapes – repeat. As if to make up for the lack of interest in the m
Scott S.
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I lightly harped on Volume 1 for being sort of stodgy, and it seems like in response (I'm going with another TV series analogy like in the first review) to make things interesting that BW's The Tightly Tangled Web went The Love Boat route - give 'em GUEST STARS! I'm talking Daredevil, Bucky 'Winter Soldier' Barnes, The Punisher, and - wait for it - Anderson Cooper (?!). Despite my questionable humor, this volume showed marginal improvement and had good action scenes.
Steve
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just a little below 4.5 stars.

I was a bit disappointed with this volume. There was plenty of action, but I’m not seeing the grand plan of the (hidden) antagonist. I'm still not sure just who is pulling the strings behind the scenes. There are hints, but I don’t really know.

The best part of this volume was in seeing Black Widow team up with some stone-cold killers, with former flame Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier making a surprise appearance, Frank Castle/Punisher in a perfectly timed appearance, an
Chantaal
Finally caught up on this series. The story is much more dynamic in this volume, and a hell of a lot more interesting in hindsight now that (view spoiler) but I don't buy the reason she did at the end of this volume. I mean, Anderson Cooper? With all that hearsay he-said she-said bullshit 'reporting'? Don't buy it.

(view spoiler)
Shalini Sinha
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Art
The art of this series is just exquisite and gorgeous - definitely one of the best I've ever seen in graphic novels. In fact, in my opinion, it even transcends the vibrant artwork of Black Panther series by Ta-Nehisi Coates in terms of intricate details and that how realistically beautiful the design is.

Narration
I love the way narration unfolds, initially the exposition at a slow pace and suddenly escalates during the sequence of action scenes, this blend made it more engaging and noteworthy
Cora Tea Party Princess
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 Words: Comic, Avengers, isolation, strength, danger.

CLIFFHAGER!

Noooo!

And there's ages to go until the next volume :(

I love Black Widow and this is by far the best arc I've read. It's amazing. Noto's art is exquisite and Edmondson writes her perfectly.

You meet a whole host of other characters in this volume, and I have to admit I was a little thrown by X-23 (who I'm checking out next, she's as kick-ass as Nat) but oh my god. Awesome. Amazing.

I quite liked The Punisher #9 suck in there too, seei
David
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Angry girls with claws, chicks who get told to chill by the Punisher
Continuing Black Widow's mission to uncover who is behind the mysterious organization known as Chaos, this volume was a bit more interesting than the first, but more because of all the Marvel guest stars than because of the Widow herself.

This storyline is bloodier than most Marvel books, as Natasha and most of her allies do not display the reticence about killing that superheroes usually do in mainstream titles. Well, she doesn't kill as casually as, say, the Punisher (who makes a crossover appe
Pyry
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
phil noto drawing natasha's zipper all the way up is what gives me life.
Talia Smart
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Phil Noto's art: 10/10 always.
Nathan Edmondson's writing: ehh. ok.
Branwen *of House Targaryen*
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, comics
Absolutely one of the BEST Black Widow comics I have ever read, especially in terms of artwork. Loved this to pieces! <3
Pamela
Either I'm feeling more generous, or this actually was slightly better than the first trade volume of Black Widow. But it certainly wasn't great, and I'm not sure that it was even good.

However, Phil Noto's artwork is absolutely marvelous. It's what kept me reading. First and foremost, he gives us a Natasha who is strong but not objectified. Her body is solid with muscle. She is no wasp-waisted, tee-hee-look-at-me-in-my-sexy-army-gear comic girl. Natasha will kill you. Make no mistake.

I also lea
Joseph
Dec 18, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a little better than the previous volume, story wise. Natasha is chasing a secret but can't figure out the clues. Meanwhile, lots of guest stars, such Punisher, X-23, and Daredevil, and the great art of Phil Noto. The Widow is still kinda morally murky, but with her problems, I'd rather have my own, thanks.
Tracey
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was an orgy of awesomeness. You get Daredevil, the Punisher, Iron Man, Spider-Man, and Anderson Cooper?! My heart was full with delight. I wish I had the next book already. The story is just getting good.
Jaci
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Oh all the great appearances! You get to see Daredevil, Hawkeye, Tony Stark and a very very very badass Black Widow!! <3
As said before I love the artwork. The color choice is always so fitting for the story and the overall picture is really beautiful to look at.
sassafrass
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fab-heroines
BUCKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Kerstin
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Umm could you please finally make a Black Widow movie @ Marvel?
Lydia
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is what I wanted the first volume to be.

Phil Noto's artwork is still visually stunning. I love everything from the red in Natasha's hair to the way he draws the rain. I love the palettes and how I reread each page just to look at the art again. I loved seeing so many people from Natasha's past -- I won't ruin who features, because part of the joy of my reading experience was discovering who was going to help her next.

The last few lines of this graphic novel really won it for me. Finally,
Clara
Apr 20, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 stars, rounded up because no matter how many problems I have with this, it's still Black Widow.

My main problem is that I had no real idea of what was going on. It just seemed like it jumped around so much that just when I thought I had a handle on what was happening, everything changed. Only a few things really seemed to connect, so I'm hoping the next volume will build on that so I can enjoy it some more.
The Sapphic Nerd
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
This would be a decent follow-up to volume one, except that there are far too many guest appearances that don't serve any purpose, and end up making Black Widow look/feel less than herself. Daredevil is there at the beginning and he's completely useless except to make Natasha feel bad about herself like a jackass, and make her doubt her moral compass. Like he's so perfect and has the right to be self-righteous?

The Winter Soldier teams up with Black Widow for a bit, and even though I haven't read
Caitlin
Apr 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Still not great, but some pretty fun cameos.

I think part of my problem with this series is that I desperately want it to be Velvet and it's not. I want Brubaker writing a Black Widow story because I just don't think Edmondson is good enough at that kind of suspenseful spy story. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad. It does a good job portraying the dark and light sides of Widow. It's just...she doesn't feel like anything except a femme fatale cardboard cutout. I've liked Black Widow in the past be
Gianfranco Mancini

Storyline: 2 stars.
Artwork: 4 stars.

Noto's art is far better than the storyline and this volume is almost a long list of "Marvel team-ups" and a parade of former Natasha's lovers... Daredevil, Winter Soldier, Hawkeye, even Spider-Man in an old issue of Marvel Team Up..

The crossover with the Punisher and the X-23 issue are my most favourite parts of this volume.

Good ending but the missions seemed almost all the same to me and the spy-story flat and not so much interesting.
Not too bad, but it coul
Ran
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Well, the art continues to be fantastic, but the story definitely dips with the appearance of Daredevil. Such a wet blanket, really. But then you know, Winter Soldier drops through the train hatch. "I work better alone," is just a little over the top, Nat. We get it. But my Crossbones-or-Punisher detector broke in this volume.

Marvel Math
-1 for DD
+1 for Winter Soldier
-2 for Punisher and/or Crossbones
+1 for Hawk-guy, even if he's an "Avenger first"
+2 for Anderson Cooper cameo

Enemies, enemies eve
Becky
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Phil Noto is like unto a god. I seriously love his art.

And I adore this run. I love all the cameos, and I love how despite all these other people coming and going, it's still so much about Natasha. I really like Edmondson's writing. He didn't get Laura's speech patterns, but he got like... the spirit of her, if that makes sense?
But I am SO STRESSED about how #12 ended! I am angry! And stressed! AAAAARG!!!
Sonic
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
While I may have no complaints about Scar-Jo as the Black Widow in the Marvel films,
I must say it is so refreshing to see this character as more than a 1-dimensional femme fatale.
Here we are treated to a real character
wonderfully brought to life with Noto's superb painterly illustration,
and Edmonson's mature, nuanced writing.
Good stuff!
Christopher
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lean and economical in that it tells a story/ stories without drawing it out. Lets the art have lure impact that way, I think. You don't need Black Widow to have a 6-part arc every time you tell her story. Such a solid series.
  • Hawkeye, Volume 3: L.A. Woman
  • She-Hulk, Volume 2: Disorderly Conduct
  • Black Widow, Volume 1: S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Most Wanted
  • Winter Soldier: The Bitter March
  • Secret Avengers, Volume 1: Let's Have a Problem
Comic book and screenwriter Nathan Edmondson is a native of Augusta, GA. His Eisner-nominated book Who Is Jake Ellis? will soon be a major motion picture from 20th Century Fox, and The Activity film will come soon from Paramount Pictures. NPR has listed his work among the “Top 6 Comics to Draw You In” and USA Today and CNN are among those who have listed him in their Top 10 lists.

Nathan currently

Black Widow (2014) (3 books)
  • Black Widow, Volume 1: The Finely Woven Thread