Start by marking “Making It Right: Product Management For A Startup World” as Want to Read:
Making It Right: Product Management For A Startup World

Making It Right: Product Management For A Startup World

Product management is one of the most exhausting, exhilarating, stressful, and rewarding careers out there. It’s not for the faint of heart. It’s for people who want to move mountains. It swallows some whole, but others derive endless invigoration and passion from the pace and the impact and the glory and the huge potential for failure as well as success. There’s no other ...more
Published July 21st 2014 by Smashing Magazine

To ask other readers questions about Making It Right, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making It Right

Curtismchale
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
What does it take to get a product right? Not only when you’re the sole developer/designer/mind behind it, but when you’ve been hired or need to hire someone to manage the product because it’s simply bigger than you can run.

What if you have many products and need to have them all run well?

That’s where a product manager comes in to play, and this book is all about what it takes to be a good product manager.

It starts by walking us through the personality traits and demeanour that should be in evid
Kerry-Anne Gilowey
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: content-strategy
The thing that struck me immediately was the way the book STARTS OUT by focusing on the character traits and people skills that a PM needs. Usually these skills are treated as an afterthought in books like this, if they're even dealt with at all. Rian continues to highlight the importance of these skills throughout the book, in a practical, useful way.

The book is an easy read, but by no means simplistic. It's written in a conversational style, and really, it feels a whole lot like having a mento
Volkan
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Overall, the material is a bit derivative and repeats what has been said better elsewhere, but the author knows his reader, who is a T-shaped person that wants to be an I-shaped person, which is a great description of the product-people. The material felt fresh and urgent to me, not academic or technical –– "here is a framework you can use!" Instead, Van Der Merwe blends personal anecdotes with the oft-told tales of products years past and comes up with compelling insights about the right attitu ...more
Rasha
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great book to quickly go over what's expected of a product manager, what goes into their work, their responsibilities and the expected documents they need to write. Lists different opinions from different people on some methodologies and tools used in the process of defining, planning and executing on the plan to build a product including the author's opinion and what he thinks based on his experience. The case studies are easy to digest and state clear action items they did while working with ...more
Eyana
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great starting book for budding product managers in the technology industry. Provides useful background and practical framework for basic product management.

Follows the renowed product-market fit principle. Considers the users, revenue-generating, and technology aspects of a product. Leans toward practical over innovative products.

Recommended as a primer, but reader has to avail of supplementary materials and related books for in-depth knowledge. Best juxtaposed with Peter Thiel's Zero to One
Kristin
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous book. It gives a very clear and concise message about what it is, what it REALLY is to be a Product Manager. There was no fluff talk, no boring things that didn't matter just pure good content. It's a great book that I'll probably read again because I didn't get to read all of the links yet and I probably should take some notes. As a Designer who has worked with Project Managers and Developers etc. it all made a lot of sense to me. Thanks Rian for writing an awesome book!
Jarkko Laine
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book from the point of view of a startup founder wearing many hats (developer, entrepreneur, but maybe most importantly, product owner).

While many of the tips in the book are clearly aimed at larger organizations than our three-man team, I gained insight and some good reminders on how to make sure we build the right product and make it great.
Liz Shrafman
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a brief volume but I savored every page - highlighting and taking notes. PMs in the industry say this is their bible, and I'm fairly sure it will become mine as I begin a new career in product management. The author's practical, down-to-earth approach strips away most "approaches" that require special training courses and certifications. This is just the best, most essential stuff.
Mateus Pinheiro
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Indeed a nice and focused book, with very specific ways you can become (or improve) a product manager. It have nice examples and techniques that can get you started, and a very nice last chapter that gives you a recipe for you first 90 days as a product manager.
Robbie Manson
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not only a great start-from-scratch guide to product management, but full of enough personal insights and practical advice to provide value for those already familiar with the role. Highly recommended.
Mathias Meyer
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mngmnt
This is a pretty good overview of what a product manager does and how they can work with the rest of the company
Jared Gulian
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is like Product Management 101. Very useful. Offers a good overview of what a product manager does and how they should do it.
Matthew Stublefield
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A boon and comfort to the accidental product manager

I have recently found myself in a PM role without really knowing what I need to be doing. This book was recommended by a colleague and I found it to be an excellent primer. The resources cited in end notes are helpful, and the book itself is clear and just the right length. By halfway through, I had learned where there was overlap between my existing skill set and what I needed to start doing, and I had identified what I needed to learn to beco
Jessica
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Good nuggets, but fairly lightweight

It's a great book for a high-level overview of the product management process, with a few good nuggets and reminders for seasoned product managers.

Though the boom focuses very specifically on build web experiences, which, while not bad, takes a very narrow view on product management as a whole.

Overall, it's a well-written book that's great to skim, but won't go into too much detail.
Tamara Miner
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lot of great processes, tools, and advice in this book (though quite a bit is obvious or a no brainer if you’ve been a PM for a while). One thing repeated in the book is that you don’t need to do ALL of it - just what makes sense for your team and product. It’s easy to lose sight of that and want to do it all anyway. Overall, I wish I read this earlier in my career, and I will probably read it again or at least use it as a reference for some of the ideas/exercises. Good stuff.
Truong Binh
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good book about product strategy and development
Tobias Zimmergren
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great insights

Great insights and a good way to ramp up the thought process around Product Management. Worth the read for sure!
Victor Delgado
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paperplanes
Great blueprint to create a product management role at your company.
Mylene
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book. Pity it was advised as being for "product owners", and in that respect it didn't add too much to my knowledge.
Edgar Alejandro Anzaldúa Moreno
Good book

Good book for those wanting to move from UX to product management. Some of the things the author mentions seem to be opinions rather than documented observations. But generally speaking good book.
Richard
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading

Great overview of Product Management, taking you through the process from start to finish. Relevant to all industries and across consumer and enterprise products.
Simon Burns
Aug 05, 2014
Max Sklar
May 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Product Design for the Web: Principles of Designing and Releasing Web Products
  • Escape Velocity: Free Your Company's Future from the Pull of the Past
  • Living with Complexity
  • Content Strategy at Work: Real-world Stories to Strengthen Every Interactive Project
  • Power and Influence
  • Adaptive Web Design: Crafting Rich Experiences with Progressive Enhancement
  • Subject To Change: Creating Great Products & Services for an Uncertain World
  • User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“What’s the use of fast iteration if all it does is get us to a suboptimal solution more quickly,” 1 likes
“Mike Monteiro takes on this issue by attacking the humble calendar in “The Chokehold of Calendars2”: Meetings may be toxic, but calendars are the superfund sites that allow that toxicity to thrive. All calendars suck. And they all suck in the same way. Calendars are a record of interruptions. And quite often they’re a battlefield over who owns whose time.” 0 likes