Start by marking “Racing for the Sun” as Want to Read:

Racing for the Sun

(Racing for the Sun #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,468 ratings  ·  220 reviews
8 hrs 32 min

"I'll do anything." Staff Sergeant Jasper "Ace" Atchison takes one look at Private Sonny Daye and knows that every word on paper about him is pure, unadulterated bullshit. But Sonny is desperate, and although Ace isn't going to take him up on his offer of "anything", that doesn't mean he isn't tempted.

Instead, Ace takes Sonny under his wing, protecting him when
Audible Audio, 9 pages
Published July 23rd 2014 by Dreamspinner Press LLC (first published April 25th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Racing for the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Racing for the Sun

really liked it 4.00  ·

Gigi
Re-read November 2015: Loved it all over again!

I'LL DO ANYTHING

As you can tell from the fact that this book is on my favorites shelf, I absolutely adored this book. Put a gun to my head and tell me to name my top 5 favorite M/M romance/angst books, they would now be Point of No Return, Laurel Heights, Collision Course, Strength of the Pack, and Racing for the Sun. It was that good. But I fear hyping this book to the point of leaving GoodReads friends under whelmed. Me really connecting emotion
Lauraadriana
I’m just going to let Pablo Neruda get me going here and sum up Sonny and Ace and what they had…“I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you simply, without problems or pride: I love you in this way because I do not know any other way of loving but this, in which there is no I or you, so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand, so intimate that when I fall asleep your eyes close.”

That was Sonny and Ace this thing, this love that almost could not be explained, jus
DW
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It looks like I am one of the few here that did not like this couple. I tried for Ace. I really did but I was not a Sonny fan.

Ace won me over from the beginning. His number one concern was Sonny from the beginning. He did everything for Sonny to prove his devotion and love. There was no more that he could do to prove it. Ace had a big heart for others. I loved the way he protected Sonny while they were in the army and kept his promises even after they were both out of the army.

Sonny was okay wh
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

**2.5 stars**

4 stars for the narration, 2 stars for the story... This is a totally bananas review because I'm a HUGE Amy Lane fan and everyone else loves this book. I'm so bummed right now.

On paper, this is an Amy Lane book that I would adore. I love her angsty, saga-ish stories (The Locker Room, Chase in Shadow), and with a whopping 22 Amy Lane books under my belt, I can safely say that I know my type. However, this book was all sorts of wrong for me.

I'm just going to come out and admit it: I
Simone
***4 Stars for the audiobook***
***2 Stars for the story***

Gosh! The rating for this book almost gave me a sleepless night. I'm sorry to say that I didn't really like it
Bildergebnis für sad puppy gif

and it confirmed once more that Amy Lane remains a mixed bag for me. I already wonder if the Fish out of Water Series will be the only series by her that I love...

Sonny's past was heartbreaking, but he was too cray-cray for me and desperately needed therapy, IMO. I get that his behavior stems from the things he went throug
Lyn
Audio – 3 stars. I’ve listened to Nick J. Russo before and loved his performance. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case with this book. He has a great voice, and he did an excellent job with the accents, but there wasn’t enough emotion injected in his performance.

Story – 4 stars

Because of the mixed reviews from my GR friends, I had reservations about reading this book. But Ace and Sonny kept coming up in the Fish Out of Water series, so I gave in and went for it. Even though I wasn’t so crazy abou
Line
*ugh* Amy Lane, you're killing me!
I ended up with this book, because the MCs are mentioned in her Red Fish, Dead Fish-series. And I am really happy I did end up here, but when Amy goes dark, she goes FUCKING DARK!
*sigh* Sonny has been sold and mistreated and just generally lived like an abused dog, and it is NOT fun to read, but it paints such a (heartbreaking), full picture of Sonny and his actions, especially in regards to Ace, making his (crazy) actions clearer.

Sonny IS sort of crazy, but in
Kaje Harper
This is classic Amy Lane in her darker stories, with two men whose backgrounds are painful and who hold each other against the darkness. Sergeant "Ace" Atchison meets Private Sonny Daye in the military, and is immediately certain that Sonny is escaping from something in his past by enlisting. But he's not the first or last eighteen-year-old to do so, and he awakens Ace's protective instincts. Ace looks out for Sonny as they serve, protects and guards him, and comes to find the most meaning he's ...more
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
This book is a perfect example of a book written by an author whose craft has evolved and become more elegant, smooth, and almost painfully gorgeous.

Sonny and Ace's story. What can I say about it? I could talk about the plot. I could talk about how Sonny is an eighteen year old new recruit running from something that I knew had to worse than the worst thing I could think of. I could talk about how Ace takes Sonny under his wing and helps him survive, and then later helps make Sonny's dreams come
Breann
Oh, Amy Lane. How you slay me with your words and all the feels you make me feel.

I don’t even know how to express what I loved about this book. Everything, really.

I loved Sonny and his need to be loved by Ace.
"But I ain’t never had anybody keep me for good. I need to know you’ll keep me for good."

I loved Ace with his determination to take care of Sonny.
"I’ll do anything."

I loved Sonny & Ace’s complete devotion and possession of one another.
"I’m the only one who matters. […] I’m the onl
Karen
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 sunny stars rounded down to 4 because STILL no 1/2 stars here on GR and for no other freakin' reason.

There's late and then there's...I might have gotten lost along the way...

I have to admit this was one Amy Lane book that for whatever reason just never really caught my eye until I read the second book in her series "Fish Out of Water" and Jackson and Ellery pay Sonny and Ace a visit in search of some information and now I'm interested..and even then there's been a few side trips along the
❧Gwendolyn❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
WHAT A FICTIONALLY FUN RIDE!

BUT, SUSPENSION IS NEEDED!

That is Suspend Disbelief! But, GAAAAAWD WHAT A RIDE!

♠This is a tale that sort of reminds me of a Robin-Hood Love Story....Why...I'll place that bit of info in the spoiler~(view spoiler)
Adam
4 stars for the story, and an extra star for the excellent narration by Nick J. Russo.

This is my first time listening to an audiobook by Russo. Audiobooks are such a tricky business, because a bad narrator can easily ruin an excellent book. But I didn't need to worry, because this narrator is amazing! I was impressed by his ability to differentiate voices so completely, including both Texan and Russian accents, in both male and female versions. The audio flowed naturally, without feeling stilted
Kade Boehme
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like all i can really say is that I wept and my heart bled for everyone here and Amy Lane has truly made me believe yet again (and more than before) in what she is capable of...

"We left our sins behind us, drifting out to sea, and let the sunshine warm us..."

I just... Yeah... Speechless.

25 stars.
Kazza
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, arc

description

This book starts powerfully...

My name is Jasper Anderson Atchison. People call me Ace.

...and never eases the foot of the pedal of first-class story telling from there.

Beautiful writing, brilliant characterisations, glorious dialogue, perfectly nuanced in every way. Two survivors - one damaged, Sonny, another scarred and overly responsible, Ace. Impactful, heart wrenching and hopeful. Full spoiler free review
BWT (Belen)
4.75 Stars

Belens Audio Book Review

4.5 stars for the story, 5 stars for Nick J. Russo's excellent narration!

Told in first-person from Jasper “Ace” Anderson Atchison’s point of view this story is beautiful, crazy, messy, wonderful, and consuming. Rather like the characters.

nothing wrong with me

Ace is unequivocally in love with Sonny, and Sonny has an all-consuming, possessive, jealous, love for Ace. They would lay down their lives for one another. They would kill for each other.

The story begins in the present and then segues to the past to
Natasha
MY NAME is Jasper Anderson Atchison.
People call me Ace. I am a murderer and a thief, but if Sonny still wants me, I will call myself a good man.

I think some books, books like these, are too beautiful not to break your heart a little bit.
If I had to tell you my favorite part(s) of this book, I don't think I could. The writing, probably. The characters maybe. The excitement. The allure of the hero being so bad. The torment and the eventual gratification.
I don't remember the last time I read a
Xing
Sep 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.5 stars

I haven't had much experience with Amy Lane. In fact, this is the second novel I read from her. But it's clear that she is quite skilled in writing beautiful, and romantic prose. The emotions are visceral and Racing for the Sun was just that: emotional.

The story is told in first-person from Ace's point of view. I really love Ace. I don't really understand his fascination with Sonny, but they meet over in the middle east during his tour. They know each other for two years, but bu
Elsbeth

description - Narrator: Nick J. Russo

Great narrating, really loved the Texas drawl...

And Ace and Sonny.. My gawd, their love was intense. It was almost disfunctional. I would fear the day the one had to live without the other!!

Emotional ride through Sonny's past. Unbelievable.

“I will never want to leave you. I promise I will always want to keep you,”
“I promise, Sonny. I will try to be what you deserve.”

Trisha Harrington
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans Of Amy Lane & Dark Romacnes
This is one of the best Amy Lane book's I have ever read. This is one fucked up book at the best of times. I can't describe it any better really, there were so many things that would make people say hell no! There are some scenes that would test even the hardest of people and they did me, but I can honestly say it was worth all the pain and angst you get with this.

The MC's were both fucked up. I know it was more Sonny that had a screwed up life, but Ace was just as fucked up. I felt what Ace did
Mercedes
I love reading books about imperfect characters but I really did not enjoy reading this book at all. I think it was because in the end I didn't see a significant improvement (or anyone working towards it) by either character.

I found Sonny to be the most likeable character here. However, many times I was unable to understand what he was saying or the point he was trying to make. Plus he remains a total mystery until the very end of the book when he finally spills his guts.

I did not like anything
Thomaidha Papa
5 Hearts

Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

“I’ll do anything” Sonny says and from that moment on Ace will do anything to give Sonny his dreams.

Every time, every time I read on of Amy Lane’s books I’m left shattered and an emotional wreck; still I wouldn’t want it any other way.

This book is a race from the first line till the very end; an emotional roller coaster and another study on broken characters that Ms. Lane seems so capable of giving life to in h
CrabbyPatty
There is such beauty in this story of Ace and Sonny and their dream - living in a hot dirty desert town, working in a garage and racing cars. I started reading Racing for the Sun a few months ago, during a time I was also reading lots of heavy, angsty, heartbreaking books, and I had to set this aside for a while. But this book haunted me until I picked it up again and finished.

Other reviewers have recapped this book so well, suffice it say that I honest-to-gawd sobbed reading this book. Reminds
Grammy 1
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my, I am still speaking in tongues. Last week I met Amy Lane! What a wonderful experience for me after being her devoted fan for years and years. This wonderful woman, who makes me cry at least once a month now with her stories from the heart, signed every one of the two bags of books I hoisted at her and she still smiled at me. Wow!

I am here to tell you that before you begin to read Racing For the Sun you must have tissues and plenty of wine or drink of choice ready.

Jasper Anderson Atchinso
Nic
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I am a murderer and a thief, but if Sonny still wants me, I will call myself a good man." From the first paragraph, you know this book will be a little bit different.

Sonny and Ace meet in the military. Sonny triggers a hugely protective urge in Ace and Ace looks after Sonny, protecting him from less honourable officers. Then a certain event creates a secret that binds them. When Ace is discharged his one focus is to make Sonny's dream come true.

Although the men obviously have deep feelings for
justanya
Amy Lane never fails to deliver. She always manages to make me fall in love or become enthralled with her characters. Racing the Sun is no exception. I like this story and I love Sonny and Ace. They triggered every emotional response from me. So why 4 stars... well there's too much co dependency especially on Sonny's part and I was disturbed by Katrina (view spoiler) ...more
Eva
Review to come...

"I'll do anything."

Amy Lane's high speed twisted sexy race?

I'll do anything too!
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
-Audiobook-

This was my second audiobook! Ace is who tells the story and the narrator gave him the most perfect accent! Southern with a dash of ass...lol. I loved it.

The story was pretty good and I really enjoyed just letting him tell me about Sonny and Sonnys dream and learning about Ace himself.

These guys went thru some tough shit in their life and they deserve a HEA. I'm happy that Ace wanted to give Sonny his even before they fell into bed.

Amy Lane imho can do no wrong and I wasn't surprise
Snowtulip
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, own
3.5

So Amy Lane excels at co-dependence and pure NEED, and continues to do so in this book.

Amy Lane is one of my favorite authors because of that excellence, however something was just off for me in this story. I still enjoyed it and wanted to learn more about Ace and Sonny, but I wasn't compelled to have to know this minute (which I usually need to).

I'm thinking that maybe there was always too much going on that I didn't get to savor the story or maybe my mood wasn't ready to read this book.

Stil
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Dreamspinner Press: Racing for the Sun by Amy Lane 1 23 Apr 26, 2013 05:19PM

• The General and the Horse-Lord (The General and the Horse-Lord #1)
  • Latakia
  • Basic Training
  • Black Hawk Tattoo
  • Beyond Duty (Beyond Duty, #1)
  • 500 Miles (500 Miles 1, An MLR Mixed Tape)
  • Crush (The House on Glass Beach #1)
  • Stolen Summer
  • The Final Line (Recon Diaries #3)
  • Wild Raspberries (Dan & Tyler, #1)
  • Aaron (Survivor Stories #1)
  • Jack: Grime and Punishment (The Brothers Grime, #1)
  • Lost Won (Liaisons #3)
  • The Coil
  • Ravages
  • Into Deep Waters
  • Only Love (Only Love, #1)
  • Love, Like Water
Amy Lane dodges an EDJ, mothers four children, and writes the occasional book. She, her brood, and her beloved mate, Mack, live in a crumbling mortgage in Citrus Heights, California, which is riddled with spiders, cats, and more than its share of fancy and weirdness. Feel free to visit her at www.greenshill.com orwww.writerslane.blogspot.com, where she will ride the buzz of receiving your e-mail u ...more

Racing for the Sun (2 books)
  • Hiding the Moon (Fish Out of Water #4; Racing for the Sun #2)
“...every vertebrae on his back was a prayer bead under my hands.” 19 likes
“I lowered my mouth to his ear and said, “I think you’re my everything.” 11 likes