Start by marking “Kill Shakespeare, Vol. 4: The Mask of Night” as Want to Read:
Kill Shakespeare, Vol. 4: The Mask of Night

Kill Shakespeare, Vol. 4: The Mask of Night

(Kill Shakespeare #4)

Volume 4 of the award-winning series returns with a high seas tale of pirate battles, vengeance, and lost love. Hamlet, Juliet, Othello, and Shakespeare become pawns in a deadly game of survival between the legendary masked pirate Captain Cessario, his first mate Viola, and the new terror on the water, Titus Andronicus' forbidding war ship The Lavinia.
Published December 23rd 2014 by IDW Publishing (first published December 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Kill Shakespeare, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kill Shakespeare, Vol. 4

Jarrah
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I was pretty disappointed with this installment in the Kill Shakespeare series. The story lacked both the attention to small details and the more epic and important feel of the previous arcs. The art felt lazy in some cases and I particularly disliked Cesario's mask, which didn't look at all special or menacing; just tacky, and yet seemed to appear on practically every page.

From a feminist perspective I was super grossed out by Lucius' plots re: the pregnant Juliet and exasperated by the somewhat soapy fe
Daniel
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 2.25 of 5

What is happening to the Kill Shakespeare series?  I feel as though there is nothing to review here with this issue.

Hamlet, Juliet, Othello, and Shakespeare are on a ship, Captained by a masked Cessario whose first mate is Viola.  Cessario and Viola and crew appear to be pirates, but pirates who are afraid of another ship, captained by Titus Andronicus (okay...I'd be afraid of that ship, too).  There are some bat
Joana Felício
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist, read-to-buy
READ MY ORIGINAL REVIEW ON MY BLOG: http://thebookaddictsblog.blogspot.pt...

Shakespeare and pirates. Who wouldn't want to read that?
I hadn't read the previous volumes, so it started quite confusing and abruptly for me, but I got hold of the story pretty quickly from then onward.
The illustrations were as they usually are: amazingly powerful and put us immediately in the right atmosphere that is necessary to a storyline like this. They were also vert graphic and violent. Very violent. I would not recommend this to e
Christina
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wasn't fond of the ending, thought that it was maybe a little rushed, but all around enjoyable (like all the other ones).
Chris
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 bumped up to 4.
This book was a departure from the previous ones. It's barely about our ongoing heros at all. They are there and they are semi-important to the story, but they aren't really what the story is about. This one introduces Cesario, pirate extraordinaire, his first-mate/love interest Viola, and his cardboard crew. They are pursued by typical psychopath cannibal Lucius, son of Titus. Speaking of Titus, he was sorta kinda mentioned in a previous volume, but I think I learned mo
Adam Šilhan
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Pořád je to dobré, ale čtvrtý díl nic neposouvá.
Samantha
This was much shorter than the others and, I'll admit, a little bit disappointing. I love Viola to little pieces, however.
Fiction State Of Mind
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A stand alone story arc with fierce pirate battles
Dee Robb
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this series. Hoping for more!
Theediscerning
Nov 29, 2014 rated it liked it
While starting to this newbie as if it was only intending to try and prove the adage that Shakespeare, if alive now, would be writing for either TV soaps or for graphic novels, this story did gain some strength in time for me to see what it was about. It's still very awkward in taking characters from each and all of the Shakespeare plays and combining them, and peppering the script with quotes, play titles and more. But it does still have some merit, in managing to transpose all of that onto a t ...more
Wayne McCoy
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Kill Shakespeare Volume 4: The Mask of Night' takes place at sea. Our main story has moved off the crazy island. As usual, the art and story are good.

The story starts aboard masked Captain Cesario's ship. He and his first mate Viola find something stowed aboard their ship. It's not treasure, but it may prove of value. It's stowaways in the form on Juliet, Hamlet, Shakespeare and a crazed Othello. Surprises abound, especially when they run into Titus Andronicus' war ship The Lavinia.
Randy
May 21, 2015 rated it liked it
The tale continues, and by the way this books ends, looks to continue even more, with Juliet, Hamlet, Othello, and Shakespeare being rescued by pirates. The pirates are being pursued by those who work for the the new ruler Titus.

I picked this book up because it continues a very clever series I am enjoying that retells Shakespeare by blending his characters into a new story.

I finished the book because the story drew me on. Now that this book is finished, I want to read more.
Marisa
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This was awesome! I will be trying to get my hands on the previous volumes as soon as possible. Storyline independent, the artwork was fantastic and the writing was the perfect mixture of Shakespeare and everyday language. Set in an adventure on the high seas and this was a great read. I would highly recommend it.

Who should read it? Any comic fan that loves Shakespeare!

Please note: I received an advance copy through NetGalley.

See all my reviews and more at www.ReadingToDistraction.com
Ron
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Juliet, Hamlet, Othello, and Shakespeare are rescued by Cesario and Viola of the pirate ship Boreas. Disagreement between the crew and Cesario over how to dispose of their captives arose, but was rendered moot due to the Lavina's arrival. After being trapped in a rocky coast, a trade of Juliet and Cesario is made for the Boreas escape. Of course neither Lucius' evil plan nor Cesario's rescue attempt work out. The volume finishes in grand style with plenty of action and mayhem to help the plot al ...more
Kyle
Jan 24, 2015 rated it liked it
A strange case of expanding the narrative world with familiar yet alternate version of Twelfth Night characters, yet sidelining the main Kill Shakespeare characters to rather soap opera-ish subplots: a baby with two possible daddies, a comatose and a raging guilt-trip. Viola and Cesario make an adequate leading pair, but it really would have tied up a loose end if it were Titus, not his grandson Lucius, who lost a leg in a sea battle with Antonio - sigh, less and less a treasure chest of Shakespearean wit, more ...more
Paul Allard
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I’ve not read any of the previous episodes so came into this quite confused: knowing Shakespeare reasonably well, it was at first strange to find Othello, Juliet, Hamelt, Lear, Viola etc.. all together, along with Shakespeare himself.

This series of episodes take place mainly at sea in a pirate environment. It is a story of betrayal, mutiny, sea battles, love and lust. There is a lot of action, much of it bloody.

Quite well-illustrated
Elle Markov
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
A twist on Shakespeare with all the gore the Middle Ages and Pirates can bring to a story.

I was so sad when Cesario died, I wanted him and Viola to sail off together as he wanted to. But revenge is all the more dramatic when it's done for love, at least that's how it's in all the classics.

If you're into the dramatic, old English read, you'll enjoy this book. The illustrations are good and in the steps of Shakespeare all love ends tragically.

Rating 4 out of 5 ...more
Paul
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This series continues on roiling with treachery, regret, revenge and unrequited love. Even with all these intense passions, this volume seems like a pull back from the intense pace set by the first three volumes. This is still recommended and I look forward to future volumes.
John Opalenik
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another awesome chapter in the Kill Shakespeare story. If you've liked it so far, you'll love this.

My one and only complaint is that it was comparatively short.
Lukas Holmes
Apr 12, 2019
Juan V. U.
Jan 21, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Kill Shakespeare (5 books)
  • Kill Shakespeare, Vol. 1: A Sea of Troubles