Start by marking “Orphan Blade” as Want to Read:
Orphan Blade

Orphan Blade

(Orphan Blade #1-4)

Hadashi is a boy with simple dreams... but his life changes when a horrific accident maims his hand! Unable to hold a sword, he's kicked out of his dojo home. But the Orphan Blade is no ordinary sword. When Hadashi comes across the abandoned blade, he finds that not only is he able to wield it - the sword seems to be wielding him! He's not the only one interested in the Or ...more
Published December 9th 2014 by Oni Press (first published November 26th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Orphan Blade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orphan Blade

Lola
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
2 stars

Well…this is not the kind of graphic novel I thought it was going to be. I expected adventure filled with a beautiful friendship shared. I did get the friendship part but I certainly couldn’t call this story an adventurous one.

I mean, there are some events, people searching for some artefacts and new discoveries but it mostly was a sequential art themed graphic novel. That’s not what I wanted, so I really can’t give this work a higher rating, despite the cool graphics.

Truth is there is 50% of battle in it, 30% info dumping or
Kuroi
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Middle grade readers with a strong stomach?
I downloaded Orphan Blade with a bunch of other graphic novels on a whim, just because they were available on Netgalley. Plus I've reading a bunch of graphic novels lately, so I thought I'd continue the streak.

Anyway, the book is difficult to rate since I have no idea what it really wants to be. I started off thinking it was middle-grade or aimed at early teens - the writing is simplistic and aiming for dramatic flair. Midway through, it turned into a real gore fest with a ton of body horror thrown in and I decide
Jamie
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Almost 2.5 stars but not quite there. I wanted to like this, I really did. The artwork is fun and playful and reminded me a bit of Avatar: The Last Airbender. Sadly the story did not live up to it's end...

The first thing that hurt this was right at the beginning. The prologue. I could not read it! The font style and size caused my eyes so much pain attempting to read it I just skipped it. So this comic and I were not off to a good start. One I get past that however, it seems to pick
Amber
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A young boy named Hadashi who after getting his hand bitten off by a hungry haikju monster ends up getting kicked out by the karate teacher who took him in as an orphan. When he is taken in by a young ninja boy named Katz and a young woman named Soyako, Hadashi has finally found a new home. It is only when he steals a magical blade known as the Orphan Blade that his adventures truly begin. Will he survive? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good read that I had gotte
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Longtime comics author Marcus "Nick" Almand tragically passed away due to cancer this year but Oni Press has released one of his works, Ophen Blade, a collaboration with Jake Myler. The story is a feudal type fantasy with a Japanese manga and culture-influenced feel. The book is bright and colorful, easy to follow, and features a young anti-hero protagonist.

Story: Sorcerers have unleashed monsters, Kaijuu, from another dimension. They are nearly indestructible - it is on
Albert
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am giving Orphan Blade by M Nicholas Almand four stars but don't be fooled, there is room for a lot of improvement in this book. The artwork is not consistent and may have been better served as a Manga styled novel and the characters themselves could have better served with a stronger back story. But as a beginning to a series this one is very strong right out of the gate.

Sorcerers and Holy men believing they had the power to reach the heavens instead open a portal into another dim
Darcy Roar
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphics, teen
Weird little book. The art is nice and vibrant, especially the sections in the blighted areas, but the plot is all over the place. Like the opening is about a Kaiju (which sounds way more interesting honestly) Then we jump to students in a dojo where the master is drunk all the time for about 20 pages. Then we do thief stuff, then bounty hunters show up, and it's all a big mess. The character's relationships are all donked up to, character change sides for seemingly no reason and I think 2 of th ...more
Jessica
All right. Author back story: Almand passed away, but his comic was published and released. That in itself is a great accomplishment and that's an amazing testament to his friends and fans. Unless you knew him beforehand, you don't get that tidbit until the end. That influences my review because while it might not have been my cup of tea, it has a place out there, and hopefully this review will help.

Where the appeal lies:

love

1)The ambiguity romance. I found it fascinating that this would have made a gre
Sarah Maddaford
Melissa Chung
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Thank you Diamond Book Distributors and NetGalley for this free eARC.

I had a really hard time getting through the first couple pages because the font was sooo small and eligible. I had to blow up the images 200% just to be able to read what was going on. I was worried because each page took a good five minutes to scroll through. I finally gave up and decided that I would just squint and read/guess what the words were. After a few pages the font and illustrations became much larger an
Alice Marsh-Elmer
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
It started off interesting, but the preface story (which I found more interesting than anything that followed) simply doesn't do a good enough job of setting up this world for you. Suddenly, you're faced with a cast of characters (all introduced by age) who are fighting a group of demons--demons that legitimately seem horrific, though possibly not as horrific as our main characters drunk father figure/teacher.

It appears to be written for a YA audience, though the nearly immediate vio
Wayne McCoy
Aug 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Orphan Blade' is a graphic novel that looks like it's for younger readers, but it's got a level of violence that makes it not for the Avatar audience.

A world attacked by kaiju finds a way to defeat them by creating a set of weapons from their bones. Hadashi is a young boy who wants to be a warrior. When an accident maims his hand, he finds himself set on a different course. Fate has a role to play, and he finds himself the target of strange kaiju and a group of assassins. Will he be
MartyAnne
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm not going to summarize this, as it would cause spoilers in so short a text. Enjoyable departure from reality. Wait. All of manga could be characterized like that! OK, ok.

Awesome manga illustrations. It seems like a story that deserves to be epic, but was left in fits and starts. The storyline is as wandering as the characters lost in blighted lands. It felt hurried at times. It could be fleshed out, honestly made into a real epic.

The characters were great. The "five f
Bonnie
This book had some good premises, but felt unfocused. Was it an alternative history book? A coming of age story? A romance? Horror? Bad-ass combat for people who love video games? Someone overcoming a disability? It has elements of all these genres, but doesn't really incorporate them all into an effective story. It felt disjointed in both storytelling and in the intended audience. While the art, plot description, and initial story seem aimed at young teens, it makes a very abrupt turn into gore ...more
Paul Allard
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This comic book combines the manga comic genre with monsters born from the Blight, an event brought on by sorcerers destroying the landscape and make it very dangerous. Magic weapons are forged from the monsters when they are killed but they are not always under the control of the person wielding them.

Hadashi is the main character whose circumstances change when he is attacked by a Blighted frog. He ends up wielding the Orphan Blade, a weapon sought after by Lord Chirigi and his paid
Thomaidha Papa
2.5 hearts
Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

...Ah, this was an interesting title. An adventure without being one. It’s a historical Sci-Fi followed up by a post-apocalyptic theme. It was familiar is what I immediately thought. Something about the intro made me feel as if I’d read something similar before and not only till I finished did I realize that Evangelion has been one of the inspiring Animes for this author. And yes, the intro resembles Evangelion way too much. Than
Erin
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I may have requested this on netgalley on a whim (mostly because I was curious about the plot than anything else), but I have to say that even though this is a quick read for me, but damn it was such a fun read and one that contained some really cool illustrations too not to mention that the whole read was beautifully coloured as well and was very eye-catching too. Loved it!

photo tumblr_meesqxOlbB1rv8jpzo1_500.gif

* Thanks to the publisher on netgalley for providing me with a review copy of this book!

4.5 stars!
Skye Kilaen
The Orphan Blade is a cursed weapon, one of many created from the dead bodies of kaiju (giant monsters) after they started appearing in humanity's world and destroying everything in their paths. Hadashi is a former sword apprentice cast out into homelessness after his dominant hand is permanently injured. When he connects with the Orphan Blade, it seems like a good thing at first... but thinks quickly spin out of control. Love the multicultural cast, love the colorful and clear art, and especial ...more
Elle Markov
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a short, quick read. The art is very good, it's really impressive, however, the story left something to be desired.

The story follows an orphan boy that get's some of his fingers eaten off by a Kaiju [which is Japanese for strange monster], after that he is depressed. Eventually he finds a super-powered blade and all the troubles that go along with it.

The final conflict at the end of the story was so blah, maybe that's why it scored so low with me. We know nothing
Nay Denise
Hadashi is a young boy put in unfortunate situations. With the help of two new friends he's able to deal with life as the seven finger thief.

I loved Dr. Africa, Katze and Soyako. They were very helpful and believed in Hadashi. The five fingers of death crew was insane. I mean they couldn't really die and had sick ways of coming back to lie. Just insane.

The artwork in this graphic novel is impeccable. Absolutely adored it and I hope there is morw to come!
Linda Zeng
I received an ARC of this book via NetGalley in Exchange for an honest review.

A typical story with mediocre art. There are certain upsides to the story and I think the premise is very interesting. However, I was slightly bothered by the art style - many of the girls, I thought were guys.

In any case, it's a nice read. It's not amazing, but not bad either.
Hamster
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Got this from NetGalley to read to my kids. Turns out it's definitely not for anyone under 18. But the awesome art and engaging story had me reading on my own. If I could change anything I'd take out the swearing and the orientation reveal at the end. I'm not a bigot, I just prefer reading about hetero protags.
Nic
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This would be more my thing if the violence wasn't so over-the-top. It was headed for a lower rating before the surprise at the very end. I'd actually kind of wondered if the story would go that way, but I didn't REALLY believe it . . . and then it did! Oh, book. That made me happy.
Emily
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
So sad there won't be any more volumes - I loved the story, and I LOVED the vivid, colorful artwork like crazy.
Chad
Nov 02, 2015 rated it liked it
A solid manga style book featuring martial arts and kaiju.
Ella Preuss
Nice read! Review coming up.
Ann
Dec 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I bought it for the library. Not in love with it. Interested to see if it finds an audience. It reads upper middle school/high school.
Courtney