Start by marking “Stealing from God: Why Atheists Need God to Make Their Case” as Want to Read:
Stealing from God: Why Atheists Need God to Make Their Case

Stealing from God: Why Atheists Need God to Make Their Case

If you think atheists have reason, evidence, and science on their side, think again! Award-winning author Dr. Frank Turek (I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist) will show you how atheists steal reason, evidence, science, and other arguments from God in trying to make their case for atheism. If that sounds contradictory, it's because it is! Atheists can't make their c ...more
Published January 1st 2015 by NavPress Publishing Group (first published December 18th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Stealing from God, please sign up.
Daniel How do you define an "intellectual argument"? Every argument is an appeal to someone's intellect, if we define "intellect" broadly enough to include a…moreHow do you define an "intellectual argument"? Every argument is an appeal to someone's intellect, if we define "intellect" broadly enough to include all human mental activity. For example, many arguments are fallacious, but they are in a sense just as "intellectual" as valid arguments, since humans process fallacious arguments with their intellects just as they process valid arguments with their intellects. Faulty reasoning, after all, is an intellectual process. For example, if a man convinces himself that his wife is not cheating on him, he has to use his intellect to do that. He has to expend intellectual energy to rationalize away any clues he might detect that conflict with what he wants to believe.

In contrast, if you define "intellectual argument" more narrowly, such as in keeping with critical thinking, then it becomes quite a bit harder to come up with intellectual arguments for the existence of any particular God or gods. That's little problem for the lucrative religion industry, since the vast majority of people know little or nothing of critical thinking. Most cannot even name five fallacies, much less recognize them in ordinary discourse, where fallacies often come heavily disguised. Few people understand the difference between a fact and a mere belief and honestly maintain the distinction. They talk about God in a matter-of-fact way, much as they would talk about the height of Mount Everest, when those are two completely different types of claims.

One easy way to understand this is to try coming up with intellectual arguments for the existence of Zeus (or Thor, or Santa Claus, or Bigfoot, etc.). Just take all the standard arguments for God and substitute "Zeus" for "God" throughout. Do you find the arguments convincing then? Will you dedicate your life to Zeus and sing his praises every day? Probably not. For most people, it takes a lot more than mere arguments to believe in something for which there is no evidence. And what is that something more? Simple: it's childhood brainwashing. Most people who believe a religion believe the religion they were taught as children. When people are young they are highly susceptible to believing whatever they are taught by their trusted authority figures (parents and other adults they are told to trust). Most people are then not smart enough to overcome their childhood brainwashing when they become adults. It's even hard for most people to become aware of their brainwashing.

You probably weren't brainwashed as a child to believe in Zeus, so you could probably spot the problems with any argument for the existence of Zeus. Even if you could not spot the problem, you'd know there had to be a problem hiding in there somewhere. But if you grew up in a majority Christian nation, with Christian parents, you probably absorbed a huge amount of brainwashing as a child which makes the Christian God seem far more plausible to you as an adult. Similarly, if you had been raised in Saudi Arabia by Muslim parents, and gone to Muslim schools, you'd probably find Muslim doctrine to be the most plausible.

Of all the academic disciplines, the one with the highest rate of atheism among professors is anthropology. As you may know, anthropologists study the diversity of human culture, and they learn firsthand how every human culture develops its own mix of practical, real-world knowledge along with an astounding body of nonsensical beliefs. Seeing how seriously other peoples take their nonsense makes it easier for anthropologists to question their own received nonsense.(less)

Start your review of Stealing from God: Why Atheists Need God to Make Their Case
Amora
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith
Turek is a very talented Christian apologist. I first discovered Frank Turek from watching his videos on YouTube and I was very impressed with how he handled tough questions from people he debated. His debate with Christopher Hitchens was especially terrific. This book pretty much lays out the arguments presented by Turek in his debates in layman’s terms. Turek uses archaeology, chemistry, biology, reason, and history to make the case for Christianity. Norman Geisler would be proud to learn how ...more
Michael Beaton
Mar 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
Note 1/14/2016 : I added a too long response to one of the comments below. It is an attempt to respond to some of the core assertions by books like this one, and as offered by someone who apparently read it and responded to this post. It server as a part 2 to this post in some ways.
---------

Read through the first pages using the preview function. He makes a serious flaw/assertion (assumption) and then seems to use this base as the basis of his point: To Wit " atheists are materialists, therefo
Rod
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: atheism, apologetics
This book was so much fun. Indeed, I have yet to meet an atheist who lives like a 100% atheist.

Daily I come across atheists who break their own rules. Frank Turek shows us exactly how and when this happens. It's hilarious when they complain that something isn't FAIR, or JUST, or Equal, Or Moral...they assume a standard that they demand doesn't exist. Nothing is sacred they say, but then cry when a sacred code is defiled.
So where do they get all these standards from: GOD of course.

These pages
Yo Leo Ficción Cristiana
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inglés, 2014, no-ficción
description

RESEÑA EN ESPAÑOL COMPLETA

This book is an incredible tool for all those who want to basis of the existence of God. Atheists often have more information than one who claims to believe in God, but this book provides the necessary knowledge to learn about this topic.

"Stealing from God" explains how atheists need God to prove its nonexistence. However, if they profess not believe in Him , how can they need God to base their claims?

In the eight chapters of this book , we learn about Causality, Re
Kelli
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book to review by Tyndale and was so happy they did. I really feel like I learned more about the thought process behind trying to disprove God. It was written well and researched well too. I liked the ideas and gained new knowledge of how atheists think. His points on atheists adopting morals from God is so good. It helped me understand even more why the attitude of believe nothing is fruitless, especially against laws and the system we now use in our government. This took me a ...more
Christine Norman
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: apologetics
Frank Turek is a great author and debater. This book shows the inconsistencies and hypocrisy of the atheist arguments against GOD. He's also a very entertaining speaker, but talks fast. it's nice to be able to read his debate points at a leisurely pace!
Roger Leonhardt
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent !!!!! Even better the second time around!!!!!!
Lila Kims
If, as a Christian, you've ever felt overwhelmed or even just a little bit discouraged by the confidence atheists seem to have in their widely accepted worldview, I HIGHLY encourage you to read this book. You'll never have doubts about the credibility of their arguments again. The evidence presented so clearly and logically in these chapters has strengthened the intellectual side of my faith, and it will strengthen yours too.

This book is just amazing.
Charity Andrews
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that every college student should have. Wait, let me rephrase that. This is a book that everybody should have. Frank Turek is incredibly informed and detailed when talking about the different arguments for atheism vs. theism. In this book, he actually shows you how it takes more faith to believe that there is no God, than to believe the God of the Bible.

Throughout the book, you will find many different debates with high profile atheists. He, and others, go head to toe with Richard
Tanya
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Stealing from God" details intellectual crimes committed by atheists against God. In the time and age of intellectual property and its rights, this book is a perfect product. The author has found a very clever combination to make his case, he uses CRIMES as an acrostic, each letter in the word represents one or more aspects of reality that wouldn't exist if atheism were true. C = Causality, R= Reason, I = Information and Intentionality, M = Morality, E = Evil, S = Science.

This book is perfect
Algernon
Feb 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A Christian’s Guide to Being a Condescending Prick

Are you an insecure evangelical? Are you tired of bumping into secular ideologies that make you have to think? Well have we got a book for you! Turn your mind off to “Stealing from God”: the book where Turek will gently tell you that you are right about everything and it’s everyone else who’s stupid.

Seriously though, Turek makes no attempt to understand the viewpoints of atheists and instead produced a condescending book-length straw-man attack o
Pau
Sep 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
The book gets progressively worse and Frank Turek starts repeating himself over and over again. Towards the end it also turns more and more into praise for the Christian god.
He also sees atheism and materialism as the same thing. And doesn't acknowledge that you can think that there is no god but still believe that there is such a thing as souls or other spiritual stuff.
Finally I just don't agree with a lot of his opinions. Here are two quotes:
"Theists didn't make up the fact that murder is wr
Fred Kohn
May 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
I read this book on the recommendation of a friend, and, boy, what a mistake that was! I can't tell you the number of times I rolled my eyes, did a facepalm, or wanted to throw the book up against the nearest wall. Basically the book was one big exercise in question begging. God is the origin of X, Y, and Z because God is the origin of everything. And God is the origin of everything because God is the origin of X, Y, and Z. Add in a misunderstanding of both evolution and intelligent design and y ...more
Mubeshra
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Frank Turek wrote a very comprehensive and well argued book dissecting deep into the issues that bring atheists and theists at loggerheads. With themes like morality, evil, bad and good, the purpose of God in our lives etc have been dealt with an ease for everyone to understand along with quoting a number of theologians, philosophers and scientists both who are atheists and Christians. He is certainly well read when it comes to giving various arguments to back up his case and why God very much e ...more
John Martindale
Within the apologetic spectrum there is the fundamentalist evangelicals on the right and than the rather liberal Christian defenders on left. Turek is definitely so far right that he made me uncomfortable with his tone, certitude, lack of understanding of what he opposed and simplicity. I listened to the audiobook and that didn't help, since the narrator had a Christian radio "Positive and Encouraging" voice that was annoying and hard to take seriously.
I did however really like the main point o
Nat Kidder
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Turek uses logic and other elementary philosophical devices to stand the standard Atheist arguments on their head, arguing that Atheism, and not Theism, is a creed that rests on blind faith. Despite liberal use of exclamation points, he does so brilliantly; it's an outstanding resource for any Christian apologist.

The book is divided into two parts: the first makes the case that there must be a deity; otherwise, the philosophical underpinnings of philosophy and science make no sense. The second p
Skip
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I checked this audio book out from one of my library's e-book services.

This presuppositional apologetic book is well written and thought out... except when the author is using straw man arguments and other fallacies to try to make his case... or outright negating his own argument, such as in the section on morality, where he lambasts the actions of leaders such as Hitler, Stalin, and Pol Pot as evidence of the wrongness of atheism, while playing down Christian atrocities such as the Crusades, th
Joel Born
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As someone involved in full time college ministry, this book is invaluable. The presentation is easy to understand and the information which Turek presents is necessary!

I gave it 5 stars even though there are a few moments where Turek comes off as condescending, but that may be also a side effect of his passion that all men would see their errors and come to Christ.
Jeremy Pitman
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Really, really good. Logically and with such precision, turns atheistic arguments on their heads.
Jonathan Edet
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for the seeking mind. It's amazing how all creation points to the existence of an unmoved mover.
Great book for the thinking Christian and the searching atheist.
Obi-Wan  Kenobi
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal book explaining how Atheists need God to make their case against him. From their worldview they cannot justify morality, every thought is pre determined therefore there is no free will, and the universe came from nothing by no one!
Omar El-mohri
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, audio-copy
This show how complex and how lazy to say that there is no God. Everyone who is curious about the nature and univers need to read this. Doesn't matter of what you believe in.
Adam Fehr
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would have enjoyed and understood more of this book if I had been reading a physical copy rather than the audio version while driving. But the parts I did understand were great. When someone tells you, "there's no such thing as truth," you say, "is that true?" This book is full of many arguments that atheists use to try to prove their views, but Turek shows how these arguments are actually self-defeating. A perfect book for budding apologists!
Lyndsey Lewellen
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thick and hearty read. I love listening to Frank on the radio and had the pleasure of meeting him in person in March. He's super kind in person and honest and true in writing. This is a must-read for both Christians and Atheists. But, like I said, it's a thick read. I had to read it a section at a time, giving myself time to really digest the thoughts presented. And Frank does it so beautifully. Each point is articulate, logical, and splashed with wit.

I hope to pick up Mr. Turek's other books s
Mark Lickliter
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Superb! Frank is what I would call an "eclectic apologist", which means he is not bound by one particular method. Others I would classify this way are Ravi Zacharias, John Frame and Douglas Groothuis. I'm sure others like Francis Schaeffer and C.S. Lewis might fit within my own made-up category as well. Turek blends the best of Classical, Evidential and Presuppositional methods when dealing with his debate opponents. I think Turke's approach is among the most helpful. It takes discernment and pa ...more
Frank Peters
Oct 13, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a book that I would highly recommend, but at the same time cannot rate it as highly as I would like. Turek’s book is an excellent apologetic book that is extensively researched and uses some of the best arguments available. But, the author unfortunately presents the material in a style that I find far too triumphalist. Also, since the book is designed for a wide audience, many of the arguments are presented either as straw man arguments or possibly more weakly than ideal. So, for anyone ...more
Debbie
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Turek walks through areas such as causality, reason, morality, evil and science to drive home his main point that atheists need God to make their case. "In other words, when atheists give arguments for their atheistic worldview, they are stealing from a theistic worldview to make their case." The writing is extremely readable and Turek’s arguments, always tempered with common sense, are easily understandable. I would classify this as a beginning text in Christian apologetics, reminiscent at time ...more
Josh Long
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wish Turek stayed away from topics where he clearly did not have sufficient real estate to effectively cover, and just left those for the books that have already specialised in the respective topics. Other than that, with some arguments being more logically conclusive than others - he makes a sound case for the unconscious borrowing the atheistic worldview does from the theistic worldview. This is a deeply problematic transaction for those whom subscribe to it.
Allison Anderson Armstrong
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Basically another look at theism versus atheism, creationist views versus evolutionist and a lot of the same info as "I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist." Still a great book, although the title is a little misleading, the "Stealing from God" part seems to be sending a different message initially than one would think. I see what he means, and the subtitle explains, but still ...
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Honestly NOT a great read. The premise was intriguing, but mostly I felt that the author simply kept talking in circles. I found it more confusing and roundabout as an argument. Even if they were arguments I tend to agree with, the method of delivery was frustrating to say the least.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist
  • Is God anti-gay?: And other questions about homosexuality, the Bible and same-sex attraction
  • Cold-Case Christianity: A Homicide Detective Investigates the Claims of the Gospels
  • Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions
  • Is God a Moral Monster?: Making Sense of the Old Testament God
  • On Guard: Defending Your Faith with Reason and Precision
  • Confronting Christianity: 12 Hard Questions for the World's Largest Religion
  • Jesus Among Other Gods: The Absolute Claims of the Christian Message
  • Delighting in the Trinity: An Introduction to the Christian Faith
  • No God but One: Allah or Jesus?: A Former Muslim Investigates the Evidence for Islam and Christianity
  • Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity
  • Old Testament Today: A Journey from Original Meaning to Contemporary Significance
  • Dangerous Prayers: Because Following Jesus Was Never Meant to Be Safe
  • Has Christianity Failed You?
  • The Christian Atheist: Believing in God but Living As If He Doesn't Exist
  • The Logic of God: 52 Christian Essentials for the Heart and Mind
  • The Allure of Gentleness: Defending the Faith in the Manner of Jesus
"Frank Turek is an American Christian author, Christian Apologist and public speaker at universities, conferences, and churches. He is the author of two books, Correct, Not Politically Correct and Stealing from God, and co-author of two more with Norman Geisler, I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist and Legislating Morality. He hosts a call-in talk show called CrossExamined on American Family ...more

News & Interviews

“God’s signature is not just in the cell, it’s in all of creation. God is as necessary to the universe as a band is to music. Once the band stops playing, the music is over.” 5 likes
“Good philosophy must exist, if for no other reason, because bad philosophy needs to be answered.” 5 likes