Start by marking “The Magician” as Want to Read:
The Magician

Read Book

The Magician

Hurricane Sandy ravages the Jersey Shore while simultaneously providing the backdrop for a horrible crime. A serial killer takes advantage of the night's ferocity and inflicts his own damage. The madman then disappears leaving a famed F.B.I. agent broken in the process. Frank Sorello retires from the Bureau only to be drawn back into the game after a bestselling novel by a ...more
Published July 10th 2014 by WingSpan Press (first published July 1st 2014)

Heena Rathore P.
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!
Note: I received a paperback copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Plot/Story:
This book has an amazing plot and the story is simply AWESOME!!! If you want to read a really, really good psychological thriller then you should definitely read The Magician. The concept is out of the world and I really, really enjoyed reading each and every chapter. The entire time I was at the edge of my seat and it was surprisingly hard to put down this book even for a second.
It was a/>
Stephen
This book by first time author, David Pupa will have you on the edge of your seat. Retired FBI agent Frank Sorello is haunted by his wife's murder. David's use of Hurricane Sandy'wrath to disguise a maniacal genius serial killer's own wrath. An author in his own right Killer James has written a bestselling novel with riddles that have caught the attention of Frank. Frank is back on the path of the "psycho ". James leads Frank's team on a journey filled with dead ends and continues to haunt Frank ...more
Ana
May 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, to-buy, r4r, thriller

Well, it's never easy to write less than stellar reviews when an author is kind enough to gift you his or her work, but I have to admit I had quite a few issues with this story.

First of all, I had a big problem with the punctuation. Misplaced commas always make me twitch.
Example:
He loved the darkness, quietly he entered the bedroom.

There was just something about the prose that felt forced and sometimes even pompous.
I got that feeling from the first line: The orange hue of the
Galit  Balli
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars and beyond <3

I will keep this review short, sweet and spoilers free ;)

The Magician is an amazing story to read and I would give it 10 awesome stars in Goodreads if I could. I enjoyed every second of reading this book, from start to finish (I even read it twice) ;)

The plot caught my attention from the first few pages and since then, I was glued to the book. I've missed reading a good book and I normally wouldn't read a psychological thriller, but I a
Mindy
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so great. It has the perfect mixture of suspense, drama, intelligence, love, twist and turns. You can really get into the heads of all the characters. If I wasn't reading the book I was thinking about it or even dreaming about it. It really lets you see how the killer was a product of his environment. I even found myself rooting for him time to time. Love how even fictional psychos end up in Montana at some point. I loved that you got to see all sides of the story: the killers view, ...more
Dawn
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story is great. Editing needed --comma splices. Pronoun usage. Characterization was extreme.
Babus Ahmed
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This gripping thriller starts off with retired FBI profiler Frank Sorello trying to keep calm as he discovers the second novel written by Gary Jones, a thriller novelist, carries details perhaps only the killer or someone in a select few within the FBI could have known. Frank has enjoyed some outstanding success in his career but he could not bring the murderer who killed his wife to justice and subsequently retired. His obsession with Gary Jones started when he read his first book but Frank's a ...more
Jill Miller
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book -- the story is incredibly complex, yet told in such a way that it's easy to follow. Totally unpredictable, too. My only criticism is that the book needs to be "cleaned up" a bit -- the incorrect use of commas was very distracting. That said, guided by the hand of a strong editor, this book could easily stand among the best of the genre and be a best seller. I cannot wait for the sequel -- there WILL be a sequel, right????!!!???? (I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway)
Lisa Paden
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I would have given the book more stars, but I did find it difficult to get past the dialogue of the characters and the prose the author used at times. The book, however, did keep my attention and I did find that I could not put it down.
Stefanie
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-group-books
Fantastic debut novel. Thank you for a thrilling ride. Great twists and turns. Is there a sequel?
Jay G
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
*I was given a copy of this book by the author in exchange for my honest review*

VIDEO REVIEW: https://youtu.be/BG6aO5-hnoQ

Frank Sorello has retired from the F.B.I when a recent case involving a serial killer struck a little to close to home. Now, several years later after the release of a novel from a best-selling author raises red flags, Frank is sucked back into the F.B.I lifestyle. Frank must work quickly against the clock to catch the killer before its too late.

This book was extremely fast paced a
Rob
Mar 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
I never quit a book, no matter how bad it is. So it was a burden to finish what is, in my opinion, the worst serial killer book I have ever read. Now I feel it would be unfair to give the score I did without a reason (considering the average on here it's possible i was reading a different book) so I will do a very rare review.
Almost everything about this book is poor, I say almost because the books premise, a serial killer that torments an ex F.B.I. agent through a book series and a host of gri
Lauren
I was... underwhelmed by this one. I mean, it was a good story, don't get me wrong, but it feels like just about every other thriller I've read. For starters, this is one of those books that is interesting when you're reading it, but it's not something that you just can't put down. Additionally, after you put it down (for any amount of time), there's nothing that really makes you want to pick it back up.

I did like that it was partially based in NJ. That was part of the reason I picke
Fleur
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is a very generous 2 stars. I couldn't even finish the book and that's saying something. I thought the book had potential. The idea was interesting but the writing was unforgivable. The characters were so horribly stereotyped that they grated on my nerves. In addition, there was no drama when the disastrous event finally happened. There was no build up, anticipation, no fear. It was just bam(!), everybody who's important is dead. Anticlimatic. Then there's the continuous..."Best years of hi ...more
Jessica
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I give this 5 stars! I won this book from the author in a contest he had ( Paperback)

This book is intense and honestly gave me nightmares when I read it before bed. There is a great mix of drama and suspense. There is a lot of twists and turns. Some things were easy to figure out and some things had me guessing. I didnt want to put it down but I had to because I had nightmares about this book. I loved that it make me not want to read at night because to me that makes it a great book.
Kelly Sluka
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I set out to make this the book I was to read over the school holiday break. I had to find another within 3 days because I couldn't put this down and finished it so quickly. It was a great read with many twists. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys psychological thrillers. Now I anxiously await the next book!
Jackie
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Definitely catches your attention and keeps you interested!! I thought the main character was a little too perfect (of a murderer) so thought there could have been a little more contrast around him. Other than that, this book certainly kept me hooked!
Meg O'sullivan
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Extremely fast read! Thoroughly enjoyed it! New author to watch out for! I highly recommend!
Jeni
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, reviewed
First off, I have to say the author, D.A. Pupa is one of the nicest people I've ever encountered. When I added his book to my TBR shelf, he personally thanked me, then when I listed it as read, he messaged me and thanked me for reading his book. So if for anything, read this book so that you can get a message from a really nice author thanking you for reading their book, it really makes you feel good! I wasn't even gifted a copy of this book or anything, I bought it for Kindle and then I bought ...more
Karen Gail Brown
This book needs serious editing. The story is good, but the punctuation errors and some grammatical errors make it really difficult to read, which is the reason it to me so long to do so.
Leslie Fuller
Could use some editing

I enjoyed the storyline. I thought it had good potential, but I kept getting distracted by the way this book read. To many times a chapter would jump around from one character's thought or action to suddenly something unrelated and then back again making me re-read a page to make sure I understood what the author was trying to explain. A good editor would have caught these jumbled thoughts and had them rewritten to smooth out the read.
I also found the dialogue stiff
Jae Park
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The story of Frank Sorello as he follows a gruesome serial killer, who has an IQ of 200, is one of those stories that you cannot put down. I wished that I could freeze my life just so I could read this book uninterrupted.
Frank investigates the many twists and turns of this tale with unshakable aplomb, even when the murderer sends the most hideous clues. No spoilers, but the killers trademark made me cringe. And I've been reading Stephen King since I was 11...so that's not easy to do.
The cha
Megan Overholser
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
This book was interesting and I was hooked from chapter 1. I found myself torn between rooting for Frank and for James. This was a descriptive book that thoroughly explained what led James to his decisions. This was a very engaging book that I couldn't help but talk about every time I set it down. That being said...I was a little distracted by some misplaced commas, but even more distracted by how unrealistic this book was. It was a great idea, but is James really that intelligent, beautiful, an ...more
Carolyn Rowker
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! It definitely deserves a rating of more than five stars! This is easily my new favorite book to read again and again; I am looking forward to the sequel and hope I don't have to wait long! I plan on recommending it to everyone. Kudos to the writer for an absolutely great page turner!
Darla Obrien
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm not going to review with spoilers.
This was such an engrossing, edge of your seat book.
This is not just another serial killer book. Its a tale of human surffering, love and pain. Can love save us from our darkness? Can it unravel us?
If you like character driven stories then this book is one of the best.
Nancy Jansen
Oct 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I like the idea and story line, but feel the book was written for teens, or individuals new to English. Very easy wording - too much explanation for things that were quite easy to grasp without all the verbiage. Also, the ending was sort of predictable. But it was a good story, and made me want to read it all the way through. Thank you for the book.
TA
OK, this was such a fun read! The story was fast paced and action packed, not unlike a comic book. I will definitely be leaving my copy within reach in case I end up reading a boring book and need to read something interesting to pick my brain back up.
LaShana
Mar 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I only made it to 23% of this book before I had to call it quits. It was so boring. I felt like I was reading a book report. None of the characters had any life to them and every action seemed forced.
Chip Luonuansuu
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the best thrillers I have ever read. A former F.B.I. agent Frank Sorello, is convinced an author of thriller novels is actually a serial killer, known as The Magician. Sorello comes out of retirement, to try to put an end to the killing spree.
Debbie Oxier
May 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
I couldn't even finish this one. The narrative just went on and on and there was very little dialogue. It was impossible to get a good feel for the characters. Not my cup of tea.
Crazy for Young A...: Pair C: Leah and Vicki (July 2017) 9 22 Jul 19, 2017 09:03PM

• Symphony
  • The Wildman
  • Black Magic
  • The Boys Are Back in Town
  • Willy
  • Elephantmen, Vol. 1: Wounded Animals
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Five
  • The Art of Fiction: A Guide for Writers and Readers
  • Isis (Harrow House, #0.25)
  • Stephen King Goes to the Movies
  • Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire
  • Black Evening
  • The Rising (The Rising #1)
  • What Lies Within
  • Fade
  • Legends
  • David
  • House of Stone (Tsura, #2)
“Life’s unpredictable patterns had a strange way of forming a connected web.” 1 likes