Start by marking “Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter” as Want to Read:
Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter

Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter

Though Easter is often trivialized by the culture at large, it is still the high point of the religious calendar for millions of people around the world. And for most of them, there can be no Easter without Lent, the season that leads up to it.

A time for self-denial, soul-searching, and spiritual preparation, Lent is traditionally observed by daily reading and reflection.
Published November 3rd 2014 by Plough Publishing House (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Bread and Wine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bread and Wine

Start your review of Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter
Ashley
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christ-following
Now, this collection made me dig deep.

These 72 readings—divided into themes of invitation, temptation, the passion, the crucifixion, the resurrection, and new life—are best read one at a time, with plenty of time in between for meditation.

The writers include G.K. Chesterton, Wendell Berry, N.T. Wright, John Stott, Dorothy Sayers, C.S. Lewis, Mother Teresa, Christina Rossetti, Oswald Chambers, Saint Augustine, Kierkegaard, Bonhoeffer, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, and a whole host of others. (There are
Rachel A.  Dawson
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read the Christmas edition of this book back during the Advent season, and loved it. This one was no exception -- it's such a fantastic collection of short writings from MANY acclaimed Christian writers, speakers, and thinkers. I loved the progression of the pieces throughout the Lent season, and loved that it didn't just end on Easter Sunday but continued for a few weeks beyond. This is an excellent companion to any Lent study or just as a standalone book to read throughout the season as ...more
Elizabeth
This is a lovely book of daily devotions for Lent and Easter. I have really enjoyed reading it each morning.
Crystal
Feb 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
So disappointed! Most of this collection is greatly distorting scripture!! The writers are taking verses terribly out of context and some seem mentally disturbed. Good grief! Pretty covered book will go in the trash. The only handful of good readings can't save it.
I bought this months ago and looked forward to reading it during Lent season. Now I look forward to burning it in the weekend's bonfire.
Olivia
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely book of substantive writings and reflections on Easter. I will admit that I like their advent book better, but this is a great touchstone to come back to again and again.
Create With Joy
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you want to deepen your spiritual life and reflect on the mystery and miracle of Christ’s death and resurrection – then consider Bread And Wine – Readings For Lent And Easter for your personal devotional time!

Bread And Wine is a collection of 72 readings from a wide spectrum of classic and contemporary authors who share their thoughts on the following themes:

* Invitation

In case you are wondering why there are 72 readings since there
Jen
Jul 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
some of the readings I enjoyed more than others, but overall, a worthwhile book. Will add more quotes as I have time.

Some gems so far...

Beneath Thy Cross- Christina Rossetti
Am I a stone, and not a sheep,
That I can stand, O Christ, beneath thy cross,
To number drop by drop Thy Blood's slow loss,
And yet not weep?

Not so those women loved
Who with exceeding grief lamented Thee;
Not so fallen Peter weeping bitterly;
Not so the thief was moved;

Not so the Sun and Moon
Which hid their faces in a
Patty
The folks that put this devotional together did a great job. There is a wide variety of authors and subjects from Kathleen Norris through Muggeridge to some folks I have never read before.

This is the third year I have used this book for my Lenten devotions. So far it hasn't gotten old. There are some devotions that I remember from year to year, but that does not affect the impact that the whole collection has.

Every year I read and learn something new. I would recommend this to anyone who is
J. Ewbank
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-good-read, religion
This is an excellent book for Lent and Easter. It is a collection of essays written by many Chrisitan masters. It provides one with an exceellent breadth of devotions and throughts for the season. It is a useful book for the individual as well as for a group. Happy to have this book in my library.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" and "To Whom It May Concern"
Conrad
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A broad collection of writings from a wide variety of Christian authors covering six sections: Invitation, Temptation, Passion, Crucifixion, Resurrection and New Life. Great for daily devotional reading. I think my favorite essay in the whole book was Malcolm Muggeridge's 'Impending Resurrection' - excellent!
Stewart
May 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity
A wonderful Lenten devotional. While there are some stellar essays in here, there are a few duds as well. It seems like the editor aimed a little too broadly to really create a coherent presentation, but overall it's worth the time.
Jill
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I really enjoyed some of these selections, but others were too theologically incorrect for me to find any value.
Shasta
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful book of devotionals for the Lent and Easter season! I highly recommend this one to you all.
Connie
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For 2018, I wanted to vary my use of devotionals. Instead of picking one that was 365 days, I plan to find some 30 days, 90 days, or certain Christian Holiday themed ones. Since this book has some of my all-time favorite Christian writers, and the writings were chosen for Lent and beyond, it was an easy choice.

I really appreciated that the readings chosen were serious and gave me a lot to think about. There are some devotionals out there that seem so uninspired, not really saying a thing that
Kiri Dawn
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This is such a hard book to rate. With 72 chapters from 72 different authors, there were 5 star moments that had me reveling in the beauty of Christ's sacrifice and love, 4 star chapters where I pondered anew the grace and glory of our Lord, 3 star segments where the message was good but the writing was just "okay", and 1 star portions where the teaching was borderline heretical.

I think this is a book I'd like to revisit in a few years with a pencil. I'm not much of an annotator, but I can
Danielle
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith-soul-love
As with the companion collection of Advent readings, a nice compendium with a wide variety of writers. It’s inevitable that not every reading will be a slam dunk with each reader (especially with 72 different readings in this book) but I enjoyed and appreciated much of what I read. I did note with interest a very clear pacifist leaning in multiple (3+) essays- a view certainly not broadly accepted as a definite implication of orthodox Christian theology.
Robyn Winters
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting selection of readings, more varied than one might think for the type of book it is. For the record, it isn't by C.S. Lewis - he is one of the many contributing authors. Some of the selections did have a distinctly political flavor, while others were downright agenda-d, but many were thoughtful and very appropriate for all times of the Christian year.
April
Jun 07, 2019 marked it as didnt-finish
Started reading this for Lent but the early essays in the collection did not encourage me to continue, which is a shame. As I own this I'll likely try again next year as there are some big names in this work.
Jan1243
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book for several years and never make it through all of Lent and Easter. Finally made it! Enjoyed immensely except for the social justice/peace rallying readings. I hope to read it again next year.
Jenny Wood
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent devotional for Lent. Have to return to the library but am thinking about buying this volume (and its Advent counterpart) for future years!
Roberta
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved these devotional readings because they challenged me to see past our current culture to what it really means to live a life that embraces all that Jesus taught and what the cross means for us.
Ben Fredrick
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My wife and I read this together, one chapter each morning, and then reflected on it. It's full of great, challenging, encouraging writing.
Maria Koshute
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful collection of meditations and reflections. Highly recommend.
Eric Gilchrest
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great collection of short essays by famous Christian thinkers and artists. All of my favorite authors combined together into a devotional reading for the seasons of Lent and Easter.
Valerie
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was determined to read book through the Lenten/Easter season this year. What a blessing. Thank you for recommending it Shasta. I finished it Shad! ...more
Tamara Dahling
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion, non-fiction
Great writing for Lent & Easter.
Shannon
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-faith
This was a great reader for Lent & most of Easter. The various authors came from many different faith traditions. While most were nonfiction, the few fiction readings were appreciated.
Dave Pettengill
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book for Lenten and Easter reading. So many wonderful authors, poets, pastors, activists and more sharing incredible truths about our Savior. I would highly recommend this book.
Tony Wesley
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Provided a great framework for daily reflections during this critical preparation period before Easter.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Behold the Spirit: A Study in the Necessity of Mystical Religion
  • Resident Aliens: Life in the Christian Colony
  • The Heart's Time: A Poem a Day for Lent and Easter
  • The Wounded Healer: Ministry in Contemporary Society
  • Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places: A Conversation in Spiritual Theology (Spiritual Theology #1)
  • Amazing Grace: A Vocabulary of Faith
  • Parenting Teens with Love and Logic: Preparing Adolescents for Responsible Adulthood
  • Contemplative Prayer
  • Devotional Classics: Selected Readings for Individuals and Groups
  • Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals

Clive Staples Lewis was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge