Start by marking “Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter” as Want to Read:
Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter

Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  686 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Though Easter is often trivialized by the culture at large, it is still the high point of the religious calendar for millions of people around the world. And for most of them, there can be no Easter without Lent, the season that leads up to it.

A time for self-denial, soul-searching, and spiritual preparation, Lent is traditionally observed by daily reading and reflection.
Published November 3rd 2014 by Plough Publishing House (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Bread and Wine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bread and Wine

Ashley
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christ-following
Now, this collection made me dig deep.

These 72 readings—divided into themes of invitation, temptation, the passion, the crucifixion, the resurrection, and new life—are best read one at a time, with plenty of time in between for meditation.

The writers include G.K. Chesterton, Wendell Berry, N.T. Wright, John Stott, Dorothy Sayers, C.S. Lewis, Mother Teresa, Christina Rossetti, Oswald Chambers, Saint Augustine, Kierkegaard, Bonhoeffer, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, and a whole host of others. (There are m
Rachel Dawson
I read the Christmas edition of this book back during the Advent season, and loved it. This one was no exception -- it's such a fantastic collection of short writings from MANY acclaimed Christian writers, speakers, and thinkers. I loved the progression of the pieces throughout the Lent season, and loved that it didn't just end on Easter Sunday but continued for a few weeks beyond. This is an excellent companion to any Lent study or just as a standalone book to read throughout the season as well ...more
Elizabeth
This is a lovely book of daily devotions for Lent and Easter. I have really enjoyed reading it each morning.
Faith
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bread and Wine is a collection of seventy-two readings spanning all the themes of Lent and Easter.
There are poems, prayers, meditations, excerpts from sermons and essays and lengthy theological tomes.

The authors come from all over the world, from all ages and times.

There is Kahlil Gibran, an early 20th century Lebanese poet raised as a Maronite Catholic.
There is George MacDonald, a Scottish fantasy author and minister in the 1800s.
There is Ernesto Cardenal, a Nicaraguan poet and cultural ac
Create With Joy
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you want to deepen your spiritual life and reflect on the mystery and miracle of Christ’s death and resurrection – then consider Bread And Wine – Readings For Lent And Easter for your personal devotional time!

Bread And Wine is a collection of 72 readings from a wide spectrum of classic and contemporary authors who share their thoughts on the following themes:

* Invitation

In case you are wondering why there are 72 readings since there ar
Jen
Jul 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
some of the readings I enjoyed more than others, but overall, a worthwhile book. Will add more quotes as I have time.

Some gems so far...

Beneath Thy Cross- Christina Rossetti
Am I a stone, and not a sheep,
That I can stand, O Christ, beneath thy cross,
To number drop by drop Thy Blood's slow loss,
And yet not weep?

Not so those women loved
Who with exceeding grief lamented Thee;
Not so fallen Peter weeping bitterly;
Not so the thief was moved;

Not so the Sun and Moon
Which hid their faces in a sta
Patty
The folks that put this devotional together did a great job. There is a wide variety of authors and subjects from Kathleen Norris through Muggeridge to some folks I have never read before.

This is the third year I have used this book for my Lenten devotions. So far it hasn't gotten old. There are some devotions that I remember from year to year, but that does not affect the impact that the whole collection has.

Every year I read and learn something new. I would recommend this to anyone who is int
Crystal
Feb 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
So disappointed! Most of this collection is greatly distorting scripture!! The writers are taking verses terribly out of context and some seem mentally disturbed. Good grief! Pretty covered book will go in the trash. The only handful of good readings can't save it.
I bought this months ago and looked forward to reading it during Lent season. Now I look forward to burning it in the weekend's bonfire.
J. Ewbank
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-good-read, religion
This is an excellent book for Lent and Easter. It is a collection of essays written by many Chrisitan masters. It provides one with an exceellent breadth of devotions and throughts for the season. It is a useful book for the individual as well as for a group. Happy to have this book in my library.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" and "To Whom It May Concern"
Conrad
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A broad collection of writings from a wide variety of Christian authors covering six sections: Invitation, Temptation, Passion, Crucifixion, Resurrection and New Life. Great for daily devotional reading. I think my favorite essay in the whole book was Malcolm Muggeridge's 'Impending Resurrection' - excellent!
Shasta
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful book of devotionals for the Lent and Easter season! I highly recommend this one to you all.
Connie
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For 2018, I wanted to vary my use of devotionals. Instead of picking one that was 365 days, I plan to find some 30 days, 90 days, or certain Christian Holiday themed ones. Since this book has some of my all-time favorite Christian writers, and the writings were chosen for Lent and beyond, it was an easy choice.

I really appreciated that the readings chosen were serious and gave me a lot to think about. There are some devotionals out there that seem so uninspired, not really saying a thing that h
Robyn Winters
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting selection of readings, more varied than one might think for the type of book it is. For the record, it isn't by C.S. Lewis - he is one of the many contributing authors. Some of the selections did have a distinctly political flavor, while others were downright agenda-d, but many were thoughtful and very appropriate for all times of the Christian year.
Jan1243
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book for several years and never make it through all of Lent and Easter. Finally made it! Enjoyed immensely except for the social justice/peace rallying readings. I hope to read it again next year.
Joyce Wolcott
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book for Lent and Easter! I'm a slow reader, so only now finishing it, but it was well worth the time. I will put it on my shelf for this coming Lent and Easter.
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Challenging devotional.
Tony Wesley
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Provided a great framework for daily reflections during this critical preparation period before Easter.
Eric Gilchrest
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great collection of short essays by famous Christian thinkers and artists. All of my favorite authors combined together into a devotional reading for the seasons of Lent and Easter.
Lauren
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars*

I liked this collection more than the collection for Advent.
Shannon
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-faith
This was a great reader for Lent & most of Easter. The various authors came from many different faith traditions. While most were nonfiction, the few fiction readings were appreciated.
Bill
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some very good readings mixed in with some readings that seem to lean to the left theologically.
Roberta
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved these devotional readings because they challenged me to see past our current culture to what it really means to live a life that embraces all that Jesus taught and what the cross means for us.
Kristin
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book. A gift.
Tamara Dahling
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great writing for Lent & Easter.
Dave Pettengill
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book for Lenten and Easter reading. So many wonderful authors, poets, pastors, activists and more sharing incredible truths about our Savior. I would highly recommend this book.
Rebecca Peters
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful collection of essays from some of the world’s greatest theologians to help deepen my understanding of the Lent season. Challenging and lovely.
Hannah
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best collection of Christian writers and thinkers thoughts on all things lent and Easter.
C.E. Hart
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: devotional
…And thus we rust Life’s iron chain degraded and alone: and some men curse, and some men weep, and some men make no moan: but God’s eternal Laws are kind and break the heart of stone. ~Oscar Wilde (The Ballad of Reading Gaol)

Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter, is a book of daily meditations that encourage us to reflect on obstacles in our lives, strengthen our faith, and prepare our hearts for Easter.

This collection of seventy-two readings is grouped into six themes: Invitation, Tempta
Julius McCarter
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I recently reviewed Plough Publishing's Watch for the Light Advent and Christmas devotional. This collection is a sequel to that devotional. And it's simply the best I've seen.

With the same theological diversity and literary complexity, Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter is a beautifully-written, spiritually-deep, theologically-challenging and ecumenically-diverse collection. This is the Lent and Easter devotional that I'll return to year after year.

The collection of readings is itse
John Sheehan
May 28, 2016 rated it liked it
So many authors; so much wisdom and knowledge, how could one not love this book taking one down the path of amazing people who have been touched by a loving and living God like just one author in this book whom I just love his lively words is John Stott; saying,

I could never myself believe in God, if it were not for the cross. The only God I believe in is the one Nietzsche ridiculed as “God on the Cross.” In the real world of pain, how could one worship a God who was immune to it? I have entered
  • Making All Things New: An Invitation to the Spiritual Life
  • The Sacredness of Questioning Everything
  • Practicing Resurrection: A Memoir of Work, Doubt, Discernment, and Moments of Grace
  • The Attentive Life: Discerning God's Presence in All Things
  • Disquiet Time: Rants and Reflections on the Good Book by the Skeptical, the Faithful, and a Few Scoundrels
  • The Magnificent Defeat
  • The Divine Hours (Volume Two): Prayers for Autumn and Wintertime: A Manual for Prayer
  • Wisdom Distilled from the Daily: Living the Rule of St. Benedict Today
  • Life with God: Reading the Bible for Spiritual Transformation
  • Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White: Thoughts on Religion, Morality, and Politics
  • Celtic Daily Prayer: Prayers and Readings From the Northumbria Community
  • Letters from the Land of Cancer
  • New Monasticism: What It Has to Say to Today's Church
  • Firstlight: The Early Inspirational Writings of Sue Monk Kidd
  • Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places: A Conversation in Spiritual Theology (Spiritual Theology #1)
  • Making Room: Recovering Hospitality as a Christian Tradition
  • Jesus Freak: Feeding Healing Raising the Dead
  • The Word, the Name, the Blood

CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature
More about C.S. Lewis

• The Millionaire Fastlane
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99