Start by marking “Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter” as Want to Read:
Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter

Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter

Though Easter is often trivialized by the culture at large, it is still the high point of the religious calendar for millions of people around the world. And for most of them, there can be no Easter without Lent, the season that leads up to it.

A time for self-denial, soul-searching, and spiritual preparation, Lent is traditionally observed by daily reading and reflection.
Published November 3rd 2014 by Plough Publishing House (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Bread and Wine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bread and Wine

Start your review of Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter
Ashley
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christ-following
Now, this collection made me dig deep.

These 72 readings—divided into themes of invitation, temptation, the passion, the crucifixion, the resurrection, and new life—are best read one at a time, with plenty of time in between for meditation.

The writers include G.K. Chesterton, Wendell Berry, N.T. Wright, John Stott, Dorothy Sayers, C.S. Lewis, Mother Teresa, Christina Rossetti, Oswald Chambers, Saint Augustine, Kierkegaard, Bonhoeffer, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, and a whole host of others. (There are m
Rachel A.  Dawson
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read the Christmas edition of this book back during the Advent season, and loved it. This one was no exception -- it's such a fantastic collection of short writings from MANY acclaimed Christian writers, speakers, and thinkers. I loved the progression of the pieces throughout the Lent season, and loved that it didn't just end on Easter Sunday but continued for a few weeks beyond. This is an excellent companion to any Lent study or just as a standalone book to read throughout the season as well ...more
Elizabeth
This is a lovely book of daily devotions for Lent and Easter. I have really enjoyed reading it each morning.
Luke Baker
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Best Lent resource I have ever come across! Over 70 thoughtful and challenging reflections written by heroes of the Christian faith. Will definitely try to make it a practice to go through this many Lenten seasons ahead.
Crystal
Feb 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
So disappointed! Most of this collection is greatly distorting scripture!! The writers are taking verses terribly out of context and some seem mentally disturbed. Good grief! Pretty covered book will go in the trash. The only handful of good readings can't save it.
I bought this months ago and looked forward to reading it during Lent season. Now I look forward to burning it in the weekend's bonfire.
Mwrogers
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of essays by many, many different Christians from different eras gathered together as devotional readings for Lent. If started on Ash Wednesday, it will continue long past Easter as there are more writings than days of Lent. I originally purchased it because it came up as a CS Lewis book and later realized he was just one of many of the authors. It is very good. Some of the authors I don’t agree with and others challenged me to dive deeper into stories I’ve read over an ...more
I think I have understood a lot more than I did last year
Create With Joy
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you want to deepen your spiritual life and reflect on the mystery and miracle of Christ’s death and resurrection – then consider Bread And Wine – Readings For Lent And Easter for your personal devotional time!

Bread And Wine is a collection of 72 readings from a wide spectrum of classic and contemporary authors who share their thoughts on the following themes:

* Invitation

In case you are wondering why there are 72 readings since there ar
Jen
Jul 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
some of the readings I enjoyed more than others, but overall, a worthwhile book. Will add more quotes as I have time.

Some gems so far...

Beneath Thy Cross- Christina Rossetti
Am I a stone, and not a sheep,
That I can stand, O Christ, beneath thy cross,
To number drop by drop Thy Blood's slow loss,
And yet not weep?

Not so those women loved
Who with exceeding grief lamented Thee;
Not so fallen Peter weeping bitterly;
Not so the thief was moved;

Not so the Sun and Moon
Which hid their faces in a sta
Patty
The folks that put this devotional together did a great job. There is a wide variety of authors and subjects from Kathleen Norris through Muggeridge to some folks I have never read before.

This is the third year I have used this book for my Lenten devotions. So far it hasn't gotten old. There are some devotions that I remember from year to year, but that does not affect the impact that the whole collection has.

Every year I read and learn something new. I would recommend this to anyone who is int
J. Ewbank
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-good-read, religion
This is an excellent book for Lent and Easter. It is a collection of essays written by many Chrisitan masters. It provides one with an exceellent breadth of devotions and throughts for the season. It is a useful book for the individual as well as for a group. Happy to have this book in my library.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" and "To Whom It May Concern"
Conrad
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A broad collection of writings from a wide variety of Christian authors covering six sections: Invitation, Temptation, Passion, Crucifixion, Resurrection and New Life. Great for daily devotional reading. I think my favorite essay in the whole book was Malcolm Muggeridge's 'Impending Resurrection' - excellent!
Stewart
May 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity
A wonderful Lenten devotional. While there are some stellar essays in here, there are a few duds as well. It seems like the editor aimed a little too broadly to really create a coherent presentation, but overall it's worth the time.
Jill
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I really enjoyed some of these selections, but others were too theologically incorrect for me to find any value.
Shasta
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful book of devotionals for the Lent and Easter season! I highly recommend this one to you all.
Olivia
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely book of substantive writings and reflections on Easter. I will admit that I like their advent book better, but this is a great touchstone to come back to again and again.
Jennifer Fertig
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is broken into VI sections. I “finished” Section I: Invitation. Each of the six sections has about 12-15 readings. One could easily read all or most of these reading during Lent (one per day) and then have a few remaining beyond Easter. Sections II-VI are as follows: Temptation, Passion, Crucifixion, Resurrection, and New Life. In Section I there was a sampling of many writers I had never read before (Soren Kierkegaard, Thomas a Kempis, Thomas Merton), some I had read (Oswald Chambers, ...more
Connie
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For 2018, I wanted to vary my use of devotionals. Instead of picking one that was 365 days, I plan to find some 30 days, 90 days, or certain Christian Holiday themed ones. Since this book has some of my all-time favorite Christian writers, and the writings were chosen for Lent and beyond, it was an easy choice.

I really appreciated that the readings chosen were serious and gave me a lot to think about. There are some devotionals out there that seem so uninspired, not really saying a thing that h
Kiri Dawn
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This is such a hard book to rate. With 72 chapters from 72 different authors, there were 5 star moments that had me reveling in the beauty of Christ's sacrifice and love, 4 star chapters where I pondered anew the grace and glory of our Lord, 3 star segments where the message was good but the writing was just "okay", and 1 star portions where the teaching was borderline heretical.

I think this is a book I'd like to revisit in a few years with a pencil. I'm not much of an annotator, but I can defin
Rachel
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Great collection of readings to accompany you through the seasons of Lent and Easter. I really like how this was organized into different sections around the themes of invitation, temptation, passion, crucifixion, resurrection, and new life.
Not every reading was profound and memorable, but overall it's a great mix of voices and gave me some words and new thoughts to ponder each day.
The texts that really stood out to me were the selections by Kierkegaard, BBT, Henri Nouwen, Morton Kelsey, Buech
Danielle
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith-soul-love
As with the companion collection of Advent readings, a nice compendium with a wide variety of writers. It’s inevitable that not every reading will be a slam dunk with each reader (especially with 72 different readings in this book) but I enjoyed and appreciated much of what I read. I did note with interest a very clear pacifist leaning in multiple (3+) essays- a view certainly not broadly accepted as a definite implication of orthodox Christian theology.
Bette Sohm
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Lenten + devotional, sort of. 72 readings from classic theologians, including C.S. Lewis, G.K. Chesterton, Madeleine L'Engle and more. Some are very good, some rather dry for my taste. Writers chosen span from St. Augustine (354-430) to Barbara Cawthorne Crafton and Barbara Brown Taylor, both born in 1951. A couple of others born in the 50s. Mostly US or Western Europe, but a few Asians and one Central American.
Robyn Winters
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting selection of readings, more varied than one might think for the type of book it is. For the record, it isn't by C.S. Lewis - he is one of the many contributing authors. Some of the selections did have a distinctly political flavor, while others were downright agenda-d, but many were thoughtful and very appropriate for all times of the Christian year.
Nicole
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a great wonderful collection by so many Christians that varied in discipline, vocation, and denomination. I really loved it and though I began it for the season of lent so much translated over to this new and strange season of Covid19, it is hard to explain or articulate but it felt timely. This is one I highly recommend and thus far Plough publishing has not disappointed.
Jan1243
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book for several years and never make it through all of Lent and Easter. Finally made it! Enjoyed immensely except for the social justice/peace rallying readings. I hope to read it again next year.
April
Jun 07, 2019 marked it as didnt-finish
Started reading this for Lent but the early essays in the collection did not encourage me to continue, which is a shame. As I own this I'll likely try again next year as there are some big names in this work.
Julia
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great companion for the Lenten and Easter seasons. As per usual with compiled books, some authors spoke to me more than others. I haven’t finished Bread and Wine yet, but feel I’ve read enough to say that I’ll certainly pick it up again in a future season.
Allison Turner
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
There is something for everyone in this book. What I liked and disliked most about the book are the same: that it features many writers/denominations that I otherwise would not have chosen to read. I will turn back to these essays year after year.
Aaron Smith
May 09, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a difficult book to read, essays, poems and writings regarding the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. Themes were to know our part in causing Jesus’ death, need to love others, the cost of forgiveness the effects forgiveness can have on a life and the unconditional love of God.

Tony Wesley
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Provided a great framework for daily reflections during this critical preparation period before Easter.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Supper of the Lamb: A Culinary Reflection
  • Exciting Times
  • The Word in the Wilderness
  • Placemaker: Cultivating Places of Comfort, Beauty, and Peace
  • Try Softer: A Fresh Approach to Move Us out of Anxiety, Stress, and Survival Mode--and into a Life of Connection and Joy
  • Wait with Me: Meeting God in Loneliness
  • Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday Life
  • Revelations of Divine Love
  • A World Lost
  • Kilmeny of the Orchard
  • The Moment of Tenderness
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography
  • The 40-Day Sugar Fast: Where Physical Detox Meets Spiritual Transformation

Clive Staples Lewis was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge