Start by marking “June Dreams (Summer, #1)” as Want to Read:
June Dreams (Summer, #1)

June Dreams

(Summer #1)

Summer Smith is ready for a once-in-a-lifetime summer. She left her small town in Minnesota for the Florida Keys, where the sun is scorching, the water is brilliant blue, and the guys are as plentiful as the hot white sand. By sunset of her first day, Summer has met three of them--Adam, who's handsome and rich; Diver, the hippie; and Seth, Mr. Right, but has a girlfriend.
Published June 1st 1995 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about June Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about June Dreams

Start your review of June Dreams (Summer, #1)
N
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, 1990s-lit, fiction
How's my mental health? Well, I'm re-reading my favourite books from when I was 13, sooo... NOT GREAT, BOB.

Summer Can't Choose, also published as June Dreams and bundled as Beach Blondes (wowww, what a selection of terrible titles! the 90s!) is perfect YA escapism. It follows adorably-naive Minnesotan teenager Summer as she moves to the Florida Keys for a summer and encounters a veritible cornucopia of eligible bachelors (some of whom may not actually be bachelors and (view spoiler)
Brittney
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
These books are the reason I read today! I first picked it up as something to read for our silent reading in high school and ended up reading almost all of them by the end of that month. I LOVE LOVE LOVE these books! Hmm... I actually think I'll re-read them now!
Lindsey
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I used to read these books when I was a teenager. This one instantly got me hooked and I couldn't wait to read the rest. Pretty sure they're still sitting in my parent's basement. I think they may need to make a reappearance this summer... time to reread the series perhaps. :)
Akilah
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, 59
Revisiting books I loved as a teen (hot tip: this has been reissued as Beach Blondes: June Dreams / July's Promise / August Magic).

Again, Katherine Applegate is the queen of the teen soap opera in book form. Great characters as always. I mean, Diana, Marquez, and Diver are perennial faves. Plus, Seth looks like Stone from General Hospital! Summer mentions the Quartermaines! So basically, this took me back to when I was also obsessed with GH. (What are the updated references? Never mind. I don't
S.T. Williams
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A piece of my childhood.
I loved these books so much as a kid. I think my first ever official book boyfriend was Diver. I was obsessed with these stories and the idea of moving to the Florida Keys falling for 3 different hotties making a super cool best friend and just living my best life.
Looking at this cover now is just a wistful piece of my past. If there was a time capsule of my life this book would be in it.
Johanna
OMG! I read this about 12 or so years ago.... Good Memories. I thought this series was the best ever at 15 or 16 years old! Maybe I'll re-read it for old times sake!
Alexandra
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it

oh my GOD. i had no idea this series existed until i found the first 6 or so at a library sale and picked up all of them on a whim.
i’ve had them lying around for awhile and was actually going to donate them BACK to the library for lack of interest but something made me start this one, just to see. and I AM HOOKED.

yes it’s for young adults and yes it was published in 1995...and i think that’s what made it so good actually lmao

so the gist of the book is that summer smith is an only child from col
Sati Marie Frost
I loved Katherine Applegate when I was a teen and pre-teen, and Making Waves (UK) was my favourite out of the Applegate series that I read. I haven't read any of the books for several years, but I'm happy to say that they hold up quite well, even years later.

Summer Can't Choose is the first in an eight-book (I think) series set in the Florida Keys. Summer Smith is a sweet, wholesome Minnesotan who, on one of the worst days of winter, receives an invitation to spend the summer in Crab Claw Key, F
Meg
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Beachy readzzzz
Katsumi
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it
To read this review and others, go to www.myteenreads.blogspot.com

This book is about Summer, who hails from Minnesota, who comes down to live in Florida with her aunt and cousin for the summer. On the plane a lady tells her about three boys she will meet. One will seem to be dangerous, one will seem to be right, and one will seem to be mysterious. With that in mind, she meets 3 guys: Diver, Adam, and Seth. Summer tries to figure out her relationships with them as well as with her cousin Diana, w
Sabrina
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was better than I expected. I thought it was just an easy read about summer. The fun times and boys. There is actually some suspense towards the end.So I'm excited to read the next book, July's Promise.
Cathy
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teenagers
Loved this Series as a teenager! Read it as the Making Waves series. Again like the her other teen books, they had awful names up but great story lines and complex characters - a great way to get teens reading and understand certain things int he world.
Kharissa Villamor
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This day should be.
Dana
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read the (first) three books over and over. I only just now realized there were more. Teen dramas were my fav at the time
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, fiction
Another brilliant Katherine Applegate series!
Maggy Lander
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this book a couple of years ago and I just needed to revisit being a young teen again with excited about falling in love. It was nice to visit memory lane.
Angela
Nov 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite books from when I was a teenager. It was the perfect beach read for a teenage girl.
Brittany
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
These were the best books! I need to search around the house to see if I can find my old copies. Wonder if they are on Kindle? Doubt it... It was almost 20 years ago.
Rachel
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this series as a pre-teen. Maybe it was aimed at an older audience but I loved it. I don't think there was anything in there that was unsuitable. Great series for young teens nonetheless.
Stephanie  D
83/100 More then a summer read.Pick it up if you have a chance :)
Kylene
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I read this when I was a teenager. One of my all-time favorite series.
Hillary Johnsen
rated it did not like it
Feb 25, 2013
Andrew Clendening
Nov 21, 2016

• Open Road Summer
  • Say Anything
  • #AllIWantForChristmas (#BestFriendsForever, #4.5)
  • #BreakingTheRules (#BestFriendsForever, #5)
  • #LoveToHateThatBoy
  • #TheBoyfriendDare (#BestFriendsForever, #4)
  • Us at the Beach
  • All I Need
  • Breaking the Rules of Revenge
  • The Playmaker (Big Play, #1)
  • There You'll Find Me
  • My Hero Next Door (Lyrics of Love #1)
  • True to You (Rumor Has It, #2)
  • Right Girl Wrong Timing (Offsides #3)
  • Heart Shaped Lock (Rumor Has It, #3)
  • Perfectly You (Perfect #2)
  • Right Text Wrong Number (Offsides, #1)
  • Right Gift Wrong Day (Offsides, 1.5)
Katherine Applegate is the author of The One and Only Ivan, winner of the 2013 Newbery Medal. Her novel Crenshaw spent over twenty weeks on the New York Times children's bestseller list, and her first middle-grade stand-alone novel, the award-winning Home of the Brave, continues to be included on state reading lists, summer reading lists, and class reading lists.

Katherine has written three picture

Summer (8 books)
  • July's Promise (Summer, #2)
  • August Magic (Summer, #3)
  • Spring Break (Summer, #4)
  • Sand, Surf, and Secrets (Summer, #5)
  • Rays, Romance, and Rivalry (Summer, #6)
  • Beaches, Boys, and Betrayal (Summer #7)
  • Sun-Kissed Christmas (Summer #8)