Start by marking “The Shadow Reigns (Witch-Hunter, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Reigns (Witch-Hunter, #2)

The Shadow Reigns

(Witch-Hunter #2)

The world has been thrown into darkness by the Shadow Witch's revolution. The witch-hunters are scattered, but still strong.

The race is now on to gather allies and win the war. New enemies will arise; loyalties will be pushed to the limit.

And an important question will be answered: can a witch-hunter that practices magic ever be trusted, or will he be persecuted?
It is
Published December 7th 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Reigns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Reigns

Start your review of The Shadow Reigns (Witch-Hunter, #2)
Miranda Reads
description

"The witches have us surrounded."
Mrs. Astley blinked..."How very inconvenient, I've just made a pot of tea."
After barely surviving his most recent battle, George "Hunter" Astley must contend with a myriad of problems.

His body is in shambles and his heart in pieces.
No, it had been worse. The woman he loved had turned out to be the Shadow Witch.
Every minute he wastes on recovery is another that Sophie, who turned out to be the shadow witch, has to plan her next move.

He has
TeaAndBooks
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Firstly, a HUGE thank you to the wonderful author who sent me a review e-book of this novel!

Characters: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Style: 5/5
Originality: 5/5

This is the second book in the Witch-Hunter trilogy and it couldnt be better!
We continue with the story of the Witch-Hunters and the war against the witches. We learn about the tyrannical reign of the Shadow Witch. But, theres a twist- we learn about the power of love, whether it can conquer all and whether love is always right, especially if this love

Kitt
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this series, but I wish there wasn't such a long wait between books. This book is so good, but heart-breaking. too. A slower pace gave me the chance to feel like I really knew everyone. I was a bit surprised at the end. I don't want to give anything away, but not everyone I had really come to love survives.

After the rise of the shadow witch Sophie, the world is plunged into darkness, technology destroyed, and the witch hunters scattered. Hunter and his remaining allies
Tim Trent
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The pace from volume 1 remains. This is a good volume 2 in that we do not 'need' volume one, but we benefit from it. The introduction is a brief 'story so far', which is good, both for the reader and technically. The ending is couplete enough but attracts us to volume 3.

I'm not sure, now, who is the enemy. I see the story pitched as the persecution of a minority. We are on the side of one minority against the minority on the other side. Who is right? Is anyone right?

Come to that, might Mrs
Merril Anil
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Enticing read

First of all a huge thanks to the author for providing me with the copy of the book.

I had fallen for the series right from the first page of the first book, The Shadow Rises. In fact I had fallen in love with the series so much that I had begged her for the sequels but it took a long time for me to return back to the series and now that I have returned back, all those emotions that made me fall for the book in the first place is back. I realized how much I had missed Hunter, the
L.J. Bus
Regrouping, strategising, some banter and utter turmoil

Since I listened to the audiobook, Ill review that performance as well:
Love that the same narrator tells the second book. Lovely portray of the accents, cant judge the accuracy one bit, can only tell that its nice hearing a British voice telling a story located in Britain.
All the different voices and accents make this story a joy to listen to. Its a breeze to follow the dialogues.

This book was a bit weird at the beginning for me. For a while
Sharon Lash
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Joscelyn Smith
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great follow up to book one, the Shadow Rises. I really enjoyed the continuing story of Hunter, a bit slower paced than book one but still enjoyable. The characters were very engaging and the storyline kept me interested until the very end and left me in a hurry to read book three.

Lidia
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my review of the audio version as posted on Audible:

The second book in the Witch-Hunter series is dfinitely better and definitely darker than the first one, and it makes you want more... I rated the story in the first one at 3.5 stars, this installment is somewhere between 4.5 and 4.9:)

Hunter and Sophie are now on two opposing sides of the war - both equally powerful, though Hunter is still to learn everything about what he is capable of doing and acting on instinct rather than
Rose English
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-fav-s
Book 73 of my Goodreads Challenge

This is the second reading of this book but this time I bought it from the lovely author when I met her at a book signing I now have the complete series in paperback. They sit on my shelve of all time favourites.

I first read this book in ebook format in 2015 after I could not put down book 1. This time it is all out war between the witches and the witch-hunters but do we know who is friend and who is foe. The world as we know it has been plunged into darkness
Colleen M. Chesebro
The Shadow Reigns begins with a message from Sophie ~ the Shadow Witch, explaining how for hundreds of years the witches were persecuted, and how she was born to free the witches from oppression.

This brings us to where the first book left off, with Hunter and the witch hunters working with the military to head off a war with the Shadow Witch and her kind.

Sophie has finally gained the power she always desired and turned into the Shadow Witch. Theres just one problem shes pregnant with Hunters
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
I received this book for free. I am voluntarily leaving this review and all opinions expressed herein are mine.

This is the second book in the series Witch Hunter. It is not a standalone book and has a cliffhanger ending. The author does provide a summary of the events in book 1 at beginning of this book.

Here, Hunter and his crew are recovering from their last battle with the Shadow Witch. Things did not go well for them so they must formulate a plan where they might have the upperhand in their
Wilmar Luna
The Shadow Reigns is the sequel to book 1 The Shadow Rises in K.S. Marsdens the witch hunter trilogy. Originally, K.S. sent me the digital copy of books 1, 2, and 3 so that I could read them and review them. Unfortunately, without a kindle or tablet, it was impossible for me to read these books in a timely fashion. So, rather than never finish I decided to buy both books so I can read and write the review this author deserves.

She did not disappoint.

The Shadow Rises is a big improvement over
Claire
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
For me the series has highlighted how difficult it can be to identify who is in the right, who is the good guys, it beautifully illustrates that history is written by the victors. While the good guys seem obvious at the beginning of book 1 the further into book 2 I got the less obvious it is.

Both sides do things that are morally questionable and both sides believe passionately that their cause is the right one. As the reader probably supposed to side with the Witch Hunters and yet at times this
Lana
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Have just read this very thrilling book in one sitting. The shadow witch is back and she is still aiming on taking down the whole witch-hunter team. She has had her baby, a son whose father is George Astley the 7th gen witch hunter himself. Sophie has tried to persuade Hunter to join the witches since his newly discovered magical abilities evolved however, he chose the other side, the side he had been trained for as a witch-hunter all his life. Hunter fights with all his might against the ...more
Ashley
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the second story in this series and continues with the awesome characters that Marsden introduced to us before! I really like what she did with the plot twists in this one. I do think there could have been a little more description and slower pacing to get everything in, but overall it's a good story that has a very fun premise!

Carol 27
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the second installment of the Witch-Hunter trilogy we find the world dealing with the catastrophic aftermath of the witches revolution. The remaining witch-hunters and the army form an alliance to plot the downfall of the powerful Shadow Witch and her followers. Hunter and his stalwart companions are tasked with the search for MMC survivors. As Hunter embraces his newly realized anti-magic abilities, will his inexperience with these skills impede their chances for success in the ongoing war? ...more
Laura Martinez
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh Hunter...I love that man. I listened to this series and man it was so good!! It ended too soon!! The battle continues on this book and man you are in for a surprise I think. Ha!
Im very excited and eager for the third book! I hope it comes to audio! Great series!!

I recommend listening to the audio. Its quite fascinating with the accent. #Swoon. I love it.
Deedra
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good follow up to The Shadow Witch.There is so much packed into the 4 hours,you really need to keep up! Jonathan Ip was a fine narrator.I was given this book by the narrator,author or publisher free for an honest review.
Tanya
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
the shadow witch has scattered all the hunters but they are still strong. he is no longer trusted and he has a love which he has to keep hidden. he needs to gain allies so they can fight the next battle. see if they will win this time

Roger
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My fourth read/listen from author K.S. Marsden was well-written and entertaining. Narrator Jonathon Ips British accent made for enjoyable listening. I'll be reading more by her in the future. (RIP Marley January 20, 2014 - July 24, 2018) ...more
Rebecca Waldron
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Didn't see that coming.

Holy crap! Another good one! I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't that! I didn't see that coming! Totally bums me out that some faves in the series are gone.
Jacqueline Jackson
Another Good Book!

This series is amazing! I read the first two books in two days. I'm now on to the third. It is extremely rare for me to read more than one book at a time in a series. That's how good this series is.
Zoltán
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a review copy from the author for an honest review.

This is the second book of the trilogy. While there is a good introduction, it is a direct continuation and should be read only after absolving the first one.

I read the first book, gave it five start and was happy to get my hands on this. The story continues where the previous one finished. The world is in a disarray, the Shadow Witch has the upper hand and the MMC is just the shadow of its former self. (No pun intended :) )

As with
J.C. Brennan
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
K.S. Marsden's The Shadow Rises
It is about a witch hunter who has been called Hunter, though this is no his true name; his name is George. He is a 7th generation witch hunter which makes him powerful, witty, and sharp-edged to a witch and their influences. He is hardcore, staying away from emotions, though he still has them. He is human after all but shrouds his in his work. He protects a girl, Sophie, in the begin of the book but she will come back to haunt him. She ends up wanting to become a
Ayla
Lorraine
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, paranormal
I read the three books in the Witch-Hunter series back to back.
The Shadow Rises drew me in after the first few pages and wouldn't let go so I moved straight onto The Shadow Reigns, quickly followed by The Shadow Falls.
These books now make up one of my favourite trilogies!

The second book in the series starts with Hunter recovering from the revelations and after-effects of book ones' ending. It moves at a slightly slower pace, but with more descriptive writing. The details of the magic make it
Jonel
Sep 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoy Marsdens writing style. She draws you into the story with her inviting yet dense and thought-provoking writing. A sense of darkness winds its way through Marsdens descriptions painting this world in shades of red and grey. Everything is very easy to picture, and the storyline definitely sparks your imagination. The story definitely ends a bit harshly at the ending without being a definite cliff-hanger, leaving you reaching for the next novel in the series.

I quite enjoyed getting
Maryann
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, witches
Greg Thomas
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Shadow Reigns.
Gripping sequel to The Shadow Rises.
K.S Marsden develops the conflict between humans and witches that began in Book 1 (Id recommend reading this prior to The Shadow Reigns as youll be more familiar with the characters and simply enjoy it more). The author uses her ability to create and develop a new team to work alongside Hunter and James and spends some time exploring the relationships that evolve between them, so that at times, the pace of the action slows down, but then,

• Spellbound (Crossbreed, #8; Mageriverse #22)
  • A Ritual of Bone (The Dead Sagas, #1)
  • The Dummies' Guide to Serial Killing: And Other Fantastic Female Fables
  • Deviant King (Royal Elite, #1)
  • Daisy and the Dwarf Dragon (Daisy Crumb Book 1)
  • The Sekhmet Bed (The She-King, #1)
  • Devious: A 9th Circle Prequel Short Story
  • Through the Nethergate
  • Everything Becomes a Poem
  • Omega Rising (Codename Omega, #1)
  • Claimed by Gods (Their Dark Valkyrie #1)
  • Broken Pieces (Broken Pieces, #1)
  • Tea, Anyone? (A Brooke & Abby Cozy Mystery Book 1)
  • With or Without Him
  • Marriage Unarranged
  • Black (Clashing Colors #1)
  • Taboo for You (Love and Family, #1)
  • Dreams of Justice: A Paranormal Mystery
Kelly S. Marsden grew up in Yorkshire, and there were two constants in her life - books and horses.
Graduating with an equine degree from Aberystwyth University, she has spent most of her life since trying to experience everything the horse world has to offer. She is currently settled into a Nutritionist role for a horse feed company in Doncaster, South Yorkshire.
She writes Fantasy stories

Witch-Hunter (3 books)
  • The Shadow Rises (Witch-Hunter, #1)
  • The Shadow Falls (Witch-Hunter, #3)