Start by marking “The Second Tree” as Want to Read:
The Second Tree

The Second Tree

(The Order #1)

WINNER OF THE 2015 BEST INDIE BOOK SHELF UNBOUND NOTABLE INDIE AWARD

Thanks to a drunken accident in western Uganda, Martin and Andrew think they've found the next culinary craze to hit Manhattan's trendy restaurant scene. They're about to find out they've stumbled onto a centuries-old secret that, once unleashed, may be impossible to contain.

Everyone wants something from t
Published July 14th 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Second Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Tree

Charlie - A Reading Machine
7 out of 10

An interesting espionage tale with shadowy government corporations, likeable yet unheroic protagonists and biblical overtones that weaves together nicely to form a quick paced adventure. This is not a story of a lost alien artifact, or an all powerful crystal or some new weapon, it’s a super fruit that gives the person eating it a healing factor on par with Wolverine.

Whilst researching for a Culinary Network, set director Martin takes a stumble in the jungle and finds himself alone, s
John Haynes
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable first book in the Order Series.
The book got off to a quick start and really drew me in. I was invested in the characters and truly interested in what happened to them and where they were headed. The premise was unique and I enjoyed the way John slowly revealed the magic ( and pitfalls) of the fruit. This was a book that made me think and respected my intelligence.
I look forward to Book 2 and the continuation of the saga!
AudioBookReviewer
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My original The Second Tree audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

The bible tells of two trees growing in the Garden of Eden but we only remember one – the one that Adam and Eve partook of removing them forever from the Garden and dooming the rest of the world with evils and mortality.  Martin, an executive on a culinary network, has an accident in Uganda – but he doesn’t come back empty-handed - he brings back fruit.  Andrew, another culinary network employee takes
John Butziger
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
“Greed, exclusivity and rampant, aggressive commercialization are all themes brilliantly explored in Butziger’s brisk narrative…”

“…the fiery final confrontation is a captivating end to the first volume of this mystical-thriller series.”

“An immensely promising start to a new thriller series.”
-Kirkus Reviews
Christopher Doody
I greatly enjoyed reading this book, and think that this is a great start to the series. The description of the Nyoka fruit made me wish it was real, it sounds delicious! I also thought the pacing of plot points was done very well, and set up for a thrilling conclusion. Looking forward to volume 2!
Alexander
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! It was an awesome balance of historical and religious themes. A great read for anyone that likes action and interesting settings. You won't be disappointed.
Lyssa
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book in the audiobook version. Overall, this book is a good find and a terrific listen.
This book, the first in a promising series, had an element of is-it-real?-or-is-it-sci-fi?-ness. I wanted to believe the plot and how amazing the discovery of this fruit was, then some of the healing qualities would just seem too amazing to be true. But, that's what makes the Neoka so amazing. The long description of the history of the fruit's discovery in the middle of the book delayed the
Felisha Caldeira
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved John Butziger's fresh and unique story that takes you around the world and even to Eden. Each chapter built upon the other and kept you intrigued to the very end. Every character was well developed and the story--although fictional--had a realistic feel and knowledgeable background.

Narrator Scott Thomas helps bring this story to it's fullest potential. He does a fine job voicing the multitude of characters as well as the range of ethnicity's, age, and gender. His steady and easy going to
Bob Butziger
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best thrillers to come out this year. John has artfully crafted the spiritual hope of eternal life with tremendous suspense that keeps you spellbound to the very end. It is very contemporary exposing a culture of greed and individualism, competitive brutality, and hope.
Suzan
Dec 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This book was hard for me to get into but once it got going it was good. Very interesting idea.
Ali
Joel Evans
Jul 20, 2014
Mary
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book. It was written by a friend of ours. Looking forward to book two!
Chris
Dec 15, 2015
Karl Youngman
Dec 18, 2017
Let me know your thoughts! 2 9 Aug 24, 2014 07:51AM
As a partner and board member of an innovative advertising technology firm, engineer and entrepreneur John Butziger led teams in areas as diverse as environmental engineering programs, medical device research, and product development. He has worked in Manhattan for more than ten years, travelling internationally to deploy new technology and develop business opportunities. He drew upon his extensiv ...more