Start by marking “Double Cross (FBI: Houston, #2)” as Want to Read:
Double Cross (FBI: Houston, #2)

Double Cross

(FBI: Houston #2)

FBI Agent Laurel Evertson's investigation into a scam targeting the elderly takes an unexpected twist when key evidence leads her to Morton Wilmington, a felon she arrested five years ago on her first undercover assignment. That case has haunted her since, and though she's vowed to forget Wilmington--and what she sacrificed to put him away--he is now her best lead. Houston ...more
Published April 1st 2015 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published March 20th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Double Cross, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double Cross

Start your review of Double Cross (FBI: Houston, #2)
Hannah
4.5
I truly enjoyed the suspense in this fast-paced action story. My favorite character was Abby, the grandmother! She's a force to be reckoned with. (Though it did seem out of character to have her reading Game of Thrones books...ugh.) I loved that she was such an outspoken Christian and so eager to protect her family.

Daniel and Laurel made a good couple and the mystery, as usual for Mills, had so many twists that it's hard to guess the ending. I managed to guess it about 80 pages from the end,
Daphne Self
It took a while for me to really immerse myself into the writing, but once there I finished the book in record time. I enjoy DiAnn Mills' writing style. Her way with words and the ability to string the action and plot together into a tapestry of reading is wonderful.

What I didn't like was that the book didn't hold my attention long enough. The action seemed too bland at times. There were no muscles to the storyline. I expected more in depth description to the action and crime scenes. And maybe a
100 Pages per Hour
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it
After reading the first book in this series I knew I'd enjoy the second book, however, it just didn't have quite as much action as I enjoyed in book one.

Elder abuse is a booming business right now for scammers and is a terrible problem. I was glad to see this brought to light in a setting where people might start to keep a better eye on their bank accounts and those of their older relatives too. However, there were some fairly serious inconsistencies with the banking issues in this story.

I also
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-challenges
Wow! What a suspenseful ride. This story had several main characters & a lot of twists to it. I tried to figure out, like always, who the bad guy was. In this case, you knew who one of the bad guys was, but not the "mastermind". Along with trying to figure out who that was, there was the puzzle that was Mortimer. I wondered about a few people, & ended up being wrong about them. It wasn't until towards the end of the story, that I got it right. There were a few things that didn't jive for me, but ...more
Karen R
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Someone is scamming elderly dementia patients into buying bogus life insurance policies, then bumping them off, and it's got one Houston police officer angry! Forced to work with an independent-minded FBI agent creates a lot of sparks, especially when things start getting really complicated and dangerous. Hard to know who is telling the truth and who to trust.
Dynamic police drama, revs up in action and edge of your seat suspense! Great plot twists and interesting characters kept me guessing rig
Debbie
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
"Double Cross" is a Christian romantic suspense novel. It's the second in a series, but it works as a stand alone novel. There was plenty of suspense and I liked the character Abbey (Miss Marple with a gun), but the author lost me with this book. It's like she left information out that would have helped me follow what was going on.

It all started with the hero being told by his grandfather that he thinks some man got him to sign up for life insurance. (He's unsure because he has Alzheimer's Disea
Tamara Tilley
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, mills-diann
DiAnn Mills does a great job of marrying a crime suspense novel with just enough romance to keep the female reader interested.

FBI Agent Laurel Everston lost not only her partner in her last undercover assignment, but her self-respect as well. Posing as Morton Wilmington’s fiancée, she crossed lines in order to capture him and send him to prison. What did she gain? A death threat from Wilmington and a position in the white collar crimes unit. Now, five years later, as she investigates crimes agai
Loraine
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
RATING: 4.5

FBI Agent Laurel Evertson’s investigation into a scam targeting the elderly takes an unexpected twist when key evidence leads her to Morton Wilmington, a felon she arrested five years ago on her first undercover assignment. Houston Police Officer Daniel Hilton fears his grandparents may be the scammer’s next targets, and he’ll do anything to protect his family―even force interagency cooperation.

I felt this second in DiAnn Mills FBI:Houston series started a little slower than the firs
JoJo Sutis
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you’re looking for a cozy nice romantic read…look elsewhere!
Double Cross is the latest novel in Diann Mills FBI Houston Series is a thrill ride from start to finish. This is my favorite genre and Mills is top notch….I am NEVER disappointed when I pick up one of her books.
I know that I’m about to visit places I’ve never been, see things I’ve never seen and experience dangers I could never face in real life (I’m too much of a chicken!) But in the safety of my cozy chair, I get to live it all th
Jackie Layton
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this story. Lots of twists and turns that will keep you in suspense until the last minute. You won't be disappointed if you decide to read this. ...more
Holly
Sep 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was good, but not what I would consider the best one from DiAnn Mills. I did love the ending.
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action-suspense
No matter how many times I encounter it, I love the example of one person unconditionally loving another, regardless of past mistakes or baggage. It's what Jesus would do and does, but it makes me wonder how good I'd be at it myself.

Laurel has to be living a nightmare. She was undercover, engaged to a criminal, all to put him behind bars. Now he's out and she's being asked to play the part again. The things she does for justice.

Daniel won't let anything happen to his grandparents, the only paren
Emily Loggans
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Book Review: Double Cross
Author: Diann Mills
Genre: Fiction/Romance/Suspense
Publisher: Tyndale
Publication Date: April 1, 2015
Rating: 5 out of 5 (near perfect)
Pros: Great plot, relatable and loveable characters, no technical jargon common to FBI novels
Cons: None

FBI Agent Laurel Evertson’s investigation into a scam targeting the elderly takes an unexpected twist when key evidence leads her to Morton Wilmington, a felon she arrested five years ago on her first undercover assignment. That case has
Gloria
Good suspenseful story line that tackles the question of whether someone who has done unspeakable things can be truly reformed, specifically via Christianity. It is also using a current issue of identity theft and the vulnerability of the elderly. All that is good.

The characters were not particularly believable. Grandma Abby in particular is a lively character, but was also roped into sex trafficking as a child, marries a handsome boy who just happens to become enormously successful, owns ranche
Ellen White
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FBI Agent.Laura doing white collar crimes, after partner got killed when she had been undercover. Now it’s a scam against the elderly of a life insurance policy. A meeting with Daniel and his grandparents. She gets a call from Abby having access to the place while her husband is there, to scout and access things., and she was packing. Will report to her of what she finds, and hush hush to let Daniel know, he wouldn’t like it. Laura goes undercover again, not voluntary with the guy she sent to po ...more
Karen
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cathe Swanson
Dec 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I liked this book a lot! Great characters, with natural emotions, interactions, histories and situations. The Alzheimers disease was protrayed so well! The grandmother's story might have been told a little earlier in the book, to help the reader appreciate her character, but otherwise, she was amazing. I want to be her someday.

I was confused about some of the insurance and banking issues, but that didn't really interfere with my enjoyment of the story.

In the end, the "whodunit" became almost sec
Teresa
Double Cross by Diann Mills is a very thought provoking book dealing with dementia and Alzheimer's patients being the target of scammers. It's so sad to think there are really people that will take advantage of the elderly that way!

My favorite character in this book has to be Abby(Gran)! She is something else! I think if they would have let her in the undercover work, she could have had that case figured out in record time! I recommend this book! If you've ever dealt with Alzheimer patients, it
Melanie
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This book kept me on the edge of my seat. The romance on the other hand left something to be desired. I think it very interesting the Laurel was the one to step back for the relationship before she came to terms with her past. Daniel's character for me was very annoying and unbearable. I got to the point, that if I had to hear about Laurel's nut brown eyes one more time, I was going to scream. ...more
Christine Goodnough
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
DiAnn Mills is a very talented writer to weave a tale this complex and captivating.

Not sure what to think about the pistol-packing grandma angle. Christians in this story obviously haven't embraced a non-resistant approach, but the tale is well told. I even shed a few tears at the end, even realizing earlier on that a certain character would need to die.
Kelly
May 25, 2020 rated it liked it
This was okay. I liked the beginning and all, about the insurance scam and all. But then they started working with the guy Laurel put away. I guess I just liked the parts about the insurance scam the best. And the interaction between the police officer,Daniel and his grandparents the best. But it kept you guessing if the obvious bad guy was really guilty.
Kathy Mizell
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strange Friends

Daniel, Houston Policeman, Laurel, FBI Agent, and Morton Wilmington, newly released prisoner. What do they have in common. Read this book to find out how two of them lead the other one to God. Learn how they become friends or not and just how life can surprise you.
inbedwithbooks
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
My rating: 4.5 stars

An enjoyable read, this book is well-written and keeps you guessing right up through the end. I didn't fall completely in love with the characters, though, and I did find two typos, so it wasn't quite a 5 star book for me. It was a great read, overall. I always enjoy Diann's books.
Susan Robinson
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Again, a very good read from DiAnn Mills. The only criticism would be sometimes there was so much going on that it became confusing or muddled. For example when Thatcher didn't tell the FBI about the setup at Laurel's apartment. But, all in all, a very good story. ...more
Dawn
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great story line! Elder abuse is going on far too much in this country, and scams like the one addressed in the book have got to stop. I found myself liking Morton more and more as the story went along. And Abby....my favorite character of them all! What a hoot she is! I want her to adopt me.
Brenda C. McAllister
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Oh, my!!!!!! What a book!!!!! I can hardly wait to read the next one!!!!! This author has an amazing imagination!!! The plot in this book is just unbelievable!!!! It caused me to gasp more than once!!!
Patrick Cox
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent story from DiAnn Mills. I struggled at times through this book. I guess I have read too many of DiAnns books. If you like crime, mystery, and romance then check out Double Cross.
Abbie
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book showcases DiAnn Mills writing style, a book with drama, faith based hope, choices and decisions that the characters are evaluating, suspense, and romance.
Becca Curtis
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
very predictable. Clean romance/mystery - but not very mysterious. Characters felt stale, and the "conversion" not too believable. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Point of Danger (Triple Threat, #1)
  • Acceptable Risk (Danger Never Sleeps, #2)
  • Lone Witness (Atlanta Justice, #2)
  • Dark Ambitions (Code of Honor, #3)
  • In Too Deep (Dive Team Investigations, #2)
  • Two Reasons to Run (Pelican Harbor #2)
  • No One to Trust (Hidden Identity, #1)
  • Deadly Proof (Atlanta Justice, #1)
  • Breach of Trust (Atlanta Justice, #3)
  • Blind Spot (Chesapeake Valor, #3)
  • Active Defense (Danger Never Sleeps, #3)
  • Sabotaged (Alaskan Courage, #5)
  • Moving Target (Elite Guardians, #3)
  • Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • Dangerous Illusions (Code of Honor, #1)
  • Silenced (Alaskan Courage, #4)
  • One Final Breath (Dive Team Investigations, #3)
  • Buried Secrets (Men of Valor, #1)
DiAnn Mills is a bestselling author who believes her readers should expect an adventure. She weaves memorable characters with unpredictable plots to create action-packed, suspense-filled novels. DiAnn believes every breath of life is someone’s story, so why not capture those moments and create a thrilling adventure?

Her titles have appeared on the CBA and ECPA bestseller lists; won two Christy Awa

FBI: Houston (3 books)
  • Firewall (FBI: Houston, #1)
  • Deadlock (FBI: Houston, #3)

News & Interviews

“When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people. ABRAHAM JOSHUA HESCHEL. Earl” 0 likes
“I worked as a cryptologist, where I decoded puzzles, even thought I can't make the jagged pieces of my own life fit.” 0 likes