Start by marking “Animal Farm” as Want to Read:
Animal Farm

Animal Farm

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  2,449,837 ratings  ·  48,707 reviews
This remarkable book has been described in many ways—as a masterpiece...a fairy story...a brilliant satire...a frightening view of the future.

A devastating attack on the pig-headed, gluttonous and avaricious rulers in an imaginary totalitarian state, it illuminates the range of human experience from love to hate, from comedy to tragedy.

With an Introduction by C.M.
Published 2014 by Arcturus Publishing Limited (first published August 17th 1945)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Farm, please sign up.
Vegard Old Major: Karl Marx
Snowball: Trotsky
Napoleon: Stalin
Humans: The czar, the bourgeoise class, and the Western countries
Michael Donnelly
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  2,449,837 ratings  ·  48,707 reviews

Start your review of Animal Farm
Petra-X
Jun 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, fiction
Amazon's very Orwellian involvement with this book at the end. If Amazon ever partnered Facebook they'd own us.

This is not really a review, but one of those moments where everything that was clear to you suddenly becomes utterly muddied and you really can't say what lies beneath the murky waters although a moment before you were sure you could.

I'm reading Christopher Hitchen's astonishingly percipient and brilliant Arguably: Essays. I read Animal Farm too young to identify the individual animals
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Anne
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only good pig is a dead pig.

description

Yeah, yeah, everyone claims Orwell wrote this as about the Russian Revolution, Stalin, and the rise of Communism.
Pshttt. Whatever.
You know what I think he was really saying?
Beware the Other White Meat!
Ok, maybe not.

description

Look, I know what you're thinking, That pig looks adorable!, but the next thing you know, that piggy is all grown up and stealing your cookies!

description

And you'll let it steal your cookies because Mr. Pig has convinced you that giving up your cookies every
Manny
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A perfect book. People will still be reading this in a thousand years time, when communism is just a footnote.
Claudia Ramírez
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”

Those damn PIGS.

I can't even.
Ahmad Sharabiani
564. Animal Farm, George Orwell
Animal Farm is an allegorical novella by George Orwell, first published in England on 17 August 1945. According to Orwell, the book reflects events leading up to the Russian Revolution of 1917 and then on into the Stalinist era of the Soviet Union. Orwell, a democratic socialist, was a critic of Joseph Stalin and hostile to Moscow-directed Stalinism, an attitude that was critically shaped by his experiences during the Spanish Civil War. The Soviet Union, he
Tessa De Guzman
Aug 26, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: curious children
Funnily enough, i read this book as a child and thought that it really WAS about animals. I remember thinking, Evil Pigs, I'm glad you're bacon in MY world, and Poor Hardworking Horsies, come live on my farm instead. You can have all the hay and makopa you want (sadly, no apples, tropical climate).

I reread it after education spoiled my natural inclinations for fast and absolute punishment of evildoers and eternal rewards for the good. I do find it pleasantly strange that these animals are
Mischenko
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is featured on Shabby Sunday @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2018/...

I read Animal Farm when I was in college and it was one of those reads where you think it’s going to be boring, but it turns out to be a favorite. It’s an allegorical tale representing the Russian Revolution where the characters in the book represent people during this time.

I won’t go into the plot too much, but in a nutshell, this story is about a group of farm animals who rise up against the evil farmer who cares
Merphy Napier
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did NOT expect to love this like I did. I thought it would be one that I would be happy I read but didn't enjoy. Nope. I loved this book. Not only was the message clear and strong, but put in a disturbing way that'll stick with me. It was entertaining as a story alone but that ending packed a very real punch. Loved it.
Ariel
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I first read this in Grade 11 and decided it was my favourite book. I knew a reread needed to happen right away, but it took me four years to finally get around to it when my boyfriend gifted me this beautiful illustrated edition. Animal Farm is a book I often think about and often quote, and it was a bit nerve-wracking to go back to it to see if it actually lived up to everything I had built it up to be. Thankfully, I'm thrilled to say it did.

In many ways it's a little bit underwhelming the
Sid
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL BUT SOME ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS !
In the start, I thought this book would be from the view point of animals; about how they are treated, how they expect to be treated and how man is cruel towards them.
But but but;
I am amazed at how Orwell criticizes the political maneuvers and totalitarian rule, using animals to explain what humans do. The author beautifully portrays the way a revolution is started to stop what is happening and going full circle comes to the same point
Ahmad  Ebaid
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: سياسة, أدب

"I won't read again to this writer", that was my first impression to "ANIMAL FARM".
George Orwell was recommend to me by his two most famous books:"ANIMAL FARM" and "1984", and I had started reading "ANIMAL FARM" first by chance.
Then I though that Orwell, almost, hadn't have something to talk about in his other book; because he "has summarized up all what is happening in the occupied revolutions".
Later, I knew that "1984" was about Dystopian world that occurs after ANIMAL FARM's world. and
Bionic Jean
George Orwell's Animal Farm is undeniably one of the best short novels ever written in the English language. It is a deceptively simple tale, which even older children could read. About an animal uprising, it is written in the style of a fable, and yet it can be read on so many levels. It is clearly both a satire and an allegory, a dystopian tale, and its author George Orwell made no secret of what regime, and which politicians, he was so mercilessly parodying. Yet as with all great novels, it ...more
Dan Schwent
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, 2016-books
Under the leadership of the pigs, the animals of Manor Farm overthrow their human owner and go into business for themselves with all animals doing their part. However, some parts involve a lot less work than others and things quickly change...

I somehow managed to dodge this landmine in high school and the ensuing couple decades. However, I had a few conversations about it at work and decided it was time to give it a read.

Animal Farm is a dystopian tale of revolution and the ensuing government.
Ginger
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Animal Farm is a dystopian tale of revolution and the ensuing government that takes over afterwards. It could easily be a symbolism of most revolutions that occur in history. A new leader comes in and it’s the same as the old leader. Rinse. Repeat.

(Note to self):
Must. Not. Get. Too. Political. With. This. Review.

I absolutely loved this book and the tale of this animal farm should concern anyone that believes in a free-thinking society. All it takes is a revolution, distrust in facts, listening
Lyn
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as formidable as 1984, this modern day fable, though, bears down hard on socialism and even more on the very aspects of our nature that brings power struggles about.

First published in 1945, this allegorical criticism of Stalinist communism is nonetheless still relevant today as a cautionary satire on totalitarianism in general.

Ujjawal Sureka
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star
Genre: Political Satire
Publication Date: August 1945

Love this book.
This book is satiric and humourous. Orwell has depicted the political and civil issues of early Russia in a beautiful way.
His writing is clever and makes the reader find himself very much engaged with the story and at times sympathetic towards the animals, only to realise that it is an allegory and all this had actually happened to people before and such misuse of power and trust still happen all around the world.
Gaurav
George OrwellI got stunned for a while when I finished Animal Farm-a masterpiece from George Orwell- for the novella depicts our society so perfectly- the role of power, how corrupts those who are apex of a social system and eventually they eliminate their competitors, and it happens with almost every social system, it's like a treatise on our society.

Napolean is not inherently evil, Napoleon's subsequent adoption of nearly all of Mr. Jones' principles and after that the animals treat fellow
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
George Orwell leaves absolutely nothing to the imagination. This is a blatant political statement. There’s no reading between the lines in order to ascertain the meaning, it’s all here on the page. After around page twenty it was very obvious how this book would end. History repeats itself and in this case it goes full circle. Nothing changes. And a wise old Donkey was the only one in the piece aware of this. We can presume he has seen it before, though, on a character level he was a bit of an ...more
Manny
"They always call the other side ‘the elite’. Why are they elite? I have a much better apartment than they do. I’m smarter than they are. I’m richer than they are. I became president and they didn’t. And I’m representing the greatest, smartest most loyal best people on Earth – the deplorables, remember that?"

- Donald Trump, June 20 2018

"Four legs good, two legs better!"

- George Orwell, Animal Farm, 1945
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Wow. Everything about this was so clever. I think my mind just exploded.

Around the Year in 52 Books Challenge Notes:
8. A classic with less than 200 pages
Samin
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. It wasn't boring to me at all. I think Orwell did a great job of symbolizing all the injustice that happens in name of an outside force and how simple minded people who do not educate themselves get taken advantage from, be it West for Soviet Russia, America for Iran or Terrorists for the United states.
Barbie
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

My thoughts in a nutshell
There are so many scary and deep thoughts about our society. The most frightening part of the book that Orwell wrote it more than 70 years ago and it is still true. I'm totally speechless. I really adored that Orwell wrote it as a children story, but it is more than a little tale. It is pure sarcasm and truth about our civilization.
This book only 144 pages (Kindle Edition) but it is so powerful. I truly love Animal Farm and I think everybody should read it. George
Fabian
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The inherent evil in Teletubbies. The satanic perversion of one very Disneyfied utopia. Orwell's super scary fairy tale is actually PERFECT. The tenderness in the animals easily translates to that shared by all mankind for itself. And, oh, so easily do modern political players fill the spots of pigs or dogs.

Basically in "A.F." all the little animals contracted serious rabies simultaneously. Who will survive the plague? A.F.=America, now. The fairy story of SHORT MEMORIES & DUPES.

This is the
Trina (Between Chapters)
I read this in high school and hated it because it terrified me.

It still terrifies me.

Read this.
Dita
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I only meant to start listening to this today as I ran around and did errands.

Instead I listened at Costco, the grocery store, the gym and finished as I puttered around putting things away and doing laundry. I couldn't stop!

What brilliant social commentary; Orwell is a genius!
Khush
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

“All animals are equal” is the original commandment – when the farm is still ruled by the cruel and alcoholic Mr. Jones. Once he is overthrown, and the animals take over the farm. The clever animals slightly modify the slogans to suit their own needs, for instance, now, they say “all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others.” These more ‘equal animals’ are the ruling pigs in the book – a few pigs who oppose them are wiped out. The ruling pigs modify laws, “no animal shall
Lou
May 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-reads
Animal Farm was such a great book and demands a re-read. That time is way overdue it has been a while since I read this and I was trying to find a way to review what Orwell was trying to convey in this story. I found couple of good reviews that put it so much better in perspective so why try myself when it's been written about by so many people. When I read it again in the not so distant future I will add my own thoughts So here's to what some readers wrote in a couple of other websites.

”Power
Lisa
The man-to-pig metamorphosis is wellknown since Odysseus met Circe, but the opposite transformation works equally well. Probably more equally well than the other way round, considering the privileged equality of pigs.

One could almost get the notion that pigs and men are interchangeable, and somehow it is hard to know beforehand which species would be more (equally) offended by the comparison.

I reread Animal Farm today for professional reasons, and I was surprised how much I still appreciate it
Kayla Dawn
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
This took me waaay too long to read.. it's like 90 pages and it took me 3 days??

It was really interesting nonetheless.
Definitely a good book to start if you're trying to read more classics since the writing style is pretty simple.
EVERYONE Has Read...: Animal Farm - *SPOILERS* 23 70 2 hours, 56 min ago
EVERYONE Has Read...: Animal Farm - Pre-Read 14 78 Dec 08, 2019 09:55PM
How does Nutra Holistic Keto work? 2 3 Nov 14, 2019 02:17PM
Where To Buy Juventus Ageless Moisturizer 1 1 Oct 30, 2019 12:28AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 2 11 Oct 23, 2019 06:46AM
For Sale By Proprietor - Outstanding Negotiating Tips when shopping or sale a house by proprietor. 1 3 Oct 04, 2019 03:13PM

• The Catcher in the Rye
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (To Kill a Mockingbird, #1)
  • The Great Gatsby
  • The Stranger
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray
  • The Kite Runner
  • Wuthering Heights
Eric Arthur Blair, better known by his pen name George Orwell, was an English author and journalist. His work is marked by keen intelligence and wit, a profound awareness of social injustice, an intense opposition to totalitarianism, a passion for clarity in language, and a belief in democratic socialism.

In addition to his literary career Orwell served as a police officer with the Indian Imperial
133 trivia questions
8 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.” 5932 likes
“The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.” 2820 likes