Start by marking “The Summers” as Want to Read:

The Summers

Published September 30th 2014 by Skyscape (first published August 5th 2014)

Start your review of The Summers
Leah
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
When author Iva-Marie Palmer sent me a message on Twitter offering me not only the opportunity to host a giveaway for a Kindle Paperwhite and other bits and bobs, but also the opportunity to read and review her novel The Summers, I was quite pleased. It sounded like a wonderful novel, set in Cape Cod (which makes a change as it's usually the Hamptons!) and I was very excited to download the novel to my Kindle. I love Young Adult books - they very rarely fail to make me happy - they're not as ang ...more
J. Kahele
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Blurb:

For Kate Sommers, there’s nothing that compares to summer at her family’s beach house on Cape Cod: the ocean breezes, the clam bakes, the boys. She and her three sisters seemed to have all their “firsts” over those long months—first job, first party, first crush. Kate’s first crush is her only crush—Ryan Landry, the boy next door, and her older sister Eliza’s on-again, off-again summer fling.

But it’s been three years since Kate and her sisters have spent a summer in Cape Cod. When their mo
Maria Nash
Summers...way too short!

I enjoyed the storyline between the sisters and ultimately the love interest but it ended very anticlimactic. I did get very emotional as the author indulged in the loss of the family member...hoped for a much more exciting ending!
Kelli Spear
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it

A cute story that deals with a lot of family issues. In some instances, I think we could've used more info on things, but it's a fun, easy read nonetheless. I was worried the ending was going to leave us hanging, and was ready to rage, but it wrapped up nicely.

I enjoyed the characters a lot. Kate was a bit annoying at times, but I could understand considering she was always in her older sister's shadow. She grew on me, and by the end, I was rooting for her HEA. Ryan was cute, but seeme
Vickie***
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
SORRY was not a huge fan of this book.

I had to DNF at 64% when Kate and her sister decided to spy/ stalk Ryan's ex girlfriend. The ex girlfriend didn't even have her own dialogue, and she already got herself a stalker. I mean I wasn't a huge fan of Kate from the beginning, but this was totally the last straw.

Alexis Briseno
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting a different ending

It was good, I just wish she could of done a five years later kind of thing; like The Summer I Turned Pretty... or a sequel!
Asheley
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Read my full review HERE at Into the Hall of Books.

I chose to read The Summers by Iva-Marie Palmer because I love summer romances and because I wanted something nice and easy to read + listen to while I'm reading a couple of lengthier, more difficult stories -- good choice, because it delivered.

Kate Sommers has been coming to Cape Cod for summer vacation along with her sisters and parents for years...but this changes when her mother dies. After three years of not returning to their beach house,
CDBW
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
4 Crazy Ass Stars!!!!

So I have been listening to this while I ran errands and some housework over the last few days. I enjoyed it. It is based in one of my favorite vacation places, Cape Cod. My family and I lived on the Cape for almost 8 years and now we vacation there every year. While we mainly stay in the Sandwich area and this is more down Cape, there are still tons of things I can identify with. The Fourth of July fireworks for example. We always go over the fourth. My favorite thing of al
Val
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Great concept, very predictable, good setting, but not enough for me to be captivated in the characters. Something was lacking for me with them. Perhaps, I just wanted more about the personalities of the 2 sisters or get to know Ryan more besides, OH, HE IS SO “GOOD LOOKING.” Maybe I should just continue reading it & try to finish it but the development of the characters isn’t intriguing to me. It just fading away the more and more I get deep into the book. Mother’s death and going back where th ...more
Jessica
Breezy Beachy Fun

Well crafted and an easy, enjoyable read. Covers familiar tropes: siblings, young love, grief without feeling rutted in cliches. Makes the Cape seem pretty dreamy too.
JC
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not crying, you are

This was very interesting from the beginning. I loved the relationship between Kate and Becca,and Ryan. I wished they went more in depth about their mother's loss, but the story was still alive.
Kibbenza
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
A good concept, but too much drama for the sake of drama.
Sonya
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summer is Made for Love

I loved the romance in this book. It was really cool that 2 sisters were dating 2 brothers and how everyone was trying to keep secrets from each other. And as one sister becomes confused by love & marriage, the other 2 are beginning their love stories.
John Clark
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
She's not Katie Sommers any more and she, like her dad and her three sisters, is still really hurting from the loss of her mom three years ago. Her mother's death (never really explained and I think that would have helped the plot a lot), meant a disruption in their annual pilgrimage from New Jersey to their Cape Cod cottage. Older sister Eliza is getting married at the end of the summer and convinced everyone that doing so on the beach by their cottage would be a good thing.
When Kate, Eliza an
Patty
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it
By
Iva-Marie Palmer

The main and most important characters in this book...

Katie/Kate and her sisters are very important to this book. Their summers at the beach house and their special times with their mom...now deceased...are also at the forefront of this book. Ryan...the boy next door that Kate has secretly crushed on...the locals...all of these characters make this book come alive.

My very brief story summary that includes bits and bobs from the beginning, middle and end of this book.
Krissy P (Kris)
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-vine
For years, Kate Sommers had been secretly into Ryan Landry, her sister's ex and the boy who occupied her thoughts every summer when her family vacationed at their Cape Cod beach house. Kate's sister, Eliza, is having her wedding at the Cape and it's been three years since she and her sisters have returned, not since before the death of their mother, and like her feelings for Ryan, some things never change.

Shortly after returning to their summer home, Kate runs into Ryan Landry and soon they are
Susan Becraft
Beach read in winter

Kate Sommers, her three sisters and father return to their beach house on Cape Cod for the first time since the death of Mrs. Sommers. Although excited to be back in their beloved summer home, each member of the family is forced to come to terms with her death.

Mr. Sommers spends the summer introspectively, while Eliza plans for her wedding to Devin. The story evolves around Kate, the eighteen-year-old daughter, who has had a crush on Eliza's former summer fling, Ryan.

As to be
Book Lover
Nice story

I liked the story, and the interactions of all the characters, especially Ryan and Kate, but even when it was a realistic end, I expected a big traditional HEA.
Kimberly
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer
(Note: I received a free review copy of this book.)

I love a good summer romance, and especially books set in Cape Cod, and The Summers definitely did not disappoint. The relationships between the sisters also felt real to me. The only issue I had was that the love interest, Ryan, had dated the main character's older sister, and even though it was casual it felt kind of wrong to me. I had the same issue with To All the Guys I've Loved Before. If Ryan were the ex of a friend (same tension, just a
Noelle
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I was lucky enough to win and receive this book through GoodReads FirstReads Giveaway Program.

Great summer romance book!

I got very emotional hearing about the loss of Kate's mother. You could feel the family's pain. I loved the relationships between Kate and her sisters.

Kate has always had a crush on their next door neighbor Ryan, but he had a summer fling with her older sister every summer. When they see each other years later, sparks fly. The fact that Ryan was previously with Kate's sister do
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free through GoodReads First Reads! This is the first book I have read of Iva-Marie Palmer and it most certainly won't be my last! This book was layered with many poignant moments not only of sisterly bonds and family loss but of young love at its truest form. I loved reading about Kate Sommers, her sisters and their summers at the cape. Ryan, the gorgeous boy next door who dated her older sister for several summers and Kate's long time crush, was a delicious treat! This ...more
Robin
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 3.5/5 stars
This book was a fun summer read! It definitely kept me entertained. Kate's sisters all had different personalities, that were distinguishable. The love interest in this book was interesting, in that he loved to cook; I hardly see that trait in male characters. The main character was enjoyable to read about as well. This book would have benefitted from being longer. It felt slightly cut short in the end. Overall The Summers is a quick read that will keep your attention
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mindy
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Such a sweet love story between two innocent young friends. There were many sad parts that added to the depth of the story. I enjoyed how the sisters stuck together and were able to overcome events that could have possibly driven them apart. Great way to lift each other up during a difficult time. Great story to read!
Kathie
Oct 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The story made me want to be at the beach. It was a little below my age group however I still enjoyed it. This family handles issues that many of us go thru at some point...family drama, love, aging. A little predictable but keeps you interested until the end. Perfect book to take to the beach or the pool.
Amy
Jan 15, 2015 rated it liked it
When Kate and family return to their beach house for the summer something unexpected happens. The sisters learn more about each other and themselves in this nice summer read. (Pun intended). Will they repair their relationships before summer's end or will they just go their separate ways? Romance, families and friends all play an important part.
Brianna Renea Poll
BEST ROMANCE BOOK!

This book was one of the best romance novels that I have read. Between Kate's problems she lives a great life even though some things didn't go her way. I recommend people to read this book.
Aug 13, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a really sweet read. Just a classic ya book.
Aimee Cooper
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks for the free copy!!!

• Rule #1: You Can't Date the Coach's Daughter (The Rules of Love #1)
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
  • 9 Days and 9 Nights
  • Never Have I Ever Kissed My Brother's Best Friend (Never Ever Love, #1)
  • Eyes on Me
  • Behind the Mask: My Autobiography
  • A Little Bit Wicked (The Wickeds: Dark Knights at Bayside, #1)
  • The 1,000-year-old Boy
  • The Last Time We Were Us
  • Summer Brides (A Year of Weddings)
  • Summer of Sloane
  • Trusting You and Other Lies
  • The Quality Street Girls (Quality Street #1)
  • The Perfect Mother
  • Summer State of Mind (Whispering Pines, #2)
  • Sleepaway Girls (Whispering Pines, #1)
  • Inside
  • Daring the Bad Boy
Author of The End of the World as We Know It from Alloy Entertainment. It's currently available as a NOOK exclusive from Barnes and Noble. Look for it on Kindle and other e-readers on August 18.

Palmer lives in Los Angeles with her husband and son and lots of (filled) bookshelves.

For more information, check out her bio on Alloy Entertainment's official site and keep up with her at ivamariepalmer.c