Start by marking “Leepike Ridge” as Want to Read:

Leepike Ridge

Thomas Hammond has always lived next to Leepike Ridge, but he never imagined he might end up lost beneath it! The night Tom’s schoolteacher comes to dinner and asks Tom’s mother to marry him, Tom slips out of the house and escapes down a nearby stream on a floating slab of packing foam. The night and stars lull Tom to sleep, and when he wakes, he has ridden his foam raft a ...more
Published July 22nd 2008 by Yearling (first published May 22nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Leepike Ridge, please sign up.
Sarah Baker I do too. I like how even though there were clearly bad guys and good guys the story went smoothly. All the characters weren't hesitant in their…moreI do too. I like how even though there were clearly bad guys and good guys the story went smoothly. All the characters weren't hesitant in their responses i couldn't put down the book. It was sad when Jeffrey turned bad though and Phil dies. I thought Phil was going to marry her. But in the end i think Reg was the better choice.(less)

Betsy
Jul 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a traitor to my sex. I must be. All evidence clearly points in that direction. If 2007 is remembered as anything, for me it will be the year of Boy Books That I Adored While My Female Friends Slowly Shook Their Heads. First I fell head-over-heels gaga for Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Girls didn't always get the jokes. Then Atherton #1: The House of Power struck me as particularly fun. Blank stares from my female co-workers. Now I've read "Leepike Ridge" and if I am not physically shoving this book ...more
Douglas Wilson
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Nate does great work.
Douglas Wilson
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just read again after a number of years. Really fun.
Renee Mcatee
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So very good.... I will read this again for sure!

"Every breath, every smell, and the laughter of faraway insects, every bit of the world's dance greeted him at once, and the noise overwhelmed him. From the rippling green and the lazy willows beneath them to the blue kingdom and its cloud herds above, all the world rose up, stood on its head, and crushed his soul with joy."

ñà5hàñà3l
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this was great definitly different but i feel like you could relate better to this character than other for example sam has snake arms cyrus has a snake and the solomon keys henry crawls through cupboards but toms pretty normal. also blegh stupid jeffery no one likes you lol also uder the bed who would have thunk overall i loved it, it was better than outlaws but it wasnt as good as some of the others
Belphoebe Merkle
I’ve always loved this book and known that it draws heavily from the Odyssey so now that I’ve actually read the Odyssey, I was able to not just appreciate the cool story but also all the parallels and plot points and understand where this story came from. Really a fun read!
Brandon Miller
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-spec-ya
Honestly, I don't just give Nate Wilson's books all 5 stars.
Okay, maybe I do but not by default. They just all earn every single star.
Leepike Ridge rushed into my life on a slab of Styrofoam and whisked me into the current. I hadn't been reading much (due to being stuck in the middle of a less-than-favorite book and late nights of college study) but Leepike wouldn't be put down. The characters were quaint but real. The setting was vivid. The tension built and built as Wilson masterfully executed
Kate
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a review that made comparisons between this book and Louis Sachar's Holes. This kind of comparison always makes me skeptical. "We'll just see about that," I thought. I read it. I saw. And I get it now. This one is worthy of that comparison -- and then some. And this book will definitely appeal to fans of Holes.

Leepike Ridge is a book for every kid (and every grown kid) who played in refrigerator boxes, caught critters in the woods, and floated down creeks on homemade rafts. It's a fantast
Christine Eaton
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was an adventure and I rather enjoyed it.
Jean
Nov 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book starts out with a familiar "my mom is dating a man I don't like" kind of scene. But there is a twist. For example, there is a hint that the house that Tom and his mother live in is really different - it is chained to the top of a rock and experiences frequent power surges that cause appliances to fizzle. But the twist that grabbed me was the writing. The descriptions were beautifully written. The author can really write a good sentence.

Then comes another grabber. Tom, in trying to ret
Abby Johnson
Nov 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason, I thought this book was fantasy before I started reading it. I don't know where I got that idea. It's not fantasy.

Young Tom Hammond was just playing with the giant foam piece from the refrigerator box. He was playing with it outside because he wanted to get away from his mom's new boyfriend. He didn't mean to fall asleep on top of it and float down the creek. And he certainly didn't mean to get sucked underneath the mountain and trapped in an underground cave. But now Tom is st
Heather
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone who reads this book LOVES it. It is part Huckelberry Finn, part Hatchet, part David Copperfield, and part 'The Parent Trap'. Many teachers and librarians are calling this book one of the best books written this year.
John
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, 2015, read-alouds
Wow, what a great read! This is a really fun adventure story in the vein of Tom Sawyer and Treasure Island. Wilson does a great job of making you turn the pages. I highly recommend this one for both kids and adults.
Aug 20, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
60+ pages seems like giving this book a fair shot, but it just didn't grab me. So many people love it, though, that I'll have to try it again later.
Jeremy
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children-ya
Brian
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in two weeks by my friend and boss. A very fun book. The character of Reginald is basically my Great Uncle David, and that made this book a blast. Fun references to the Odyssey, Tom Sawyer, and anti-modern-archaeology scattered throughout. But Reginald's irrepressible cheerfulness and talking-to-himself is the best thing about the book. You should read it.
Eva Mitnick
Apr 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is a very different sort of adventure story. A 12-year-old boy named Tom, disgruntled at his mother's relationship with a man he doesn't like, heads downriver on a raft (really the foam packing from a refrigerator box) and ends up under a mountain and utterly trapped, along with a corpse, a dog, and - eventually - a man who had been similiarly trapped for over 3 years. There are gritty details - nefarious "treasure-hunters," a plucky mom, a three-legged dog, and plenty of real danger - but ...more
Ellen
Sep 30, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit
A great read for what otherwise would have been a miserable day in bed with nasty cold. I love adventure survival stories and was often reminded today of stories I enjoyed long ago (Hatchet, Julie of the Wolves, I know there are others...).

To my delight, this one also added the mystery of archaeological treasure. Had I read this before all those archaeology classes in college, I probably would have given it another star. As much as I wanted to for the sake of the story, I just couldn't believe
Sara
Sep 27, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very cool adventure story. I would have liked some illustrations, especially of all those contraptions in the cave. And a map at the end that I could pore over and re-live the journey. But that's me: a visual girl. I want interior illustrations in almost every "chapter" or "middle-grade" book. Where can I sign the petition? Anybody with me on this?
Eric
Sep 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A smashing adventure story, about a boy who is carried by the river into a network of caves, deep in the mountains near his home. The plot is riveting, and the writing is top-notch: Rich, descriptive, and poetic, but never so artsy-fartsy that it breaks you out of the narrative. Just perfect writing, really. Highly recommended.
Bill Prosser
Aug 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my ABSOLUTE favorites of the summer! I loved the adventure, the mystery, the way the "bad guys" try to get their way. This would be a great read aloud due to the cliff hangers. Kids will enjoy the twists in the plot. Just when you think you have it figured out, think again!
Maria Caplin
Sep 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this amazing book-every time I turned the page I was surprised up until the ending which I never predicted.
Excellent book for thinking, wondering, predicting and just
visualizing what it really would be like to have lived through Tom's experiences.
Kelly
Oct 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the best boy adventure book I've read in years, hands down.
birdie22
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want four and a half!!! It was really good. I loved the adventure. It had sort of a Hatchet feel, and since I am claustrophobic, I was reading it with a lot of nail biting. As far as the writing goes, it was really good, and sometimes so descriptive that I couldn’t really follow. Like when it was describing the shapes of the rocks, and the cracks in the rocks.

Tom lives on a mountain that has a river beneath. One day he finds a piece of foam and rides it on the river. A few unfortunate events
Sarah Middlestead
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Treasure hunting, murder, dead bodies, near drownings...In his debut novel, ND Wilson accomplishes his goals of allowing children to encounter fear and creating a magical world in the ordinary. This book was so intense that I literally could not sit still at times.
Mark Jr.
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leepike Ridge is the first literary offering for children by Nathan D. Wilson, the son of Douglas Wilson (a prominent promoter of Christian classical education and no mean writer in his own right).

Underneath Leepike Ridge lies an ancient secret that 11-year-old classic American boy Tom Hammond is going to find out—when he accidentally floats there. Tom encounters some pretty serious abrasions along the way, and finds out about even worse violence—murder—also in his family's past. Before his stor
babyhippoface
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: boys who are reluctant readers and anyone who loves adventure novels
This book made me miss my "If I Don't Get to Sleep Before This Time, I'll Be Cranky Tomorrow" bedtime. 3+ hours over, in fact. That doesn't happen very often.

First off, there's the cover. It couldn't get much more attention-grabbing than that, could it? You're looking at the feet of 11-year-old Tom Hammond, who is sitting atop his chimney, which is atop his house, which is CHAINED atop a mountain ridge. This is where he goes to get away from all the yuck in world, which currently consists of mi
Sara
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written adventure story in the tradition of King Solomon's Mines, Holes, and My Side of the Mountain. Adventure and depth and good writing, oh my! This was a fun one -- but it had some more complex family/grief issues, and definitely kept the pages turning. The only thing that bugged me a little was that the descriptions were kinda hard to follow -- for example, I had a tricky time trying to imagine exactly how Reg's water clock worked, 'cause the description was a little unclear. Otherwi ...more
David Hoos
Jun 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes it seems like most of the good books out there are Children's books. Authors seem to get too pretentious for their own good when they're writing for adult audiences. For me, after years of non-fiction college reading, Leepike Ridge made me want to go back and read more fiction again. To read just for the fun of it. Somebody else compared Wilson's stories to Pixar and I think that is a very apt comparison. Perfect for kids but also equally great for adults. Keep an eye on Wilson...if hi ...more
Chloe
This book is amazing. The characters are so developed! I have read Leepike Ridge before, a very long time ago and I didn't remember most of it, so, obviously, i read it again and loved it even more! The book is so exciting, I just couldn't put it down! The best part? It has a happy ending. :) I highly recommend this book to anyone, adult or kid, looking for an awesome adventure.
N.D. Wilson
Questions 1 1 Apr 11, 2017 08:35AM
Questions 1 1 Apr 11, 2017 08:30AM
What do you think the theme is and why? 1 1 Apr 07, 2017 08:00AM
What do you think the theme is and why? 1 1 Apr 07, 2017 07:49AM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Childrens'/YA about a boy who falls into an underground lake [s] 4 56 Dec 11, 2016 07:41PM
  • Evangellyfish
  • The Charlatan's Boy
  • Being Teddy Roosevelt
  • King's Arrow (Crown and Covenant, #2)
  • Through New Eyes: Developing a Biblical View of the World
  • Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything in It
  • Me and the Pumpkin Queen
  • The Legend of Holly Claus
  • The Hangman in the Mirror
“The moon was up, painting the world silver, making things look just a little more alive.” 57 likes
“In the history of the world there have been lots of onces and lots of times, and every time has had a once upon it.

Most people will tell you that the once upon a time happened in a land far, far away, but it really depends on where you are. The once upon a time may have been just outside your back door. It may have been beneath your very feet. It might not have been in a land at all but deep in the sea's belly or bobbing around on its back.”
27 likes