Start by marking “Experiences in Groups: and Other Papers” as Want to Read:
Experiences in Groups: and Other Papers

Experiences in Groups: and Other Papers

A classic study which, by synthesizing the approaches of psychoanalysis and group dynamics, has added a new dimension to the understanding of group phenomena.
Published November 1st 1968 by Routledge (first published January 11th 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Experiences in Groups, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Experiences in Groups

Start your review of Experiences in Groups: and Other Papers
Nathan
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a PHENOMENAL work! I wish I had read this book as a high school student; it would have changed the nature of so many of my interactions.

Bion suggested that groups operate simultaneously in two strictly contrasting ways, based on distinctive mental states, which he called ‘basic-assumption mentality’ and ‘work-group mentality’. He believed that these mentalities determine a group’s capacity to achieve its purposes.

In Experiences in Groups, Bion developed a theoretical framework in which
Pam
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uno de los libros a los que más vuelvo en tanto teoría de grupos se refiere. Este fue un libro que volví a leer este año y que estoy segura que seguiré leyendo a lo largo de mi práctica grupal. Bion es uno de mis estudiosos de los fenómenos grupales favoritos porque es también de los pocos que va proponiendo sus conceptos teóricos en el análisis de su práctica clínica, y que como Freud, no se acerca a su objeto de estudio con un supuesto objetivismo falso sino que se toma a él mismo como parte d ...more
Stuart
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really great. It pushed me along, having to think just slightly harder and hold slightly more than was comfortable over and over, but enough to bear. So it felt like I was stuffed with milk after each paper, titled just with numerals in the weird maths-poetry way Bion has. A big string of really useful concepts unfolds over the course of the papers which constitute a whole model of group therapy. He also made me do a LOL when he says his technique of running group therapy is to make only interpr ...more
jose coimbra
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scilicet
Bion utiliza em seu livro uma linguagem que visa a levar o seu interlocutor a experimentar as dificuldades que giram em torno do tema 'grupos'.

O livro firma posição quanto à importância da vida em grupo para o funcionamento da psiquê individual. Assim, os grupos de suposição básica [basic assumption groups] são divididos em três: aquele que tem por base a dependência; o segundo que se pauta no 'emparelhamento' [pairing] e o último que funciona com base no padrão de luta e fuga [fight-flight].

Os
Mirjam
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
Bion was een pionier in de groepsdynamica. Hij experimenteerde met groepssessies van neurotische patienten - een classificatie die is bedacht door Freud en niet in de DSM-5 voorkomt. In die sessies koos hij als sessieleider ervoor om ten behoeve van het onderzoek vaak een nare groepsrol in te nemen en die consequent vol te houden.
Een nadeel van dit boek is dat het concrete voorbeelden mist. Bion heeft het vaak over zijn interpretaties die door de groep worden genegeerd of niet aangenomen. Wat aa
Paul Johnston
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psycho-analysis
Fascinating book. Idiosyncratic approach and writing style makes the first part of the book very funny, but the underlying material is really interesting even if quite hard to grasp. The book is quite short and individual sentences and paragraphs are very readable, but having finished it once I immediately had to re-read it to try to work out what was really going on! I am glad I did and will no doubt have to read it a third (and fourth?) time at some point.
Peter Szabo
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps the most important and influential work on the psychodynamics of groups. Bion's writing is clear and the way he is able to bring the reader into a group, and into his experience, is remarkable. This book is a must for anyone in the consulting field, and for managers, too. It will open your eyes. ...more
Lisa
Oct 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I jotted down some notes from the first chapter or two, but after that it was difficult to follow what the author was doing and what his intentions were. I feel as though I am missing some background framework which would make his observations meaningful to me.
Eileen
Dec 15, 2020
Name
Mar 20, 2013
julia webster
rated it did not like it
Jan 20, 2019

• The Psychopathology of Everyday Life
  • Escolios a un texto implicito: Obra completa
  • Walt Whitman: The Song of Himself
  • Discourse and Truth" and "Parresia
  • Manuale di psicologia del lavoro e delle organizzazioni
  • Il potere. Come usarlo con intelligenza
  • The Billy Collins Experience
  • The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming
  • At the Wolf's Table
  • The Intelligent Investor
  • Utopia for Realists: How We Can Build the Ideal World
  • The Bluest Eye
  • The Tyranny of Merit: What’s Become of the Common Good?
  • The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream