Start by marking “Fae: The Wild Hunt (The Riven Wyrde Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fae: The Wild Hunt (The Riven Wyrde Saga, #1)

Read Book

Fae: The Wild Hunt

(The Riven Wyrde Saga #1)

Faeries... The fae... The stuff of bedtime stories and fables.

But sometimes the faerie tales are true. Sometimes they are a warning...

For a hundred generations the fae have been locked away from the world, in the cold, the Outside. They have faded out of sight and mind, into myth and folklore. But now the barriers are weakening and they push against the tattered remnants
Published March 9th 2014 by Fallen Leaf Press

To ask other readers questions about Fae, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fae

Esme
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Faithless as part of my SPFBO reading list and I absolutely adored it, so I’ve picked up some other Graham Austin King stuff looking for some more awesomeness!

Plot:
The plot is sort of slow going at first, it’s introducing a fair amount of characters and plotlines that start intersecting about halfway through, and by the end, it’s all together.

Miriam and her son are living with a drunk as a father, basically just enduring every day as best they can. Eventually
Petros Triantafyllou
I read this a couple of years back, and I remember that I liked it (especially the second book), but not much more in order to write a full review. I'll re-read both of them at some point, to catch up for the 3rd and final installation.
J.P. Ashman
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not one for long reviews so I'll stay consistent with this one:

I listened to this on Audible because I knew the author had got hold of a good narrator for his trilogy. And he has! The narration was second to none. Accents were brilliant, narration itself was too, and actions scenes were enhanced by realistic shouting which I've not heard a narrator do before.

But what about the story? Well I shall tell you!

I found this first book to be a character, setting
Michael
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fairy-tale fantasy fans
Recommended to Michael by: Dyrk Ashton
This started off fairly ordinary, then it moved into the realms of the fairytale, then back to the mundane world of humanity once more. I liked the way the story was constructed, though I could have lived with less description (that is my personal taste). That said, there was plenty of action in this book.

It all begins with a young lad living with his mother and drunken and abusive father. Forced to leave because of the father's violence, hence the story moves in the direction of the forest and
Aidan Hennessy
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indie, onkindle
Though initially a bit of a slow-burner, this indie fantasy begins to build momentum as the story goes on, pitting two different groups of humanity against the Fae.

The treatment of the Fae is particularly well done, conveying all the sinister and savage glamour that these creatures possessed in myth before the 19th century sanitised them.

The ending was a great cliff-hanger for the first novel, and tied in well to the books opening.

Well recommended.
Clare dooley
I was very excited to take part in the tour for "Fae- The Wild Hunt" by Graham Austin King. Anyone who reads my blog knows I'm an avid lover if faery tales. I'm NOT talking about the Disney versions that make you think of the pixie Tinkerbell & pixie dust. There is nothing nice about a Fae regardless of wether they are part of the light or dark court. True faery tales are scary, violent, full of inhumane manipulative , arrogant creatures.
WARNING! DANGEROUS! Stamped all over them since
Beatriz Cunha Tavares ☾
So, I finished this book last night and wasn't sure what to say about it, other than I loved it!

Started reading it without knowing exactly what it was about, other than it had faeries in it. I admit I was expecting the book to be a little "softer", but the fae, even though they weren't that present in this first installment, turned out to be pretty nasty things.

Very basic thoughts on why I loved this book so much:
- the setting was very beautiful, specially the sceens in the forests;
- the prose/>Very
Zaz
3.5 stars. A new medieval fantasy world, with powerful fairies lurking in the dark, but not really present in this book. It's a good introduction to a series, with a lot of world building, which won't appeal to everyone.

In this world, there are two different populations: one is the usual medieval kind (farmers, some aristocrats, priests...), the other has built its foundations with fishers and fighters. Somewhere else, but not enough far, there is a fairy world, which is definitely n
Kitvaria Sarene
I am very glad I ordered the second already! Each day less of waiting is a blessing...

I absolutely loved this book. The writing is very fluent und sucked me into the story withon a few pages... I bought it, and just wanted to take a peak into the book - but ended up reading 1 quarter in one go. I simply couldn't put it down anymore! So instead I paused everything else I was currently reading, and devoured this in a matter of 2,5 days.

I must say, I bought it on recommendat
Kristen
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
(Audiobook review!)

I love me a fairy tale, whether the Fae therein are portrayed as good or bad (as they seem to be often interchangeable in the various mythos in which they appear). The Fae in this one are pretty obviously the bad Fae, and I'm down with it. Dark, scary Fae are okay.

It took me a little while to truly get into. The story didn't really latch on to my attention until about 1/4 of the way in or so. Once we got a bit settled down with Kloss, I was completely i
Kenny Soward
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
NO SPOILERS: Fae - The Wild Hunt is a solid -- no, more than solid -- offering for your fantasy reading taste buds. It starts out interestingly enough (sometimes a little disturbingly) with a survival-type scenario but then evolves into some fairly standard fantasy fare interspersed with interactions with the fae which, at times, is truly horrifying.

The characters are interesting in that they are simple folk confronted with an ancient and complex evil, and so they must adjust to this
G.R. Matthews
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book broke my 'bookfast' and I am glad it did.

There is a lot of description world building, always with the sense that it is leading somewhere. Foreshadowing is used well and, like all good books, the beginning sets up a satisfying end. The fact that there are two more in the series is good news!
Jenny Hannaford-Jennings
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this series.
Well written, fast paced, a delight.
I enjoyed the characters and read all three books back to back...
dinner got burnt, lunch got burnt, heck even breakfast was looking dodgy.

Read it. Now.....
R.B. Watkinson
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good solid start to the series. I'm sure it will only get better (in fact I know it does because I've read the rest of the books).
It's a wonderful twist on all the old mythologies that I read as a child, so it really resounded. The pace is good, the characters interesting. None are too good, or too bad, they're just normal people - some with extra abilities - trying to survive in a seriously deteriorating world. All believe in the right of what they do, which is often the way of it, righ
Cody
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was initially very excited to get the chance to read a book by one of /r/fantasy 's regulars, but the more I read, the more I thought this book REALLY needed better editing and revision before it was released.

It starts off with the first few chapters being redundant repetitions of why the mother and son left town due to an abusive husband. First the reader gets to see the husband be terrible first-hand. Then the reader has to sit through the mother telling a friend all about it des
Jon
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, fantasy
I was pleasantly surprised by this novel. Judging by the title alone, it didn't sound like something that would appeal to me. I was very wrong.

The pacing might feel slow to some readers as much of the book is spent developing the characters and plot, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. This isn't a story about some lone hero sent to ward off evil. Instead, it focuses on simple folk and their simple lives. When the complex and mystical enemy finally arrives, peasants and farmers and soldiers
Peter
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I have seriously enjoyed reading this and thanks Julia and Marielle for the recommendation. This is an excellent novel and I will be getting the next two books on to my TBR as soon as possible
C.T. Phipps
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, grimdark
Graham Austin-King, having checked out my website, was kind enough to send me a sample of his work in order to review. Reading the first book, I promptly purchased the first book I'd already read and then purchased the remaining two volumes of the series at full cost. It was me voting with my dollars, so to speak.

Fae: The Wild Hunt is an interesting book and is somewhat difficult to classify. I'm inclined to say it's a Young Adult Fantasy but it's a good deal more grounded, moody, a
Lynn Worton
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author for an honest review.

This is a fantastic fantasy! I loved it!

I normally do a character breakdown in the reviews I write, but there are quite a few characters in this book to do one for all of them, so I will focus on the two main characters.

Devin is a young boy when we first meet him. He is only 10 years old, but he has a good head on his shoulders. He is bright and inquisitive. I liked him very much
Jenny Bynum Black Words-White Pages
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal Lovers
Recommended to Jenny Bynum by: Graham Austin-King
This story had quite the unusual story line to it. It's full action, suspense and it kept me addicted from beginning to end. I loved the characters in the story and how amazingly written they were. I highly recommend this story to Paranormal Lovers to enjoy.

I received an e-ARC copy of this book, in return for an honest review.
Marielle
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved loved loved it! I am not sure I would have started it without a recommendation (thank you Julia) because fae doesn't sound as my sort of thing... Turns out it is ver much my thing! I couldn't put it down in the end... Onwards to book two!
kayleigh-marie cook
Unique

Very hard to put down, completely gripping. Easy to read as it switches back and forth between characters. Well worth reading if your a fantasy fan
Matthew
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
See my review of the entire saga here:

Darren Kloss
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I've read by Graham Austin-King. I recent read his new book 'Faithless' and liked it enough to read his earlier series that I discovered he wrote, of which this is the first book.

I found the style similar to Faithless, and very much enjoyed the world building, full characters and down to earth reality of them all.

There are no superpowered hero's but rather just people doing what they think is right, but just on different sides.

In the me
Ronald
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I found out about this series in the Robin Hobb facebook group and thought I'd give it a try. I was pleasantlu surprised. While the foundation of the story is classic, the slow build-up and character introductions were very nice to read. Fortunately I can continue with #2 right away!
L.K. Evans
So this is another book where I found the story interesting, but it just didn’t hold my attention throughout.

First off, there was way too much description for my taste and it slowed the story down terribly. I started skimming descriptions half way through the book. Not that they were done poorly, they were just too drawn out for me. I’d also say that the writing and proofreading got a tad bit lazy towards the end. There were repetitive words and, sadly, I noticed quite a few quotatio
Gigi
Apr 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So let me start by saying this is my first review on here. After reading all the positive reviews here and other sites online, I decided to borrow Fae - The Wild Hunt from my online lending library. My disappointment and frustration in this book is what inspired me to write this review.

I can't decide if the book was plot driven or character driven. If it was plot driven, it took too long to get going (all the action is in the last quarter of the book).

If it was character driven, nothing happen
holder4
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author in exchange for a review.

I don't usually read fantasy novels with fairies or elves, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was afraid it's going to be one of those rather boring stories with an overused and predictable plot, lacking in any real depth.

I was wrong.

Fae - The Wild Hunt has a sizable cast of characters and is mainly told from the point of view of Devin and Kloss, who are both children when we
Kerry
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
An unusual fantasy tale with many different threads being wound together to bring a new twist and intriguing story about the fae world colliding with the mortal world.
At first the stories run separately yet parallel to one another. A mother and her son, their contact with the fae and the story of his life and those around him. A boy growing in a Viking world and how he will cross the water to find new lands. An ancient druid in a clearing working hard to maintain boundaries between two worlds.
Leona
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, indie-books
I have received a review copy from the author in exchange of an honest review and I must say this is a very impressive story with intriguing characters, great plot and gets extra points from me for not having the typical fantasy cliches.

What really impressed me is that the point of view characters’ storylines going in parallel, not connected to each other. This made me quite curious and I kept turning the pages, making wild guesses how they will connect to each other. And they eventu
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Grimdark Fiction ...: BotM Discussion: Fae - The Wild Hunt by Graham Austin-King 6 18 Jan 01, 2017 01:35AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please alter this book listing 2 19 Feb 17, 2016 11:15AM
What questions were you left with at the end of the book? 1 10 Mar 28, 2014 12:38AM
Release date 1 5 Feb 06, 2014 08:46AM

• Winter Fae (Armored Hearts, #0.5)
  • The Undying (Hayle Coven #16)
  • First Bite (Darkwood Manor, #1)
  • Silver Mortal (The Gracen Chronicles, #1)
  • Yesterday's Daughter
  • A Birthright of Blood (The Dragon War, #2)
  • Faerie After (Bones of Faerie, #3)
  • Jade (Once Upon a Zombie Apocalypse #1 POV 2)
  • In Embers (Ember, #3)
  • Eternal Hope (Hope, #2)
  • Heart of the Kraken (Tales from Darjee, #1)
  • The Land Beyond the Portal
  • Armored Hearts (Armored Hearts, #1)
  • Desolace (Desolace, #1)
  • Fledge (I Am Just Junco, #2)
  • A Grimm Legacy (Grimm Tales #1)
Graham Austin-King was born in the south of England and weaned on broken swords and half-forgotten spells. A shortage of these forced him to consume fantasy novels at an ever-increasing rate, turning to computers and tabletop gaming between meals.

He experimented with writing at the beginning of an education that meandered through journalism, international relations, and law. To this day he is com

The Riven Wyrde Saga (3 books)
  • Fae: The Realm of Twilight (The Riven Wyrde Saga, #2)
  • Fae: The Sins of the Wyrde (The Riven Wyrde Saga, #3)
“Fie! Fly! Be gone, little manling!” she spat at him. “Take your tainted She and be gone!” 2 likes
“Fie, fly, flee little manling” 0 likes