Start by marking “WWIV: In the Beginning” as Want to Read:
WWIV: In the Beginning

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

WWIV: In the Beginning

(WWIV)

Einstein told us many years ago... "I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought, but WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones." And so it begins.
Published July 5th 2014 by CreateSpace (first published March 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about WWIV, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about WWIV

Start your review of WWIV: In the Beginning
Karyn Folan
First, the disclaimer: I received a copy free for review on StoryCartel.com.

I'm a fan of this genre and was excited to read this story, but I felt there were lots of missed opportunities for drama and conflict in the book. In fact, the first 2/3 of the story it seemed like the main character met many more nice people who wanted to help him than real threats. In a story entitled "World War IV" I couldn't figure that out. The dramatic stuff seemed to happen "off-stage" so to speak; the character
E.A. Lake
Mar 31, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote it. So I read it ... like some 500 times.

I like what I've created. I hope you do as well.

I won't rate it for two reasons: 1) seems ameaturish for the author to give himself a rating, and, 2) I don't think GR will let me.

Thanks,
e a lake
Elaine
Apr 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, let me say that I received a free copy of this book through Story Cartel in return for an honest review.

The book is easy enough to read, but seems to be geared towards young adults. The main character is not quite believable, or he is simply not the brightest bulb in the box. I'm not sure which. I tend to think that very few adults would actually wait several weeks after all the power going out to figure out that things might get pretty bad.

Also, the book could use some serious editing.
Adam Windsor
May 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, sf-fantasy
"What happens when technology fails overnight!" is a premise I've seen pop up several times in realms of the free Kindle books. E A Lake takes the idea in a different narrative direction than seems to be the usual course, though. No real time is spent on investigating the "why" behind the event, or on the efforts of anyone to build/maintain a just society in the face of this phenomenon. Instead we get a fairly personal story about one man's journey to find his family; and the new family he ...more
Cherye Elliott
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book

Interesting read. It is strange for me to read apocalyptic books when the main character is a liberal. That said, I did enjoy the book. Brit is definitely a survivor.

I know Bill is a village idiot. Bless his heart. But it's okay.
Fav quote:
I smiled at the group around me. “I have a gun with me. I’m not too worried. I know how to protect myself.” As the last words left my lips, I froze. My gun, my bullets; crap. I left them at the house".
R L
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read...

I enjoyed this book immensely. Very warm and well written characters. With exception to the bad guys. They're not warm. Creepy and frightening. John particularly made my skin crawl. Welcome to the apocalypse. The ending of this book hit me right in the gut. Vindication! Can't wait to see what happens next!!! I'm off to read the next installment.
Leah Marie Sheldon
Not shabby

3 stars. 5 stars is reserved for literary classics. 4 is for longer more in depth books with no grammatical errors. I liked this book, but the ending left me a bit blah. It's almost like the author wanted to be done writing and just quickly ended it. It took me a few hours to read. Maybe a total of 4 hours, good for a couple plane rides. Overall not a bad book.
Brian
Oct 02, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just Don’t...

This book just drug on. It took this guy the entire book to go 30 miles and 2 pages to find a woman, settle down, and let 2 seasons pass by. Unfortunately I bought the series. I want my money back. Can’t bring myself to start the next book.
Mimi Davis Hopkins
Where Do We Go From Here

This is a well written story. The characters are very well defined, the story has a nice easy flow, and the plot and theme has been written about by many authors. This author gives hope for man kind. Good job.
Michele Herrera
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Melissa Powell Carver
Good Read

This is a very well written book. I found it an easy read. I am really anxious to continue the series.
Patiscynical
The title is extremely misleading..

So, with a title like WWIV you'd think there would be, I don't know, a war, or at least a battle. Nope.
This is about an EMP, and the hero, Bill, is optimistically clueless. First he waits around for things to settle down, hoping his wife will show up, and trying to keep the neighborhood from falling apart. His two children and his wife had been visiting her parents, and the kids were going to stay for a while. After a couple of weeks he decides to head out to
Sherry Studdard
Great beginnjng

This book was great til the last chapter. This author always has taken his time. His other books were well thought out and this one too..until the end. The last chapter felt like it was written in a hurry and everything was left wrapped up with a nice little bow. The last chapter could have been the synopsis for book 2. But Book 2 has new characters.
I just felt there was too big of a rush to finish quickly. I gave it 3 stars because it was great til the end
Talena Colley
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good

A good book in the apocalypse genre. Shows that when life is at its worst, there is always hope for happiness. We all need someone and if we recognize the signs when they appear, we find them.
Sheila Rader
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book was entertaining. I was a bit disappointed in the end. The last few pages was a quick run through of things that happened over a year's time span. Those things could have been a book in itself. I am hoping the next book will at least follow the wife and kids.
James T. Harnden
Great characters

Such a good read you felt for the characters throughout the whole novel. I am going right now to buy the next book!

Jamee
Jan 03, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The apocalypse from the perspective of a clueless leftist.
Daniel A Covey
Katie Van Dyke
Apr 21, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Rainy's Book Realm: New Dystopian Read for Kindle 2 9 May 30, 2014 12:44PM

• Frontier Justice (The Survivalist, #1)
  • Eruption (Escaping Darkness, #1)
  • All That Survives (Lone Survivor #2)
  • EMP (The Districts #1)
  • Blackout: Still Surviving (Still Surviving #1)
  • When the Pain is Gone (A Powerless World #3)
  • Worst Case Scenario (Book 1)
  • Disruptive Shock: An EMP Survival story (Disruptive Shock #1)
  • The Rise of Magicks (Chronicles of The One, #3)
  • Breakdown (Dark Road #1)
  • All At Stake (Lights Out in Vegas #1)
  • Double Or Nothing (Lights Out in Vegas #2)
  • Fighting Chance (Lights Out in Vegas #3)
  • WWIV - The Last Finders
  • Corner Office (From the Tales of Dan Coast Book 12)
  • Darkest Days (Still Surviving #3)
  • The Deconstruction Series Complete Edition (Deconstruction #1-6)
  • Ultimate Assassin (Tanner #28)
Began writing after the age of 50.

Novels are based on recurring dreams that can last for weeks at a time.

No where near as dark as my writing would make me. Happy guy with a normal life.

Loves all things dystopian.

WWIV (3 books)
  • Basin of Secrets (WWIV)
  • Kids at War (WWIV)
“Surrounded by what was once everything we could ever need, we now saw just how little we all possessed.” 2 likes

--Bil Carlson's thoughts”