Start by marking “Summer Howl” as Want to Read:
Summer Howl

Summer Howl

It should have been just another quiet night on the farm when Logan witnessed the attack, but it wasn't.

Something is in the woods.
Something unexplainable.
Something deadly.

Hundreds of miles away, Chrystal's plans for summer in Manhattan are abruptly upended when her dad reads tabloid coverage of some kind of grisly incident in Oklahoma. W
Audio CD
Published May 7th 2019 by Brilliance Audio

Autumn
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC directly from Carrie through Patreon.

AND HOLY SH*T Y'ALL. TWO WORDS: PRE-ORDER.
description

That's technically one word isn't it? Oh well.

This book was not at all what I expected when I went into it, which means I should have known better because hello, it's Carrie & Steve. DUH. Based on the promos I've seen so far, I was expecting a creepy-as-all-get-out-keep-you-up-at-night-with-the-lights-on thriller type serial killer novel. Which I also would have loved.

description

Instead, what I got was an enticing-as-all-get
Kelly Hager
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was INSANE, you guys. It started strong, stayed strong, ended strong AND was completely spooky throughout. I don't want to ruin the mystery here, but it's something I'm not used to seeing in books (so NOT a vampire, then) and it was a really fun change.

I love how the chapters alternated between Logan and Chrystal, and how Chrystal was basically taking the Sarah Connor hero evolution route. I love her so much (and also Logan) and this needs to be a movie as soon as possible
Lindsay
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
In the Woods is an entertaining supernatural read perfect for lovers of cryptozoology. Chrystal and her father head out to Oklahoma to hunt down a mysterious creature that is attacking cattle and women. They meet the Jennings’ family and son Logan who was first to see the creature in the middle of the night. The attacks worsen and occur during daylight causing Chrystal’s and Logan’s families to work together to figure out what the monster is and how to kill it before another victim is claimed. ...more
Marie
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, arc
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Macmillan/Tor/Forge. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Unfortunately, this book did not work for me. I had such high hopes since I expected a mysterious thriller, but this book let me down.

This book follows the teenager Logan who, during the summer holiday, helps out at his parents' farm in rural Oklahoma, where they live. After Logan witnesses an attack on one of the calves on his farm by a strange c
Andrea Galbusieri
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
Not a fan of cryptozoology, but I really enjoyed this story and its characters.
Amber Bryant
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I preordered this book because I am familiar with Carrie Jones’ work. I dove right into it as soon as it arrived and am happy to report that it didn’t disappoint! The two teenage characters, Chrystal and Logan, are relatable and well drawn. Even when faced with the unimaginable horrors they encounter, their reactions are believable. Their budding relationship feels natural and is super sweet.

There’s definitely romance in the air in this book, but there’s also a monster, and the autho
Nannette Demmler
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural
ARC provided by MacMillan Tor/Forge via NetGalley for an honest review.

This will be a hard review to write. I liked the book, I thought it was pretty good but there were some things that just fell a little flat for me. From the cover and the summary, you get the feeling that this is a straight up thriller mystery, but there is a supernatural element to what is going on. This might trip up some readers, but it is an interesting twist to this type of story.

I really liked Lo
Ginger
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the Woods by Carrie Jones & Steven E. Wedel was a fantastic & exciting read. It's difficult to review without spoilers but I will do my best. The characters are great in their feeling of familiarity- it's like reading about your friends doing extraordinary things. The pace was perfect, giving you pieces of the story to latch onto and make you want to devour the book in one sitting so you can find out what is going on. There was some explanation near the end that I would have liked mor ...more
Jodi
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big Carrie Jones fan, so I was pretty excited to get to read an advanced copy of this new collaboration with Steven Wedel. I'm glad to say the book did not disappoint.

Caveat: THIS IS A SUPERNATURAL BOOK. I've read some reviews that were disappointed in it because they expected a mystery thriller, and got a story about a cryptozoologist's daughter and a boy who first spots a scary being in small-town Oklahoma. So if Bigfoot, werewolves, and the like are not your thing, this book
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Carrie Jones and Steven E. Wedel’s In the Woods practically screamed READ ME the moment I saw the amazing cover! I’m a sucker for covers that have a woodsy atmosphere! The story itself also sounded amazing…something sinister and creepy lurking in the woods, kill animals and eventually people! It was all the makings for a great read…though the end result was a little less than great, but still pretty entertaining!

Chrystal is with her father for the summer as her mother and husband #3
Ashley
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
**Disclaimer: I received a free advanced readers copy of In the Woods by Carrie Jones and Stephen E. Wedel for review purposes through NetGalley and Macmillan-Tor/Forge.  Thank you to them for this opportunity.

In the Woods by Carrie Jones and Stephen E. Wedel is a young adult horror novel that releases on July 16th.  I gave it three stars on GoodReads.

Here is the summary on GoodReads:

New York Times bestselling author Carrie Jones teams up with acclaimed co-wri
Amy
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a story of monsters and true will, In The Woods is a suspenseful read that lurks just within the shadows. With two strong-willed teenagers that are willing to protect a family, and a town at all cost, along with a father’s blind quest for proof on Bigfoot and werewolves that takes his daughter right into the path of something perilous. On the search for answers, they all encounter something that cannot be human, causing deaths, which only means that this has to be the work of a monster. Told ...more
Yan Breheret
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-literature
In this book, Carrie Jones and Steven E. Wedel tell the story of Chrystal, who wanted to spend her holidays in New York with her mother and her new husband. However, when said husband invites her mother to a trip to Europe, Chrystal is left behind and spends the time with her quirky dad, who enjoys investigating cryptozoology in his free time. This time, a farm boy in Oklahoma has reported the sighting of a strange creature that ripped apart one of the farm’s cows. Could that finally be a sighti ...more
Heather Mashnouk brandon
Bigfoot, werewolves, and teenagers, oh my!

Jones and Wedel weaved a scary but fun tale in their book, In the Woods. The reader will follow the heart pounding journey of Logan, a quiet but strong teenage boy and Chrystal, a smart and reluctant daughter of a cryptozooloogist as they try to save Logan's town from the vicious beast like creature killing livestock and killing women.

It is important for any adults that read this to remember this is a book written for young adults. I might e
Kimberly Dunham
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first YA book I haven't been able to put down in a long time. A lot of YA has moved away from fantasy toward real-life issues; this book blends the two beautifully.

I liked Logan more than Chrystal. He came off as more believable to me. He was shy, wrote bad poetry, etc. Basically, he was average enough to be real but interesting enough to keep me reading.

Chrystal was a bit too philosophical for me, and at times, overly confident. I had a hard time relating wit
I received this as an eARC through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Logan lives on a working farm and one night, when he and his dog are doing a regular check, Logan watches as a creature decapitates a cow with its bare hands. The town becomes nervous and works to save their animals, but as larger animals and eventually people start disappearing, they realize more needs to be done.

Chrystal's father is a bigfoot/supernatural enthusiast. While she hoped to spend her summer i
Sunshine
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This book reads like a cheesy syfy movie. It was
not bad, the mystery was pretty okay; even though
I guessed who the evil guy was from the beginning,
the story was decent. I will say that the writing is very,
very, very simple and it's weird how everyone
just accepts what's happening without skepticism.
I kept thinking that was weird, no one and I mean NO
ONE, thinks it's weird that a (view spoiler) ...more
Autumn Is Azathoth
IN THE WOODS is awesome! I totally adored this reading. Sure I'm in the Senior category, but I can still enjoy an exquisitely- written YA and IN THE WOODS certainly qualifies.

Level-headed adolescent Chrystal is dragged along on her cryptozoologist Dad's sudden trip to Eastern Oklahoma, in the Ozarks, following a supposed Bigfoot sighting. A seventeen-year-old farm boy/poet spotted the creature, which proves to be a far more dangerous predator. In the midst of grave danger and m
Felicia Spence
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 for me on this one. I ended up really enjoying this story. For the first few chapters I wasn't sure where the story was going to go. I was pleasantly surprised!! Let me tell you... I loved our main characters!! They were kind, good and sweet. It's not very often that I actually like all the characters. Usually there's at least a few that are total douches. Nope! Not on this one. It was entertaining and fast paced.
Ruth Klassert
if you’re in the mood for a unique Big Foot story, check our “In the Woods” by Carrie Jones & Steven E Wendel, narrated by Andrew Eiden & Karissa Vacker. I honestly didn’t expect to enjoy this enough to keep it let alone finish it but once the plot became apparent, I instantly fell in love with the concept, characters & writing style. I’m definitely happy I went with it even though I wasn’t completely sure about it at first - an absolutely perfect October pick!
John Clark
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an easy book to get into and it reads quickly (I did it in 50 page increments between outside chores). Crystal and Logan are realistic and quite likable teen protagonists who find themselves facing early attraction at the same time a very scary and unnerving 'thing' threatens to make them prisoners for their own safety. The story is smooth and required no suspension of belief. Teens liking a mix of romance, horror and action will like this book a lot.
Michelle
This was a bit cheesy, but it was an ok read. I thought it was going to be one thing, but turned into something a little different and then the teenaged insta love thing started going on amidst the mystery and it was just way too cheesy to be taken seriously, Even the writing seriously diminished towards the end. It was like they handed it to a 7th grader and said, "Hey, Can you finish this for us?"
Bickering Book Reviews
For a more in-depth review watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vytAQ...

2.5 Rating: This book has an interesting premise but the narrative voice didn’t work. Chrystal was a much more interesting and strong narrator while Logan felt only half developed. The mystery was resolved in a meandering way that was always kind of obvious.
Christy
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me to Kelly: weird, I never read [redacted creature].

Into the Woods: allow us to fix that.

I loved Carrie Jones’ Flying series and was disappointed to find this one was after release. Why didn’t I know! Such a good read. Loved the dual narration, the sweet love story, and the lore. As they say in the book, it’s like an episode of Supernatural!
Michelle
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
***Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion***

Sadly, I could not get into this story. I don't know if it was because I couldn't really get a feel for the characters, or if I did not love the writing style. Maybe a little of both. I tried to keep it going, but I never really cared about the story.
Caitlin
Overall I enjoyed the book. At first I wasn’t really sure where it was going but the more & more I read I became more interested.
It does have a Little Red Riding Hood vs. Big Bad Wolf vibe to it that enjoyed.
But I did get a little confused around the middle to the end of the story because it went back & forth between Chrystal & Logan’s point of views.
But overall not bad.
Jan
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!
Chantal
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm gonna need a book #2. Thanks! From the moment I started this one, I couldn't put it down.
Ayla Johnson
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
They should totally make a movie out of this
Becky
For a more in-depth review watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vytAQ...

It was just a normal night when Logan saw the monster, it was huge and vicious and killing his family’s livestock. Logan's story quickly finds it way onto the national news and attracts cryptozoologist Matthew Lawson Smith and his daughter Chrystal. Logan teams up with the Lawson Smiths to try to identify and catch the monitor that is terrorizing Logan’s small Oklahoma town. As the three work together, Logan and Chrystal begin to develop feelings but be
Carrie Jones likes Skinny Cow fudgsicles and potatoes. She does not know how to spell fudgsicles. This has not prevented her from writing books. She lives with her cute family in Maine, but she grew up in Bedford, NH where she once had a séance with cool uber-comedian Sarah Silverman.

The Meyers brothers are from Bedford, too, so you’d think it would make Carrie funnier, coming from Bed