Start by marking “School for Husbands” as Want to Read:
School for Husbands

School for Husbands

3.13  ·  Rating details ·  774 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Neil and Sarah are the ultimate happy couple. Until, that is, Neil’s new job leaves Sarah alone to juggle the baby, domestic drudgery, and her own career. When Neil fails to come home one night, Sarah rushes home to her mother, who has always wished that Sarah had married her childhood sweetheart, the fabulously rich lawyer Colin, who has coincidentally reappeared in her l ...more
Published January 30th 2007 by Plume (first published January 30th 2006)

Sian Powell
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was an easy, frothy, holiday read about a husband and wife who split up and the husband goes to the "School for Husbands" of the title to learn how to be a better husband. The character of Sophie's (the wife)mother was very much a caricature of an interfering mother(-in-law) but funny and well done none-the-less. Simon, the new romantic interest for Sophie, was rather one dimensional too but Mark and Sophie were realistic and well described. I think Wendy Holden does not ...more
Sreedevi Viswambaran
Another chick lit novel, narrating the story of a husband and wife who go through a rough patch in life. The story is a little funny at the same time not so dramatic. It flows in its own smooth rhythm. I liked some of the funny sequences very much, especially the classroom sequence in which they learn the art of ‘screwing and squeezing’. It was hilarious. The concept is pretty new, the whole idea of ‘School of husband’s’ is narrated in an interesting manner. The description of therapy classes te ...more
Tina
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a ridiculous but lighthearted story involving Sophie and Mark who start having some marital problems. There is an interfering mother-in-law, a rich ex boyfriend. Mark enrols himself into the school for husbands in order to win Sophie round.

All of the characters were really annoying and incredibly stupid. My relaxed boundaries of what makes a character believable when it comes to chicklit was stretched a bit too far. For example would anyone think it was a good idea to lie to his boss a
Alysa Farrell
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I found this book light, easy to read and yet contained some good tips...Don't let the small things build up in a relationship to the point of exploding. Just because he never mentions your hair, it doesn't mean he is not in love anymore. Or because he stays late at the office, or she can't find time for personal appearance everyday because the baby is demanding.

I enjoyed this book, and found it a bit insightful. Don't take the people you love for granted, and always tell them those three magic
Amanda
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like to read chic lit when I need a break from reality. Unfortunately this story was quite bland and easily transparent right from the start. Very cliche and not as entertaining as I had hoped. It has a feeling that she had a deadline to write to.
Melissa McGuire
Aug 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
It took me forever to finish this book. I couldn't get into it and once the story started to actually become somewhat interesting it was obvious what was going to happen. The story was awful and childish.
Helena Pappa
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's ok. Nothing much, but a nice book to clear your mind with some light reading.
Anna
Mar 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Very funny. I've now read all of Wendy Holden's books & loved them all. I read this in a few hours as was ill in bed.

Sophie's marriage was perfect, but now it's all gone wrong. Mark works late; she's left with the baby, domestic drudgery, her own career to keep on the go and the growing feeling that Mark is having an affair. When he fails to come home one night it's the last straw. Sophie wants a divorce. But Mark doesn't. He hasn't been unfaithful, just thoughtless. Desperate not to lose hi
Aileen
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Sophie is married to Mark they have a baby, Arthur, Sophie has
returned to her career after her Maternity leave, life is hard with the
baby, house etc, she is always exhausted, Mark never seems to be there
he is late home every night, she resents the fact that mark is having a
good time while she is stuck at home every night, is mark having an
affair? One night Mark doesn’t come home, it’s the last straw, for
Sophie and she leaves him. Sophie tells him she wants a divorce, but he
doesn’t he has
Helen
Apr 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: shallow-froth
If I were a man and paid a ton of money to attend the "school for husbands"' I would be profoundly disappointed and demand my money back. Characters and plot not really believable, and never really developed and took off. Sadly, just a little too shallow, even for me who enjoys the guilty pleasures of a chick lit. Sexist cliches galore about what a typical woman needs in a marriage, eg, men putting the lid back on the toothpaste tube. Really? If something that petty is going to ruin your marriag ...more
Anne Martin
the idea is cute, but the book gets just plainly silly. Sure, some of the things described by the school are true and show how easily some marriages could be fixed, but the whole story isn't meant to be taken seriously. And it does not have the charm of sex and the city to make you forget about it. Simon is a complete sociopath, Sophie is not too smart and neither is Mark. It would make a pleasant summer read if the author had deepened -just a bit her characters, the reasons they can't communica ...more
Renee
Nov 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Every so often I have the urge to read fluff. It does not happen often, and usually I indulge it with Wendy Holden. I am not sure exactly why I continue to indulge this periodic penchant for fluff with Holden... Other than this book, I have only enjoyed Farm Fatale; I found the others to be absolutely mind numbing (I have yet to read The Full Monty however, which has rave reviews).

School for Husbands is on par with Farm Fatale though; it is still fluff, but it is Holden at her best, which is mo
Paula Sealey
When Sophie's marriage starts to go wrong and she thinks her husband Mark is having an affair (he isn't!), she decides to leave him and file for a divorce.

Mark, her husband, is desperate to save his marriage and enrols on a 'School for Husbands' course in the hope of changing his ways and getting his marriage back.

This was very light reading! I found some of the characters, especially Sophie's mother, quite absurd, and the plotline was very thin. I actually found myself skimming over parts to tr
Margherita Dolcevita
La scuola del titolo fa la sua comparsa reale (quindi non solo nominale) attorno a pagina 150.
Le prime 150 pagine sono pesaaaaaaaanti, due balle!!! 150 pagine per dire che fare la mamma e lavorare è difficile solo che i mariti non se ne accorgono, eh grazie al cazz, capirai che novità.
Poi, con l'inserimento della scuola, la trama inizia a prendere corpo, il romanzo inizia a scorrere e va tutto come deve andare più o meno (più più che meno) prevedibilmente. Non è nemmeno male eh, cioè è come uno
Tiffany
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've been a fan of Wendy Holden for several years. Her books are always entertaining and in School for Husbands, the author doesn't disappoint. This book has more depth than some of the other chick lit books out there. Even though it's fiction; Wendy touches on subjects many women can relate to- pressure from their mothers, distance in their marriages, miscommunication and the the stress a baby adds to the equation. You will love reading this novel and find yourself rooting for the main characte ...more
Bianca
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sophie once had a beautiful marriage, but lately it doesn't work anymore. Her husband, Mar is working increasingly long hours, leaving her alone with the baby, housework and the attemp of gaining a career. Sophie comes to believe that he is unfaithful and threatens to divorce him, but Mark is not an adulterous husband, but sloppy. Desperate not to lose his family, enroll in school for husbands of a therapist with unorthodox methods, which guarantees that turns men unable to model life partners. ...more
Tyna
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cartea este scrisă cu o ironie fină, atingând cu umor teme ce provoacă tensiuni în viața de zi cu zi – amestecul soacrei în familie, oboseala cauzată de creșterea unui copil mic, instabilitatea la locul de muncă, lipsa unui dialog constructiv într-o căsnicie. Mesajul de la final este însă optimist, arătând că, de multe ori, lucrurile pot fi reparate dacă există determinarea necesară.

Recenzia mea:

Fluffychick
I love Wendy Holden and somehow missed this one when it first came out! Have to say it wasn't her best (imo)...for a couple of reasons.
Firstly, I don't care how much your mother hated your husband or how aspirational she was - no one would inflict the awful, bullying Simon on her daughter. Secondly, I had more sympathy with Mark than Sophie (was that what was supposed to happen?)and felt that it was her that really needed th school rather than him.
Okay, so some of the classes were funny, but ove
Chan
Oct 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I have no idea why many people say this book sucks. The author shed the light on what ordinary husbands are usually ignorant about. And many also said that main female character was super dumb. In fact, there are lots of such women out there, perhaps not in everyone's immediate environment. Being said, ending was so typical and boring. The author carried a lot in the beginning that we got to read actual school of husband only after about one-third of the book. But she ended it so fast in a very ...more
Ashley
Jul 03, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, chick-lit
I bought this book because I thought I'd have a lot of similarities with the character being married and all.

It was totally different then I expected it to be but yet I enjoyed it.

She's fed up with his crap, asks for a divorce and tries to move on. Reality hits him and he goes to the extent of doing ANYTHING to get her back. Meanwhile, an old "flame" pops up and tries to woo her in all for his own personal reasons.

It has its twists and turns with a few predictable parts in it but it's fun and li
Heidi
I think this is the third time I've picked up this book from the library; it must be on the display shelf often. And it has a cute title and cover, but apparently it's completely unmemorable, because for the third time I've gotten to page 30 and decided I'm bored. And that's the point when I realize I've tried reading this before.

So I'm putting it on Goodreads to remind myself that I've tried it and didn't like it, so I don't have to do this for a fourth time.
Rob & Liz
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a nice silly book that shows how love can beat the odds and the perceived items we consider ones marriage to have at fault. In reality we just need to communicate more often and make time.
Certainly it shows how caught up we can be with life and its demanda on us to raise children and keep a job with all of its ups and downs.
I truly enjoyed this book and it even made me laugh and chuckle and cry.
I felt even I might have passed the exams for this school for husbands.
Cheers
Rob
Kelly
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read for for anyone who has tried to juggle work and child-rearing...while also devoting time to nurturing a relationship. I'm sure many men would find it offensive, but personally I enjoyed the "lessons" in the school for husbands - many of them would prove useful to many men I know...
I don't see it as angry or mean - just a lighthearted look at some of these issues!
Fun, easy read; would recommend to many of my female friends!
Kimberly
May 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
Not one for spoilers, or long negative reviews (which always make me wonder why someone took the time to finish reading it in the first place).

Still, I wanted to say I tried. But I'm sad to say I put the book down halfway. The story sounded fun to me, but all it turned out to be was a tale with characters without heart, that tries it's hardest to be funny.

Not badly written, not at all. But nothing that made me want to spend anymore time on the pages.
Rebekah
May 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am reading this book but the blurb on this site dont match the blurb for my book...

I dont know if it was just that i wasnt in the right mood, too busy, etc... but i found this book very hard to read... Normally id get through a book of this size in under a week... It does have a decnt ending but the book drags on soo long i was lucky to make it there before trashing it...
Gillian
May 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
For the genre this was only ok, i've read much better! i thought the wife leaving her husband and wanting a divorce was over the top especially when she learned he'd not cheated! she seemed to be to eager to give up on what she called the love of her life! but, there was rn humour some funny laugh out loud moments. i give it 2 stars.
Tara
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book. I started off feeling sympathy for the wife, but then half-way through thought she was behaving like a selfish child. My sympathy then turned to the husband. The whole book really demonstrates the need for husbands and wives to work through their problems instead of letting narrow perspectives and others to tell you how to think and feel.
Tammy
Jul 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NOBODY
Shelves: hated
Terrible, absolutely terrible. Once again a chick lit book paints the main female lead to be a brainless twit who will fall for anything and believe anyone. Who acts like a spoiled brat and whites nonstop about her 'horrible' husband. I read the whole thing because I was curious and because it was easy to read, but I'd never pass this on to a friend.
Bev Taylor
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
sophie's not happy with her husband

he works late and leaves all the housework and childcare to her. not a very original plot for a novel

h/e it gets better when he joins the school for husbands in a desperate attempt to save his marriage. though how the cost was justified i do not know

i think what saved this were the great characters and also the dialogue - plus unspoken thoughts

bev
Kelly
Jun 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To me i wasn't that interested in this book but i was interested enough to finish reading it. I gave the book 3 stars because of an ok plot and because there were times i laughed out loud, not bad but i won't be reading it again :(
  • Something to Talk about
  • The Botox Diaries
  • Making Mischief
  • Revenge of the Wedding Planner
  • The Sweetest Taboo
  • The Accidental Family (Sophie Mills, #2)
  • Honeymoon
  • Dot.Homme
  • Trials of Tiffany Trott
  • Larger Than Life
  • The Secret Life Of Evie Hamilton
  • Finding Monsieur Right
Wendy Holden grew up in Yorkshire, and studied English at Girton College, Cambridge. She worked in magazines for many years before joining Tatler's in 1997 as deputy editor, and later moved to the Mail on Sunday’s You magazine, which she left in 2000 to concentrate on writing. She regularly writes features for newspapers and magazines on a range of social, topical and lifestyle subjects and is als ...more
More about Wendy Holden...