Start by marking “Charlie Bone and the Time Twister (The Children of the Red King, #2)” as Want to Read:
Charlie Bone and the Time Twister (The Children of the Red King, #2)

Charlie Bone and the Time Twister

(The Children of the Red King #2)

Time is running out for Charlie Bone . . .

Charlies hopes that the new term at Bloor's Academy will hold no nasty surprises. But then Henry Yewbeam appears, twisted through time from the icy winter of 1916.

Audio Cassette
Published September 9th 2003 (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Charlie Bone and the Time Twister, please sign up.
Rebecca The same way you read any other books? If you are asking about the order you read them in, the books actually have that on the back cover.

Start your review of Charlie Bone and the Time Twister (The Children of the Red King, #2)
Larissa
Mar 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves the Charlie Bone books
Good book. Unfortunately, not as good as the first book. It did
have a "very nice personal moment" with the strange piano teacher Mr.Pilgim, that I really enjoyed .
Amanda Trumpower
As I've said, I *really* want to like this series. I love spec-fic set in a boarding school. But this one....this one had some major issues I struggled to forgive. My biggest beef is how absurd the character's reactions are to practically anything.

Oh, there's a (view spoiler)

A beautiful little girl is (view spoiler)
Mike (the Paladin)
Oct 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Again a good series...a boy from the past gets "slung" into the future by a speicial magic "marble". Bummer huh? Since he can never go back...history has moved on without him and now he has to make his way in the present. Too bad the one who tricked him into using the Time Twister is still around (though an old, old man now...old Ezekiel Bloor, top dog at the school) and he'd still like to "do away" with his cousin Henry, and also of course Charlei who is also related and in the stew up to his ...more
Nicole
Dec 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone, but especially younger kids not quite ready for Harry Potter
This was a great continuation to the series and more is starting to come out about Charlie's missing father, although, again, I think it's pretty obvious to adults reading it where he is. There's enough going on in the story that you don't think too much about his dad, though. This is a fun, fast-paced, fantasy series that's not quite as serious as Harry Potter but is a good place for younger kids to start before getting into the Harry Potter books, which I think are pretty heavy for them.
Furrawn
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ive just read this book for the second time. I dont think Jenny Nimmos books are very well known here in the states. The books are immersive and quite wonderful.

Very different from Harry Potter... and yet, if you love HP, you should give this series a try.

These books are perfect for a Netflix series... just sayin.
Rida
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Great book love it =)
Carolyn
Feb 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i liked this book out of the whole series. I don't know why but it was my type of book. yep.
Lisa
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the 2nd book in The Children of the Red King series!

Time is running out for Charlie Bone . . .

With the scheming Yewbeam aunts on the prowl, and the Bloors out to catch him, Henry will need Charlie's help just to stay alive. Bloor's Academy can be a very dangerous place . . .

I'm rereading this series for the (maybe) 5th time
Joie de Livre
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why do I always forget to update my progress so whenever I go back on Goodreads I see that a book with 300 pages took me ten days to read?smhXD

Other than that I have always loved the originality and creativity of the plot and history and the Harry Potter/school of magic vibes!The characters are great(especially the names) and the powers are cool.I gave this book four and a half stars because I really enjoyed it but some things the characters said didn't really flow.I generally really liked this
Chey
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like I said, it's is childrens book and I'm not a child anymore. But still, it's a funny book, even though I'm too old for it. I know I've read this one before, in Dutch, but I actually couldn't remember anything from it. I'll probably read the next one too, but not right now.

Now I need a book that is actually written for my age haha.
Amy
Nov 19, 2018 added it
i forgot how much i liked reading these books and am really glad that i have decided to read them again. although i have only read the first five of this series and am excited to read the ones that come after the fifth one after i have reread the first five so i can remember what happens before i finsish the series.
⚓Its me Irina the READER⚓
I read all of the books in this wonderful series a couple of years ago! And found out that I hadn't rated them so here it is!
Zak K.
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book is fantastic.
Sanjana Babu
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm really enjoying my reread of this series! It was such a special series in my childhood, and it's such a joy to reread them again. 5/5 even with its flaws because of its nostalgic value for me.

(Some spoilers below)
Pros:
1. One of the things I really enjoy about this book is the increased world building elements in it. We get a better understanding about the Red King, and we start to have a lot more players come into the story which makes the overall story more exciting.
2. The characters
Joanna
I enjoyed this episode in the Charlie Bone series more than the first book, but still feel this series is only okay. My seven year old son is really enjoying these books and we already have the third book out from the library, but I wouldn't continue the series if I were reading these by myself. The characters are pretty black and white and their emotions seem relatively uncontemplative and unreflective. The plot centers around a relative of Charlie's who accidentally uses the time twister of ...more
Robbie
Sep 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Charlie Bone and the Time Twister (The Children of the Red King, Book 2)
by Jenny Nimmo
402 pages
Listening Library

This is the second book to The Charlie Bone series. In this book, Charlie's new term starts off at Bloor's Academy, and is hoping for no more surprises. Too bad for him though, he got into more than he could handle, and traveled back through time to the year 1916. In this time period he meats his Great-Great-uncle Henry, who needs his help to survive.

This was an okay
Maddy
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I'm still not in love with this series, but it's definitely getting interesting. I actually enjoyed this sequel a LOT better than the first novel, which I really didn't like that much. Like the first book, the writing is still a bit young for my taste, but the world-building that takes place in this sequel sets it apart from the first book. I was shocked by how much I'm truly enjoying getting to know these characters. While I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue the series after reading the first ...more
John
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all my friends
This book had a much stronger story than the first.And the first book was amazing.this book shows charlie's powers much more and it also leaves a bigger picture in your mind.This book shows much more action but it is still able to keep its great storyline without there being one bad part.The best part to me had to be when charlie uses the timetwister to discover most of his families history.
Jenn
Apr 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I just finished this book recently this past week on my flight home from Florida. Again, Charlie Bone grabs my attention and I was happy to find out Henry Yewbeam is Charlie's ancestor at the beginning of the book. The best part was when Charlie enters a photo of a menacing looking wizard named Skarpo. I highly recommend this book for 6th graders and up!
Reed
Oct 04, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is full of exciting twists that will excite any reader. A word of warning though the book at some parts may not make sense and I had to reread certain parts to get what was what happening during the story. Other than that this book is a good read.
Ursula
For the preteen age group, it is a fun book. Above that age group, you might notice some flaws and similarities, but it's still an entertaining read.
Kandee
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good continuation of the story of an underdog figuring out who he is and what his family can do.
Sarah Nsiala
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book, I Enjoyed it soo much.
Stephanie Tiner
Feb 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
these books are great for all ages. it requires a certain love for fiction to read them but everyone should give them a try. these are wonderful!
M Yeazel
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: tweenie, fiction, faery
I did not like this just as much as last time. Probably least fave if the series.
Nilsson
I don't know if I'd have the nerve to play around with time, unless the situation truly called for it. The results are hugely uncertain and precarious.
Monique
Book Two of this fast moving childrens action series is done and though this series has at least seven books (our library currently has four volumes) I am not going to read anymore as my Reading list is out of control and I need to expand myself to other reads to recommend to my readers..So this second book takes on a different problem with a boy from 1916 using a time twisting marble and finding himself in Bloors Academy with the other children endowed with powers from the Red King.So yea ...more
Gloria
Charlie's adventure actually begins several decades ago, when his great-grandfather James' older brother Henry disappears from Bloor's Academy. Henry reappears at Bloor's when the temperature reaches the same low, as this is now winter term. Charlie finds him, and there is a good bit of hiding Henry. But the Bloor's find Henry and imprison him.

Tancred and Lysander have a falling-out, which is resolved after Tancred's encounter with a tree.

The Flames (three cats) and Mr. Onimous help rescue
Kristin DeGarmo
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great sequel! Ive read this series before but its been so long I cant remember what happens so it was like reading it for the first time. I was so happy when Henry was rescued and able to live with his brother by the sea. I just wonder what will happen to him once his brother passes away since hes old. I wonder what happened to the time twister though, what did Mrs. Bloor do with it? I also wonder why Charlie cant talk to the Red King. I remember something about the shadow being an obstacle ...more
Molly
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This second in the Charlie Bone series picks up where book one left off--in the dead of winter. Life seems to be settling down and becoming routine (if that is at all possible with a 12 y/o boy who can hear photographic conversations). Routine that is until Henry shows up. And with Henry begins a new set of adventures, where once again light is pitched against the dark forces. This time however, the dark has the edge until help comes from an unexpected source, and with the help of the Time ...more
Charlie Bone RP: Charlie Bone and the Time Twister Discussion 1 7 Jan 28, 2013 12:10PM

• The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #2)
  • Magyk (Septimus Heap, #1)
  • The Reality Bug (Pendragon, #4)
  • The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4)
  • The Lost City of Faar (Pendragon, #2)
  • The Fire Within (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #1)
  • The Hidden Window Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #34)
  • Icefire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • The Never War (Pendragon, #3)
  • The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5)
  • Wizardology (Ologies, #3)
  • The Guide to the Territories of Halla
  • The Fire Eternal (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #4)
  • The Witch Tree Symbol (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #33)
  • The Secret of the Golden Pavilion (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #36)
  • I Survived the Destruction of Pompeii, AD 79 (I Survived, #10)
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
Jenny Nimmo was born in Windsor, Berkshire, England and educated at boarding schools in Kent and Surrey from the age of six until the age of sixteen, when she ran away from school to become a drama student/assistant stage manager with Theater South East. She graduated and acted in repertory theater in various towns and cities: Eastbourne, Tunbridge Wells, Brighton, Hastings, and Bexhill.

She left

The Children of the Red King (8 books)
  • Midnight for Charlie Bone (The Children of the Red King, #1)
  • Charlie Bone and the Invisible Boy (The Children of the Red King, #3)
  • Charlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors (The Children of the Red King, #4)
  • Charlie Bone and the Hidden King (The Children of the Red King, #5)
  • Charlie Bone and the Beast (The Children of the Red King, #6)
  • Charlie Bone and the Shadow (The Children of the Red King, #7)
  • Charlie Bone and the Red Knight (Children of the Red King, #8)