Start by marking “Relation of My Imprisonment” as Want to Read:
Relation of My Imprisonment

Relation of My Imprisonment

The Relation of My Imprisonment is a work of fiction utilizing a form invented in the seventeenth century by imprisoned Puritan divines. Designed to be exemplary, works of this type were aimed at brethren outside the prison walls and functioned primarily as figurative dramatization of the test of faith all true believers must endure. These "relation," framed by scripture a ...more
Published March 27th 1996 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Relation of My Imprisonment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Relation of My Imprisonment

Start your review of Relation of My Imprisonment
J213
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Three stars, begrudgingly. It's creative and it definitely shows Banks' ability as an author but this book is mostly pointless. In fact, I don't get it at all and I don't really care either.
Bob Luxenberg
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Ballsy. Who else but Banks would dare write in a style from the seventeenth century of imprisoned Puritans!. Entertaining; not his best. But - as he is a master- that’s not saying much. One histerically funny part.
Kevin
Mar 13, 2009 rated it liked it
A Swiftian satire on the conventions of religion and the political system of imprisonment. Don't let the mock-seventeenth century style throw you--this book is very droll. Unobtrusive details are telling and sometimes hilarious.
Tanya
Apr 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Strange story essentially about a worshiping the dead religion and a man who practices it (and his insights henceforth).
Dan
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
I love Rusell Banks. This one just did not do it for me though. Very slow. Very dull. Very Very depressing. If that is what you are looking for in a book then this is the one for you.
Ken
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Something of an academic/literary exercise, often dry, this slender novel is primarily for Banks completists only.
Mark
May 22, 2009 rated it liked it
An interesting literary excercise, but as compelling fiction? Not so much.
Zachary

• Idaho
  • Waiting for Eden
  • Redeployment
  • Voyage de Paris à Java / Un drame au bord de la mer
  • Trial By Fire: L'état du Texas a-t-il exécuté un innocent?
  • האישה הגדולה מן החלומות
  • As Cool As I Am
  • Maigret and the Man on the Bench (Maigret #41)
  • The Mystery Guest
  • The Panda Theory
  • Beaujolais Nouveau Est
  • The Wrong Case
  • Maigret et l'indicateur
  • The Wilt Alternative (Wilt, #2)
  • Eyes Full of Empty
  • Meurtres à Willow Pond
Russell Banks is a member of the International Parliament of Writers and a member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters. His work has been translated into twenty languages and has received numerous international prizes and awards. He has written fiction, and more recently, non-fiction, with Dreaming up America. His main works include the novels Continental Drift, Rule of the Bone, Cloudsplit ...more