Start by marking “Stress Fracture: A Memoir of Psychosis” as Want to Read:
Stress Fracture: A Memoir of Psychosis

Stress Fracture: A Memoir of Psychosis

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Stress Fracture: A Memoir of Psychosis This psychology memoir is about the things that break us and how we heal. It offers a raw view a 33-year-old wife and mother swallowed by psychosis. The episode includes meeting Jesus Christ, dancing with Ellen DeGeneres, and narrowly escaping eternity in the underworld. Casually called a nervous breakdown, psychosis is an entrapment ...more
Published June 22nd 2014 by Tara Meissner

To ask other readers questions about Stress Fracture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stress Fracture

Diane Yannick
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Several times a year I just have to read a book about mental illness. I am always ready to explore that fine line between sanity and insanity. I grew up in fear of causing my mother another nervous breakdown. She had them regularly and I was usually to blame. I've been trying to figure out how I did this ever since childhood. I've also been trying to avoid going down that path, I guess.

I'm glad that I read this book as the author took us into her world of psychosis without trying to pretty it up
Amanda Linsmeier
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I rarely read memoirs but I'm so glad I read this. Ms. Meissner's account of her psychotic break was riveting, sad, shocking, and eye-opening. I found myself feeling a range of emotions while reading. The author writes well, and educates even among the stories that were disturbing. At times I even laughed- yes, there's even a hint of humor among the more serious content. As someone who does not have Bipolar, or have family members who are affected (errr, at least that I know of), I still got som ...more
Shelley Kubitz Mahannah
Ms. Meissner writes a vivid and compelling memoir that chronicles the events surrounding her psychotic break and eventual diagnosis of bipolar disorder. What makes this book important is that it openly discusses Meissner's "nervous breakdown" and directly addresses the taboo that society puts on mental illness. This is a brave book and it is beautifully written.
Sandra Burns
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read, for anyone, who suffers from a mental illness, or loves someone with it.

Tara was very brave, to write this. I am sure some recollections were painful, but she told her truth. However painful, this will help others. Ty Tara.

As someone who is a lifelong depressive, I understand the rage, outbursts, breaking things, punching walls(my personal favorite) and aggression. Also, the loss of jobs, friends, and relationships.

Her book, opens up the door, for dialogue. If you are, or kn
Cindy
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Most of us will never have to (or get to) experience psychosis, but Ms. Meissner allows us an actual tour. The way she describes events are detailed, and fascinating. Her use of language is better in some parts of the book than others, but overall is excellent. She has put together a full account of her most difficult days and she has done so quite eloquently! I believe she's coming to a place of seeing some humor in a devastating, yet incredible piece of her history. I wonder if she realizes no ...more
Dnicebear
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What's the difference between saying nervous breakdown and psychosis? Is psychosis an injury? Ms Meissner gives us lots of chance to consider both the breaking and the healing of mental health, and the language of each, through detailed memories of her own experiences.

As she begins to recover, Ms Meissner doesn't want her memories to be hallucinations or delusions. "'They were real,' I said, 'It really happened.' ...I wanted to be special and chosen rather than helpless and crazy. I wanted ther
Marcie
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tara Meissner does a phenomenal job of sharing her very personal experience of what it is like to have a psychotic break and end up in a psychiatric hospital and her couragous recovery. This book should be a must read at the high school level to help end the stigma about mental health in general. I honestly believe educating the student would bring about a massive shift in the world of psychiatry. It is because of such negative stereotypes that many psychiatric patients do not want to believe th ...more
Deborah Blanchard
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
This was a very compelling read for me. Suffering from bipolar disorder myself, I could understand how she felt. There are different types of bipolar disorder with varying degrees of severity. This was an extraordinary case and obviously quite severe. I found the book to be very well written , with a good flow to it. I commend Tara for her courage to tell her story. It takes guts to put your life out there for people to read. This is an important book for everyone, including professionals, to re ...more
Martha
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a memoir about a woman diagnosed with bipolar disorder. It follows her life up until her breakdown and time spent in a psychiatric hospital and then her return home and everything she went through for a year after her diagnosis. It also shows how family and friends of hers were affected by this. This gave me more insight into a person with a mental disorder. I found it interesting and very well written.
Rachel
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Undoubtedly this was a painful book to right and at times it was painful to read, but it is an important and well written memoir. Tara bares all and by extension offers insights into mental illness. Just because we cannot see it, does not mean it is not there. I hope I am more open and understanding after reading this.
Barb
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The strength of this memoir lies in the honest and powerful prose the author uses to describe her psychotic break. The chapters dealing with her inpatient stay are particularly intense. Some aspects of the book would benefit from a bit more editorial polish but that doesn't take away from its message about what it's like to live with mental illness and to thrive in spite of it.
Kiley
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very open and honest account of mental illness from the perspective of a mother with three young sons. Some very sad parts and some hilarious, laugh out loud parts! It was a quick read that I much enjoyed!
Molly
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book poignantly, realistically depicts the effects of mental illness on a family. The author's unflinching account of her manic episode, bipolar disorder diagnosis and subsequent rebuilding of her life is riveting. A must read!
Cheryl
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I won this book on Goodreads. It is the story of a woman's mental illness and how it she managed to cover it up until having a bread and being put in an institution. She told how she coped and how her famiy coped with her illness
Michael Oswald
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Oddly, I felt like this book was written for me. It's kind of creeping me out.
Amoreena Petersen
Jul 26, 2015 rated it liked it
For a memoir this was really well written and very interesting. I like reading about mental illness but this is the first time I've actually read about bipolar disorder.
Ruth
  • Ready for Air: A Journey through Premature Motherhood
  • Circling My Mother: A Memoir
  • Five Men Who Broke My Heart: A Memoir
  • Prairie Silence: A Memoir
  • The Memory Journal (The Memory Child #0.5)
  • She's Not Herself
  • Power (Hikers Trilogy #1)
  • Laurel Heights (Haunted Hearts #1)
  • The Falling of Grace (Falling, #2)
  • The Blue Jay's Dance: A Birth Year
  • The Incidental Spy
  • Shot in the Head a Sister's Memoir, a Brother's Struggle
  • Beneath the Willow
  • The Unseen Face
  • A Bird Without Wings
Tara is a former journalist and a lifelong creative writer.