Start by marking “Behind Closed Doors (DCI Louisa Smith #2)” as Want to Read:
Behind Closed Doors (DCI Louisa Smith #2)

Behind Closed Doors

(DCI Louisa Smith #2)

Ten years ago, fifteen-year-old Scarlett Rainsford vanished while on a family holiday in Greece. Was she abducted, or did she run away? Lou Smith worked the case as a police constable, and failing to find Scarlett has been one of the biggest regrets of her career. No one is more shocked than Lou to learn that Scarlett has unexpectedly been found during a Special Branch rai ...more
Published March 31st 2015 by Harper Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Behind Closed Doors, please sign up.
Andrea Amanda, I approached this book with exactly the same expectations as you did. I absolutely loved the standalone thrillers and did not like "Under a…moreAmanda, I approached this book with exactly the same expectations as you did. I absolutely loved the standalone thrillers and did not like "Under a Silent Moon" much. This one is the same type of police procedural with the same protocols and mock-forms and so on. The main plot is interesting enough and when the parts of the novel that tell the victim's story are haunting and well done (some of her real skill shines through), but unfortunately this story is embedded in the novel's procedural framework, which is confusing, irritating and plain boring. (less)

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
"Sometimes you make mistakes. And if you don't own up to them, they turn into bigger mistakes and bigger ones....My name is Scarlett Rainsford...I'm from a town in Briarstone, in England. I was on holiday with my family when they took me......I hadn't wanted to come on holiday at all. I'd been dreading it. A whole week with my parents and my sister? I wouldn't be able to stand it. We'd end up killing each other. Who knew what would happen?"

DCI Lou (Louisa)Smith worked Scarlett's disappearance as
Melinda
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Quite a page turner, Haynes displays slick prose in minute detail, the brutality of human trafficking is distressful. An unmistakably uneasy well crafted mystery.

A cast of memorable female protagonists. Two female protagonists standout - Lou, a dedicated officer of the law, empathetic, she's rigid yet flexible. Awkward in her romantic relationship she slowly manages to let her walls down. She faces an ongoing battle of balancing her professional and personal life. A smidgen of a romantic storyli
Liz Barnsley
So the second book in the “Louisa Smith” series and with this one, the character and the series comes into its own. The introduction (Under a Silent Moon) was a clever take on the Police Procedural, intelligently done and highly absorbing. With “Behind Closed Doors” Ms Haynes as taken it to the next level – a darker tale for sure, some emotional themes exploring a side of humanity we rather wish didnt exist, with another cast of superbly creative characters that keep you turning the pages.

When S
Bill Kupersmith
Ever since reading Into the Darkest Corner I have thought Elizabeth Haynes ranks with Tana French & Sharon Bolton as a creator of crime fiction, but till now she’s not quite been able to bring all of her strengths to bear in one book. Into the Darkest Corner had a hugely affecting & lovable principal character & victim in Cathy, but by half-way compassion fatigue was beginning to overcome me watching her used as a doormat. Genevieve in Revenge of the Tide (aka Dark Tide) is truly adm ...more
Mandy
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This is the second book in the series featuring DCI Louisa Smith. In this story Lou is shocked when a girl who had been kidnapped ten years previously turns up alive, just a few miles from where her family lives. She is also leading the investigation into the murder of a businessman and the case of a young man who has been beaten so badly he's in a coma.
A lot of the police characters are the same as book one in this series, so I felt like I knew everyone already, which was nice. As with the last
Elaine
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
In the second Louisa Smith novel, Lou is in for a shock when a case from the past is suddenly brought back to life. 10 years ago Scarlett Rainsford vanished whilst on holiday in Greece and Louisa, then a DC, worked on the case. Now, Scarlett has returned and Louisa and Sam Holland must work to gain her confidence and find out what happened to her 10 years ago and where she has been in the meantime. A job not made easier by the demands of her existing workload – investigating the beating of a you ...more
Jules
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Unfortunately, I was unable to get into Behind Closed Doors, and gave up half way through. Although I was reasonably interested in Scarlett’s story, I wasn’t keen on other aspects of the novel. I didn’t find the police procedural sections very interesting, and felt it dragged me away from Scarlett’s story.

I also didn’t fully understand the point of the police intelligence reports. They just felt like they interrupted the flow of the story, and the witness statements were so tiny, they were quit
Elaine
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, thrillers
3.5 Stars

photo images 1_zpstrqpclkw.jpg

14 year old Scarlett Rainsford disappears from Greece whilst on holiday with her parents and younger sister.

10 years later she is found working in a brothel back in her home town.

Where has she been for the last ten years?

DCI Lou Smith wants answers...

Do her parents know more than they lead the police to believe?

My thoughts....

I enjoyed the story of Scarlett and what happened to her. I found it believable and quite terrifying at times.
Although the story did engage me, I did at times fi
Deanna
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
After reading "Into the Darkest Corner" and really enjoying it, I was looking forward to this novel. I somehow missed the prequel to this one "Under a Silent Moon". However, I read that others read this novel only and that it may not be necessary to read the other novel first. I decided to read "Behind Closed Doors" as I was very interested in what appeared to be the main storyline. The case of 15 year old Scarlett Rainsford who vanished 10 years ago, while on a family vacation in Greece.

At fir
Luanne Ollivier
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've been a fan of Elizabeth Haynes since I stumbled upon her first book - Into the Darkest Corner. She was quickly added to my list of 'must read every book they write' authors.

Behind Closed Doors is Haynes's fifth book and the second to feature Detective Inspector Louisa Smith of the Briarstone Major Crimes division.

Teenager Scarlett Rainford disappeared ten years ago while on vacation with her family in Greece. Was she taken? Or did she run away? She - or her body -was never found.

Until now.
Paromjit
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Behind Closed Doors is a pertinent title for this dark thriller which looks at the underbelly of the sex trafficking industry experienced by Scarlett,since she was kidnapped (as a 15 year old teenager) whilst on holiday with her dysfunctional family in Greece. Elizabeth Haynes has constructed a well crafted and meticulously researched police procedural delineated by real protocols, forms and reports.

A young Louisa had been part of the earlier police search to find Scarlett that failed. It begins
Vicki - I Love Reading
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
This seems to be the first book I have read by this author, but it's safe to say it wont be the last.
I hadn't realised when I started to read this that it was book 2. I hate reading books out of order.
It was an interesting read. I liked how we got to see past and present.
Scarlett disappeared while on holiday with her family. No trace of her, never to be seen again. Or so it seemed. 10 years later Scarlett turns up, but where can she have been for all this time and doing what, with whom?
After bei
Albert
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Behind Closed Doors by Elizabeth Haynes is an intense crime drama that at too many points seems to lose its way as it tells the story by flipping back and forth from the past to the present.

Ten years past fifteen year old Scarlett Rainsford vanished while on a family vacation in Greece. A constable at the time, Lou Smith worked the missing person case, never sure if Scarlett had been abducted or had run away. Ten years later, during a raid by Special Branch in Briarstone at a suspected brothel,
Katy Noyes
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it

A story no parent wants to read. Fortunately, if you're worried about becoming upset with the 'child abduction and prostitution' elements of the story, I found them leaning towards the less-graphic side. While there is plenty to be shocked and upset over, the details of some scenes that would be the worst are glossed over enough to give you the idea without dwelling on the more upsetting images of what is happening.

Still, it's dark, it's incredibly sad, and it's violent. Picking up with
Cleo Bannister
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-series, own
Scarlett Rainsford has been missing since that morning ten years ago when her family woke up on the last day of their holiday in Greece to find her missing. DCI Louisa Smith was a DC at the time and worked on the case, it was one of those she never forgot, after all Scarlett was a vulnerable fifteen year old girl! When she receives the call to tell her not only is Scarlett alive but she is back in Briarstone, having been found by Lou’s colleagues during a raid on a local brothel, Louisa is keen ...more
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Reviewed at www.snazzybooks.com.

I've definitely become a little obsessed with thrillers recently; I've always loved reading them but can't get enough recently! I love the suspense and mystery of the genre and Behind Closed Doors certainly doesn't disappoint!

The story is actually the second in the DCI Louisa Smith series; I haven't read the first (Under A Silent Moon) but found that didn't impact my enjoyment. I might have picked up on certain additional things if I'd read the first in the series
Gail
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book grabs you from the first page and doesn't let you go until the end. The pace is relentless for the most part, and I couldn't put it down.

This is the second in the DCI Louisa Smith series.

It starts off with the abduction of 15 year old Scarlett Rainsford who is on holiday with her parents and sister, Juliette, on the Greek island of Rhodes.

The story alternates between the start of the abduction in 2003 and the present day. Louisa had been a young DC in 2003 and was involved in trying
Joan
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I felt like I was really out of my element with this one. I love thrillers, and I love the dark and unsettling plot of Behind Closed Doors. The danger of human trafficking is believable and realistic, especially when we follow Scarlett's story and how she was abducted, and when she thought she was finally rescued, she found out that it was just a different type of hell. I shudder just thinking about it.

And the dynamics of her family is similarly disturbing. Being a fan of psychological thrillers
Valerie
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This excellent police procedural addresses the problem of sex trafficking which is now a worldwide problem. In fact, it is no doubt going on in your city or town, or one very near you. I know that to be true in the area where I live in northern California. Ten years before the beginning of this story, a 15 year old girl disappeared to show up again in the present, working at a brothel in a small town in England. Scarlett Rainsford disappeared while on vacation in Greece with her parents and youn ...more
Andrea
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Susan Angela Wallace
I received this as an arc from net galley in exchange for an honest review.
Scarlett and her family are on holiday in Greece. Scarlett is taken from her family. DCI Lou and her team are on the case.
Very good read.
I liked the story and the characters.
It took me a while to get used to the way it was written.
Keep going to different characters. And keep going from past to present.
I really wanted to know what happened to Scarlett. A real page Turner,
and Wow what a twist at the end.
Didn't see t
Lynn
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Scarlett Rainsford is a typical teenager on vacation with her parents, embarrassed by them and petulant when in their presence. The only saving grace is that she has met a boy, a handsome Greek boy with an inviting smile. She makes secret plans to meet Nico after her parents have retired for the night. 15 year old Scarlett never returns.

Ten years later, she is found in a brothel in England. DCI Louisa Smith was part of the original team investigating Scarlett's disappearance. She is astounded to
Wendy
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Behind Closed Doors by Elizabeth Haynes
Harper, 2015
Crime Fiction; 496 pgs

Behind Closed Doors by Eizabeth Haynes is the author's second book in the Detective Inspector Louisa Smith series. Much like the first book in the series, Under a Silent Moon, Haynes takes the reader into the heart of a police investigation. Where this book differs, however, is in its presentation and intensity. Interspersed with the investigation is the third person narrative from young Scarlett, retelling her account of b
Margaret Dudgeon
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
really enjoyed this even though I hadn't read 1st one didn't matter. loved characters definitely worth a read.
Susan Hampson
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Firstly I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read and review this book. This is the second book by this author that I have read, the first being Into the Darkest Corner which I felt was harrowing. This novel though played with every emotion I have and at one point it made me cry. When 15 year old Scarlett Rainsford goes missing while on a family holiday in Rhodes the Greek Police believe they will be looking for a dead body. Valuable hours are lost before the Brit ...more
Julie G
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Writing
I fell in love with Elizabeth Haynes when I read Into the Darkest Corner, but somehow she fell off my radar until recently, when I rediscovered her while working on my Scanning the Backlist series. I grabbed a copy of Under a Silent Moon to read in preparation for this one and absolutely fell in love with the series. Behind Closed Doors is the second DCI Louisa Smith story, and I picture a bright future for the series. Haynes was a crime analyst before she was an author and it really show
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction

Behind Closed Doors is an uncomfortable but compelling read. With a storyline to do with human trafficking I could honestly have sat down and wept in parts knowing that even though this is a work of fiction it is a very serious issue that is very much true to life.

The story alternates between current day and the lead up to Scarlett going missing, the day she goes missing and what has happened to her up to her being found.

Lou feels quite guilty having worked on the original case of missi
Laurel-Rain
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In October 2013, in Briarstone, DCI Louisa Smith is tasked with an investigation that went cold ten years before, but has now resurrected itself. A missing girl, Scarlett Rainsford, has reappeared and is in safekeeping in a hotel.

In August 2003, Scarlett disappeared one night from the apartments where her family was staying while vacationing in Greece. Her younger sister Juliette had no information to provide at the time of her disappearance, and neither did her parents, Clive and Annie.

But ther
Ashley
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I couldn't put this book down and all of the narrative elements made for a gripping read. We get a sense right out of the gate that Lou Smith is a little overwhelmed as a DCI: her team is working to solve a murder and an assault when Lou gets asked to be a consultant for a case that went unsolved a decade ago. Scarlett Rainsford, a local girl who disappeared on a family vacation in Greece 10 years ago, has reappeared living at a brothel nearby. Haynes really allows Scarlett's story to shine as i ...more
Suzan Lloyd
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
I really liked that this novel opened up a different perspective to the detection that the Police have to painstakingly do.My best reads are always those that provide me with escapism to another world but leave me with something to think about. This certainly does both as the themes of human trafficking and psychological and physical abuse are explored and unravelled.

The Author gives the reader enough detail for this to be a painful and unsettling read. There are clues that I tried to ignore hop

• The Keeper (DI Sean Corrigan #2)
  • A Savage Hunger (Paula Maguire, #4)
  • No Place to Die (DI Mike Lockyer, #2)
  • Breaking Free: True Stories of Girls Who Escaped Modern Slavery
  • After the Darkness
  • Please Don't Leave Me Here
  • Cast into Doubt
  • The Huaca
  • The Kill (Maeve Kerrigan, #5)
  • Humber Boy B (Cate Austin, #3)
  • A Dark and Twisted Tide (Lacey Flint #4)
  • Hidden
  • Gone (Gardner and Freeman, #2)
  • You Belong To Me (DCI Lorraine Fisher #3)
  • The Lost Witness (Lena Gamble, #2)
  • Her Pretty Bones (Detective Gina Harte, #3)
  • The Distance
  • Smoke Screen
Elizabeth Haynes grew up in Seaford, Sussex and studied English, German and Art History at Leicester University.

She previously worked as a police intelligence analyst and lives in Norfolk with her husband and son.

DCI Louisa Smith (2 books)
  • Under a Silent Moon (DCI Louisa Smith #1)