Start by marking “Behind Closed Doors (DCI Louisa Smith #2)” as Want to Read:
Behind Closed Doors (DCI Louisa Smith #2)

Behind Closed Doors

(DCI Louisa Smith #2)

Ten years ago, fifteen-year-old Scarlett Rainsford vanished while on a family holiday in Greece. Was she abducted, or did she run away? Lou Smith worked the case as a police constable, and failing to find Scarlett has been one of the biggest regrets of her career. No one is more shocked than Lou to learn that Scarlett has unexpectedly been found during a Special Branch rai ...more
Published March 31st 2015 by Harper Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Behind Closed Doors, please sign up.
Andrea Amanda, I approached this book with exactly the same expectations as you did. I absolutely loved the standalone thrillers and did not like "Under a Si…moreAmanda, I approached this book with exactly the same expectations as you did. I absolutely loved the standalone thrillers and did not like "Under a Silent Moon" much. This one is the same type of police procedural with the same protocols and mock-forms and so on. The main plot is interesting enough and when the parts of the novel that tell the victim's story are haunting and well done (some of her real skill shines through), but unfortunately this story is embedded in the novel's procedural framework, which is confusing, irritating and plain boring. (less)

Start your review of Behind Closed Doors (DCI Louisa Smith #2)
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
"Sometimes you make mistakes. And if you don't own up to them, they turn into bigger mistakes and bigger ones....My name is Scarlett Rainsford...I'm from a town in Briarstone, in England. I was on holiday with my family when they took me......I hadn't wanted to come on holiday at all. I'd been dreading it. A whole week with my parents and my sister? I wouldn't be able to stand it. We'd end up killing each other. Who knew what would happen?"

DCI Lou (Louisa)Smith worked Scarlett's disappearance as
Melinda
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Quite a page turner, Haynes displays slick prose in minute detail, the brutality of human trafficking is distressful. An unmistakably uneasy well crafted mystery.

A cast of memorable female protagonists. Two female protagonists standout - Lou, a dedicated officer of the law, empathetic, she's rigid yet flexible. Awkward in her romantic relationship she slowly manages to let her walls down. She faces an ongoing battle of balancing her professional and personal life. A smidgen of a romantic storyli
Liz Barnsley
So the second book in the “Louisa Smith” series and with this one, the character and the series comes into its own. The introduction (Under a Silent Moon) was a clever take on the Police Procedural, intelligently done and highly absorbing. With “Behind Closed Doors” Ms Haynes as taken it to the next level – a darker tale for sure, some emotional themes exploring a side of humanity we rather wish didnt exist, with another cast of superbly creative characters that keep you turning the pages.

When S
Bill Kupersmith
Ever since reading Into the Darkest Corner I have thought Elizabeth Haynes ranks with Tana French & Sharon Bolton as a creator of crime fiction, but till now she’s not quite been able to bring all of her strengths to bear in one book. Into the Darkest Corner had a hugely affecting & lovable principal character & victim in Cathy, but by half-way compassion fatigue was beginning to overcome me watching her used as a doormat. Genevieve in Revenge of the Tide (aka Dark Tide) is truly admirable, endo ...more
Elaine
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
In the second Louisa Smith novel, Lou is in for a shock when a case from the past is suddenly brought back to life. 10 years ago Scarlett Rainsford vanished whilst on holiday in Greece and Louisa, then a DC, worked on the case. Now, Scarlett has returned and Louisa and Sam Holland must work to gain her confidence and find out what happened to her 10 years ago and where she has been in the meantime. A job not made easier by the demands of her existing workload – investigating the beating of a you ...more
Jules
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Unfortunately, I was unable to get into Behind Closed Doors, and gave up half way through. Although I was reasonably interested in Scarlett’s story, I wasn’t keen on other aspects of the novel. I didn’t find the police procedural sections very interesting, and felt it dragged me away from Scarlett’s story.

I also didn’t fully understand the point of the police intelligence reports. They just felt like they interrupted the flow of the story, and the witness statements were so tiny, they were quit
Deanna
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
After reading "Into the Darkest Corner" and really enjoying it, I was looking forward to this novel. I somehow missed the prequel to this one "Under a Silent Moon". However, I read that others read this novel only and that it may not be necessary to read the other novel first. I decided to read "Behind Closed Doors" as I was very interested in what appeared to be the main storyline. The case of 15 year old Scarlett Rainsford who vanished 10 years ago, while on a family vacation in Greece.

At fir
Elaine
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers, arc
3.5 Stars

photo images 1_zpstrqpclkw.jpg

14 year old Scarlett Rainsford disappears from Greece whilst on holiday with her parents and younger sister.

10 years later she is found working in a brothel back in her home town.

Where has she been for the last ten years?

DCI Lou Smith wants answers...

Do her parents know more than they lead the police to believe?

My thoughts....

I enjoyed the story of Scarlett and what happened to her. I found it believable and quite terrifying at times.
Although the story did engage me, I did at times
Nigel
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's a while since I read "Darkest Corner" which I loved. However a couple more books from this author left me less impressed. Coming across a 2nd hand copy of this I thought I'd give it a try. Glad I did because it kept me reading and I enjoyed it. The characters worked well, pace and tension was good and the overall story had some good twists and turns. Decent read.
Luanne Ollivier
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've been a fan of Elizabeth Haynes since I stumbled upon her first book - Into the Darkest Corner. She was quickly added to my list of 'must read every book they write' authors.

Behind Closed Doors is Haynes's fifth book and the second to feature Detective Inspector Louisa Smith of the Briarstone Major Crimes division.

Teenager Scarlett Rainford disappeared ten years ago while on vacation with her family in Greece. Was she taken? Or did she run away? She - or her body -was never found.

Until now.
Paromjit
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Behind Closed Doors is a pertinent title for this dark thriller which looks at the underbelly of the sex trafficking industry experienced by Scarlett,since she was kidnapped (as a 15 year old teenager) whilst on holiday with her dysfunctional family in Greece. Elizabeth Haynes has constructed a well crafted and meticulously researched police procedural delineated by real protocols, forms and reports.

A young Louisa had been part of the earlier police search to find Scarlett that failed. It begins
Lisa
An excellent police procedural - second in the series of DCI Louisa Smith - it features the mystery of what happened to Scarlett Rainsford 10 years ago in Greece and in present day when she reemerges on the police radar.
It's a multiple point of view and dual timeline book - easy to follow and so skillfully knitted together that you will garner much emotion for the characters involved.

I am a huge fan of Elizabeth Haynes and have loved every book she has written because a) she writes what she know
Vicki - I Love Reading
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
This seems to be the first book I have read by this author, but it's safe to say it wont be the last.
I hadn't realised when I started to read this that it was book 2. I hate reading books out of order.
It was an interesting read. I liked how we got to see past and present.
​Scarlett disappeared while on holiday with her family. No trace of her, never to be seen again. Or so it seemed. 10 years later Scarlett turns up, but where can she have been for all this time and doing what, with whom?
​After b
Albert
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Behind Closed Doors by Elizabeth Haynes is an intense crime drama that at too many points seems to lose its way as it tells the story by flipping back and forth from the past to the present.

Ten years past fifteen year old Scarlett Rainsford vanished while on a family vacation in Greece. A constable at the time, Lou Smith worked the missing person case, never sure if Scarlett had been abducted or had run away. Ten years later, during a raid by Special Branch in Briarstone at a suspected brothel,
Katy Noyes
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it

A story no parent wants to read. Fortunately, if you're worried about becoming upset with the 'child abduction and prostitution' elements of the story, I found them leaning towards the less-graphic side. While there is plenty to be shocked and upset over, the details of some scenes that would be the worst are glossed over enough to give you the idea without dwelling on the more upsetting images of what is happening.

Still, it's dark, it's incredibly sad, and it's violent. Picking up with
Cleopatra  Pullen
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-series, own
Scarlett Rainsford has been missing since that morning ten years ago when her family woke up on the last day of their holiday in Greece to find her missing. DCI Louisa Smith was a DC at the time and worked on the case, it was one of those she never forgot, after all Scarlett was a vulnerable fifteen year old girl! When she receives the call to tell her not only is Scarlett alive but she is back in Briarstone, having been found by Lou’s colleagues during a raid on a local brothel, Louisa is keen ...more
Susan Hampson
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Firstly I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read and review this book. This is the second book by this author that I have read, the first being Into the Darkest Corner which I felt was harrowing. This novel though played with every emotion I have and at one point it made me cry. When 15 year old Scarlett Rainsford goes missing while on a family holiday in Rhodes the Greek Police believe they will be looking for a dead body. Valuable hours are lost before the Brit ...more
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Reviewed at www.snazzybooks.com.

I've definitely become a little obsessed with thrillers recently; I've always loved reading them but can't get enough recently! I love the suspense and mystery of the genre and Behind Closed Doors certainly doesn't disappoint!

The story is actually the second in the DCI Louisa Smith series; I haven't read the first (Under A Silent Moon) but found that didn't impact my enjoyment. I might have picked up on certain additional things if I'd read the first in the series
Gail
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book grabs you from the first page and doesn't let you go until the end. The pace is relentless for the most part, and I couldn't put it down.

This is the second in the DCI Louisa Smith series.

It starts off with the abduction of 15 year old Scarlett Rainsford who is on holiday with her parents and sister, Juliette, on the Greek island of Rhodes.

The story alternates between the start of the abduction in 2003 and the present day. Louisa had been a young DC in 2003 and was involved in trying
Joan
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I felt like I was really out of my element with this one. I love thrillers, and I love the dark and unsettling plot of Behind Closed Doors. The danger of human trafficking is believable and realistic, especially when we follow Scarlett's story and how she was abducted, and when she thought she was finally rescued, she found out that it was just a different type of hell. I shudder just thinking about it.

And the dynamics of her family is similarly disturbing. Being a fan of psychological thrillers
Andrea
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
 wade
May 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Through the first hundred or so pages of the book I believed I was really going to like it but then it all sort of bogged down for me. The book follows a detective named Louise Smith and two cases that she is working on (one current and one a dead case come back to life). I think she is trying to do too much here and the moving back and forth from one (missing woman) to the other (assault with drug implications) detracts. She also intersperses dozens of police documents that kill the momentum. ...more
Sue Wallace
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this as an arc from net galley in exchange for an honest review.
Scarlett and her family are on holiday in Greece. Scarlett is taken from her family. DCI Lou and her team are on the case.
Very good read.
I liked the story and the characters.
It took me a while to get used to the way it was written.
Keep going to different characters. And keep going from past to present.
I really wanted to know what happened to Scarlett. A real page Turner,
and Wow what a twist at the end.
Didn't see t
Lynn
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Scarlett Rainsford is a typical teenager on vacation with her parents, embarrassed by them and petulant when in their presence. The only saving grace is that she has met a boy, a handsome Greek boy with an inviting smile. She makes secret plans to meet Nico after her parents have retired for the night. 15 year old Scarlett never returns.

Ten years later, she is found in a brothel in England. DCI Louisa Smith was part of the original team investigating Scarlett's disappearance. She is astounded to
Wendy
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Behind Closed Doors by Elizabeth Haynes
Harper, 2015
Crime Fiction; 496 pgs

Behind Closed Doors by Eizabeth Haynes is the author's second book in the Detective Inspector Louisa Smith series. Much like the first book in the series, Under a Silent Moon, Haynes takes the reader into the heart of a police investigation. Where this book differs, however, is in its presentation and intensity. Interspersed with the investigation is the third person narrative from young Scarlett, retelling her account of b
Barbara Bryan
I really like Haynes’ writing and this story moved right along. But it was just sad and frustratingly solved without a single happy ending I could enjoy.
Scarlett and Juliette, sisters with terrible parents and lives of desperation. Scarlett is kidnapped, Juliette left to cope alone. Sad sad sad.
Karen
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Scarlett Rainsford disappeared when she was 15 years old whilst on a family holiday in Greece, and DCI Louisa Smith was a detective constable who was part of this original investigation, so she was surprised when she turns up in a raid of a brothel in her home town. How did she get here? Lou is determined to find out what has happened to her, and why she has turned up in her home town now, is she part of the trafficking operation she is investigating? Lou is a conscientious investigator, who is ...more
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am firmly entrenched in the British Police Drama stage of quarantine reading. Liked this one a lot too. Right up my alley with a story about a victim of kidnapping and sex trafficking. 2nd in a series and will there be more? Because I will read them.
Margaret Dudgeon
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
really enjoyed this even though I hadn't read 1st one didn't matter. loved characters definitely worth a read.
Julie G
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Writing
I fell in love with Elizabeth Haynes when I read Into the Darkest Corner, but somehow she fell off my radar until recently, when I rediscovered her while working on my Scanning the Backlist series. I grabbed a copy of Under a Silent Moon to read in preparation for this one and absolutely fell in love with the series. Behind Closed Doors is the second DCI Louisa Smith story, and I picture a bright future for the series. Haynes was a crime analyst before she was an author and it really show
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Po pabaigos
  • #В постели с твоим мужем. Записки любовницы. Женам читать обязательно!
  • De kraamhulp
  • Suite 405
  • Murder in the East End (Kat Holloway Mysteries #4)
  • A Good Enough Mother
  • His & Hers
  • A Whisper of Sorrows (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #6)
  • The Keeper (DI Sean Corrigan #2)
  • Her Daughter's Mother
  • Die Betrogene
  • The Last Kashmiri Rose (Joe Sandilands, #1)
  • Die letzte Spur
  • The Last Bloody Straw (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #5)
  • Im Tal des Fuchses
  • The Snow Rose
  • A Leap of Faith
  • The Stepdaughter
Elizabeth Haynes grew up in Seaford, Sussex and studied English, German and Art History at Leicester University.

She previously worked as a police intelligence analyst and lives in Norfolk with her husband and son.

DCI Louisa Smith (2 books)
  • Under a Silent Moon (DCI Louisa Smith #1)

News & Interviews

Award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa’s highly anticipated new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America, arrives...