Start by marking “Safe Harbor” as Want to Read:
Safe Harbor

Safe Harbor

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  599 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Kip and Shelley spend their summers together on Block Island. A tragedy in Shelley’s life ends their friendship. A tragedy in Kip’s brings them back together. Can the magic of the island teach them how to trust and how to love?
Published September 1st 1991 by Harlequin Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Safe Harbor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Safe Harbor

Mary B.
This is not the type of romance I would have normally chosen to read, and it was actually quite by accident that I began this one. I downloaded it a while back when it was a freebie on Amazon. I had been scrolling through my archive list in the Kindle for iPhone when I accidentally touched this one and downloaded it to my phone. When I went to go move it back to the archive, I decided to open it instead and read the first few lines. It had me hooked from the first page.

The first third of the bo
Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads)

This is a story about two kids turned teenagers, Kip and Shelley who meet every year when their families come for summers to Block island. It is a beautiful exploration of their childhood friendship, which remains deep and abiding over the 8 years they meet during summers. They do and share everything together from cycling around the island, swimming, discussing and reading books, spying on Kip’s older sister and her boyfriend, and even learning to kiss with tongue and without bumping their nose
Alice V.
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelly Ballard grows up going to the family beach house on Block Island with her parents each summer and spending time with her best friend a boy named Kip Stroud. Then one summer her father is too busy to join them on weekends. It all ends one day when her crying mother tells her they must return home with no explanation. Years later Shelly returns to Block Island and runs in to Kip who is now a grown man who has returned with his own tragedies. Can they help each other heal from wounds their h ...more
GoldenjoyBazyll
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, fiction
Kip and Shelly are childhood friends that summered on Block Island every year. Their friendship came to an abrupt stand still during their 15th year when Shelly's family undergoes a major overturn. She disappears without a trace and years later after Kips wife is killed he decides to go back to the Island for a little R & R and guess who is living there. The two of them resume their friendship and find each other as adults. Ok so it sounds like a cookie cutter romance but there was something ...more
Amanda
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
fast and easy read...love story
TINNGG
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
First off, that page count must have included ads for various harlequin lines, copyright page, title, etc. What I read was 219 pages. Which brings me to this: someone on a forum asked a while back how many books were 3 star reads. I replied, "most of them". They were astonished. There are a lot of reasons a book might be a 3 star read - characters, plot, failure to connect with THAT reader, or in this case, ambition coupled with limited page count and delusions of grandeur regarding skill of the ...more
Dawn
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kip and Shelley are childhood friends, Tragedy brings them back together as adults where they give in to love, Sweet relationship but drags out.
Frances Brown
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
I received this book as a giveaway by the author, and at first thought it was YA. The story begins when the hero & heroine are fifteen, friends who spend summers on Block Island with their parents. Since it wasn't what I was expecting, and I'm not a huge fan of YA, I almost put it down. But after a hilarious, touching, and skillfully crafted scene where the two decide to "practice kissing," I was hooked.

It is not a YA, but a classic romance with all the ups and downs, twist and turns, anguis
Terri
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A roller coaster of emotions!
1st let me say I read / listened to this book in audio format via audible.com. The audio versions are always better than the print. Audio brings with it freedom to do things while reading, company while driving and proper pronunciation of words, along with loads of emotions , accents & excitement!
Kip & Shelley became friends way back when they were 8 years old at their summer homes. One day something happened and Shelley disappeared. Kip never knew anythin
Linda
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I downloaded this book when it was a promotional freebie for my Kindle. I know, I know, the buzz is that free titles, for the most part, suck. That has not been my experience--especially not with this book, which has been in the back of my mind since I finished it yesterday.

This is one of the most unusual romances I've ever read. Ms. Arnold hooked me instantly, and I found myself immersed in the story of two children from different backgrounds spending summers together--growing up together--on B
Jan Mcleod
Jun 01, 2016 rated it liked it
The first part of the book moves slowly because the author is establishing a very unique relationship between Kip and Shelly, two fifteen year old teens. They have summered on Block Island for years, but suddenly Shelly and her mother disappear. Twelve years later, Kip meets Shelly in the pharmacy she owns on the island. Both of them have been shaped by death, loss, emotionally deprived parents, and tragedy. Because of her untrustworthy father, Shelly refuses to get involved with any man.
Kip al
Susan
This contemporary romance from 1991 hasn't necessarily aged well. The first part that portrays two fifteen year old summer friends struggling with adolescent changes is charming. The second part of their reunion years later also has its moments. But then...well, let's just say that category romance cliches kick in and the rest is all downhill. Judith Arnold was one of my favorite category romance authors in the 1980s and 1990s, and I'll always be grateful that she contributed a Hanukkah story to ...more
Tammy Roos
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Absolutely loved this book! This is your typical coming of age story but with a few twists. Their families both live on this summer island just off the coast and they have known each other all their lives. But tragedy strikes and one family has to move away in a split second. But fate pulls them back together and they learn how to live again with seeming obstacles in their way. A very down to earth believable romantic story.
Diane
this was another great freebie for kindle, about 2 kids who see each other on vacation for years and are friends who can tell each oter anything. just as they reach their mid-teens, and are exploring their relationship as not only friends, the heroine 's life implodes and she loses everything. how she copes with that loss impacts her life for the next 15 years. the hero also experiences loss, and how they gradually grow to love and trust each other.
Cecilia
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely warm-hearted romance about friends-to-lovers, with a splash of pining-hero. I particularly liked how long a time-span the relationship has to build and evolve, and the fact that there were no cheesy tropes like Big Misunderstandings or secret babies. I'm definitely going to have to look for more of this author's backlist!
Donna Hatridge
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a story about deep friendship, loss and regaining ourselves. Judith Arnold has us wanting to save both Kip and Shelley in this well written novel.
Kip and Shelley have been inseparable from the time they were 8 years old, until the day a tragedy in Shelleys life ends their friendship.
Now years later a tragedy in Kips life has him back on the island where he first met Shelley.
R.G. Phelps
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Judith has given us a story about love! There were times during reading her story that I wanted to hurry things along, but I just continued reading hoping for the best results. They did happen without my intervention as you will see. I have enjoyed her love story very much and am sure that you will too.
Angie
This was not what I was expecting... it was better. This was a freebie I've had for a couple of years. I forgot about it until I was flipping through some of my titles. The story takes place over a period of 15 years. I really enjoyed the slow pace and the ability to really understand the characters. However, at times, the pace was too slow, which is why I gave it 3 instead of 4 stars.
Mary
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved the journey these two characters made together. The story is a great one dealing with their love through out there years together and how they comforted each other through tragic times. I really enjoyed the book.
Susannah Carleton
Jul 15, 2015 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars. A heart-tugging story of two childhood friends whose lives have been shaped by tragedy, who unexpectedly meet after 12 years and, in the years that followed, learn to love and trust again.
ThisIsMe
Nov 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I thought the book was really sweet, and I definitely was involved with the main characters. But I read it on kindle. Thank god. That book cover is gank. Overall though I thought it was a very pleasant read and I enjoyed all of it. One word to describe it: Sweet
Robin Selvig
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed Judith Arnold's books for many years. This book is full of surprises and you get to know and love the characters across an extended period. Well worth reading.
Rene
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it
An old Romance novel I found on the Kindle for free. It was an easy Beach read. The kind of book you would find in the $1 bin at your local used book store. Totally worth it!
Deidre
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
meh - deleted from library. It had its moments but now I remember why I quit reading Harlequin and Silhouette.
Maria Chapman
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There was something sweet and delightful about kip and shelley I had trouble putting this book down. Besides I love happy endings
Sue
a romance with some depth. It would be hard not to like the two characters, Kip and Shelley. Romance books are OK once in awhile but not my favorite read, this one was enjoyable and a fast read.
Lonny
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
Sweet romance, easy way to pass a couple of hours.
Carol Sandford
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore this book and I've read it several times. I'm not quite sure why this book is so special to me, but it is. Love it. A lot
Dawn
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Touching romance with very little explicit content.
Jennifer Di Francesco
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
A few good parts but it reminded me of why I don't typically read romance novels ...
  • Raphaela's Gift
  • Touched By Angels (Touched By Angels, #1)
  • Crossing the Bridge
  • Heartbreak Highway
  • Sweet Baklava
  • My Man Pendleton
  • A Regency Holiday
  • Sold to the Highest Bidder (Second Chances)
  • A Stranger in the Family
  • The Merry-Go-Round
  • Texas Hold Him
  • Hidden Steel
  • Hot Flash
  • Just the Way You Are
Barbara Keiler
aka Ariel Berk, Thea Frederick, Judith Arnold

Barbara Keiler was born on April 7th. She started telling stories before shecould write. She was four when her sister, Carolyn, stuffed a crayon intoher hand and taught her the alphabet, and she's been writing ever since.

Barbara is a graduate of Smith College, where she learned to aim for thestars, and she received a master's degree in cre
More about Judith Arnold...

“the past two weeks. It” 0 likes