Start by marking “Blueprints for a Barbed-Wire Canoe” as Want to Read:
Blueprints for a Barbed-Wire Canoe

Blueprints for a Barbed-Wire Canoe

"The rain fell hard and unending on the roof. All the ghosts of ur were sleeping. The night was as dark as a whale's belly. She passed by swiftly, cried out softly; I wasn't listening, I couldn't have heard."Bram has a reluctant story to tell. Excavating common objects from the mullock heap of a failed housing estate, he records the lives of those who lived there. One-eyed ...more
Published January 28th 2004 by Black Pepper (first published January 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Blueprints for a Barbed-Wire Canoe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blueprints for a Barbed-Wire Canoe

jeniwren
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have recently read Macauley's most recent novel 'Demons' which I enjoyed and was pleased to go back to this his first novel. Firstly I was intrigued by the title and what did this say about the story that lay ahead? Well it has turned out to be a most thought provoking read and a dark satire on home ownership that has long been the great Australian dream.

It centres on a group of residents who take up residency in a new satellite suburb on the outskirts of Melbourne. Before long planned infastr
Lisa
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australia, fiction
Wayne Macauley is the author of The Cook, a dark and funny satire which I read and reviewed a year or so ago just as Macauley was starting to gain an international profile, but I have had Blueprints for a Barbed-wire Canoe and Caravan Story on my TBR for ages. I bought them when I heard that Blueprints for a Barbed-wire Canoe was included in Year 12 reading lists and I was intrigued by the title.

I enjoyed The Cook but I found that Blueprints for a Barbed-wire Canoe was a more thought-provoking b
Marj Osborne
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, adult
Recently, a fierce storm brought trees and power lines down across our street. Not only was the power cut, but for two days, a policeman guarded the cul-de-sac, ensuring that no one left or came into the street. Fortunately, many of our neighbours are friends, so we saw these events as a great excuse for a street party, a time to use the contents of the fridge and freezer, each household contributing to a communal meal, cooked on the BBQ, eaten by candlelight at someone's home.

These events happe
Josie
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was so much fun to read. I had been quite ill and picked this book out as it's quite thin. It really picked me up.
Loved the characters, the setting, the storyline....what a great book!
I'll certainly be looking out for this author.
Snoakes
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this strange story - it has more than a touch of the Magnus Mills about it.
Ellie
Danny Fahey
Dec 11, 2011
Melissa
Jan 19, 2014
Wayne Macauley is the author of the highly acclaimed novels: Blueprints for a Barbed-Wire Canoe, Caravan Story and, most recently, The Cook, which was shortlisted for the Western Australian Premier’s Book Award, a Victorian Premier’s Literary Award and the Melbourne Prize Best Writing Award. His new book Demons will be available in August 2014. He lives in Melbourne.