Start by marking “A Tale of Two Elmos (Elmo Jenkins #4)” as Want to Read:
A Tale of Two Elmos (Elmo Jenkins #4)

A Tale of Two Elmos

(Elmo Jenkins #4)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  370 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews

Elmo Jenkins is celebrating his fifth anniversary as a staff member of First Church. Much has changed at the historic downtown church, with new Senior Pastor Billy Pike Jameson and his humorless wingman Lord Hatchet keeping Elmo more than busy. In the midst of helping the church navigate the precarious waters of starting a contemporary worship service, Elmo is asked to lea
Published July 19th 2014 by OBT Bookz

To ask other readers questions about A Tale of Two Elmos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tale of Two Elmos

Lisa
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
#4 begins with Elmo celebrating his fifth anniversary with First Church. Bonnie becomes pregnant; Elmo is asked to lead a mission trip to Papua New Guinea; and of course there's a lot going on at First Church, including a new pastor and his lackey. Bob "Big Bird" gets arrested for a spate of robberies that seem to be focused on First Church members when the investigators find stolen goods and financial records in his trunk. Again, Elmo to the rescue when he cracks the code (literally) and solves ...more
Lynn Smith
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth book in the Elmo Jenkins series and I've enjoyed all of them. There are still two more and I've already started book 5. I know without a doubt I will miss Elmo and company once I finished the last two books in the series. In this book, there's a mystery but it's not quite the over-arching mystery like the first three books but rather a mystery which builds and expands but is solved in the end. Along the way, Elmo and his wife take a vacation to Eureka Springs, Arkansas and sta ...more
Chanover55
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The continuing saga of Ellington "Elmo" Jenkins and his role at First Church. The community is hit with a string of robberies, many of the victims from First Church, the new pastor wants to implies a new contemporary service, and will there be a new addition to the Jenkins housrhold? Anyone who works at a church or is married to a pastor will relate to the tales of Elmo!
Tim Shepard
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great one!

I must admit I was a little leery of buying the fourth book in this series after my disappointment with the third book. That being said, Elmo is back. The fast paced combination of church life, marriage, the birth of a child, and a new mystery to solve worked well.
Christi
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Twice the fun

Another installment just as I've come to expect from this author. These books are sweet, quirky, and lighthearted. A nice quick read.
Don Paske
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another good book, now about two Elmos! Really should be 4 1/2 stars.
Sandi
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mcmillan-moody
Another great Elmo Jenkins read.
David B Smith
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A clever, very funny book that explores the life of a rookie youth pastor. The Christian element is sweet and pitch-perfect.
Ed
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
"A Tale of Two Elmos" is the fourth book in the Elmo Jenkins series. Elmo Jenkins is a nice, amiable, and amusing guy who is a minister and staff member at First Church. The book starts with a staff celebration marking his fifth year at the church and continues on with his plans with his wife Bonnie to begin a family. Eventually, Elmo 2 (sort of) arrives to complete/complicate their life together.

The book, like the earlier books in the series, is written as a series of vignettes, showing Elmo's
Karen Neal
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
ELMO DOES IT AGAIN

Act err ha ing read 2 other books in this series of laugh out loud events in the life of Elmo Jenkins, I heartily encourage all to read these books. Highly entertaining they are at once thought provoking and inspirational. Elmo is everywhere and we all know an "ELMO". Enjoy watching him mature and come into his own. Recommended for all adult readers and some young adult readers. McMillan Moody, please continue this series for me! I have passed along my copies to others who I be
Debra Torgerson
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great read.

This is my 4th book I have read by Mr Moody. I have enjoyed them all. Love the Characters and the fact that each book does have a ending. You will be more familiar with the characters by reading from book 1. We find Elmo in this book helping get a contemporary worship service going at First Church a new Pastor in the picture and Elmo is going to be a dad and a mystery to solve. I think you will enjoy this book I know I did. A clean read not preachy and some humor. Go ahead give thes
Jerry Blackerby
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another great book in the Elmo series. I love this entire series. I have never been a member of a mega-church, but see typical problems that arise in any church. I come from a family of ministers back to the 17th Century, although most were pastors of small rural churches during my 80 years of memories. I saw similar problems even in the small churches where my father, other family members or friends were pastors.
Jan Mcleod
Apr 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Five years have passed in Elmo's life. The church is undergoing many changes. There is a new pastor and other new staff because of retirement, death, and resignation. The book is still interesting, and Elmo has not really changed, but I could only give it three stars because many of the situations are not unified and leave the reader dangling.
Sandra
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book took me a little while to get in to it but once I had, I enjoyed it. I have not read the previous books in the series which may have explained the reason for the difficulty in warming to the characters. I loved the fact that it was a real feel good account of Elmo's experience of being part of a team running a large church, the trials but also the laughs and joy involved.
Allyson Yancey mccalister
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good Christain Fun

Most people don't equate the Christian journey with fun, Elmo will change you mind, it is realistic in the situations portrayed and in the challenges he faces with the people he works with, it's not sugar coated, some of these folks are a little too real, but they get thru it all with prayer and laughter, and tears when needed. I like this series.
linda s keeney
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Okay read.

Some spots in the book seem drifty and vague. Like the concept of reading a Christian based story with a twist of a mystery to it though. Don't think I will read the next book. While the characters are somewhat interesting. I was able to put the book down without having to read it all right now. To me a sleeper story.
Betty Garnett
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent series

This series was fabulously written with wit, understanding of the inner workings of a mega church, and showing an inner ability to write engaging books. I loved the humor, the godliness of the characters, the entertainment of angels unawares, the 2nd little Elmo, and the creativity of the author, McMillian Moody. Thanks for this series...
Janice Dick
A delightful collection of fictional "pastor humor." Witty, endearing, hilarious. And my favorite element: quirky characters. The reason this book only received three stars from me is that it lacks cohesiveness. It is made up of scenarios that entertain but do not tie the story together satisfactorily. Still, an amusing read.
Juquita Self
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great

Love the Elmo Jenkins books. They portray church life to a T. They also have a message in each one. We as Christians need to remember how Jesus looked at others. Instead of judging others remember that The Sinless One didn't cast a stone.
Doug
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great fun

Elmo is the type hero you can laugh with and admire at the same time. He shares a lot of common sense while poking fun at himself, first. You find yourself identifying with the characters and looking forward to sharing their lives.
Claudette Smith
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a joy to read

Such a joy to read. I can't express how much I have loved the entire series of Elmo books. They so remind me of Jan Karon, and her Mitford Series.
If you want a good, clean, and lovable series to read, then by all means,order the Elmo series.
Nancy Clarke
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Elmo

First Elmo book I've read and it's lighthearted look at a young ministers life has been a fun read. Looking forward to reading a few more Elmo books. Thought-provoking little things throughout the whole book. Will go back and read them again and really think about them!
Melanie
Dec 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I've enjoyed reading this series, but I expected a completely different book based on the title. It seems that the 2nd Elmo was on the back burner for most of this book, and I wasn't as entertained or engaged as I was with the others.
Toni Roush
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good read

I love Elmo and most everyone at First Church. They are who I imagine runs MY church. spiritual yet funny, not taking themselves too seriously but relying on God. a good read.
Frank Sloan
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
An Uplifting Read

It's always so refreshing to find a book one can truly enjoy without wondering what crude or obscene or vulgar or worse yet, profane awaits on the next page. That's never needed and it never enhances the story, in my opinion.
Anna Crossan
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun look at the inner workings of a mega church. The characters are completely likable, the story moves at a good pace and there are numerous instances where the reader unexpectedly bursts out laughing.
Bill Penner
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fun, funny, thought provoking.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the Elmo Jenkins books. They've been fun to read and have shown numerous thought provoking spiritual insights. I look forward to reading more.
Carol and Gary Curtis
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another good book from this author. Another chapter in the "Elmo" saga. Certainly still humorous and filled with religious fervor. Worth the time. I'll try book five soon.
Cathy Biggerstaff
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another fine specimen in the Elmo Jenkins series. I'm gonna ng to miss the people in this series. Wish there were more books in this series.
Debie
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love ALL the Elmo books.
  • The Treble Wore Trouble
  • Beside Still Waters (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #4)
  • Seeing Jesus
  • Redbud Corner
  • Prodigal Nights
  • Compulsion
  • Plain Living (The Diary #1)
  • Splashes Of Joy In The Cesspools Of Life
  • Runaway Choices
  • God Uses Cracked Pots
  • Operation Bonnet
  • Lights and Shadows (Oregon in Love, #2)
  • O Ye Jigs and Juleps!
  • Strike the Match (The Teacup Novellas, #2)
  • Laugh Your Way to Grace: Reclaiming the Spiritual Power of Humor
  • In God's Eyes
  • The Journey (The Adventures of Jecosan Tarres #1)
  • Beyond the Waves (Pacific Shores #1)
McMillian Moody lives quietly in the rolling hills of central Tennessee with his wife, celebrated author Diane Moody.

Elmo Jenkins (7 books)
  • Ordained Irreverence (Elmo Jenkins #1)
  • Some Things Never Change (Elmo Jenkins #2)
  • The Old Man and the Tea (Elmo Jenkins, #3)
  • A Time 4 Friends (Elmo Jenkins #5)
  • Hearts on Fire (Elmo Jenkins #6)
  • 7 Craggie Hope Road (Elmo Jenkins - Book Seven)
“about my experiences while living with a fatigued, pregnant woman. I’m going to entitle it, The Girl with the Draggin’ Caboose.” 1 likes
“You see, it’s not our natural gifts or abilities that make a difference. It’s what God does when we faithfully show up.” 1 likes