Start by marking “Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster” as Want to Read:
Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster

Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster

Mind-Body techniques that will help a patient: feel calmer before surgery, recover faster, have less pain after surgery, strengthen the immune system, use less pain medication, and save money on medical bills.
Published March 29th 2004 by Angel River Press (first published April 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster

Start your review of Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster
Lisa
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
What a great book! And it WORKS! I'm not new to surgery (I've had 6 previously), and I had major surgery last week, and I have had almost no pain! The only thing I've had is some arnica, nothing else. As it so happens, when I asked my surgeon if he would say positive healing statements to me during surgery, he told me he already does that! But, I know it works because my recovery from this surgery is completely different and easy compared to all the ones I've had before. I'm so grateful I came a ...more
Dawn
Apr 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
I used this book to prepare for surgery with the meditation cd companion. I had the BEST experience due to the suggestions in this book. If you'd like details, please ask. I highly recommend this to everyone!
Joan
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love how Peggy thinks. Affirmations are key to living a happy, healthy, positive life, so her recommendations in preparation for surgery will be easy for me. Feeling relaxed about going into surgery is key. No need to jack up my respiration and/or heart rate, right?

I feel a bit shy about asking the surgeon or anesthesiologist about saying my affirmations 5 times as I go under and 5 times as I come out of it, but I'm going to work up the courage to ask - I think.

Six friends have agreed to be
Suzan
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In May of 2016 and in October of 2016 I had total hip replacement first one this book was given as a class at Kaiser. My surgeon highly recommended I take the class she was so right. So in October for hip #2 I took the class again because I loved the woman who taught it but also the book is amazing. I came home the night of both my surgeries and my recovery was painless and everyone said quick. I can't recommend this book enough. If you are going in for any surgery you must read it.
Jan
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: health-medical
While Huddleston's suggestion to have your anesthetist and surgeon speak suggestions about healing and pain control to you while your going under might sound a little woo-woo, she actually presents good documentation for the practice's efficacy in the form of multiple studies in addition to the usual miraculous anecdotes. Her relaxation exercises would be useful in a variety of contexts. She includes annexes on vitamin supplementation for better healing and how to prepare children for surgery.
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
More like a brief guide to using CD that comes with book. Barely scratches the surface when it comes to learning about mind body medicine. Felt like it was worded with filler to appear book length by including “chapter summary” when it was so brief it did not need summarizing. Definitely left you wanting to read something more in depth than what was provided.
Josephine Altzman
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yes, I'm preparing for surgery.
Yes, I'd like to heal faster.
The book was good, although there's no real way to _test out_ how well the techniques in there aid me in my recovery.

Here's hoping.
Jordana Jaffe
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
definitely a great read to ground yourself and keep you calm pre surgery. would read again need be!
David Elizardi
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Was very helpful, especially for establishing a mindset moving into surgery.
Fstdb
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
techniques very useful. Book not written well.
Erica
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, nonfiction
I received this book from a friend to help me prepare for an upcoming major surgery. It's a surgery I was looking forward to having since it would relieve so many problems I'dbeen dealing with for years. I wouldn't say I was particularly nervous about the surgery but this book helped so much. It made me realize I was nervous and it gave me things to do to help me relax.

I ended up buying the companion tape/cd that she refers to in the book. It just seemed like the best way to put what she sugges
John Carter
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Half of the book was summaries of the chapter before, if you can call an almost complete duplication of the chapter a summary. Half the book was essentially an ad for the author’s relaxation CD. “You should listen to the CD twice a day.” “Tell your doctors that you’ll be listening to the CD during surgery.” “Share the CD with the people who will be with you in the hospital so their anxiety won’t transfer itself to you.” “Schedule regular times during the day to listen to the CD.” Etc. A third of ...more
Kate
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
The cd was quite helpful in terms of relaxing before my surgery. The book was less helpful to me as it was the same as the instructional part of the cd. I was not comfortable in taking all the recommended steps, such as having the surgeon saying healing statements to me during the surgery. Regardless, I felt calmer right before and all through recovery. The nurse commented on how my listening to the cd was quite positive and I did not feel the need to use excessive medication. I felt mentally an ...more
Louisa
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book with practical suggestions and advice that truly work! Recently had a surgery. The book, along with the relaxation tape, which I bought separately, worked wonders in minimizing my pain and speeding up my recovery. I was totally surprised by how I did not feel any nervousness even the minutes before the operation. Highly recommended to anyone who is preparing for a surgery.
Leanna
Aug 17, 2009 is currently reading it
It's a good book with some practical information about preparing for surgery. It comes with a soundtrack, and a lot of exercises have you use the soundtrack for relaxation. I borrowed the book without the soundtrack, so it is not helpful as helpful as it could be to me if I had the soundtrack.
Peggy
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The book was a little "new age" and I probably wouldn't do everything the author suggested (like asking the surgeon to repeat healing phrases), but I loved the accompanying CD. The CD puts the listener into a very relaxed state. It is very similar to Yoga Nidra.
Leiah
Nov 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone in the care of a doctor
Recommended to Leiah by: Judy
Wonderful suggestions and specific suggestions for affirmation, questions to ask your doctor and arrangements to make before surgery to emerge more healthfully and happily; I am very goad I found this.
Victoria
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
There some good stuff in here but also, frankly, a lot of fluff. The author definitely knows her stuff, but she's explaining down and tends to overstate her point with a lot of repetition.

I didn't read every word but I skimmed the whole thing and read a couple of sections in more depth.
Kirsten
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was great and made me much calmer going into surgery.
Carol
Jun 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I guess we'll see how good this book is after my surgery on Monday.
Mary
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wonder path to vibrational shift for healing. So clear easy to read and follow and do....
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Jan 20, 2016
Kevin
Nov 07, 2011
Jill
Apr 09, 2009
Molodhik777
rated it did not like it
Sep 19, 2016
Feb 14, 2014
Kelley Wheeler
Oct 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• No-Drama Discipline: The Whole-Brain Way to Calm the Chaos and Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind
  • You, Me, and the Sea
  • In Shock: My Journey from Death to Recovery and the Redemptive Power of Hope
  • The Lost Kitchen: Recipes and a Good Life Found in Freedom, Maine: A Cookbook
  • The Seven or Eight Deaths of Stella Fortuna
  • The Wild Offering Oracle: A 52-Card Deck on Giving It All to God
  • Change Me Prayers: The Hidden Power of Spiritual Surrender
  • It's Not Your Money: How to Live Fully from Divine Abundance
  • Outrageous Openness: Letting the Divine Take the Lead
  • A Field Guide to Eastern Trees: Eastern United States and Canada, Including the Midwest
  • After the Eclipse: A Mother's Murder, a Daughter's Search
  • Brava, Valentine
  • The House at the End of Hope Street
  • Profit First: A Simple System To Transform Any Business From A Cash-Eating Monster To A Money-Making Machine
  • Very Valentine (Valentine, #1)
  • Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
  • Meet Me at the Cupcake Café (At the Cupcake Café, #1)
  • Breathing Space: Twelve Lessons for the Modern Woman