Start by marking “10 Days to Faster Reading” as Want to Read:
10 Days to Faster Reading

10 Days to Faster Reading

Jump-Start Your Reading Skills! Speed reading used to require months of training. Now you can rev up your reading in just a few minutes a day. With quizzes to determine your present reading level and exercises to introduce new skills quickly, 10 Days to Faster Reading will improve your reading comprehension and speed as it shows you how to:

Break the Bad Habits That Slow
Published July 1st 2001 by Grand Central Publishing

Start your review of 10 Days to Faster Reading
Alf Kåre Lefdal
Jan 03, 2008 rated it did not like it
It is only two books the past few years that I have had trouble finishing. One was this book about faster reading, and the other was "Getting Things Done" by David Allen. Ironic, isn't it?

The only good tip in this book is not to read everything: read only the most important, and skim the rest. I skimmed the last half of the book.
Rosie Nguyễn
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Too many books, to little time, we readers seem to face the same problem all the time. It leads to the question: How to read more with the same comprehension within a shorter time? That's the purpose of this book.

A well organized book, with simple and practical tips to improve reading speed and maintain comprehension, useful for non-fiction book lovers. I applied the techniques to this book and it turned out to take far less time to finish than usual. Will definitely continue using the tips for
Tom
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: personalmba
Once you have read through the book, you wish you had used the techniques on the actual book itself.
Kevin
Feb 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book did a decent job in helping me increase both my reading speed and retention. Two big take-aways: 1) Don't jump back in reading. It's common to think you forgot or skipped understanding something, but the reality is you probably got it or would get it the first time if you were more focused. 2) Pre-view reading. Always do a very fast skimming of the material you're about to read before you plow through it. ...more
James
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Three and a half stars. The first five or so chapters are fairly helpful, especially if you aren't familiar with the concept of speed reading.

I had several major issues with the book, though. First, it was extremely repetitive. Second, the book appeared to be aimed at people who don't like to read or who see little value in reading. Third, the whole race car analogy that the author maintained throughout the book was tedious and labored. Finally, the book, although published in 2001, is quite da
Samarth Agnihotri
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
•The principles provided in this book are practical, most of which you might already know.
•If you are starting out than this book will be very useful and if you are an intermediate or pro in reading than you don't need this book.
Ha Truong
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: development
The road to knowledge begins with the turn of a page.

I believe after reading this book, you can turn many pages to knowledge which also open many opportunities to your life.
Ashley Reid
Definitely has some good techniques to improve reading. For some reason I have always found it difficult to put most of them into action.
Marshall
Jan 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
I read this book with the hope of learning to read faster. I did learn to read faster, but barely. I increased my reading speed only slightly. Only a few of the tricks in this book helped me, because even though I already knew them, it was good to be reminded of them. Things like focusing on keywords, not letting the mind wander, avoiding subvocalization, and using peripheral vision.

The rest of the book not only didn't help, they positively slowed me down. Like the "pacers," which is the techniq
Eddy
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-mba
good book that u can speed read (for practice :))
* in a nutshell:
1. skim material first
2. challenge urself to read faster (do not be too concerned with comprehension at the beginning)
3. enlarge your peripheral vision by making fewer stops
4. take notes (underline keywords)
5. summarize (oral) & relate to what u know
6. practice daily
7. review regularly
8. explain material to somebody else
Derek
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Read to help prepare me for grad school. Good for what it is. A bit repetitive. I was tempted to remove a star just for her saying that she started her business after the universe spoke to her through a fortune cookie. In the end, still worth a scan.
Eric
Aug 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Of the many books that I have read on improving reading speed and comprehension, this is hand-down the best!
TIFFANY ANDERSON
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
I doubled my reading speed! I'm sold on the whole series now. ...more
Ben Claymier
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Fairly standard speed reading advice that has been repeated ad infinitum by this point. It is still useful to hear the information from such a reputable source, but you could also learn the salient details in an online article or via online courses, such as those at linkedin learning.

Worth a read if you are new to the concept of speed-reading, and would want a more trusted and researched source.
The  Conch
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Few techniques are really helpful to boost reading speed.
Vanessa Princessa
I read this book thanks to Blinkist.

The key message in this book:

For most of us, reading training ends in elementary school, which means our adult reading habits are seriously outdated. If you want to get the most out of reading, you’ll need to re-learn how to prioritize, preview and speed up your reading in order to keep up with the fast-paced world.

Actionable advice:

Take a break every 20 minutes.

Research shows that, while reading, people can only concentrate effectively for about 20 minutes at
Johnny
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Abby Marks Beale explains in this 10 day course different techniques you can use to read faster. I read a lot and hoped with this book to push my reading speed a bit up. So far I only find the technique of pre-view reading worth investigating.

There are however 2 points I like to point out explicitly that I find very helpful and can make a big difference for your reading speed:

1) You don’t have to read every word in every text you read.

2)Speed reading doesn’t mean you have to read everything at

Brenna
Sep 28, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
A book filled with systems on speed-reading, highly reliant upon "props" (index cards, ballpoint pens, hilighters, the human finger, etc.).

Also, the author relies heavily, heavily, heavily upon a racecar metaphor, which is carried through to (at least quite near) the end of the book. Pit-stops, engine overhauls, stick-shifts, road maps (for a "race!?"), and the like... By the time each new chapter begins, the reader has absolutely had it with the tired, all-too-obvious comparison.

The book itsel
Kunal
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Part of what is called Syntopical Reading : Reading a lot of resources at the same time to draw out your own learning on a topic. Read this in parallel to Mortimer's How to read a book.

What can be learnt through a simple blog need not be converted into a book. Nonetheless, I am giving this book 4 stars because it draws out the steps clearly

1. look at the white spaces of the lines and not directly on words
2.Focus on keywords ( usually three letters or more)
3. Use peripheral vision. Start reading
Eric Jacobsen
Jan 23, 2008 marked it as to-read
So many books, so little time...so need to increase the speed!
Dai al-Saeed
Fabian Ruiz
Jan 12, 2021 rated it liked it
Andrew
Sep 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I can now say I safely sped read through a book and I feel that I gained a lot of useful tools and techniques from it. I am one that likes to read every word to consider a book read, but will agree there are only so many hours in the day to read all that needs reading. Sure, it was meant for 10 days with practicing of those skills but I was excited to read this faster and faster to start it and end it in an evening and noticing myself getting faster with better comprehension in a single sitting. ...more
Deepak Rao
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
3 steps to faster reading: Firstly, start prioritising the reading material and don't try to remember everything but rather make small notes in the margins. Secondly, overcome bad habits e.g. falling into regression and sub vocalisation(reading words aloud in mind) developed during the school days.Thirdly, apply faster-reading techniques such as having a purpose behind reading a book, previewing it, particularly non-fiction books, to get a hang of it, using a finger as a marker to keep focus on ...more
Chayong
Apr 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Yasmin
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
It was just a fine book that helps in rapid reading
there are pieces of advice to start reading rapidly considering for examples; eye movement
ignoring fillers in the book
start with the big titles to just know what the main idea and figure out the most important content
using a pen or pointer while reading helps a lot, for myself I never use it but I will try in the future
also, the book was discussing bad habits we are doing during reading like trying to read each specific word on the page and "th
Traume
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I will be straight to the point that this book has helped me to increase my reading speed from an average reader to a good reader on day one my reading speed was 275 WPM with 90% comprehension (33-35 Pages).

Fast Forward to Day 4 my reading speed is now 350 WPM with 98% Comprehension (50 Pages) and I haven't read the complete book actually I skimmed through useless information that I think I don't need.

After Day 5 the book is just about several reading techniques which I don't think will work for
Chris Reed
Feb 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Fulfilling my dream of self improvement in reading. This is such a vital skill that is highly underrated around the world. If we can teach young people how to do this (as part of an arsenal of reading skills) then we can reintroduce reading as a standard skill of young people - something that I believe gives a leg up to students wanting to be successful in careers and life.
The book offers a straightforward and immensely accessible range of readings especially constructed to deliver the reader to
Katya Vinogradova
The one good thing about this book is that it DID teach me to read faster - mainly to finish this book as quickly as possible.
There is no new knowledge to be gained from this tutorial - I'm sure you all know how to skim texts to get the gist of it, or how to really concentrate when you have to read something fast.
The practical parts are repetitive and not very effective, not to mention impossible to complete in an e-book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mind-map discussion 28 7 Oct 08, 2020 07:04AM

• How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading
  • The First 20 Hours: How to Learn Anything...Fast
  • How to Read and Why
  • The Personal MBA: Master the Art of Business
  • The Only Skill that Matters: The Proven Methodology to Read Faster, Remember More, and Become a SuperLearner
  • 15 Secrets Successful People Know About Time Management: The Productivity Habits of 7 Billionaires, 13 Olympic Athletes, 29 Straight-A Students, and 239 Entrepreneurs
  • Lead the Field
  • The Art of Public Speaking
  • Always Hungry?: Conquer Cravings, Retrain Your Fat Cells, and Lose Weight Permanently
  • أحجار على رقعة الشطرنج: التطبيق العملي لبروتوكولات حكماء صهيون
  • 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don't Do: Take Back Your Power, Embrace Change, Face Your Fears, and Train Your Brain for Happiness and Success
  • Limitless: Core Techniques to Improve Performance, Productivity, and Focus
  • 30 Ways to Reboot Your Body: A Complete User Manual for Getting the Most Out of the Human Body
  • What You Don't Know about Leadership, But Probably Should: Applications to Daily Life
  • How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships
  • Pitch Anything: An Innovative Method for Presenting, Persuading, and Winning the Deal
  • How We Learn: The Surprising Truth About When, Where, and Why It Happens

News & Interviews

“The road to knowledge begins with the turn of a page.” 8 likes
“TEN THINGS Your Elementary School Teacher Told You AND Your Secondary School Teacher Should Have Told You NOT to Do Anymore! 1. You have to read every word. 2. You need to sound out every word aloud or in your head. 3. Don't use your hands or fingers to help read. 4. You need to completely understand everything you read. 5. You need to remember everything you read. 6. Go for quantity — the more the better. 7. Don't skim, that's cheating. 8. Don't write in your books. 9. It doesn't matter what you read as long as you read. 10. Speed is not important.” 1 likes