Start by marking “As Good As It Gets?” as Want to Read:
As Good As It Gets?

As Good As It Gets?

A big-hearted, hilarious book for fans of Gill Sims and Jill Mansell – from the Sunday Times bestseller

“Midlife crisis? WHAT midlife crisis?!”

Charlotte Bristow is worried about her husband Will. With her 16-year-old daughter Rosie newly signed to a top modelling agency, and Will recently out of a job, things are changing in their household.

As Will dusts down his old leathe
Published February 26th 2015 by Avon (first published January 29th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about As Good As It Gets?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As Good As It Gets?

Soul to Take by Helen  BatemanFirst Frost by Sarah Addison AllenBefore I Go by Colleen OakleyThree Amazing Things About You by Jill MansellThe Cake Shop In The Garden by Carole Matthews
Chick Lit 2015
63 books — 75 voters
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsInstructions for a Broken Heart by Kim CulbertsonA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonSomewhere on Maui by Toby NealDaughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier
Vacation Reads
328 books — 167 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of As Good As It Gets?
Claire Robinson
3 - Was as good as it got! stars.

I am usually a huge fan of Fiona Gibson’s writing. She manages to take an average storyline and elevate it to excellence, with a combination of witty observations, engaging conversations, likeable characters and just a little spark of something out of the ordinary.

I like that her heroines are usually just normal women, with jobs, kids, stretch marks, (ex)husbands/partners, self doubt, zany friends/neighbors, living everyday lives. Her unique observations about ru
Elaine
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I do like the characters in Fiona Gibson’s books, especially the mothers of teenagers as I feel I can relate to them. I am walking in their shoes. This is another book based around such a mother, Charlotte, married to Will and mother to 16 year old Rosie and 11 year old Ollie. Yes I know exactly how Charlotte feels when she is forced to walk a few yards behind her kids in the shopping precinct so as not to cramp their style! I know how it feels when the question “how was your day?” is answered w ...more
Fabulous Book Fiend
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well I am up to date with Fiona Gibson's recent books but I was behind on her back catalogue so imagine my delight when I discovered this beauty. This has solidified my opinion that Fiona Gibson is the queen of writing what women think after the babies have grown and their marriage has reached a certain point in its existence, I feel like she could help me navigate through that point in my life and I am in awe of her because of it.

Charlotte is such a great character to spend the book with becau
Simona
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
*Book provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

This is my second Fiona Gibson book and I liked the first one Take Mum Out but something was kind off missing there. In this one I was caught up from the start and I enjoyed every second of the story.

Charlotte has a lot going on in her life. The relationship to her husband Will is a bit rosty and boring.They have been together for 15 years now, but he is distant and some of his actions are weird. He is definitely not what you have
Book-shelf Shelf
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Is this really as good as it gets?

Charlotte thinks this as she gets an email from her first love and the biological father of her first born. What follows is an hilariously gripping story of Charlotte's life and how she tries to cling on, while Rosie (her daughter) starts a modeling career and Will, (her husband), desperately looks for a job while keeping the house going.

This is life how a lot of us know it, No rose covered cottages or knights in shinning amour and certainly a lot of mistake an
Agi
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Fiona Gibson is back with a new book and this is one of the best news! I have read all of her novels and I can be absolutely sure that she always delivers a great, entertaining story that is usually so close to my heart! It was no differently this time and I have actually postponed reading other book just to start and enjoy this little baby by Fiona. And. What a beautiful cover! Isn't it lovely, so spring - like already?

"As Good as it Gets?" follows a story of a family of four: Charlotte is a ne
Helena Wildsmith
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a suprisingly good read and I got very caught up in the story and wanted to know just how things would turn out. It was sweet without being sickly and funny without being silly - a quick and easy chick lit which showed wit and depth. Will be looking for more books by this author!
Dawn
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book, published by Avon by Olivia Wilson at Lightbrigade PR in exchange for an honest review which I'm more than happy to give.

What a book - Fiona has written a novel that reads like a fly on the wall documentary from a real home. She could have done the research for this book in any number of homes across the country, my own included!

Fiona has created characters that get under your skin, they really could be people you know. Charlotte the mother of the household is tr
Margaret Madden
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
I received an advance reading copy of this title, from netgalley.com, in return for an honest review.

Not quite forty, but feeling it, Charlotte is trailing her sixteen year old daughter, Rosie around the shops. Always a few feet behind, as having her Mum walking alongside her would not be cool, Rosie is scouted by a modelling agency in Forever 21. The teenager has visions of trips to Paris fashion week, and large pay packets, before she has even got home. Charlotte is excited for her, b
Marisa
Nov 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Hum where to start, the synopsis sounded so promising with this book, family, betrayal, past tragedy, heroism, all sounded so entertaining. However I didn't feel the book delivered the emotional feelings in order to have made it successful, it left me feeling flat, there was just to many roads travelled and not in any real reason, it felt detached.

My thanks to Netgalley and the publisher HarperCollins UK, Avon for the digital copy to review.
Jules (Never enough time to read)

I really enjoyed 'As good as it gets' from beginning to end.
|| Soph ||
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.5* a pretty boring 400 pages of pretty okay writing and no spacing where paragraphs should be + spelling and grammar errors.
Tracy ~ Book worm ~
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lovely, warm and witty read, actually really enjoyed this book
Laura Holdsworth
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have just finished reading 'As Good as it Gets' and I enjoyed it so much, I thought it was best to write a review.

The book follows the life of Charlotte, a middle age mother working to support her husband Will and their two children, after Will is made redundant from his job with an environmental charity and her daughter Rosie is signed to a modelling agency and starts asking about her biological dad, Fraser.

The characters are all really well written - there's an impatient and expectant moth
April Wood
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What’s It About?

“Do we still love each other? Or are we only together for the kids, or because we’re too old or scared to break up and start again? I find myself wondering, is this as good as it gets?”

Charlotte Bristow is 38, married with two kids, working for a crisp factory, (potato chip factory), and wondering if the grass really is greener on the other side. Her husband recently lost his job, is sullen like a teenager, possibly going through a midlife crisis, and not sure what to do with him
Leah
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fiona Gibson is one of those Chick Lit authors I really enjoy. Her books always make me laugh and although I have said I preferred her earlier, more serious novels, I do still look forward to her books and enjoy reading them. So when I spotted her new novel As Good As It Gets on Netgalley, I was chuffed! It sounded like a super read and I absolutely love the cover. It’s a very nice upgrade from her previous covers, while still retaining that fun feel.

As Good As It Gets? is pretty much your regul
Natalie TBGWP
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Just how pretty is that cover please? I mean if you’d just ran into a supermarket for a pint of milk or something and you saw that, you would definitely pick it up, wouldn’t you?

Anyway, I can declare that not only does it look good, but it is good too.

As Good As It Gets drops us slap-bang right in the middle of the Bristow family. Mum – Charlotte. Dad – Will. Daughter – Rosie, and son Ollie. It’s here we get to see heroine Charlotte battle her way through a) daily life at her job in a posh crisp
B.R. Maycock
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is as close to chick lit perfection as one can get. It harps back to the age of chick-lit where there wasn’t so much of an emphasis on the shock factor- where you coudl just enjoy laughs and drama and get carried along with everyday occurances.
Our story begins with an exchange between a young girl who is pregnant and the mother of the guy she fell pregnant to (let’s just put it like that for the moment, we can put it many other ways, but for all intensive purposes, we’ll go with this!
Lynsey Farmer
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015

As Will dusts down his old leather trousers and starts partying with their new, fun neighbours, Charlotte begins to wonder what on earth is going on.

So when Fraser, Charlotte’s ex – and father of Rosie – suddenly arrives back on the scene, she starts to imagine what might have been…

My views

First i w
Best Crime Books & More
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Charlotte is a typical Mum to her kids Rosie and Ollie. She and her husband Will have been married for fourteen years and with Will unemployed life at home has become somewhat different. I liked Charlotte and instantly warmed to her. Life just ticks along and she constantly has to think about everybody else apart from herself.

When new neighbours move in across the road her husband’s behaviour changes and at that point Charlotte isn’t really sure what is going on. In addition to that Rosie, who i
Adele
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I loved this story portraying the chaotic lives of Charlotte and Will Bristow and their children Rosie and Ollie. Charlotte and Will have been happily married for over 14 years but life has become a little predictable. When Will loses his job and now spends his days at home cooking, he loses his identity. Charlotte is experiencing a crisis of her own, her ex and father of Rosie, suddenly makes contact. Charlotte doesn't know which way to turn. Rosie has also been given a new opportunity, how wil ...more
Kim
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, 2015, net-galley
I loved the writing style- amusing, real life accounts. Everyone who’s parented through the teenage years will be able to relate!
Charlotte and Will have been married a while and they have settled into a fairly staid relationship. Their daughter Rosie, has just been signed to be a model after being discovered shopping in Forever 21.
When Will loses his job and appears to be going through a mid life crisis, new clothes and partying with the new neighbours- how will things get back on track between
Zoe
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This was light-hearted and laugh-out-loud funny in places. There were no huge drama's or big event's to comment on which I usually enjoy in a story but it's quite refreshing to just enjoy a simple fun little book. I'd say this is a perfect holiday read!
Debra
For a more detailed review, please check out my review below:

Debra's Book Cafe

Debs :-)
Angela Free
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely hilarious! Perfect holiday reading. I was laughing out
loud on my sunbed.
Abby Welker
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
First of all, for my ratings screening, I didn't love all of the F-Bombs - and there were plenty. While there wasn't any sex in the book, there were a lot of references to it, as well as a blow-up doll but nothing happened with that. This is definitely an adult book. The story drew me in and it kept me engaged, but it's not a book I could suggest to a good friend.

***SPOILERS******

About the book - I have to say that although I adore Charlotte and her good nature, this book drove me a little bit c
Sami
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rebecca
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on Becca's Books ~ http://beccasbooooks.blogspot.co.uk/

Firstly, I'd like to say thank you to the publishers Avon UK for providing me with a digital copy of As Good As It Gets by Fiona Gibson, via NetGalley, in exchange for a fair and honest review. I'd also like to say a massive thank you to the wonderful author who is the one, the only, Fiona Gibson. This is the second book that I've read by Fiona, Take Mum Out being the first, which I howled with laughter at and absolutely ad
Liam Ward
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
A solid two-star read, this book was easy to read and enjoyable on a simple level, however, it was overwritten, way too long, full of repetitive ramblings, unnecessary details and a LOT of spelling errors. A professional editor needs to take a look at this, or at least someone with a pair of working eyes.
The horribly depressing and pathetic main character, Charlotte (38-year-old mum of two) calling herself a middle-aged sausage boob promoting an unhealthy body weight and a complete lack of abil
Maxine Purdy
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure what I was expecting but I thought a little humour would justify the "warm, funny and poignant" banner quote from the Daily Mail. I was sadly disappointed as none of it felt real, remotely funny or particularly engaging. That's not to say it was a bad book but is more of a frothy novel about a mum and a teenage daughter who is scouted for modelling in a High Street store...not everyday life is it? I couldn't even understand the rift between husband and wife-a non story.

The positive

• It's Now or Never: The No-Nonsense Guide to Leadership
  • Sooo Not Looking For a Man
  • Honeymoon For One
  • Her Husband's Mistake
  • Has Anyone Seen My Sex Life?
  • My One True North
  • The Neighbours
  • An Almost Perfect Holiday
  • You Can't Fall in Love with your Ex (Can You?)
  • Willow's Wedding Vows
Fiona is an author and journalist who has written for many UK publications including The Observer, The Guardian, Marie Claire, Red, New Woman, Top Sante and Elle. She writes a monthly column for Sainsbury’s magazine and is a Contributing Editor at Red magazine.

Fiona lives in Scotland with her husband, their twin sons and daughter. She likes to draw, run 10k races, play her saxophone and lie in th