Start by marking “Southeast Foraging: 120 Wild and Flavorful Edibles from Angelica to Wild Plums” as Want to Read:
Southeast Foraging: 120 Wild and Flavorful Edibles from Angelica to Wild Plums

Southeast Foraging: 120 Wild and Flavorful Edibles from Angelica to Wild Plums

“This is the ultimate guide, and Chris is the undisputed heavyweight champion of foraging in the South.” —Sean Brock, author of Heritage and chef of McCradysMinero, and Husk

The Southeast offers a veritable feast for foragers, and with Chris Bennett as your trusted guide you will learn how to safely find and identify an abundance of delicious wild plants. The plant prof
Published April 22nd 2015 by Timber Press (first published April 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Southeast Foraging, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southeast Foraging

Start your review of Southeast Foraging: 120 Wild and Flavorful Edibles from Angelica to Wild Plums
Val
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
While I had a lot of the same problems other people had with this book, I would admit it was nice to open an herbal guide and know that every page I would look at shows a plant that lives within the region I live. Definitely saved me some time compared to my experience with other herbal guides that feature plants all over the country or world.

However, I would like to add how selfish I found the writer. It is clearly written from a colonial perspective which is obvious when they say multiple tim
Carol
Jul 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good guide in general, although I’d like more photos (including photos of similar plants NOT to eat).
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book tells you everything you need to know about identifying wild edible plants in the SouthEastern United States. There is information about the types of plants that are ready for harvest at different seasons throughout the year. You can harvest wild plants in meadows, mountains, by riverbanks, or by the sea.

I love that there are beautiful photographs of each plant, so that you can easily identify them. You can see all the details of their leaves, blossoms, seeds, and fruit.

There is detai
Diane Kistner
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I agree that this is not a comprehensive field guide type of book, I found it embraceable and interesting, and the photos are great. I bought the Kindle edition, and I wound up reading/skimming the whole book right after I downloaded it. An almost 300-page book full of helpful info and photos that I can carry around on my phone for 1.99 is an absolute bargain.

I am working on a permaculture forest garden in my backyard, and I'm interested not only in identifying the weeds I am finding as I
J. Gowin
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
While this book is an interesting primer on the topic of gathering edible plants in the wild, it should not be used as a comprehensive reference work. The problem is that many edible plants have poisonous look-alikes. This book does add warning paragraphs where applicable. But there are no photos or diagrams illustrating the differences between safe and unsafe plants. This matters because most people have not recieved an education on plant biology. If you understand plant biology well enough to ...more
Rory Williams
Too difficult to use as a foraging guide for middle Tennessee on a small iphone. Need better pictures and/ or descriptions of some of the plants to be safe. However, there was some really interesting methods of preparing and uses of plants for edibles and medicinal purposes. Will keep it in my library, just in case.
C S
Dec 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is very interesting. I would recommend using a second and third source before you eat anything listed in this book because the pictures and descriptions are not super clear.
Cera Renee
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great guide. Would have enjoyed more variety in the pictures of particular plants and potentially harvesting pictures.
David Ward
Southeast Foraging: 120 Wild and Flavorful Edibles from Angelica to Wild Plums by Chris Bennett (Timber Press 2015) (581.632). Author Chris Bennett has cataloged a great number of both native and exotic foods which grow freely in the southeastern quadrant of the U.S. I was surprised to see that so many of the “weeds” and other undesirables which I freely rip from my home garden are in fact edible and useful. That doesn't mean that I'm going to allow them to grow in my yard though. After all, the ...more
Linda
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very useful and informative for cooks as well as nature lovers.
Kate
Phillip
Sep 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• Retriever Training for the Duck Hunter
  • Basic & Primitive Navigation: A Waterproof Folding Guide to Wilderness Skills & Techniques
  • Home Time, Vol. 1: Under the River (Home Time, #1)
  • The Croc Ate My Homework: A Pearls Before Swine Collection
  • How Come I'm Always Luigi?: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Forget Me Nat (Nat Enough #2)
  • Stay Gold
  • Virtual Unicorn Experience (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #12)
  • The Last Last-Day-of-Summer
  • Act (Click, #3)
  • Tornado Brain
  • So This is How it Ends (Avatars, #1)
  • The Flower Kingdom (Cucumber Quest, #4)
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 1: Squirrel Power
  • Compass South (Four Points #1)
  • Little Witch