Start by marking “Boring Girls” as Want to Read:
Boring Girls

Boring Girls

Rachel feels like she doesn’t fit in — until she finds heavy metal and meets Fern, a kindred spirit. The two form their own band, but the metal scene turns out to be no different than the misogynist world they want to change. Violent encounters escalate, and the friends decide there’s only one way forward . . .

A bloodstained journey into the dark heart of the music
Published April 14th 2015 by ECW Press

To ask other readers questions about Boring Girls, please sign up.
Molly I don't think so??? I thought she was supposed to be kind of unbearable. If she wasn't, the author missed the mark, IMO, but I enjoyed the book when I…moreI don't think so??? I thought she was supposed to be kind of unbearable. If she wasn't, the author missed the mark, IMO, but I enjoyed the book when I thought she wasn't meant to be likeable. (less)

Start your review of Boring Girls
Emily May
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, arc, 2015
School's out now. It's time to go.
Scarlet blood on ivory snow.

When I was about thirteen and in school, this girl said to me in a voice dripping with sarcasm "Nice shoes. Did you get them from Aldi*?" Evidently implying that my shoes were cheap and tacky. Me being the socially clueless specimen I was back then, was totally confused. My shoes weren't even cheap; they were similar to the kind of shoes every other girl was wearing. I honestly thought this girl was mistaken so I tried to explain
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Everyone else liked this. Seriously? Is this a prank? Did I read the same book you did???? I want to exchange this one for the one you all read, ‘cause my version was a real pile of shit.

Obviously I’m taking the road less traveled and posting an unpopular opinion. Consider yourselves warned . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

“I thought you were sick of boring girls.”

I am. Good lord believe me, I am! Let me just wrap this bitch up real quick and I’ll never
Theresa
"Boring Girls" by Sara Taylor is a very bizarre novel. The protagonist, Rachel is an angry little wallflower who finds solace in heavy metal music. She meets a new friend, Fern, who is also a lover of heavy metal, and the socially awkward twosome form a band of their very own. This is a part coming-of-age part revenge thriller novel. About halfway through, Rachel and Fern go through a traumatizing, life-changing event. The girls make a pact to seek revenge against their enemies. I liked the ...more
Mauoijenn
*NetGalley book review*

You know when your reading along and then you look to your side or up from your book thinking "Did I just read that correctly?" Only to reread it and yep, you read it right the first time and get all shocked or enraged. Well I had many moments like this while reading this book. I could personally see a lot of myself in the Rachel character. I like music, I'm morbid and wanted to be in a band. But some bad things happen to Rachel and her friend Fern. Very bad. All in all I
Drew
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary, adult
“Fern and I could not forgive. And the reason we murdered these people was very simple.

It was for revenge.”

4 1/2 stars

Well, this is incredibly awkward. This is the coming of age story of a psychopath, and I thought it was really, really good.

The main character, Rachel, is completely nuts. She gets excited imagining inflicting horrible violence on people and fantasizes about blood.

It all started when Rachel was twelve and came across a gory picture in her mom's art book. The picture showed two
Heather *Undercover Goth Queen*
You wouldn't think so, from the description, but this book was kind of boring.

The writing lacked style and energy, rendering intense scenes dull. Rachel was one of the most annoying, arrogant, and delusional main characters I've ever read, so much so that I couldn't feel any sympathy for her, even after something bad happened to her. Sympathy would have been crucial, because it would have made the ending all the more dramatic. I did start to feel for her a little toward the end, but by then it
Yonaily
Kristi
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of those books that you begin to read thinking and feeling one way, and by the end of it, you have a completely different wave of emotion and thought.

The main character is unrecognizable by final page, and the transformation is surreal. I felt a surge of hatred for several characters in the book, and found that I both loved and hated Rachel.
She was a girl I once was, she was a girl I could have been friends with, and she was the girl I didn't like all at once.

Truthfully, this isn’t a book
Richelle
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was one of those situations where the book chose me.. I seen it on the new release wall.. it had just come in that day.. I picked
it up read the back and was immediately sold.. I had no idea when I was going to be able to fit it into the ever growing "to-read" pile but am
I ever glad I did! this was a very unique experience .. I will definitely be reading this one again! if I can ever get it out of my head long enough to forget the details.. so that reading it again would be possible! lol

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
One of the few books that I've read this year that I literally could NOT put down. Boring Girls could've been five stars but the ending was rushed. Still, when most fiction books dealing with rock stars are male-centric, it's nice to read about young women who rock, especially women in metal.

Sarah Taylor gets even bigger props because one of the members of the fictional band is a Black guy with dreds. Given all the whitewashing and the notion that Black people aren't supposed to like metal (I
BookCupid
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
"It wasn't madness and blood lust and something for parents to worry about."

Rachel's an introvert. She keeps to herself, reading and writing on her free time. And then everything changes when a class mate bullies her. Rachel begins listening to Heavy Metal, dressing in black (nothing to do with Goths), and writing dark poetry. Meeting Fern, encourages her to form a band. Finally, Rachel is free to express her real self -- but is violence the only way to do so?

The struggle to be taken seriously
Erin
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, horror
An original and deeply disturbing read. My choice of shelves seems woefully inaccurate because this book is in a category all its own. It was fast paced, engaging, and inspired deep emotions of pity, disgust, and horror, and, most difficult of all, empathy. It really is a mind-fuck kinda book and I felt like I was on the downward journey along with Rachel. I also felt strangely anti - social while reading this. It is a book that does not stay contained within its pages but seeps into the real ...more
Chrissy♥Dev
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Best book ive read all year!!
Could not put it down (except when i had work) but amazing.
Its crazy how Rachel was telling her story from a jail cell from the start to the very end her and Ferns plan.
So entertaining and incredible bold, shocking and twisted plot. If i could give this more than 5 stars i would.
I can't wait for what Sara Taylor has in store for readers!
The coolest part is we are from the same city(BONUS!!)

Nicole
Dec 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Feels like it was written by a 12 year old girl
Ben Babcock
Farren
Oct 08, 2018 marked it as left-4-dead
Boring girls? More like boring novel.

This book should have been practically perfect for me, seeing as how high school freshman me had pink or red or blue dyed hair and wore those comically baggy pants (because that's what "the scene" was long before anybody came up with that stupid term.) But the story just never grabbed my interest by 27% in and I knew it was time to give up.

Was I supposed to sympathize with Rachel? I disliked her right off the bat and I ended up hating her more and more as
Evandro Roberto
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
4.5/5

I REALLY liked this book. Went in with very low expectations, but it sure did surprise me.

Dark. Heavy. Metal.

Edit: (4/May)
I'm gonna round this up because I still find myself thinking about it and wishing Netflix would make it a tv show.
Fleur (FranklyBooks)
Warning for rape, death, slut shaming, heavy descriptions of blood.

This is one of those books that you can only really experience once. Anymore makes the story trite and stale plus, in the case of this book, you probably wouldn’t want to read it again. Yes, the characters are that unlikable. The message wasn’t that great and some scenes made me cringe, but it wasn’t a bad book by any means.

the main character // is a total pain in the ass. Which normally makes me put a book down ASAP, but in
Jina
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
*I will try to avoid spoilers.

Boring Girls by Sara Taylor

Rachel is excelling in school academically but as for the social scene she lives a life of solitude. Except when, being bullied by Brandi

On the way home from her last day of school, for summer break. Rachel hears metal music from a car stopped at a stop sign. The music matched how she felt at that moment. She noticed one bumper sticker she could actually make out the font of, DED.

So, she went to the music store and inquired about DED (Die
Aless
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. My jaw dropped reading this and did not go back up.
This book is about metal and the metal scene, a coming of age story, misogyny, female friendship, and (dark) fantasies. If any of those topics interest you, I recommend Boring Girls to you.

I've never read a fiction book about metal before, so reading this made me so happy. The author Sara is actually singer Chibi from The Birthday Massacre, one of my favourite bands. I heard a while ago she'd released a book and I decided it was
Green.T.
I have to admit I was nervous about reading about a teenage girls start in the music industry. It's not a genre I usually read. But Rachel felt so realistic to me and this instantly made me connect with this book. The author didn't overly villainize her, nor did she try to make her too sympathetic. She just told a great story, for the reader to take from it what they wanted. Loved this about the book and it's definitely worth a read.

Rachel

Fern
paula moreira❥
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
this was probably the most different book to read. The characters were different, the plot was also really different. Overall, I think it was pretty good. Even though the ending wasn't the best, but it was very expected so it didn't faze me much...Advise you, if you don't like things that are very detailed about blood, then this may not be the book for youuuu. (:
Lea
Mar 11, 2015 marked it as to-read
Because Emily May compared it to Black Iris. It just doesn't get any better than this.

No, I still haven't read BI. But I just know it's going to be mind-blowing.
Casey Ferneyhough
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
I really liked the story and the idea of the book but there were just some things that really bugged me about it. The first being the narrator. I get that she's young but some of the things were just so juvenile that it made it hard to read at points. The second was the way they talked about other women. Degrading different types of women because they weren't like her is uncomfortable to read. She puts down women that are more sexual than her and it just kinda sucks to read.
Megan
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
More like 3.5 toward the end since the momentum vanished at the very end and resolution was rushed, but everything else leading up to it did not disappoint and sped along like an electric shock. Love love loved about the first 200 pages or so. Fast paced and mean spirited.
Clementine
Actual rating: 1.5

So this morning I woke up and thought I would finally type some reviews of boring books I have read but put off. Like any normal human being, I tend to avoid boredom. Anyway. Here we are. Boring girls is without a doubt the most boring book I have read this year. I have honestly unlocked a new level of boredom with this book. I hate to compare books, but what the hell I did it in the other review I just typed so let's keep going. Okay, yeah, this book is the Canadian version of
Gillian
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was absolutely thrilled when I heard that my favorite front woman of my favorite band had written a novel. From the little that I know about her she is into the darker themes, as am I so I had really high hopes for this book. One of the reasons I love TBM is I love their lyrical style, I've never loved a band's lyrics more than I love TBM's. That being said I also know that several members part take in the writing of the music and approached the book with the knowledge that this was Chibi's ...more
Joanna
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Wow. I'm still reeling. One thing's for certain: Taylor definitely knows how to play up a moment. Some pretty intense stuff happens in this book, as all blurbs have promised, and none of it has the jarring resonance of shock value or is diluted entirely by poor pacing or overly speculative filler prose. Taylor is a deft writer with a strong voice. Every page, every paragraph of Boring Girls propels you forward and forward until you reach the insane finale.

To me, Boring Girls tells the story of
Benedikt Stehr
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There's always a certain expectation we have with books. You write your own story in the back of your head, you assume you know what you're about to experience and sometimes you're not far from the mark.

Forget it.
Not with this one.

It is a coming of age story but not exclusively. It feels like a messed up fairytale and a Tarantino movie, but without all the exaggeration. It is like living a whole life without getting answers to the most creepy questions.

It is unique, it is dark, it is real.

Brian
Aug 11, 2015 rated it liked it
This book started out as a solid 5 star for me, and quickly dropped as the book went on. Rachel is a loner in school who doesn't feel like she fits in. She gets picked on by a female bully and doesn't have any friends. She becomes friends with Josephine, a plain girl who is transferred from a nearby school. But then she discovers heavy metal music, or "screamo" music and falls in love with the genre. She decides to start a band and enlists the help of one of Josephine's friends, the very ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Dangerous Boys
  • The Sculptress
  • Zodiac Starforce Volume 1: By the Power of Astra
  • The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets
  • Tell Me No Lies (Follow Me Back #2)
  • The Color of Lies
  • The Last 8 (The Last 8, #1)
  • Living Dead Girl
  • Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia
  • Wade in the Water: Poems
  • The Thunder Girls
  • Nachtschwärmer
  • Your Perfect Life
  • The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance
Sara Taylor sings and writes songs for the Billboard-charting band The Birthday Massacre. She lives in Toronto, Ontario, with her Shetland sheepdog.
“I realized how much it must suck to be a parent. You devote everything to your kids, who just end up growing up and disliking you. I felt bad for them briefly, but at least they had each other. In that moment I decided I wouldn't have kids. I don't think I could handle the level of betrayal I'd feel once I realized they weren't interested in me anymore.” 0 likes