Start by marking “Seaver the Weaver” as Want to Read:
Seaver the Weaver

Seaver the Weaver

Seaver is an orb spider with a sky full of inspiration. His siblings prefer tradition and aren’t afraid to let him know. But Seaver doesn’t mind! He loves his new shapes and isn’t afraid to stand out. Told with quiet charm, this picture book tangles readers in a web of delight.
Published March 17th 2015 by Mighty Media Kids (first published March 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Seaver the Weaver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seaver the Weaver

Start your review of Seaver the Weaver
Erica
Apr 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: meh, animals, picture-book
THIS BOOK LIES!

Wait, wait. Let me state a boring thing first: I like spiders and I have a super special soft spot in my heart for orb weavers, so much so that when I find them, I make them my pets and I feed them stunned houseflies. I seriously love them.

Back to the LIES!

I just want you all to know that spiders do not catch bugs based on the individuality of their webs. It's not like some webs look more fancy and so the moths fly into those ones. Spiders catch bugs based on where they put their
Papaphilly
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, fiction
A fun children's book for 4-6 year olds. A simple story pushing complex issues, such as follow your dreams, new ideas are good, and fitting in. The analogy using spiders is a very good one and works well. The artwork is both visually stimulating, yet a bit understated. This works well in not over whelming the story and the lessons and is plain fun to look at. I really like the way the tale repeats itself much like The Little Red Hen.
Juliana Lee
I love, love, love this story! Not only is Seaver a unique webmaster, he is also kind to his brothers and sisters who insist that he change. Now, Seaver did not change, but his brothers and sisters did! http://julianaleewriter.com/books-ali...
Jesse
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Well. Despite my fear/dislike/general uneasiness of spiders the story is successful in its attempt to cherish individuality. However, the illustrations creep me out spectacularly. Good message, but I am definitely not the intended audience for this one. Yeesh.
Sue Mosher
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A unique way to teach children about shapes, and about being yourself.
Mary
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy
Seaver the orb spider makes webs in a variety of shapes inspired by his view of the night sky. He persists despite the disdain of his relatives who make traditional round webs. In addition to their interesting shapes, Seaver's webs successfully capture prey.
Repetition and pattern make this delightful story especially appropriate for preschool and Kindergarten. Useful for talking about shapes, spiders, and non-conformity.
Bonn
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unusual, but a lovely spider's tale about agency and individuality
Kari Percival
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous illustrations by the Brothers Hilts made me pick up this book, and Paul Czajak's encouraging story about embracing your gifts keeps me wanting to read it over and over to my four-year-old. The contrast between tiny, secretive, competitive-sibling spiders building webs, and the creative inspiration Seaver the Weaver finds in the cool, limitless night sky twinkling with stars, brings me to a calm, hopeful and confident place. Inspired by orb weavers but NOT a natural history book, this ...more
Tolkiengirl
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
One of my daughters loves spiders and this was a great read. Great illustrations.
ACS Book-finder
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Seaver the Weaver is a delightful story about an orb spider who has a unique outlook on weaving his own path. Seaver has many brothers and sisters who tell him that they are orb spiders and they weave round webs and that if he wants to be an orb weaver, “then your web needs to look like ours.” Seaver wants to do like his brothers and sisters tell him, but he can’t resist the beautiful shapes he sees in the night sky and takes great pride in weaving those shapes. Each time his family reminds him ...more
Regina L
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Seaver is a spider with lots of brothers and sisters who like to spin their webs the same way. Every night hundreds of them spin webs shaped as orbs. But not Seaver. He spins triangles, squares, rhumbas, and other interesting shapes. His siblings scold him every morning when they see these strange webs and say “If you want to be an orb spinner, your web needs to look like ours”. But Seaver is too creative and full of inspiration to be just like everybody else. Will Seaver’s siblings change their ...more
Carrie Charley Brown
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Seaver the Weaver highlights the efforts of a small orb spider who initiates a unique approach to weaving. Unlike his brothers and sisters, Seaver’s webs are various shapes and sizes and quivering with life. With underlying themes of self assurance, celebrating differences, and perseverance, Paul Czajak’s story is surrounded with positivity. Repeated refrains enhance the storyline and will elicit multiple rereads as the reader fosters a relationship with the text patterns. In tones of midnight ...more
Stephanie Croaning
Jun 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2015
First off, this is purely a fictional story featuring orb weaver spiders as the main characters. It is not meant to teach data or facts about them.

This book has a very positive theme -- being unique and true to yourself will lead to success in life. Seaver is an orb weaver who is inspired by the shapes he sees in the stars at night. A very poetic and beautiful image. The webs he weaves are not in the typical circular shape, but feature many different angles and shapes. At first this frustrates
Angie Quantrell
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
CJ
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Seaver the Weaver by Paul Czajak came to me through a Goodread's Giveaway contest and is a fun tale about a little spider who becomes inspired to spin his webs according to the shapes he sees in the starry night sky. At first I thought that this story was to help young children learn some shapes but as I continued to read, it dawned on me that this is a tale of the rewarding experience of being true to yourself instead of being just like everyone else.
Jillian Heise
I'm not sure how accurate this story is about the type of spider and webs, but I don't think it's intended to be. I appreciate the message of following your own inspiration and being your own creative person instead of following the crowd or what you're supposed to do because of who you are. I have to admit, I really don't like spiders, and these illustrations gave the spider a face that seems creepy to me.
Gentle
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I received a copy of Seaver the Weaver via Goodreads. This story about a spider who is unique and going against the norm can help teach children a good lesson about being yourself. That it's ok to be who you truly are and not feel compelled to do what everyone else is doing just because they tell you to. That's what earned it three stars.
Seaver is inspired by the stars at night and just can't seem to make round webs like his siblings, he makes triangle, square, and hexagon webs like his precious constellations. A sweet story about following your heart despite peer pressure. Definitely a nice group read aloud.
Amanda Augsburger
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully illustrated story about a spider who ignores what he is "supposed" to do in favor of what he wants to do. As a bonus, it is a great intro into shapes. Would make a great read aloud or lap read. One of my favorite picture books so far this year!
Lynn  Davidson
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very interesting story that informs about this weaver spider while setting up a comical scenario. The bonus is the encouragement for children who may not be sure of themselves or their talents. Fun illustrations.
Sandy Brehl
Arachnids may be locked into patterns by their inherent programming, but not Seaver, who finds inspiration in the stars. There is wry humor and a quiet portrayal of persistence that lifts a simple story to a higher level. Almost a parable or fable, which wisely avoids stating the lesson at the end.
Carrie Guipe
My 2 YO couldn't sit through it. It's about shapes and about thinking differently. Repetitive. The illustrations were a bit monochrome. I think it might be better for slightly older kids but then, the shape learning has already occurred so I feel like some of the purpose of the book is lost.
Stacy
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Another book about it being okay to be different. He weaves different shapes in his webs and is the only who who catches bugs. In the end, the spiders want Seaver to teach them how to weave different webs.
Lizzie
Dec 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Inspired by the night sky, Seaver is a spider that breaks with family tradition to build a different shaped web. My favorite thing about this book is the night sky drawings: the dark navy color and the pinkish moonlight are unique.
Diane
Jul 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Seaver enjoys weaving unique webs, rather than orbs. His brothers and sisters keep reminding him he is an orb weaver, but Seaver's webs are always more successful, too. Finally, his brothers and sisters agree.
Carol Ekster
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect read aloud for elementary students to teach about individuality and reinforce the study of polygons. Beautifully written with perfect illustrations to compliment the words. Wonderful picture book.
Debby Baumgartner
What do you do when you are an orb spider and have an imagination? Do you give up and become like everyone else that weaves circular webs?
Faythe
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great for discussing constellations and being yourself!
Sheri
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good story to read to children to talk about individuality and shapes and spiders. This puts spiders in a friendly light and shows how orb spiders spin their webs.
Jason
Mar 28, 2016 added it
Shelves: picture-books
Another story about a misfit who does things differently from the rest. Ho hum except for the very end, which was punchline funny.

• The Tortoise & the Hare