Start by marking “Drinking with the Saints: Cocktails & Spirits for Saints & Sinners” as Want to Read:
Drinking with the Saints: Cocktails & Spirits for Saints & Sinners

Drinking with the Saints: Cocktails & Spirits for Saints & Sinners

Ever wondered what your patron saint imbibed in according to the religious calendar? Find out in Michael P. Foleys Drinking with the Saints. ...more
Published March 9th 2015 by Regnery History

To ask other readers questions about Drinking with the Saints, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drinking with the Saints

Start your review of Drinking with the Saints: Cocktails & Spirits for Saints & Sinners
John
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I first came across this book while at the gift shop for St. Anthony's Reliquary in Troy Hill (Pittsburgh), the biggest collection of relics outside of the Vatican.

I was raised strongly Catholic, went K-8 and then to a Jesuit University, but lost my faith somewhere between high school and college. Yet, I've always maintained an irreverent curiosity towards Catholicism eccentricities, esotericisms, and magnificent corpses.

So, with a playful subtitle "The Sinner's Guide to a Holy Happy Hour", I
H.R.
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Drinking with the Saints is a delight. Not only is it tastefully written (pun intended, of course) but it is also thoughtfully presented and very well researched. Foley's breadth of learning is evident in every storyfor he offers stories, not "lessons" about each drink and the saint with whom it is associatednever pedantic but rather always light and wry. Indeed, you can learn a great deal by reading this book without feeling that you're doing so. So, it's not "Hats off to Foley," but rather ...more
Emily McFarlan Miller
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, saints
Amazon knows me too well. It suggested this upcoming book as I was browsing at Christmastime, and I immediately preordered it based on the title alone. When it arrived, hardcover and coffee table-sized, it was even better than I had imagined. It includes a saint and cocktail recipe for each day, as well as cocktail recipes organized by liturgical season, toasts, pictures and a weird sense of humor.
Kelly
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-cliff
This book is amazing - it's creative, informative and very fun. My husband and I have enjoyed reading it so far (as well as getting recommendations for cocktails, etc). It is also a beautiful book - love that it's hardcover! I also enjoy that there are additional sections on liturgical seasons and that there are directions for toasts! Love this book and I would recommend it to anyone.
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is so great that while I took it out of the library, I may actually need to purchase it. Basically, it's a guide to getting to understand the saints better, while honoring them with a specific alcoholic beverage. He does encourage sharing and moderation; but there is definitely a sense of dark humor running through this.

There are several interesting, almost forgotten cocktail recipes in here; the author also suggests beers and wines where appropriate. There are many saints in here
Amanda
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book, the format is great. It was informative and funny. But, I don't understand why some well known saints were left out like Maximilian Kolbe, Edith Stein and Martin de Porres. Also, the entries were inconsistent with content that did not seem to match the importance of the saint. For example, both Therese of Liseaux and Teresa of Avila had rather short entries which did not befit doctors of the church, while Maria Goretti had a much larger spread.
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It's a years worth of knowledge and a years worth of drinking, of course it's one of those daily things of interest, so I'm really saying I have it and i try to read it every day to learn something new.
Kevin Lanahan
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lighthearted drinking guide to the lives of the saints. Most of the cocktails do not call for exotic ingredients (like a liqueur that you will use once and never ever ever again), but the author does find some fairly exotic tipples that he suggests substitutes for.
Christiandebergerac
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clever, witty, and fun its a strange mix between cocktail book and saint of the day readings. A true joy! Just be ready to blow out your liquor/beer/wine cabinet! ...more
Fides
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: catholic, hagiography
I like the book. I really do. It has a lot of fantastic content.

However, I am completely disappointed the organization of the entire book.

This book follows an outdated calendar of feast days. If you want to find the correct feast day, you have to turn to an appendix. The author justifies this by listing two reasons. First, he says "several of the drinks" in the book developed when the outdated calendar was in place. However, it appears that MOST of the drink recipes are pretty new, so that
Janet
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Didn't get to look through the whole thing but so far I really like the idea of this book. It seems to be very clever and the author definitely had to have put a lot of work into it. This is one I'm actually going to buy since I can't see myself constantly trying to check it out from the library.
Brad Epp
Jun 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Alcohol has ruined lives- drunkenness is always wrong . No doubt about that. But, as Bp Randy Adler (RIP) said, The Church needs to teach the world how to drink. ...more
Annette Siverson Romanoff
This is a terrific book to add to your library, especially if you have a beverage section, like I do!
 Julie
a fun and informative book!
Erika Malone

• Near the Exit: Travels with the Not-So-Grim Reaper
  • A Pilgrimage to Eternity: From Canterbury to Rome in Search of a Faith
  • Mrs. Poe
  • A Philosophy of Ruin
  • The Mime Order (The Bone Season, #2)
  • Hester Takes Charge (Hester’s Hunt for Home #3)
  • Which Way Home? (Hester’s Hunt for Home, #2)
  • Orange Crushed (Ivy League, #3)
  • Blue Blood (Ivy League, #2)
  • Angel Horses: Divine Messengers of Hope